LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

just27
10k Poster

Re: Prizes

Post by just27 » June 26th, 2009, 3:55 pm

BAZzy wrote:Although, second thoughts.....Just27 is pushing hard over the past couple of days, might have to slip in another quick row before I pint up a Guinness.

... just drafting along in your wake. :)

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

Post by DuluthMoose » June 27th, 2009, 11:37 am

Dun ta Dun ta Dun ta Dun ta! Dun ta!
Look OUT BAZzy!

TedCG
Paddler

Post by TedCG » June 27th, 2009, 6:28 pm

Ted 11,000 m (you seem to frequently return to the last three digits for your totals being 610.....perhaps your birthday is June 10th?)
Nothing so sensible, I'm afraid. The 610 is an artifact of my mildly obsessive habit of keeping my lifetime meters rounded out to zeros in the last three places; e.g. today i'm at 7,759,000. I know, I know... but hey, I am a lunatic!
Slow and Steady is my pace, so it seems,
Slow and Steady wins the race, in my dreams.

Kiba
1k Poster

Post by Kiba » June 27th, 2009, 9:12 pm

I'm pretty obsessive about keeping my digits round too, I'm at 3,270,000m

Kristine Strasburger
10k Poster

Re: Canadian bacon

Post by Kristine Strasburger » June 27th, 2009, 10:41 pm

DuluthMoose wrote:
Kiba wrote:This whole American phenomenon of Canadian bacon is kind of strange because you can only get "Canadian bacon" in the US :P

In Canada we only have regular bacon, the long straight kind. Most people here only know Canadian Bacon as the John Candy movie (directed by Michael Moore...)

Mange mes briefs!

Kiba, there are lots of terminology differences between Yanks and Canucks, and this is an example of just one more of those. Ain't it great!

Australia and New Zealand:
Generally as for the British Isles. Middle bacon is the most common variety.

British Isles:
An individual slice of bacon is a rasher, or occasionally a collop. In this region, bacon comes in a wide variety of cuts and flavours:
* The term bacon on its own suggests the more common back bacon, but can refer to any cut.
* The term Canadian Bacon means bacon from Canada, though whether the pig was entirely reared, slaughtered, cured, sliced and packed in Canada is not normally made clear on packaging.
* Slices from the pork belly are referred to as streaky bacon, streaky rashers or belly bacon.
* Slices from the back of the pig are referred to as back bacon or back rashers. These usually include a streaky bit and a lean ovoid bit, and are part of the traditional full breakfast.

Canada:
An individual slice of bacon is a slice or strip. In Canada:
* The term bacon on its own refers generically to strip bacon from the belly meat of the pig, which is the most popular type of bacon sold in Canada.[citation needed]
* The term back bacon is used interchangeably to describe either smoked or unsmoked back bacon.
* The term peameal bacon is a variety of unsmoked back bacon which historically was brined and rolled in a meal made from ground yellow peas. Today, fine cornmeal is more commonly used as a coating.
* Canadians do not use the term "Canadian Bacon".[citation needed]

United States:
A side of unsliced bacon was once known as a flitch[10] it is now known as a slab. An individual slice of bacon is a slice or strip.
* The term bacon on its own refers generically to strip bacon from the belly meat of the pig, which is the most popular type of bacon sold in the U.S.[citation needed]
* The term Canadian Bacon or Canadian-style bacon must be made from the loin, and means back bacon[11][unreliable source?], but this term refers usually to the lean ovoid portion (m. longissimus, or loineye)[9]. It also can be made from the sirloin portion of the loin (Gluteal muscles), but must be labeled appropriately. Similar products made from the ham are used as less expensive substitutes.

So what we really have in common is BACK BACON! Back bacon comes from the loin in the middle of the back of the pig. It is a lean meaty cut of bacon, with relatively less fat compared to other cuts and has a ham-like texture and flavour. Most bacon consumed in the United Kingdom is back bacon.[8] Also called Irish bacon or Canadian Bacon.

So you Canadians can still enjoy Haviian PizZAH, and eggs Benedict, and any thing else that requires BACK BACON. In fact if you ordered your eggs Benedict or Haviian PizZAH with Canadian Bacon, you would just get regular strip bacon from pigs grown in Canada. If I ordered my Haviian PizZah with BACK BACON, I would just get puzzled looks and an inquiry, "Are you a Luna-Tic or what?"
Sorry to be a day late on the bacon topic, but you forgot to mention side meat (or side pork as it is also known). This would be the uncured bacon. Fried up with a sprinkling of salt, pepper and garlic powder it is a totally different taste sensation not to be missed.
☆~Kristine~☆

Kiba
1k Poster

Post by Kiba » June 28th, 2009, 5:28 am

Kona: I hope BikeMS goes well, all these bikes sound like a lot of fun, but I hope you don't get caught out in a storm. 150 Miles is a huge way to bike.

just27
10k Poster

Colorado Bike MS

Post by just27 » June 28th, 2009, 2:34 pm

Kiba wrote:Kona: I hope BikeMS goes well, all these bikes sound like a lot of fun, but I hope you don't get caught out in a storm. 150 Miles is a huge way to bike.
I was trying to see if the race is finished yet, and if there are any new pictures posted ... but can't find any specific news about this weekend:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/chapte ... index.aspx

It does say that there are thunderstorms, and 30% precipitation, with a temp range of 60 - 77 F. Can't wait to see the Astrogator's report, and hear how her rain gear held up.

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 6.28.09

Post by Kona2 » June 29th, 2009, 9:07 am

Look at you go - while I was "cross-training", the team crossed the 15 MM mark! Excellent progress by my fellow weekend warriors!

Thanks for all the good wishes for the bike event - not a single drop of rain fell upon the riders! The temperatures did indeed climb from high 70s to high 80s, though - and the sun was intense. Despite sunblock, I am a little crispy - and definitely feel a bit tired (there may be errors in this posting!). I rode with a team whose mascot is the Looney Tunes Tweety bird. We all had Tweety bird helmet toppers and crossed the finish line together.

Season meters as of 59/35 = 15,091,413 m

Total Weekend Meters = 438,680 m

Oars in space = 35 percent

MILESTONES....Bragging Rights....Celebrations:

1.6 MM Wild Bill
900K Chris
900K Bazzy
600K Tim
500K Barbara
300K Gina

Image Half Marathons 39,40 and 41 by Image
Image Half Marathon 39 by Dan
Image Half Marathon 15 by Dave H
Image Half Moon (I think) by Wild Bill - maybe two of them

ONE Million Meter Watch: And they're off to the races!

Chris with (68,644 m) to go!!

Bazzy with (98,580 m) to go !!

And thanks to the weekend warriors for all the meters:

Chris 63,291 m
Wild Bill 48,000 m
Tim 46,102 m
Barbara 38,111 m
Dave 31,097 m
Steven 30,000 m
Darryl 28,544 m
Mitch J 22,361 m
Dan 21,097 m
Kiba 20,000 m
Ted 18,000 m
Bazzy 16,160 m
Jim 15,000 m
Peter G 15,000 m
Gina 11,680 m
Pat 6,118 m
David 5,000 m
AJ 3,019 m

K2 150 bike miles

One of the rest stops provided us with yellow neckbands that were soaked in ice water....I think that saved me on the last twenty miles!

acrewer
2k Poster

Post by acrewer » June 29th, 2009, 1:36 pm

Kona - not Looney-Tunes but LUNE-Y tunes?

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

DVD

Post by DuluthMoose » June 29th, 2009, 1:47 pm

Solstice Row DVD update (current as of 6/29 mail delivery) - I have sent out a Personal Message and mailed via first class a DVD to everyone who I have received payment from so far. (Dan, there is still an unopened PM from me in your Inbox.) If you have not received a PM from me and did sent payment my way, your card has not arrived in my mailbox yet. I will be away from home for 5 days, and will handle those cards that I receive during that period, next Monday. I only know of one of you who has received the DVD, and that took only 3 days to make its journey (within the US). So a bunch of you should be receiving the DVD within a few days.

- Jan. Great bike helmet finial! Glad you had good weather and a good long ride!

- Chris and Bazzy. I'm going to miss a great intra-team horse race between you two for who crosses the million meter line first. Early congratulations to you both!

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 6.28.09

Post by bg » June 29th, 2009, 2:24 pm

great helmut.....

BAZzy
6k Poster

Re: DVD

Post by BAZzy » June 29th, 2009, 4:24 pm

DuluthMoose wrote: - Chris and Bazzy. I'm going to miss a great intra-team horse race between you two for who crosses the million meter line first. Early congratulations to you both!
That honour will most certainly go to Chris :) ....off the rower for a couple of days as I pulled up a little 'lame' after a weight training session on Monday.... :( Just need some massage work and rest...drat!

Hey, but watch out Chris.....I'll be coming after you :wink:
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Post by Kona2 » June 29th, 2009, 4:50 pm

acrewer wrote:Kona - not Looney-Tunes but LUNE-Y tunes?
Gina - I am sure it was Luna-Tic karma!

TedCG
Paddler

Post by TedCG » June 29th, 2009, 9:23 pm

I'm pretty obsessive about keeping my digits round too, I'm at 3,270,000m
Must...not...think...about...fourth...zero...
Slow and Steady is my pace, so it seems,
Slow and Steady wins the race, in my dreams.

Kiba
1k Poster

Post by Kiba » June 29th, 2009, 10:49 pm

Kona: That Tweety helmet topper is super cute! And congrats on finishing such a long race (or maybe it's not so long?) either way, I know I could never bike that far.

Ted: That fourth zero is indeed elusive.

Moose: I hope your canoe trip is just as fun as it sounds like it will be, will there be fireworks?