Some E-row Action

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] MarkPayton

e-row

Post by [old] MarkPayton » December 30th, 2004, 2:39 pm

Hi all - I'm just coming back from a short absence and noticed NO ACTIVITY scheduled on the e-row servers. I suspect either people are bound up in holiday activities, or perhaps more people are using the new servers. Anyway, after Dyson Hepting informed me there are only 32 days left before some of the big US indoor regattas I thought I'd add a few events for the next couple days to get the training going.<br><br>Nothing fancy here, just plain old training races. Here's the lineup:<br>Friday 12/31: 4x1k with 1k rests (8k total): race pace on, then easy recovery<br>Saturday: 10k SLOW "de-tox" row to sweat out the, um, impurities from the prior night<br>Sunday: 5k speedy row (non-handicap)<br>Monday: dreaded 2k test piece (non-handicap)<br><br>All rows are between 1430 and 1530 GMT (slightly different times each day). Rowers of all paces are welcome.<br><br>I'm glad to be back - missed you all. (That might change after the 2k )

[old] Sir Pirate

e-row

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » December 30th, 2004, 2:57 pm

Hi Mark, Hope you had a good Christmas. I shall join in a few of these sessions, I like the idea of the 5K one, might do the 2K too.<br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] Sir Pirate

e-row

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » January 1st, 2005, 7:59 am

Just to let you know that I am having trouble with my Broadband connection at the moment. If I am signed up for a race/session and I am not in chat with 2 mins to the start of the race, then go without me as my connection will be to unstable too take part.<br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] MarkPayton

e-row

Post by [old] MarkPayton » January 1st, 2005, 4:16 pm

Happy New Year!<br><br>Hi folks - I'm sorry to have missed my own party this morning - 7:30am came a bit too early (i.e., I stayed up a bit too late last night). :-)<br><br>I hear that a few folks showed up and went ahead anyway. I look forward to seeing you online for the 5k tomorrow.

[old] Sir Pirate

e-row

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » January 1st, 2005, 5:37 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-MarkPayton+Jan 1 2005, 08:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (MarkPayton @ Jan 1 2005, 08:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Hi folks - I'm sorry to have missed my own party this morning - 7:30am came a bit too early (i.e., I stayed up a bit too late last night). :-)<br> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Tut tut Mr Payton, you getting like Thomas Was 4 of us in the end that did the 10K was a very nice session. I had a bit of a scare with young Dyson, 1200m to go, he was going like a rocket, catching me at nearly a rate of 10m+ per stroke!! Turned out his PM2+ was playing up <br><br>I won't be about for the 5K tomorrow, I will try for the 2K on Monday though.<br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] Sir Pirate

e-row

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » January 2nd, 2005, 9:05 am

Have a good 5K. I shall check the results when I return Will Mark get out of bed in time <br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] MarkPayton

e-row

Post by [old] MarkPayton » January 2nd, 2005, 12:59 pm

Phil - you'll be pleased to know that I was able to report to this morning's torture session ahead of schedule. At 37 degrees fahrenheit in my garage, you can bet I was wide awake in short order!<br><br>We had a good group today: Dyson, Alain, Christine and Bryan(Cherub) from Toronto. I put as much into it as I could - managed some negative splits to catch Dyson in the final 2k. Both Bryan and Dyson set new PB's!<br><br>Results:<br>1 MarkP 18:28.4; avg 1:50.8<br>2 Dyson 18:36.7; avg 1:51.7<br>3 Bryan 19:43.6; avg 1:58.4<br>4 Alain 20:10.1; avg 2:01.0<br>5 christine 21:46.6; avg 2:10.7<br><br><br>Also, Alain won the 2k cooldown with a PERFECT 9:00.0!<br><br>Looking forward with some trepidation to tomorrow's 2k. Hope I don't oversleep!

[old] hepting

e-row

Post by [old] hepting » January 2nd, 2005, 1:43 pm

Well the only way I can scare Sir Pirate is to have my batteries start crapping out in the middle of a piece. During that 10k I was pulling about a 1:54 and the monitor was skipping between a 0.56-1:15 pace - - man if only I could pull those times! <br><br>I am happy to report that a new set of batteries in the PM2+ seems to have fixed the problem as this morning's 5k worked fine. In hindsight I am a little burned that Mr. Payton walked through me with 2k left, but I will settle for a season PB, and look to the next race! <br><br>Mark - 27 days to go! - glad you fixed your alarm clock <br>Cheers!<br><br>-Dyson

[old] Sir Pirate

e-row

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » January 2nd, 2005, 2:45 pm

Nice going all! Well done on the pb’s . Dyson, glad you changed your batteries, don’t know what Mark would have made of you pulling 0.56 splits just as he starts to catch you up in the last 2K .<br><br>I hope to make the 2K tomorrow, I have a toilet cistern to fit, so if I get it done I will join you in the 2K. I will enter it now, but if I am not in chat when you are all ready to go, then start without me.<br><br>Hope to see you on the blue screen on the 3rd.<br><br>Sir Pirate<br>

[old] MarkPayton

e-row

Post by [old] MarkPayton » January 2nd, 2005, 8:50 pm

Hi Guys - any chance we could move the 2k a wee bit later?<br><br>I failed to realize my kids school semester begins tomorrow rather than Tuesday, so I'll need to be getting them ready at the current time of the race. (Yes, this is a calendar malfunction on top of the "alarm clock malfunction" of New Year's Day - an inauspicious beginning!) <br><br>I've created another "New Blue 2k" at 1615GMT just in case you can make it. Sorry for the late change. Phil - this should give you more time to finish up your cistern, so hopefully this will work better for you?<br><br>Regards,<br>Mark

[old] Sir Pirate

e-row

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » January 3rd, 2005, 4:58 am

Tha'ts good news for me Mark, I will try my best to make it <br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] Sir Pirate

e-row

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » January 3rd, 2005, 2:29 pm

Results of todays New_Blue_2K piece for those interested was-<br><br>1st Sir Pirate 06:34.0 (1:38.5)<br>2nd Ernie 06:49.5 (1:42.4)<br>3rd Dyson 07:02.9 (1:45.7)<br>4th Mark P 07:17.9 (1:49.5)<br><br>I think MarkP was a little bit cold!! Is that right Mark? <br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] hepting

e-row

Post by [old] hepting » January 3rd, 2005, 3:12 pm

sub-7 or bust! <br><br>Have done it the last 2 years, and am getting close again this year - hoping to get there and beyond for the Mid-atlantic erg sprints on 1/29...<br><br>I hope Mark has thawed out, he needs to negotiate with his boss/wife to get his machine moved into the house instead of the unheated garage!<br><br>Thanks for the row guys!<br><br>-Dyson

[old] MarkPayton

e-row

Post by [old] MarkPayton » January 3rd, 2005, 4:42 pm

Wow THAT was an interesting race! <br><br>Sir Pirate took off like a rocket, and I stupidly tried to keep up with him. WHAT was I thinking? Well, at least blasting through the first 300meters helped to throw off the cold (did I mention it was below freezing in my garage?) <br><br>Nice steady row by Ernie brought him a very decent time. After watching Sir Pirate blast away in front, I stayed with Ernie until about 1k, then I blew up big time and was never able to pull myself properly together again. I managed a couple of sub-1:44 sections after that, but generally promptly lost it again. I can't honestly claim the cold as an excuse - just a classic fly and die - of epic proportions!<br><br>Dyson, you looked like you had 6:50-something in the bag, but I suppose it caught up with you in the final 500m.<br><br>Thanks all for the inspiration to row this morning - you don't know how many times I almost chickened out after I woke up and saw the frost on the ground!<br><br>The only good news in my day: Frosty the Rowman got a perfect 9:00.0 in the cooldown (emphasis on COOL)! <br><br>See you all online again soon! <br><br>And yes Dyson - next time it's 29 degrees F outside, I roll the erg indoors!

[old] Sir Pirate

e-row

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » January 3rd, 2005, 5:11 pm

Cheers Mark, I don’t know what happened with my start today, I did seem to go of too quick, I was just aiming for a 6:40 today, my 1st 500m seemed very fast too me but was only 1:38.5. Not a good 2k for me today though, was very fidgety till about the last 600m then I felt fine, was to late to pull anything quicker by then. Was surprised with my finish time.<br><br>I think Dyson will be sub 7:00 again in the next few weeks no problem, Ernie had a good one too, MarkP, I take my hat of to you my friend, I could not row a 2K that early in the morning in that cold temperature, big respect for doing that. What can I say about your nearest to 9.00 cool down? How the hell do you do it every time!!!<br><br>Sir Pirate