Vermont To Vegas CHEEZERS

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Vermont To Vegas CHEEZERS

Post by PJM » June 29th, 2009, 9:58 am

Row to Vegas this Summer!
Join us, along with our friends at Cabot Cheese, from May 15-September 1, 2009 in the Vermont to Vegas Virtual Challenge, hosted by cabotcheese.com. Visit http://www.cabotcheese.coop/vermont-to-las-vegas to learn more and register.

GO CHEEZERS!!!!!!!

SUSAN
ANDREW
BERNIE
PAT
LINDA

KATHY

1287 participants!!!
64 days to go!!!

Join us here to chat and meet along the route to Vegas.

Pat
Team TimbukTOO
Fellow CHEEZER
B)
[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Animations/diddle-1.gif[/img]

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » June 29th, 2009, 12:46 pm

[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Animations/diddle-1.gif[/img]

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » June 29th, 2009, 12:59 pm

Row, walk, run, swim, jog, bike...just get up & move..work your way to Vegas on a virtual route!!Earn poker chips and complete stages along the way.Prizes and lots of fun.If you are over 50..and don't plan to be a GEEZER but would rather be a CHEEZER...

Pat
B)

Gick
Paddler

Cheezers

Post by Gick » June 29th, 2009, 5:41 pm

Hi fellow cheezers,
I have rowed, walked and cycled to Las Vegas, so decided to return by an other route, just posting my rowing hours. I headed north on Interstate 15 and paused at Parowan to catch my breath after falling to a summer cold. Found that if I rowed my nose stopped running (although everywhere else leaked) so spent 2hr 15mins whilst watching Wimbledon on Television. Noticed that my heartrate was about 10 beats per minute more than usual. (Still kept to 60% of max) which just shows the extra strain that ill-health can add whilst exercising. It felt good when I had finished!

AndrewAugenstein
Paddler

How Was Vegas ??

Post by AndrewAugenstein » June 30th, 2009, 8:18 pm

Captain Pat, I See You Are Ranked Number 4, Blew All Your Winnings In Vegas And Headed Home............

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » July 2nd, 2009, 2:41 pm

8 CHEEZERS in Vegas...

Go V2V TEAM!!!!!!

Enjoy the trek!!!

Pat
Team TimbukTOO
B)

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » July 9th, 2009, 12:30 am

Row to Vegas this Summer!
Join us, along with our friends at Cabot Cheese, from May 15-September 1, 2009 in the Vermont to Vegas Virtual Challenge, hosted by cabotcheese.com. Visit http://www.cabotcheese.coop/vermont-to-las-vegas to learn more and register.

GO CHEEZERS!!!!!!!

SUSAN
ANDREW
BERNIE
PAT
LINDA

KATHY

1316 participants!!!
54 days to go!!!

Join us here to chat and meet along the route to Vegas.

Pat
Team TimbukTOO
Fellow CHEEZER
B)

Gick
Paddler

Post by Gick » July 31st, 2009, 2:51 pm

Still rowing my way back to Vermont by way of a circuitous route. Now in Ohio having left Toledo yesterday. Have put in 2 days of 50+k (Yesterday in 4hrs) felt really strong, but taking it easier today in order to recover. My aim is to row a week of consecutive 50k's, but guess I shall have to pace myself better to do that.
The Vermont to Las Vegas has taken another twist, with the webmaster stopping all those who had arrived in L V from posting further times! Also my downloadable certificate shows my date as 29th July, when in fact I arrived in June (3rd to arrive) - but heigh it's only virtual.
There has been some interesting dialogue in the message file and the up-coming challenge of Vegas to Vermont in November, promises to address some of the difficulties that challengers have encountered.
The popularity of the challenge has obviously taken Cabot Creamery by surprise and exceeded their expectations; all power to their elbow for coming up with the concept (no pun intended) to motivate the over 50's to exercise! :lol:

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by bg » July 31st, 2009, 3:43 pm

thanks for setting up a page for us, pat.....and for the picture of cabot's headquarters....

yikes glick...you are fast...and strong to do all those 50ks...

wooo hooo cheezers....

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » July 31st, 2009, 11:25 pm

GO CHEEZERS!!!!!!

Get ready to return to VT..in November...!!!

Pat
B)

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » August 13th, 2009, 11:05 am

19 days to go..70 fit and fab CHEEZERS have made it to Vegas!!!

GO CHEEZERS!!!

Pat
B)

Gick
Paddler

Post by Gick » September 2nd, 2009, 5:12 pm

Well, the challenge is over............. I am sure that many Cheezers will begin to experience withdrawal symptoms. The motivation, in particular from the lovely Pat, has changed the exercise routine of many and hopefully created a new life style. With two months break before the Return to Vermont begins, it would be nice to think that the majority will consolidate on the fitness improvements that they have experienced and come out all guns blazing in November.

My personal return odyssey has produced the following figures:-

263.25 hours rowing x theoretical 15mph = 3948.75 miles ( taken from RoadMaster Standard Road Atlas) and a metre reading of 3,207,683.

As I have previously posted, I set a goal of 50k+ per day for a week, I then continued it for the whole of August, and aim to post similar figures in the upcoming Fall Challenge for UK Rowers.

This represents 4 hours rowing per day and the distance may increase because I have found that my wattage figures are increasing; whether from benefits in stamina or rowing technique I'm unsure though probably a combination of both.

I repeat below the two limericks that I posted on the V2V message board (there are limits to the format there.

Ben and Jerry the top Ice Cream Makers,
have a special dessert for all Trekkers.
For their ice cream 'Fromage'
is a special Homage,
to the V2V challenge partakers.

The Road to Las Vegas is rough,
occasionally the going gets tough.
But an encouraging word,
from PJ is heard.
Increased fitness goal is enough.

Hope to see all you lovely people in November (my birth month)

andrew.church@ tiscali.co.uk

NH Rower
Paddler

Alas, No Glory, No Cheese

Post by NH Rower » September 2nd, 2009, 8:27 pm

Nice job Glick with the Poetry on the short lived Cabot Challenge. My paltry 15 to 30 minutes a day rowing, walking or biking only netted me about halfway to Vegas Land. Hopefully I'll do much better on the return journey.
Thanks also to Pat for ALL your good encouragement along the way.
bernie

Gick
Paddler

Post by Gick » September 3rd, 2009, 5:14 am

Thank you NHRower. There is nothing paltry in ANY exercise. It is a state of mind that sees benefit in increased fitness. Not everyone can dedicate as much time as me to rowing, 6 months ago I would never have believed that I would.

I began by buying an almost new model E off Ebay and setting it up in front of a television with the thought that I could incorporate an exercise with watching favourite programs. I soon found that when I woke up my thoughts turned to the rower and I began getting up 2 hours earlier than usual, instead of snuggling down with a book.

The V2V challenge changed my routine in that I began rowing to the 15 minute increments as well as logging my walking and occasional cycling. Although my initial target was weight loss, having reach a disgusting 23 stone last year and through diet and exercise this has come down to a little under 16 stones 11 months on, I seem to have plateaued because I have been increasing muscle mass. However my body fat % has come down from 38.5% to 27%, which is gratifying.

If you can identify your personal goals (keeping them realistic to begin with) and repond to the encouragement that this and other pages can provide, great satisfaction will ensue.

All the best in your efforts and see you in November for the 'Return to Vermont'.

Gick
Paddler

Post by Gick » September 3rd, 2009, 5:20 am

By the way, my e-mail address should be andrew.church@tiscali.co.uk, a space slipped in without my noticing. :evil: