LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

just27
10k Poster

Re: Heads up

Post by just27 » January 20th, 2010, 7:50 pm

Kona2 wrote:Luna-Tics team - and other casual readers:

I'm heading off to Key West for a friend's 50th bday celebration - stats will be back on the 26th or 27th. I'll do my best to find a rower while there so I can contribute to the challenge meters. I'll be able to connect up to the forum so I can cheer people onward...bully bully... :D , but thought I'd see how it went without the stats for a few days. If it doesn't work well, then we'll do something different. Row lots!! K2 aka Jan

Oh, poor you ... do try to enjoy yourself! Perhaps you can write "ROW LUNA-TICS" in the stunning white sand, and post us a picture ... :)

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Post by Kona2 » January 20th, 2010, 8:24 pm

just27 wrote:Perhaps you can write "ROW LUNA-TICS" in the stunning white sand, and post us a picture ... :)
I like that idea....will have to see if I can manage it.... :D

kgallagher
2k Poster

Post by kgallagher » January 20th, 2010, 8:43 pm

I'll do my best to survive without you Jan. :wink: Have fun on your journey!

Thanks for fixing my picture for me. :D I finally have a face on the forum. By the way, the medal I'm holding is a bronze medal from Masters Nationals from the summer of 2009. I was 2 seat in a women's B 8+.

Karyn

acrewer
2k Poster

Re: Racing ?'s

Post by acrewer » January 21st, 2010, 12:23 am

kgallagher wrote:
acrewer wrote:To those who have done a Crash-B type race....

I'm pretty OK as far as the race planning goes. I'm planning on 1:59;2:00;2:01;1:58 splints. I think I can do this...I know the 3rd 500 is the hardest. I think I'll have enough to sprint the last 200 m....it's about a minute and I can do anything for a minute, right?

My question is how to taper this week in preparation for the race. I won't be rowing at all on Saturday, so I'll be well rested. Any suggestions for workouts this week?

Gina
You can easily do the splits you listed. You're strong and fit. Don't be surprised if you go out a little harder than 1:59 at the start. I'll look back at my data when I get home and see if I can give you some guidance based on what I've done in the past.

If I was to do one now, this would be my general plan: I wouldn't go too crazy the week before the race. I'd do a light steady state row the day before for maybe 20-30 min. No pressure, just something to keep me loose and moving. The day before that, I'd do a long warm up 10-15 min with some high 10s thrown in. Then I do shortened segments of the race: start, middle, sprint. I'd do a start and high 20, paddle for a 2-3 minutes, middle 20-40 strokes at race pace, paddle for 2-3 min. then a sprint for about a minute. I'd paddle for 5-10 min. and repeat.

I'm excited for you and with you in spirit. Good luck!
Thank you Karen, just the advice I needed.

Today I did my warm up - the following sequence has been really helpful:

4 min @ 18 s/m 2:30
4 min @ 20 s/m 2:27
3 min @ 22 s/m 2:24
1 min @ 24 s/m 2:18
30 sec @ 26-28 s/m
2 min @ 18 s/m 2:30
45 sec @ 28-30 s/m
30 sec @ 30-32 s/m

this takes 19:45 but is really worth it, I feel rev'd up but not tired. I found it on a UK website, don't remember which one.

Today I did 6 x 1' on 2' off; I was able to do 30 s/m @ 1:51 for most of the intervals. Kind of surprised me. Tomorrow I'll practice some starts, then Friday I'll do a longer steady state row. Saturday is rest and Sunday is the race! Lets just hope the storms clear.

Gina

acrewer
2k Poster

Post by acrewer » January 21st, 2010, 12:25 am

kgallagher wrote:I'll do my best to survive without you Jan. :wink: Have fun on your journey!

Thanks for fixing my picture for me. :D I finally have a face on the forum. By the way, the medal I'm holding is a bronze medal from Masters Nationals from the summer of 2009. I was 2 seat in a women's B 8+.

Karyn
If this was in Long Beach, CA...I was there watching you!

Gina

big maq
500m Poster

Post by big maq » January 21st, 2010, 12:55 pm

Have fun in Florida
Mitch

BAZzy
6k Poster

Post by BAZzy » January 21st, 2010, 5:13 pm

I'm heading off to Key West for a friend's 50th bday celebration - stats will be back on the 26th or 27th. I'll do my best to find a rower while there so I can contribute to the challenge meters. I'll be able to connect up to the forum so I can cheer people onward...bully bully... :D , but thought I'd see how it went without the stats for a few days. If it doesn't work well, then we'll do something different. Row lots!! K2 aka Jan
Enjoy :D

BBB
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

kgallagher
2k Poster

Re: Racing ?'s

Post by kgallagher » January 21st, 2010, 9:28 pm

acrewer wrote:
kgallagher wrote:
acrewer wrote:To those who have done a Crash-B type race....

I'm pretty OK as far as the race planning goes. I'm planning on 1:59;2:00;2:01;1:58 splints. I think I can do this...I know the 3rd 500 is the hardest. I think I'll have enough to sprint the last 200 m....it's about a minute and I can do anything for a minute, right?

Gina
You can easily do the splits you listed. You're strong and fit. Don't be surprised if you go out a little harder than 1:59 at the start.
acrewer wrote:Thank you Karen, just the advice I needed.

Today I did 6 x 1' on 2' off; I was able to do 30 s/m @ 1:51 for most of the intervals. Kind of surprised me. Tomorrow I'll practice some starts, then Friday I'll do a longer steady state row. Saturday is rest and Sunday is the race! Lets just hope the storms clear.
Gina
Wow, 1:51 splits. IMPRESSIVE! I wouldn't be surprised if you beat my best 2k time from 2006 on Sunday. Actually, I expect you will and hope you do. It sounds like you are well prepared. I'll be thinking of you and eager to hear how you made out. All the best!

Karyn

PS(My masters nationals race was on the east coast, so I'm afraid you didn't get to see me. I only race in the ones that are semi-local.)

acrewer
2k Poster

Post by acrewer » January 22nd, 2010, 12:30 am

Thanks for all the good wishes...probably won't be able to post again until after the race. I'm seated next to Mary Perrot; who won the CRASH -B Boston last year, so that's a bit intimidating. I told my son, it's like playing HORSE with an NBA star. Mostly I have to remember to row my own race. If I try to keep up with her I will fly 'n die.

Tonite I did 4 x 500 m with 1 min rest. 1:58.9; 1:57.6; 1:58.8; 1:59.7 I feel pretty good about the race.

Karen - that's right, I went to see the 2008 Nationals.

Gina

andreacs
2k Poster

Re: She's a FOUR million meter gal!

Post by andreacs » January 22nd, 2010, 12:52 am

Kona2 wrote: Woohoo and yeah, Barbara! Congratulations on achieving a FOUR million meter season! We wish you many, many more!

Much belated congratulations Barbara!

Andrea

andreacs
2k Poster

Re: Birthdays

Post by andreacs » January 22nd, 2010, 12:55 am

DuluthMoose wrote:Kiba - Happy (belated) Birthday! Hope you get back on the Internet soon!

AJ - Happy Birthday Today! Enjoy Your Day!

Much belatedly, I add my best wishes!

Andrea

andreacs
2k Poster

Re: Woohoo! A First!

Post by andreacs » January 22nd, 2010, 12:57 am

bg wrote:
Kona2 wrote:ImageImageImage

Woohoo! A first half marathon...ever! Congratulations, Mike M...on completing one of the rites of passage!
congrats mike...
Ditto!

Andrea

andreacs
2k Poster

Re: Welcome aboard!

Post by andreacs » January 22nd, 2010, 1:06 am

Kona2 wrote:Welcome Sinead - our newest Luna-Tic!
Welcome Sinead!

Happy rowing!

Andrea

andreacs
2k Poster

Re: Tentative Schedule for Beach Sprints

Post by andreacs » January 22nd, 2010, 1:11 am

Kona2 wrote:Ok - we need to send team positrons to Gina on Sunday at 12:55 PM PST - looks like she is tentatively scheduled to row on erg # 2 in event number 23 at 1 PM.

Those positrons are going to be like a wave for you, Gina!
Go Gina go!

Andrea

andreacs
2k Poster

Post by andreacs » January 22nd, 2010, 1:15 am

Have fun and good weather Jan!

Will miss you, but this way nobody will notice that i post just every few days ;).