Sore back - Chiropractors

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
newmanium
Paddler

Post by newmanium » September 17th, 2009, 3:13 pm

Anecodatal I know... but I had a bad experience with a chiropractor.

Had a neck crick that had been bugging me for a couple months, so I figured I'd try one. Went in for 4 visits - and the day after the 2nd and 4th appointments, I had a completely debilitating neck/back spasm that put me on the couch for the entire day (extremely painful). Had never experienced anything like it before in my life, took about a week to recover.

Stopped going after the 4th appointment - fast forward a year, and my back/neck feel much better after simple exercise/stretching each week. Obviously everybody's reaction is different, but I'd definitely encourage first seeing if regular exercise/stretching can help before trying a chiropractor. With all the wrenching that they do, it's possible in some cases (i.e. mine) to mess some things up.

mccartjt
Paddler

Sore Back Update

Post by mccartjt » September 26th, 2009, 12:11 pm

Hi Newmanium

Just an update for anyone that is interested. My physician from Bloomfield Colorado, suspects that I have a bulging disc in my L5S1 area of my lower back. I have to say that for a few months now its been wickedly painful, & whilst a Chiropractor had good intentions, his pulling, heat pads et al, did not resolve the issue.

So this week I when I visited my physician, I got an injection of "Platelet lysate" into the center of my soreness. Within 24 hours it had calmed a lot of the problems of disc pinching the spinal nerve away. I have to say that I feel a good deal better right now. I still have my good and bad days but for the first time in a 4 months I may be getting ahead of my injury.

I have to say that I've learnt the hard way that good form & technique in rowing is of utmost importance. (Where was Xeno when I needed him the most?)!!

JM