TimbukTOO Team Room

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » November 20th, 2009, 12:56 am

STU HAS PASSED THE 400,000 METER MARK !!!!!!

WAY TO ROW!!!!!
Pat
B)
[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Animations/diddle-1.gif[/img]

chris hughes
500m Poster

Post by chris hughes » November 20th, 2009, 7:45 pm

Just wondering if we have any sports injury experts on the team.

Jim you seem to know a little about achilles tendon injury. My internet diagnosis is incomplete. Seems the burning in the back of my heel is probably inflamation of my achilles.

I rested for a week and took enough NSAID for a small elephant. Still no better. Have been doing stretches and ice after rowing.

Strangely it does not hurt during rowing only when I walk afterwards. (maybe I should stay on the rower).

Help! what can I do with the next challenge looming!! :roll:
Chris H

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » November 21st, 2009, 1:00 am

chris hughes wrote:Just wondering if we have any sports injury experts on the team.

Jim you seem to know a little about achilles tendon injury. My internet diagnosis is incomplete. Seems the burning in the back of my heel is probably inflamation of my achilles.

I rested for a week and took enough NSAID for a small elephant. Still no better. Have been doing stretches and ice after rowing.

Strangely it does not hurt during rowing only when I walk afterwards. (maybe I should stay on the rower).

Help! what can I do with the next challenge looming!! :roll:
Hi Chris!!
I am no expert but am a personal trainer with some knowledge of this.The achilles tendon is a very slow recovering injury.Not a nice one to have.I helped a young man with rehab for his repaired achilles tendon several years ago and it was quite involved.Tendons of any kind when torn take a very long time to heal.Injections with steroids is what some docs give to relieve the pain.Not sure if the achilles is treated in the same way but I have been doing alot of reading etc about this because I have an elbow tendon that has been incredibly nasty.I can row..with the support of a wrap or elbow tendon support and have no issues but when I use that arm for a variety of other range of motions..it is so painful.I have taken my share of ibuprofen too.I took a little time off of rowing..that seemed to help but I couldn't stay away.. :oops: ..so am back and rowing seems to make it feel better but afterwards it tends to get sore.Getting better but very slowly.I guess in a nutshell..the tendons take a long time to heal.I think rest is the answer but we both know we can not rest.. :lol: :lol:
Seeing your doc may be the next step.I am stubborn and rarely see my doc for these type issues.With time they always do well.I had horrible carpal tunnel issues after my first rowing challenge and with lots of research I found ways to combat it and it is almost gone.YAY!!!I refused surgery options.
Sorry for the lengthy post but I tend to get wordy.. :oops:
Hope your issue resolves itself.It should with time and rest if you can bear the thought :lol:

Pat
B)
[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Animations/diddle-1.gif[/img]

chris hughes
500m Poster

Post by chris hughes » November 21st, 2009, 8:44 am

Hi, Pat

Thanks for the reply, I know exactly the elbow pain you describe. I told you about my miracle cure using weights - luckily I am pain free now in my elbow.

I hate going to the Doc with this, he will tell me to stop rowing. I hate to do that as rowing keeps me sane (oxymoron).

I am going to row this week, if it get worse will sit the challenge out this year :(
Chris H

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » November 21st, 2009, 2:08 pm

chris hughes wrote:Hi, Pat

Thanks for the reply, I know exactly the elbow pain you describe. I told you about my miracle cure using weights - luckily I am pain free now in my elbow.

I hate going to the Doc with this, he will tell me to stop rowing. I hate to do that as rowing keeps me sane (oxymoron).

I am going to row this week, if it get worse will sit the challenge out this year :(
I remember your elbow "cure' with the free weights.I keep forgetting that :oops: :lol: :?
Perhaps it is a subconscious thing..I hate free weights.Have alot of them but they take so much time and effort.I like machines better but really have no access to them.Haven't had a gym membership in a few years.I should be the first to be on the ball with my weights but call me lazy.. :lol:

Pat
B)

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » November 21st, 2009, 2:12 pm

FRIDAY NOVEMBER 20th 2009

NOTES FROM THE BOAT

With 44 crew members with their oars in the virtual waters:
#14 in the overall rankings( out of 1232 teams)
#12 in the virtual rankings (out of 121 teams)

23,842,021 meters for the season
70,544 meters for the day

DALTON...1,150 meters
BOBBIE...1,100 meters
PAUL...6,285 meters
YISROEL...8,758 meters
ALISON...3,498 meters
JD..12,406 meters
SHERYL...6,000 meters
JIM...8,332 meters
ANDREW...5,015 meters
PAT...10,000 meters
CHRIS...10,000 meters

GO TEAM!!!

”There ain’t no rules here. We’re trying to accomplish something.”
- Thomas Edison

You need to be aware of what others are doing, applaud their efforts, acknowledge their successes, and encourage them in their pursuits. When we all help one another, everybody wins.”

Pat
B)

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » November 21st, 2009, 2:21 pm

GET READY!!!!!

Image Holiday Challenge

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » November 21st, 2009, 3:20 pm

WELCOME RYAN BACK TO TEAM TimbukTOO !!!!!!!
GREAT TO HAVE YOU ABOARD!!!!!

Pat
B)

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » November 21st, 2009, 4:00 pm

Chris,
Not sure what to say about the injury. When I had trouble with mine several years ago, rowing and biking were what my doctor recommended. Walking was painful and after exercising, i always felt a tightening up and burning. Went the nsaid route too . Eventually, the pain went away. I think you should see your doc . It does take a long time to heal , but there are exercises he can recommend to help out. Good thoughts and prayers I send your way my friend.[ size=18][/size]

ltwt_mt
Paddler

Post by ltwt_mt » November 21st, 2009, 5:21 pm

Thanks Pat. I went through a divorce and went nowhere near my erg. Just moved into a new place with my new girlfriend. I also brought along the 40 extra pounds I gained! Now its time to get back to work. Looking forward to some team motivation and the challenges to get back in shape. Thanks for the support.

Ryan
"Good Day. We are privileged to live another day in this magnificent world. Today you will be tested." Mike Livingston

moodygirl
Paddler

Post by moodygirl » November 22nd, 2009, 1:52 am

I know free weight exercises for the outer part of the elbow, but what about for the inner part. any tricep exercises i do just makes it worse.

Thanks for any info

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » November 22nd, 2009, 3:14 am

SATURDAY NOVEMBER 21st 2009

NOTES FROM THE BOAT

With 45 crew members with their oars in the virtual waters:
#15 in the overall rankings( out of 1234 teams)
#13 in the virtual rankings (out of 121 teams)

WELCOME BACK RYAN!!

23,911,337 meters for the season
69,316 meters for the day

RYAN...6,410 meters
ALAN...21,097 meters
DOC MIKE...5,607 meters
CHUCK...5,000 meters
ALISON...3,546 meters
SHERYL...11,000 meters
JIM...8,420 meters
PAT...8,236 meters

GO TEAM!!!

- Thomas Edison

You need to be aware of what others are doing, applaud their efforts, acknowledge their successes, and encourage them in their pursuits. When we all help one another, everybody wins.”

Pat
B)

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » November 22nd, 2009, 9:17 pm

FYI:

We have an artist on our team..Alison!!

Go to cafe press..Faces By Alison..see her works.Great talent.I am a huge fan.

We are rowers with such diverse talents..awesome team!!!

Pat
B)

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » November 23rd, 2009, 12:33 am

SUNDAY NOVEMBER 22nd 2009

NOTES FROM THE BOAT

With 45 crew members with their oars in the virtual waters:
#15 in the overall rankings( out of 1235 teams)
#13 in the virtual rankings (out of 121 teams)

WELCOME BACK RYAN!!

23,981,466 meters for the season
70,129 meters for the day

SHERYL...7,000 meters
ALISON...3,565 meters
BOBBIE...5,920 meters
CHUCK...5,000 meters
TED...3,613 meters
DOC MIKE...11,411 meters
TRISTAN...1,105 meters
DALTON...2,110 meters
RYAN...6,405 meters
PAT...10,000 meters
CHRIS...14,000 meters

GO TEAM!!!

- Thomas Edison

Pat
B)

Bodie
Paddler

Thanks Pat!

Post by Bodie » November 23rd, 2009, 9:13 am

Pat,

You are always so kind about my art! Thank you for sharing this info. with the team.

I have the link: (for I don't believe you can get there by just going to Cafe Press). It is: http://www.cafepress.com/facesbyalison

Thanks again for all of your support. On and off the Erg!

Alison :D