How I lost 30 pounds by accident

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
gcanyon
2k Poster

How I lost 30 pounds by accident

Post by gcanyon » August 11th, 2009, 3:25 am

I didn't intend to lose weight. I didn't think I needed to, and perhaps I didn't. My body fat percentage was about 25, but I'm 46 and tall (6'4"), and I carry it pretty well. In any case, my goal wasn't to lower my weight, it was to raise my HDL.

I had read that carbohydrates lower your HDL, and seen specific (if anecdotal) information in a couple of places, so I thought I would give it a shot. I own a Concept 2, but I wasn't using it much/at all at that point, because I was nursing a sore back.

I didn't follow a set plan, I just lowered my carb intake by doing the obvious: no soda or sweets, very little potatoes, rice, pasta, and bread. I didn't go hungry. In fact I ate as much as I wanted -- part of what made it reasonable to forgo pasta (which I love) was that whenever I was hungry I ate.

A month in I checked my cholesterol and it had significantly improved, but in addition I had lost 20 pounds. Again, I wasn't trying to lose weight, and I didn't exercise much at all. Later I started exercising more, and continued the diet. Long story short, my cholesterol is now much, much improved, and my body fat percentage was just measured at 10.7%. I miss pasta a bit, and I have to focus on what I purchase at the store, but it's just not that hard.

Obviously disclaimers apply. I'm not a doctor, what worked for me might not work for you, etc. For the whole story you can check my blog entry toward the start and my most recent post.

Jim40
Paddler

awesome

Post by Jim40 » September 24th, 2009, 11:15 am

That's an amazing story, thanks for your post!

I read your two blogs about your weight loss/cholesterol correction and the addition of exercise to your program, and I'm trying it!

Would you mind commenting on the consumption of fruit and alcohol? Fruit obviously has carbs, and some say that alcohol is liquid sugar ... love to hear your thoughts!

Thank you, and congratulations!!