LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

BAZzy
6k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 12.27.09

Post by BAZzy » December 28th, 2009, 6:01 pm

Kona2 wrote:Image Following the finish of the Blue Moon, crew plans on gathering at the virtual space bar...for virtual drinks! Sounds like we need a west coast person to be the virtual bartender....Minnie? Captain Kristine?
Congratulations to all on recent milestones.....

Looks like the Aussies' will need to help ourselves until the bar opens :wink:

Good luck to all......
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

just27
10k Poster

Bartending

Post by just27 » December 28th, 2009, 9:15 pm

Kristine Strasburger wrote:Maybe I can talk Keith into doing the bar duties this year, unless Minnie really wants to do it. :D
I'm much happier on the patron side of the bar, than tending it ... please, talk to Keith!

Also, Bazz, I'd hate for you day-ahead-Aussies to feel under-represented ... why don't you take the first shift and pass the mixology baton to the US left coast at the appropro time? I guess, until we acquire a team member in Hawaii, PST is always last out the gate.

BAZzy
6k Poster

Re: Bartending

Post by BAZzy » December 29th, 2009, 2:04 am

just27 wrote:
Kristine Strasburger wrote:Maybe I can talk Keith into doing the bar duties this year, unless Minnie really wants to do it. :D
I'm much happier on the patron side of the bar, than tending it ... please, talk to Keith!

Also, Bazz, I'd hate for you day-ahead-Aussies to feel under-represented ... why don't you take the first shift and pass the mixology baton to the US left coast at the appropro time? I guess, until we acquire a team member in Hawaii, PST is always last out the gate.
I don't mind a Martini from time to time, although risk is I'll be a bit tipsy before you even start to row...... :D what do I need to do?

On another note, it turns out that we Aussies don't actually get a blue moon....all to much for a simple bloke like myself...but here is the story :?

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/oops-t ... -lify.html
www.thelandy.com

Calamity
1k Poster

new moon

Post by Calamity » December 29th, 2009, 10:43 am

interesting Aus article, although I think there was a misquote in it. Time zones are based on longitude not latitude as the Mr Rigby states in the article.
Anyway is there a job description for a virtual bartender? I do not live in HAwaii but WA state is almost last. I might be willing to take orders - I did help oversee the GYPSY bar at Yale as an executive member of the graduate professional student senate. We have 22 wineries in our area and grow 78% of all the hops in the country.

Jane
If my job app is accepted, pm me your drink orders. I could post them in the evening of Dec 31 PST

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 12.28.09

Post by Kona2 » December 29th, 2009, 12:37 pm

New Year's Resolutions....for those who make these, the list often includes more exercise, weight loss, spend time with friends.....sounds like a perfect fit for the virtual rowing team challenge! We'll provide you with virtual workout buddies, opportunities for plenty of exercise, cheerleading (can't get that everywhere!), and a boatload of virtual friends! Not to mention the thrill of competition as we row against all the rowing teams in the rowing universe....

53 Luna-Tics are on the roster for the January Virtual Team Challenge....always room for more in the Moon Shuttle! Game on in two days for the Aussies....

2010 Luna-Tics January Virtual Challenge Team…as of this posting:

David Ballard
Darryl Bathel
Karon Baucum
Gene Bayersdorfer
Noelle Boyle
Jim Brink
Rick Carveth
Kiba Chan
Brandy Cowley-Gilbert
Ted Cowley-Gilbert
Daniel Cox
Mike Crossley
Roger Evens
Karyn Gallagher
Rodrigo Garcia
Tim Garlick
barbara grandberg
Ken Guenther
William Haag
Mary Harper
Dave Hunter
Peter Huurman
Mitch Johnson
Tibby Kull
Bill Lamon
Steven Larky
Michael Leonard
Gina Levy
John Longmire
Lilia Luna-Huurman
Richard Miller
Mike Mulvihill
Jane Newall
Anais Newall-Vuillemot
Stephen Newman
Barry O'Malley
Thomas O'Malley
Steve Overland
Laurie Pachter
Angelo Papadopoulos
Anthony Parendo
Tom Pinckney
Tim Porter
Tom Rosengarth
Will Salach
Dana Smith
Jan Stevenson
Kristine Strasburger
Tim Strasburger
Ben Strasburger
Chris Tudury
Bart Valgaeren
Andy Ward

Image Jane's volunteered.!!!...I believe that's all that is required in the virtual bartender job description....send her your post Blue Moon drink orders as we bring in the New Year....

Season Meters as of 242/365 = 73,446,563 m

Total Meters on the Day = 301,960 m

Oars in space (participation) = 25 percent

MILESTONES....Bragging Rights....Celebrations:

3.7 MM Barbara
1.7 MM Rodrigo
1.6 MM K2 aka Jan

Image Red giant for Rodrigo with 67,668 m posted today
Image Barbara leads the half moonies with 25,977 m and half marathon/moon # 123
Image Chris with half marathon # 159
Image Peter H might be rowing in Top Gear with what some say is half marathon # 41...

FOUR Million Meter Watch:

Image Wowzer...Minnie with only (37,362 m) to go! She's in the red zone!

Will S with (111,908 m) to go!

TWO Million Meter Watch:

Ted with (130,390 m) to go!

ONE Million Meter Watch:

Kenneth G with (88,303 m) to go!

Mike C with (114,564 m) to go!

And thanks to everyone who rowed today....every meter counts!

Tony Image 3,333 m
Bish 5,402 m .... closing in on 100K
Jeff 6,967 m
Peter G 7,000 m
Mary 7,251 m ... almost to 400K
Mitch J 8,012 m
Teresa 9,203 m
Steve O 10,000 m
Mike M 10,000 m
Rick 10,000 m
K2 10,000 m
Will S 10,305 m
Rich 10,507 m
Ted 12,000 m
Baz 14,255 m
Darryl 14,720 m
Peter H 21,097 m
Chris 21,097 m
Barbara 25,977 m
Rodrigo 67,668 m

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Hello Out There

Post by Kona2 » December 29th, 2009, 12:41 pm

Image ???

Somewhere in the western world (we think), Wild Bill's rowing machine is calling him.....

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

Blue Moon

Post by DuluthMoose » December 29th, 2009, 1:07 pm

BAZzy - Interesting debate you got going in OZ over a blue moon. But I say to your wizzards: Technical! - Schmectical! The challenge rules are to row 5,000 meters twice on Dec 31 meaning anytime that day. It's titled by Concept as the Blue Moon Challenge. Doesn't matter where on the planet! Doesn't have to be the exact hour of the full moon! So what goes on in Concept's Blue Moon, Stays in Blue Moon! Concept trumps wizardry!

Jane - If you can locate the last New Glarus Uff Da Bock for me that would be great! I still can't figure why they discontined that great tasting bock this past summer......

Kona2
Marathon Poster

No Blue Moon Challenge in 2010

Post by Kona2 » December 29th, 2009, 1:49 pm

Concept2 has posted their challenge calendar....great to download and get printed up (it's 17 x 11 I think)....and I didn't see a Blue Moon Challenge on the posting....

I think Australia gets all the blue moons for 2010 (or the 2011 rowing year), and those in the northern hemisphere have nada.....a rowing year without a Blue Moon Challenge?! Say it isn't so!

nl07695
1k Poster

Re: No Blue Moon Challenge in 2010

Post by nl07695 » December 29th, 2009, 4:12 pm

Kona2 wrote:and I didn't see a Blue Moon Challenge on the posting....

I think Australia gets all the blue moons for 2010 (or the 2011 rowing year), and those in the northern hemisphere have nada.....a rowing year without a Blue Moon Challenge?! Say it isn't so!
Hi Jan, There was an article in the Dutch newspaper this morning, They interviewed a boffin from a Dutch university.
The next blue moon is August 2012, then only July 2015.

So row for your blue moon certificates they are quite unique!!

just27
10k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 12.28.09

Post by just27 » December 29th, 2009, 4:32 pm

Kona2 wrote: Jane's volunteered.!!!...I believe that's all that is required in the virtual bartender job description....send her your post Blue Moon drink orders as we bring in the New Year....
Yay, Jane. No more arm-twisting necessary ... and with actual past experience, also! Please put me down for a Kir Royale ... and I'll try to hold my dismay when someone requests Champagne and Guinness ... no names mentioned. (I'm sure your in-house junior team members will learn some useful college skills from JUST WATCHING you!)

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 12.28.09

Post by Toothdoc » December 29th, 2009, 4:56 pm

just27 wrote:
Kona2 wrote: Jane's volunteered.!!!...I believe that's all that is required in the virtual bartender job description....send her your post Blue Moon drink orders as we bring in the New Year....
Yay, Jane. No more arm-twisting necessary ... and with actual past experience, also! Please put me down for a Kir Royale ... and I'll try to hold my dismay when someone requests Champagne and Guinness ... no names mentioned. (I'm sure your in-house junior team members will learn some useful college skills from JUST WATCHING you!)

Jane,

Put me down for a New Glarus Spotted Cow. Thanks

toothdoc

BAZzy
6k Poster

Re: Blue Moon

Post by BAZzy » December 29th, 2009, 5:27 pm

DuluthMoose wrote:BAZzy - Interesting debate you got going in OZ over a blue moon. But I say to your wizzards: Technical! - Schmectical! The challenge rules are to row 5,000 meters twice on Dec 31 meaning anytime that day. It's titled by Concept as the Blue Moon Challenge. Doesn't matter where on the planet! Doesn't have to be the exact hour of the full moon! So what goes on in Concept's Blue Moon, Stays in Blue Moon! Concept trumps wizardry!

Jane - If you can locate the last New Glarus Uff Da Bock for me that would be great! I still can't figure why they discontined that great tasting bock this past summer......
Moose....With you all the way on this one.....too much for a young one like myself....I'll just row, and enjoy the moon whenever it turns up!

On another note...watch out for the fireworks on the Sydney Harbour Bridge tomorrow night...going to be a 'blue' theme as it turns out...... B)

http://www.smh.com.au/national/its-so-n ... -lir8.html
www.thelandy.com

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Sydney Harbour Bridge fireworks

Post by Kona2 » December 29th, 2009, 5:56 pm

Blue fireworks - now that would be cool indeed! I will be watching the fireworks at Grand Lake, CO...where they will be over the lake. No word yet on whether the fireworks will be blue, but it definitely will be colder than in Sydney. Snowfall is predicted. Elevation here is 8350 ft and temps have been in the minus column overnight. My not so speedy rowing is even slower at altitude. Gasp.

By the way, if anyone is interested in creating a blue moon tshirt or whatever from Cafe Press, the Concept2 folks emailed me the png file. Concept2 did not set up a Cafe Press Blue Moon Challenge shop as no one bought anything from it last year, but they are willing to set it up if we would like to create specific items.

just27
10k Poster

G-l-o-r-i-a

Post by just27 » December 29th, 2009, 11:49 pm

Hi and Welcome, Gloria!

kgallagher
2k Poster

Re: new moon

Post by kgallagher » December 30th, 2009, 12:41 am

Calamity wrote:I did help oversee the GYPSY bar at Yale as an executive member of the graduate professional student senate.
I am one Loonie that can proudly say I've been to the GYPSY bar on a few occasions. I'm not a Yalie, but a New Haven resident with Yalie friends.

This year, I would like to go for a whiskey sour made with a fine Irish whiskey, such as Knappouge Castle. (Yum!)

Karyn