LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

just27
10k Poster

Re: PB

Post by just27 » May 23rd, 2009, 5:54 pm

DuluthMoose wrote:Kona2 - This morning's entry is a PB for me for an hour row. I finally cracked the 15K barrier with 15,054 meters @ 1:59.5 / 500M AVE.
Great effort, Darryl ... those splits are very impressive. Do you find your stroke gets a bit ragged when you're pushing for a PB (the time, not the sandwich) or do you just power through?

I've signed up for a 3 hour dusk-to-moonlight paddle (kayak, not canoe ... but close enough in my mind) on the July full moon, so look forward to being the person in Jan's image!

Toothdoc
10k Poster

PB

Post by Toothdoc » May 23rd, 2009, 8:22 pm

Darryl,

Nice row, I'm envious of your split times.

dc

Kiba
1k Poster

Re: Fondue

Post by Kiba » May 23rd, 2009, 8:45 pm

Toothdoc wrote: Take a look at the honor board WB, WS, Kiba, CT and I all spend abnormal amounts of time on the erg and none of us qualify for the for the top 3 spots
Hey now... there is absolutely nothing abnormal about me... And that's not denial talking.. okay, maybe it is denial talking.

Way to go Darryl on the personal best!

big maq
500m Poster

Post by big maq » May 23rd, 2009, 10:46 pm

Congrats Darryl,
I was trying to get my 10 K down under 2 min. I was getting close before my extended hiatus. Now I'm starting over pretty much. I love my E machine. The heart monitor adds a new perspective. I can already see how my heart rate has slowed while putting out the same effort. But imagine my surprise when I stepped on the scale after a couple weeks of rowing and I gained 2 pounds!! I'm telling myself its muscle gain. Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

To the moon!!!
Mitch

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

Post by DuluthMoose » May 23rd, 2009, 11:05 pm

just27 wrote: Do you find your stroke gets a bit ragged when you're pushing for a PB (the time, not the sandwich) or do you just power through?

I've signed up for a 3 hour dusk-to-moonlight paddle (kayak, not canoe ... but close enough in my mind) on the July full moon, so look forward to being the person in Jan's image!

Chris, if I'm going to give it everything I've got for a row, I have to prepare myself mentally in advance for at least an hour, and then stay focused on heart rate and cadence for the whole row. I also wait until there is a high pressure area controlling our weather before I attempt a strenuous row - more available oxygen should keep heart rate lower. From a cold start I work up to HR=135 for the first 5 min; then stay at HR=145 until min 20 when I am fully warmed up. Then I hold HR between 148 and 152 until min 45. Then I allow HR to rise to no more than 155 between min 45 and 55. If I have any more to give I will go up to HR=160 for the last five minutes, but do not go any higher. My output starts to go down as the heart rate goes up somewhere around minute 35, so thats why I control my HR in stages. I have to watch the PM3 frequently for HR and to keep my cadence constant at 26 or 27. If I don't stay focused I will drift to lower output usually within 45 seconds from sloppy form like allowing my legs to bow out rather than keep them driving straight back or not reaching as far forward as possible on the catch. I did watch one of my paddling videos on the PB row this morning, but it had little relevance to the outcome.

I hope you have the clearest of skies for your full moon paddle! Try to be on the water before the moon comes up to enjoy the whole show. It's very special paddling along with that shaft of moonlight reflecting and sparkling on the water. And some of the best views of a rising moon over water will be from paddling on the west shore.

Thanks for the Congrats Everyone! Much appreciated!

BAZzy
6k Poster

Post by BAZzy » May 24th, 2009, 1:15 am

just27 wrote:
DuluthMoose wrote:Kona2 - This morning's entry is a PB for me for an hour row. I finally cracked the 15K barrier with 15,054 meters @ 1:59.5 / 500M AVE.
Great effort, Darryl ... those splits are very impressive. Do you find your stroke gets a bit ragged when you're pushing for a PB (the time, not the sandwich) or do you just power through?

Great work on the PB Darryl! Making new ground always gives a great sense of achievement..

Just27, paddling at night is the best thing out. Especially starting before dark and just letting the night take-over..... I look forward to hearing how it goes. Baz
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by bg » May 24th, 2009, 3:49 am

just27 wrote:

[color=green]congrats darryl and enjoy your trip...and congrats to everyone else who has reached milestones...yup..i'm catching up on the mail....and welcome to the new folks....[/color]

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 5.23.09

Post by Kona2 » May 24th, 2009, 9:22 am

Image Crew members on shore leave report finding a cryptic message with 333 written on a single page.....signed Image

Image Personal bests, milestones and celebrations abound! Inspired by visions of moonlight kayak excursions, crew completes two full moons and two half marathons !

Season meters as of 23/365 = 6,680,264 m

Total meters on the day = 251,226 m

Oars in space = 30 percent

MILESTONES....Bragging Rights....Celebrations:

500K Kiba
400K Bazzy
200K Dave
100K Mitch J

Image Darryl .... Personal best in the one hour row! Wowzer!

Image just27 completes half marathon # 21 Image
Image Dave from Oz completes half marathon # 4 Image

ROWED THE DISTANCE:

Image Full moon = greater than 42,195 m in a 24 hr period

Will S with 44,244 m!

Wild Bill with 43,000 m !

Great rowing by all of today's Luna-Tic crew:

Will S 44,244 m
Wild Bill 43,000 m
Kiba 30,000 m
Chris 21,097 m
Dave 21,097 m
Bazzy 20,614 m
Darryl 15,054 m
Barbara 10,027 m
Rick 10,000 m
Mike C 10,000 m
Jim 10,000 m
Mitch J 9,260 m
Peter G 6,500 m
Tony Image Image Image

nl07695
1k Poster

Post by nl07695 » May 24th, 2009, 2:15 pm

Great photoshopping Jan !!! Amzing how you added the perfect shadow to the left. Or did you add the sunset to the picture? Well either of the two, it's a perfect job. Hard to tell were the cuts were made. Can you host some classes? I still don't master it like you do.

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Some say...

Post by Kona2 » May 24th, 2009, 5:51 pm

Some say .... that the sunset was probably added at a later time, but not by me.

Image and Image are missing their callings as forensic experts.....I go for the colors and miss some of the details.....

just27
10k Poster

Air has weight!

Post by just27 » May 24th, 2009, 5:55 pm

DuluthMoose wrote: ... if I'm going to give it everything I've got for a row, I have to prepare myself mentally for at least an hour, and then stay focused on heart rate and cadence for the whole row. I also wait until there is a high pressure area controlling our weather before I attempt a strenuous row - more available oxygen should keep heart rate lower ...
I'm always amused at where the posts on this forum take me ... today I found myself on the NASA site (for kids!), wondering ... how does weather affect air pressure? (This after thinking "wha-aht ... wait for a high pressure area to drift this way before starting a serious row?") I now have some splendid conversational openers for our next cocktail party ... including the composition of air, and the atomic weight of nitrogen and oxygen ... I also have the UNISYS weather site bookmarked so I can check today's pressure (which, I must report, is 1014.6 ... :D )

Thanks for the tips on moonlight paddling, Baz and Moose ... I'm looking forward to it ... mosquitoes notwithstanding.

BAZzy
6k Poster

Paddling at Night

Post by BAZzy » May 24th, 2009, 7:40 pm

just27 wrote:
DuluthMoose wrote: ...

Thanks for the tips on moonlight paddling, Baz and Moose ... I'm looking forward to it ... mosquitoes notwithstanding
Reading of a ‘night paddle’ had me reminiscing about the Hawkesbury Classic…

I wrote a story about it at the time and I hope you enjoy it; there was a lot of ‘twitching’ in the seat going on over that 12 hours…couldn’t sit down for days!

Cheers, Baz

http://www.canoe.org.au/site/canoeing/a ... 20bust.pdf
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

acrewer
2k Poster

Post by acrewer » May 24th, 2009, 9:29 pm

While I know the science behind the use of hyperbaric oxygen chambers for autism - more oxygen to the brain seems to help- it never dawned on me that air pressure could affect available oxygen. DUH!

But higher barometer readings usually mean higher temps, so any benefit is mitigated by the heat.

just27
10k Poster

Re: Paddling at Night

Post by just27 » May 25th, 2009, 3:12 am

BAZzy wrote:Reading of a ‘night paddle’ had me reminiscing about the Hawkesbury Classic … I wrote a story about it at the time and I hope you enjoy it; there was a lot of ‘twitching’ in the seat going on over that 12 hours…couldn’t sit down for days!
http://www.canoe.org.au/site/canoeing/a ... 20bust.pdf
Nice story ... thanks for sharing your experience. I have an overwhelming hankering for some scones and jam now but, seeing it's midnight, I guess I'll wait until breakfast ... which will be long after the sun comes up.

How was it, living in PNG? My dad was in Port Moresby for a while, long before it became independent. Sounds more mainstream now.

Kiba
1k Poster

Post by Kiba » May 25th, 2009, 4:41 am

I liked your story Bazzy. I'd like to be able to do something like that some day.

The air pressure apparently effects the drag factor on the erg too, but I'm not sure if it's noticeable

On a more sombre note, I just suffered my first rowing injury. I try to do everything right. I don't put my knees past my ankles, I don't slouch (often), I row with both hands... But then suddenly I get clocked on the side of the head with a 1.5 pound piece of bacon basted rawhide.. Courtesy of my 80 pound husky who has learned the unfortunate art of throwing stuff at me. None of those little safety videos ever recommended wearing a helmet while using the erg..