Sore back - Chiropractors

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
mccartjt
Paddler

Post by mccartjt » May 31st, 2009, 7:50 pm

I got a sore back about a week ago during a 30 minute workout. My back is still sore, & I've been wondering if anyone has had experience with chiropractors (especially if they happen to be in Los Angeles.. Thanks

JM

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » June 1st, 2009, 3:46 am

Read this New Scientist article and then think again about visiting one of those quack practitioners.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... ?full=true
Dougie Lawson
61yrs, 172cm, Almost LWt (in my dreams).
Twitter: @DougieLawson

mccartjt
Paddler

Post by mccartjt » June 1st, 2009, 11:58 pm

Dougie

I had an experience with a chiropractor in the UK back in time when I used to play a lot of golf. I was in absolute agony. I got twisted by him whilst the joint was sore in my lower back the pain subsided over the next few days.

I 'll agree that there are charlattans in every profession (even good surgeons can perform a bad surgery), however I was looking for a good chiropractor.

Its been a week since I've hurt my back and I've been in disproportionate agony from the workout I was doing. 22 minutes into a 30 minute workout has left me feeling very low to say the least..

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: Sore back - Chiropractors

Post by Citroen » June 2nd, 2009, 3:27 am

mccartjt wrote: I 'll agree that there are charlattans in every profession (even good surgeons can perform a bad surgery), however I was looking for a good chiropractor.
So why does the British Chiropractic Assoc have to resort to using the UK's increasingly Draconian libel laws [1] when challenged by science [2]?

[1] http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/25/busin ... .html?_r=1
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Singh
Dougie Lawson
61yrs, 172cm, Almost LWt (in my dreams).
Twitter: @DougieLawson

tdekoekkoek
1k Poster

Post by tdekoekkoek » June 2nd, 2009, 3:48 pm

Trevor de Koekkoek: 46yrs, 190lbs

[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1204034405.png[/img]
Latest Rowing Videos:[url=http://www.rowtube.net]http://www.rowtube.net[/url]

mccartjt
Paddler

Chiropractors

Post by mccartjt » June 4th, 2009, 9:50 am

That a British professional association had an issue with a UK resident's libel is a case for the Royal Courts of Justice ~ London law courts. Their issues were created and both parties reside in the UK.. Not withstanding that the outcome be onerous on either party.

On the issue of my back I can speak to my experience with chiropractors.I have an extreme case of pain & the chiropractor fixed me. I do seriously doubt that some of the claims chiropractors claim to be able to fix but I won't be starting a federal case about it.

In the mean time does anyone know of a good chiropractor in LA

Mattlikespeoples
Paddler

Post by Mattlikespeoples » June 14th, 2009, 5:24 pm

I dislike people that blast an entire field of medicine from perhaps a bad personal experience. Just like mccartjt said, there are good and bad chiropractors just like every other proffession.

You could certainly visit a chiro or two in order to find one you feel is competent and that you feel comformtable with. I've had great experiences with almost every chiro I've seen but i know there can be scetchy ones or certain ones that arent the right fit for the patient.

As far as your sore back is concerned, I'd be willing to bet it's muscular. Rest it, ice it, stretch it. Perhaps a better description of the pain would be more beneficial for spewing forth advice.

dr. espo
1k Poster

Post by dr. espo » August 5th, 2009, 9:30 pm

Citroen wrote:Read this New Scientist article and then think again about visiting one of those quack practitioners.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... ?full=true
As a disclaimer, I am not a chiropractor, however, I've know several both on a professional and personal level. I am sure there are good and bad ones...great and not so great...smart and not so smart...just as there are with lawyers, physicians, architects, financial planners...the list is endless.

Keep an open mind and get a referral if necessary from a health care provider...I think you would be wonderfully surprised by the help you could receive from such an individual. At least that is my experience here in the US.

Again, keep an open mind...decide for yourself, NEVER rely on a report (regardless of the source), investigate thoroughly yourself, collect the facts as best as you are able, yourself...a little due diligence never hurts!

Just my two cents, your mileage may vary...

Mike
always learning...

[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w2qhAni/exercise.png[/img]

TabbRows
2k Poster

Post by TabbRows » August 6th, 2009, 10:25 am

I don't think Citroen's view of chiropractry is based on whether or not there are good chiropractors or all chiropractors are bad, rather, it's whether or not chirpractry itself is really a medical technique that provides real medical treatment. Scientific studies tend to indicate it is not. Antidotal evidence from people who have used chiropractors says "it relieved my pain". However, it didn't "cure" any pain nor did it relieve any underlying causes of the pain. You can get symptomatic relief from aspirin at a much lower cost. It's the symptomatic relief that causes you to have to return time and again to get treatments. So unless, the chiropractor is also recommending ways to cure your problem, including surgery if necessary (and this they cannot and will not do), you're not going to get better going to a chiropractor, whether good or bad in terms of how they apply the technique.
M 64 76 kg

"Sit Down! Row Hard! Go Nowhere!"

dr. espo
1k Poster

Post by dr. espo » August 6th, 2009, 2:57 pm

TabbRows wrote:I don't think Citroen's view of chiropractry is based on whether or not there are good chiropractors or all chiropractors are bad, rather, it's whether or not chirpractry itself is really a medical technique that provides real medical treatment. Scientific studies tend to indicate it is not. Antidotal evidence from people who have used chiropractors says "it relieved my pain". However, it didn't "cure" any pain nor did it relieve any underlying causes of the pain. You can get symptomatic relief from aspirin at a much lower cost. It's the symptomatic relief that causes you to have to return time and again to get treatments. So unless, the chiropractor is also recommending ways to cure your problem, including surgery if necessary (and this they cannot and will not do), you're not going to get better going to a chiropractor, whether good or bad in terms of how they apply the technique.
Tabb, I would say that everyone is free to express an opinion, however, opinions are just that, not facts. While it is true that chiropractors cannot actually perform surgery, it is important to understand that many DO recommend this treatment and refer their patients to the appropriate surgeons.

Properly administered, chiropractic medicine is NOT quackery! Look for one in a group of health care practitioners. That is what I did, they routinely refer cases to each other. The group has surgeons, chiropractors, physical therapists, trainers and most importantly a terrific physiatrist, amongst many other health care professionals.

Just my two cents :)

Mike
always learning...

SirWired
500m Poster

Post by SirWired » August 6th, 2009, 6:52 pm

Personally, I might consider a Chiro for back pain, especially if all I hear from the bone doc is a suggestion for surgery. If it works, great! If not, I can still get the surgery.

However, I would not ever go to one of the nutty chiro's that thinks they can cure all manner of illnesses that have nothing to do with the back by fooling with your spine. (i.e. vision problems (your optic nerve goes nowhere near your spine), diabetes (the pancreas doesn't get any instructions from your noggin or spine; it's controlled by chemicals, liver issues (same thing), etc.)

SirWired

dr. espo
1k Poster

Post by dr. espo » August 6th, 2009, 8:47 pm

SirWired wrote:Personally, I might consider a Chiro for back pain, especially if all I hear from the bone doc is a suggestion for surgery. If it works, great! If not, I can still get the surgery.

However, I would not ever go to one of the nutty chiro's that thinks they can cure all manner of illnesses that have nothing to do with the back by fooling with your spine. (i.e. vision problems (your optic nerve goes nowhere near your spine), diabetes (the pancreas doesn't get any instructions from your noggin or spine; it's controlled by chemicals, liver issues (same thing), etc.)

SirWired
SirWired,

I would humbly suggest that if an ostheopathic doc is suggesting surgery I would run (if possible) to the nearest physiatrist for a 2nd opinion...if you are unfamiliar with this newer specialty read the following description from the AAPM&R website:

What is a Physiatrist?

Rehabilitation Physicians May Treat:

Amputations/Prosthetics

Arthritis

Osteoarthritis

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Back Pain

Brain Injuries

Cardiac Rehabilitation

Geriatric Rehabilitation

Neck Pain

Nerve Pain

Radiculopathy

Ulnar Neuropathy (Wrist Pain in Bicyclists)

Osteoporosis

Pediatric Rehabilitation

Post-Polio Syndrome

Spinal Cord Injuries

Sports-Related Injuries

Stroke

Women’s Conditions

Female Athlete Triad

Pelvic Pain

Pregnancy and Back Pain

Work-Related Injuries

To learn more about the types of PM&R treatments available for these conditions, click HERE.

Physiatrists, or rehabilitation physicians,
are medical doctors who are:

Experts at diagnosing and treating pain

Restore maximum function lost through injury,
illness or disabling conditions

Treat the whole person, not just the problem area

Lead a team of medical professionals

Provide non-surgical treatments

Explain your medical problems and treatment plan

Work not only on treatment but also prevention

Rehabilitation physicians are nerve, muscle, and bone experts who treat injuries or illnesses that affect how you move. Rehabilitation physicians have completed training in the medical specialty physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R).

Rehabilitation physicians treat a wide range of problems from sore shoulders to spinal cord injuries. Their goal is to decrease pain and enhance performance without surgery. Rehabilitation physicians take the time needed to accurately pinpoint the source of an ailment. They then design a treatment plan that can be carried out by the patients themselves or with the help of the rehabilitation physician’s medical team. This medical team might include other physicians and health professionals, such as neurologists, orthopedic surgeons, and physical therapists. By providing an appropriate treatment plan, rehabilitation physicians help patients stay as active as possible at any age. Their broad medical expertise allows them to treat disabling conditions throughout a person’s lifetime.

Many of these docs got started specifically treating professional sports players and attempt to cure the problems NON-surgically.

Again, just my two cents...

Mike
always learning...

Widgeon
500m Poster

Post by Widgeon » August 6th, 2009, 10:38 pm

dr. espo,

May I respectfully request that you not confuse Osteopathic physicians with Chiropractors? They are not the same, either in training, licensing, or scope of practice.

Thank you

dr. espo
1k Poster

Post by dr. espo » August 6th, 2009, 10:59 pm

Widgeon wrote:dr. espo,

May I respectfully request that you not confuse Osteopathic physicians with Chiropractors? They are not the same, either in training, licensing, or scope of practice.

Thank you
I was not confusing them I was simply replying to another poster who said a "bone doc" suggested surgery. I would respectfully request you read the posts carefully before making any assumptions.

Thank you,
Mike
always learning...

mccartjt
Paddler

Update on Sore Back

Post by mccartjt » August 19th, 2009, 9:30 pm

I've done some more research on my back. I suspect I've herniated disc in the lower lumbar region. I've had an MRI and should find out what is going on with my condition in the next few days. Alas, the chiropractor was unable to resolve my issues after 4 visits and only seemed to be agravating my condition. A good MRI should resolve what is going on.

BTW if anyone is getting an MRI get the Tesla 3.0 magnet one. It's a much better image to help a doctor resolve what he's seeing. There's one in Los Angeles that charges $350.00 / visit for cash customers..