Late Notice: 4x1k Tonight

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] MarkPayton

e-row

Post by [old] MarkPayton » January 7th, 2005, 5:54 pm

Hi all.<br><br>Sorry for the late notice, but I thought I'd share that Dyson and I have set up a 4x1k speedwork (aka torture) session tonight at 9:15eastern/6:15pacific. 1000meters at 2k race pace or better, 1k recovery at 2:20 or worse , then repeat 3 more times. Tough stuff!<br><br>To very loosely paraphrase a line from Gladiator (don't ask why): If during the workout you find yourself sculling with perfect form across the glassy smooth surface of a lake at sunrise, with the mist rising around you and nothing but the sound of your blades dropping into the water in perfect catches - you may as well relax until someone comes around with smelling salts, because you've already passed out. (okay, it's not quite THAT bad!) <br><br>Seriously, this is quite a difficult workout, but as always, they go much better when you have someone to row with (misery loves company? ). <br><br>We'll re-align the "boats" just prior to each 1k "on" interval, so all paces are welcome.

[old] captain

e-row

Post by [old] captain » January 7th, 2005, 8:19 pm

I just getting off work at that time I will try to catch up with you!

[old] MarkPayton

e-row

Post by [old] MarkPayton » January 8th, 2005, 12:30 am

Well - that was lovely.<br><br>Speaking for myself - it was an exercise in pure pain. I nearly went to that misty place on the lake in the 2nd, 3rd, AND 4th intervals. I totally overdid it in the 1st (1:39 average compared to my 2k pace of 1:43), and paid the price on all subsequent intervals. Yuck! Well - at least it was good to be joined by Dyson and Alain - who each turned in much more respectable (i.e., consistent) performances. Nice job guys!<br><br>I need to get out of this fly and die rut....

[old] hepting

e-row

Post by [old] hepting » January 8th, 2005, 11:00 am

Gee thanks Mark - THAT was fun!<br><br>Just to add insult to injury my wife walked in during the middle and asked how come we were all "so slow".... <br><br>I posted on another topic on the board to see what others experience for this interval work-out - I am not sure why we struggle so much with it!<br><br>-Dyson

[old] captain

e-row

Post by [old] captain » January 8th, 2005, 1:59 pm

Ya thanks guys for the push, 5 min before Mark showed up I was almost ready to quit. I tought "what the hell I am doing here" but after it was done I was really happy I di it. I would'nt done it by myself anyway. The first 2x1K where not to bad but the 3rd one the HR was max after 150m in to it, so I felt quite bad and the last 1K I tought i was going to visit the big white phone beside me "it was a vey long 900m". I am still debating if I will try this again!!!!