LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

toothdoc70
Paddler

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 6.08.09

Post by toothdoc70 » June 9th, 2009, 11:22 am

I thought he heard us calling his name! Dan! Toothdoc! You said you wanted to row more on the water meters! I dunno....maybe it's that new Tango Uniform he's looking for....

Tango-Uniform: meaning toes up, or DRT- Dead Right There

dc

just27
10k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 6.08.09

Post by just27 » June 9th, 2009, 12:17 pm

toothdoc70 wrote:Tango-Uniform: meaning toes up, or DRT- Dead Right There
Tango-Uniform ... Good to know!

After taking a couple of weeks off, yesterday's HM raised a blister on each of my ring fingers ... they softened up really quickly, guess I'll be doing some taping when I row tonight.

Good job on your 5 MM Lifetime, Dave.

(Not to be outdone by TU ... 3M would be "mechanical minnie mouse" ... or "tape girl" !)

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: Something I missed a couple of days ago...

Post by bg » June 9th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Dave_H wrote:[edit]Nice work Kiba - between the mechanical Mini Mouse with all her half moons and the robotic cyclist Jan, it is clear we mortals are in the minority on our lunar journey! :wink: [/edit]
Can't be a big deal in the scheme of things - as I didn't notice it when it rolled over a couple of days ago... however I realised tonight that I have "erged" my 5 millionth lifetime metre at last! B)

Cheers,
Dave
congrats on the 5 million, dave....

acrewer
2k Poster

Re: On The Water Meters

Post by acrewer » June 9th, 2009, 12:29 pm

toothdoc70 wrote: My absence from the forum has been the result of my computer going Tango-Uniform. It is in rehab as we speak. Since internet time at the office is limited I do not get to respond often.
would that rehab be the Sierra-Hotel :wink: ?

For those who didn't get Tango-Uniform: Before we had kids, my better half and I spent a lot of time skiing. A friend in our ski club (ex Air Force) would refer to my husband as "Sierra Hotel" because no matter what happened (broken ski, broken goggles, etc), he'd get back up on his skis and keep going. We thought he was referring to some hotel in the Sierra Nevadas....until the call letters were finally explained (S--- Happens) :oops: .

Hope your 'puter is on the mend.

Gina

just27
10k Poster

Re: On The Water Meters

Post by just27 » June 9th, 2009, 1:20 pm

acrewer wrote: For those who didn't get Tango-Uniform: Before we had kids, my better half and I spent a lot of time skiing. A friend in our ski club (ex Air Force) would refer to my husband as "Sierra Hotel" because no matter what happened (broken ski, broken goggles, etc), he'd get back up on his skis and keep going. We thought he was referring to some hotel in the Sierra Nevadas....until the call letters were finally explained (S--- Happens) :oops: .Gina
Perhaps they were really complimenting your hubby!:

-In the style of Bravo Zulu, Charlie Foxtrot, and Lima Charlie There is also Sierra Hotel. Sierra Hotel is the phonetic alphabet words for the letters 'S' and 'H.' Originally military slang but it's crept into widespread use among pilots who, almost universally, want to sound like a fighter pilot.

-Sierra Hotel: The NATO phonetic alphabet abbreviation for Shit Hot. It is considered high praise and is the pilot's favorite and all-purpose expression of approval. It is a slightly more polite way of saying "Shit Hot." (For example: "Direct hit Shadow 99, Sierra Hotel!" … or … "That Sierra Hotel pilot just shot down six MiGs and an ICBM!") This is the "polite" military way to say that something is very impressive, and has fallen into use outside the military.

BAZzy
6k Poster

Post by BAZzy » June 9th, 2009, 6:30 pm

Dave_H wrote:[edit]Nice work Kiba - between the mechanical Mini Mouse with all her half moons and the robotic cyclist Jan, it is clear we mortals are in the minority on our lunar journey! :wink: [/edit]
Can't be a big deal in the scheme of things - as I didn't notice it when it rolled over a couple of days ago... however I realised tonight that I have "erged" my 5 millionth lifetime metre at last! B)

Cheers,
Dave
Nice work Dave...it'd be a bit cold out your way this morning!

Cheers, Baz
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

big maq
500m Poster

Re: Congratulations Mitch J!

Post by big maq » June 9th, 2009, 7:33 pm

Kona2 wrote:Breaking news! We have another half marathoner in our crew from this morning's report!

Congratulations to Mitch J...aka Big Maq of Arizona...on what I believe is his first half marathon of the 2010 rowing season. Good rowing!

Image Half moon rises over Arizona!

Thanks to all for the encouragement. Seeing all the other half moons on the board I wanted to get one on the log before June 21st. There is a psychological element to it I had forgotten about and hadn't really prepared for. It was a boost to see the meters count down after breaking below the 10,000 meter mark.

Mitch J.

Kristine Strasburger
10k Poster

Post by Kristine Strasburger » June 9th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Lots of meters happening. Great job, crew!
☆~Kristine~☆

Dave_H
2k Poster

Post by Dave_H » June 10th, 2009, 6:35 am

Thanks for the congrats all... B)
BAZzy wrote: Nice work Dave...it'd be a bit cold out your way this morning!
Cheers, Baz
Certainly was Baz, although I was at Macquarie Park by 6am today - so I can vouch for the cool temps all over Sydney. My wife won't let me whinge about it though, as she endures Katoomba several days each week. Around -5C with the breeze this morning... :shock:

Rgds,
Dave

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 6.09.09

Post by Kona2 » June 10th, 2009, 10:48 am

Getting on to winter there in Aussie land......and here we're finally climbing out of the 40s (F) (7 to 9 C) here at the 0600 hr... here we are talking about the Summer Solstice...and you're getting ready for the Winter Solstice! At least our 21,097 m goal is the same!

Woohoo! We've crossed the ELEVEN million meter mark as a team!

Season meters as of 40/365 = 11,157,056 m

Total meters on the day = 270,429 m

Oars in space = 45 percent! Wowzer! Great !

MILESTONES....Bragging Rights....Celebrations:

600K Chris
200K Teresa
Image and with half marathon # 28 it's Image
Image Dan extracts half marathon # 25 Image

ROWED THE DISTANCE: Award distances (plus some) completed in multiple sessions within a 24 hr period

Image Full Moon over the Desert (greater than 42,195 m in a 24 hr period)

Wild Bill with 43,000 m

And thanks to today's lunar crew for all the kinds of meters:

Steven 5,000 m
Peter G 5,000 m
Voodoogirl Laurie 5,082 m
Terry 5,136 m
David G 5,194 m
Gina 6,000 m
Teresa 6,012 m
Lilia 8,000 m
K2 10,000 m
Ted 10,000 m
Peter H 10,000 m
Mike C 10,931 m
Tim 11,814 m
Mitch J 12,533 m
Dave 12,542 m
Barbara 13,095 m
Bazzy 14,276 m
Darryl 14,620 m
Kiba 20,000 m
Chris 21,097 m
Dan 21,097 m
William H 43,000 m
Last edited by Kona2 on June 11th, 2009, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

BAZzy
6k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 6.10.09

Post by BAZzy » June 10th, 2009, 6:48 pm

Kona2 wrote:Getting on to winter there in Aussie land......and here we're finally climbing out of the 40s (F) (7 to 9 C) here at the 0600 hr... here we are talking about the Summer Solstice...and you're getting ready for the Winter Solstice! At least our 21,097 m goal is the same!
Hey K2, I had a whinge to myself this morning when I got on the rower (5am) and it felt cold.....at least it is supposed to be winter here, noting your temperatures and it is supposed to be your summer! We get it too good here!!

Cheers....
www.thelandy.com

Kiba
1k Poster

Post by Kiba » June 10th, 2009, 9:42 pm

So I was just looking around the C2 website, and I found this http://www.concept2.com/us/racing/recor ... ecords.asp The bottom entry is a lady who is 70! and she rowed 100 000m. She rowed for nearly 24 hours straight. That is extreme.

just27
10k Poster

Ultra Rows

Post by just27 » June 10th, 2009, 11:47 pm

Kiba wrote:So I was just looking around the C2 website, and I found this http://www.concept2.com/us/racing/recor ... ecords.asp The bottom entry is a lady who is 70! and she rowed 100 000m. She rowed for nearly 24 hours straight. That is extreme.
Goodness, that link piqued my interest for a whole half hour! How could anyone row for 24 straight hours, or 1,000,000 meters ... ?
There appears to be a nice niche for us all in the "24 hour internet relay" -- just needs someone to organize it (plus a little investment in Row-Pro software); an entire worldwide day of team interest and drama on the way to destination moon ... ?! :shock:

BAZzy
6k Poster

Post by BAZzy » June 11th, 2009, 4:26 am

Hello fellow Lunatics..thought you might be interested in this. I emailed Dave Holby, the guy that is at the top of the rowing metres for this season to commend him on his great effort...48K a day average (my backside aches just thinking about it!)...

Anyway, the story goes that he is aiming to row around the world in 18 months to create a world record and, importantly, raise money for a charity, Breakthrough Breast Cancer.... This is his website..

http://www.justgiving.com/worldrecordrow

Cheers,
Baz
www.thelandy.com

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Joan Joesting-Mahoney and the 100K

Post by Kona2 » June 11th, 2009, 8:51 am

Kiba - thanks for pointing out yet another accomplishment by Joan Joesting-Mahoney (the woman who completed the 100K twice...once at 64 and a second time at 70). She is one of my heroes. She owns more records for perimeter rides than just about anyone. She is a member of the Perimeter Bicycling Association of America (PBAA), and PBAA hosts the El Tour de Tucson (the first organized bike ride I ever did). A perimeter ride is just what it sounds like: you have a ride that goes around the perimeter of a city or a state or a country. Joan's ridden her bike(s) all over the world, and is currently a member of the Ducks rowing team. I believe she still competes in the Crash B's as well. Good stuff !

Good find also Bazzy - I can't remember the name of the guy who rowed something like 3 MM in one month for Breast Cancer awareness...Brian something....a year or two ago. He kept a blog about his experiences - quite emotional as he pushed towards what seems like 100K a day rowing lengths. And seat cushioning was indeed an issue for him as well as trying to consume enough calories for the effort. Wild Bill is almost rowing the same amounts with his 43K days just about every day! Amazing!