LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 6.18.09

Post by DuluthMoose » June 19th, 2009, 2:20 pm

just27 wrote:
Kona2 wrote:Image Chris brings in #32 of the season!
I have no discomfort during my HMs, but have noticed after 3 HMs (three days in a row) that my right knee is a bit achey by the fourth morning. I think my form is okay, so maybe that knee is just wearing out! Any insights, anyone?

Last year I got a birthday card with a poem that started.. "If your older and you know it, creak you knees. Creak! Creak" and was suppose to be sung to the old "If you wanna get to heaven" melody. But it takes a lot less than back to back to back HM's to get a little twing going in my knees. So I'd have to say overall your knees are doing great.

About 5 years ago, before I started rowing, I would occasionally have to do the 2 step to go down stairs because of knee pain. I started a daily dose of glucoseamine chondroitin and within a month my knees were much better. Then I started rowing and I think that combined with the glucoseamine chondroitin, and some weight loss has put my knees in as good a shape as in my 40's (for me). But it didn't do anything for knobby and ugly unfortunately. Anyway I'm a believer in the stuff. I'm not sure if what you are experiencing warrants trying glucoseamine yet, but if it starts to get worse, I would say try it for a couple months at least. My $.02 Moose

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 6.17.09

Post by DuluthMoose » June 19th, 2009, 2:38 pm

BAZzy wrote: Moose please count me in for the DVD special...look forward to it..postage will be to Sydney! I'll send you details along with the money when you let me know the cost...
BBB

Baz I was quoted $4.80 postage (US) to send a DVD your way @ 4.6 oz total weight package. That would make it $6 (US funds) to you to cover my expense for blank DVD, mailer, and postage. Might be a little marginal, but I'll let you decide.

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: To The Moon!

Post by bg » June 19th, 2009, 4:14 pm

DuluthMoose wrote:
bg wrote:
are there any exceptions to the rules...i've been injured and haven't been able to row....even if i'm finally able to row during these next few days, i won't be able to work my way up to a half by sunday....i would be interested in getting one of your dvds though....btw..even if i wasn't injured i'm not sure i would have been able to do a half on sunday....

BG you raise some good points I hadn't thought about.
- Being on injured reserve shouldn't disqualify someone from a limited opportunity
- Being not up to form to do a HM (in the off season) shouldn't disqualify someone from a limited opportunity.
- In addition I can't hang on to that 5 GB file on my laptop for an extended period. I need the space. I can't make this particular offer again during our winter challenges. So cutting DVD's off my hard drive space needs to be over and done with soon....

So...... Here's the deal. I'll offer this video to any card carrying Luna-Tic who either rows 21,000 meters or more on the Summer Solstice Challenge OR any current Luna-Tic who will commit to the Luna-Tics and Captain K to row 21,000 or more meters in a day sometime this rowing season. But I am putting the condition on this that it is to be completed. Retroactive doesn't count. And may God help you if you don't follow through!!!
GO LUNA-TICS! Moose

thanks moose...the money is in the mail...and i will do a half-marathon once i can start rowing again and get my meters up there....

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: Another Meter Millionaire!

Post by bg » June 19th, 2009, 4:21 pm

Kona2 wrote:Congratulations to Dan - he's a million meter man ! And nearing his lucky 13th million lifetime meter mark!

ImageImageImage

Looks like it will be a toss up between Bazzy and Chris as to who is next on the millionaire list!
congrats dan....and a belated welcome back to returning luna-tics...and a welcome aboard to the new folks...yup..i'm my usual disorganized self....

Kiba
1k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 6.18.09

Post by Kiba » June 19th, 2009, 5:40 pm

just27 wrote:I have no discomfort during my HMs, but have noticed after 3 HMs (three days in a row) that my right knee is a bit achey by the fourth morning. I think my form is okay, so maybe that knee is just wearing out! Any insights, anyone?
I broke my knee a few years ago, and since then its hurt every time it gets cold. At first it hurt a lot when I rowed, but after I cleaned up my technique a bit it hasn't hurt rowing since. I used to push off only with the ball of my foot, instead of pushing off with my whole foot. I'm not sure if this is a big thing or not, cause in some of the tequnique videos I've watched the person rowing does simply push off with the ball of their foot, but in others they specify to push off with your whole foot. Regardless, my knee doesn't hurt anymore since I use my whole foot to push off.

I agree with Moose about the glucosamine, you might want to talk to your doctor about it.
Last edited by Kiba on June 19th, 2009, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Re: Another Meter Millionaire!

Post by Toothdoc » June 19th, 2009, 5:41 pm

To all you Lunatics:

Thanks for the atta boys. A belated congrat to Kiba and all other milestone and performance makers.
Kiba,

Thanks for the cupcake. It tasted like silicon, electrons and pixels but mighty yummy.

Now, like Kiba and Wild Bill, I'm going to take a couple of days off. See everyone Sunday.

dc

Kiba
1k Poster

Post by Kiba » June 19th, 2009, 5:48 pm

Enjoy your days off :D

just27
10k Poster

Glucosamine

Post by just27 » June 19th, 2009, 6:41 pm

DuluthMoose wrote:"If your older and you know it, creak you knees. Creak! Creak" ... I think that combined with the glucoseamine chondroitin, and some weight loss has put my knees in as good a shape as in my 40's (for me). Moose
Creak, creak, indeed! (More like crunch, crunch.) I've swallowed various joint protecting stuff (glucosamine, chondroitin, Omega 3, shark cartilage) over the years and I do think it helps (depending on the brand).

Per Kiba's observation, I think I might try wearing shoes to row ... see if pushing off with the whole foot feels better.

Good job on your season's first million, Dan!

Now that I maybe have Baz feeling sorry for me and my creaky knee, I'll see if I can blast past him for our first mill!

Kiba
1k Poster

Re: Glucosamine

Post by Kiba » June 19th, 2009, 7:18 pm

just27 wrote: Now that I maybe have Baz feeling sorry for me and my creaky knee, I'll see if I can blast past him for our first mill!
That's a good plan :O Maybe I ought to tell Wild Bill I have Kabatiella apocrypta...

just27
10k Poster

Post by just27 » June 19th, 2009, 7:23 pm

Kiba wrote:
just27 wrote: Now that I maybe have Baz feeling sorry for me and my creaky knee, I'll see if I can blast past him for our first mill!
That's a good plan :O Maybe I ought to tell Wild Bill I have Kabatiella apocrypta...
Shade tree fungi? Yeah, that should do it ... we'll all watch to see how that works for you ...

Kiba
1k Poster

Post by Kiba » June 19th, 2009, 8:32 pm

Really, it slows me down so much.. and oh the itch!!

BAZzy
6k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 6.17.09

Post by BAZzy » June 20th, 2009, 12:34 am

DuluthMoose wrote:
BAZzy wrote: Moose please count me in for the DVD special...look forward to it..postage will be to Sydney! I'll send you details along with the money when you let me know the cost...
BBB

Baz I was quoted $4.80 postage (US) to send a DVD your way @ 4.6 oz total weight package. That would make it $6 (US funds) to you to cover my expense for blank DVD, mailer, and postage. Might be a little marginal, but I'll let you decide.
Love to see it so I'll send you the cash and details.......BBB
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

BAZzy
6k Poster

Post by BAZzy » June 20th, 2009, 12:51 am

Crikey...I'd better watch out, in fact think I better go and do some more this afternoon. Must say I have dropped off a bit over the past couple of weeks...on heavy weight training which finished yesterday, so no excuses for another month or so at least..

On sore knees...I had a fracture in a knee-cap many years ago the product of a cycling injury (car/bike thing!) and I found a lot of trouble with it. However, the one thing I found assisted has been weight training, and specifically deep squats.

Squatting is the core of my weight training program and I do it three times a week; deep squats where you bottom goes close to the floor. No pressure on the knee joint if you do it this way and apart from helping overall strength this has 'fixed' my knee. That isn't to say this will be the right remedy in all situations, but something to consider. Walking up and down hills helps also (At least I keep telling myself that as I prepare for my walk in September).

Good luck on Sunday.....BBB
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 6.19.09

Post by Kona2 » June 20th, 2009, 10:19 am

Image** Just a reminder, you don't have to row 21,000 m in one session .... just complete it in 24 hours!
Row Aussies Row! And a good Winter Solstice to you! Seems like Concept2 did acknowledge both hemispheres in the 2007 Holiday Challenge with the image of rowing in snow and rowing in sun....we're all Luna-Tics no matter which hemisphere we call "home"
Distance to midway point = 5,542,372 m

Season meters as of 50/365 = 13,201,086 m

Total meters on the day = 167,942 m

Oars in space = 20 percent :shock: (vacations, resting up for the BIG row??)

MILESTONES....Bragging Rights....Celebrations:

Image Dave H with Half Marathon # 12
Image just27 with Half Marathon # 27 + 6 Image

And thanks to today's crew for all the meters:

Dave H 31,097 m (two days)
Image 29,650 m
Tim 25,541 m (wasn't sure if there was an HM in there - lotta meters!)
Chris 21,097 m
Kiba 20,000 m
Darryl 14,406 m (our videographer still takes time to row!)
Jim 11,841 m
Voodoogirl Laurie 5,310 m
Peter G 5,000 m
Ted 4,000 m

William H
2k Poster

Post by William H » June 20th, 2009, 12:30 pm

Kiba wrote: That's a good plan :O Maybe I ought to tell Wild Bill I have Kabatiella apocrypta...
Kiba wrote:Really, it slows me down so much.. and oh the itch!!
I'm back!!! :D

Hey Kiba, you didn't cut me much slack while I was gone, so your Kibatiella apocrypta may be something I should look into :shock:

Congrats on the 1MM for the season, too - you folks have left me with considerable ground to make up.

Unbeleivable where in the world one can find a Gold's Gym with a C2 Ergometer, no less :!: I managed to squeeze in about 36,000 metres for the time I was "away," but will have to get serious for awhile to make up lost ground (water?).

Congrats to all for the new milestones - to the moon!

Solstice Row tomorrow: big metres, big metres :P

Will have to try that cupcake and multivitamin breakfast of champions :?

Just27: you can probably alleviate a lot of the knee pain by properly stretching both before and after your rowing stint(s) - works for me :wink:

Let the metres begin ...

P.S. Glad to be back in the land of the free and the home of the brave!