Cannot Get Online Rowing To Function. Any Help?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Ikabob

e-row

Post by [old] Ikabob » November 14th, 2004, 7:29 pm

I am working with e-row V 4.0. I can set up a race and get to the point where there are names given to the boats, but then...I get an error message about the COM PORT not functioning. All goes well till then. I can chat and do off line rowing but no online. It has been very frustrating and I completely wasted the day tring to get a race going. All the people who joined my races...I apologized to cause it probably wasted their time too. I really wanted to get a good workout in but instead I ate some spaghetti and cheese cake out of frustration! Can anyone give me some advice. I am using an old computer 1.5 gigs and 32 mb of Ram with Windows 98. I think I have all the connections correct. Maybe I need to upgrade e-row to V 4.1 beta (115)??? I want to ROW someone. By the way I am slow and not fit at this time...not real bad but I suffered a disk injury and am still tryin to get back. (Not good to eat cheese cake I know.) Thanks for everyone's help. Everyone is very nice. Marilyn has helped me a lot. And everyone has been encouraging.

[old] Bill

e-row

Post by [old] Bill » November 14th, 2004, 10:38 pm

Ikabob,<br><br>I also get a message about the com port not functioning but on the little message screen that I get I just tick the "IGNORE" option and then everything works fine.<br><br><br>There are some options in the software that looks for and checks the com ports - you might try these - cannot remeber exactly where they are but try the various buttons at the top of the screen and you will find it.<br><br>Bill<br><br><br>

[old] Christine

e-row

Post by [old] Christine » November 15th, 2004, 6:39 am

Hei,<br>are you using your WIndows98 Computer?<br>Erow is not working very well on Windows XP with ServicePack2 as far as I have tried. I was wondering if there are a new Security check to avoid Modems to dial out by themselves, but I havn't found anything. If anybody knows anything, please let me know.<br>Marilyn just have deinstalled WIndows XP to race eRow again. I think she has now Windows 98 again. But ask her I can have misunderstod something.<br><br>Regards<br>Christine

[old] SteveV

e-row

Post by [old] SteveV » November 15th, 2004, 8:36 am

There is nothing wrong with winxp,sp2 and e-row for me, must be limited to certain PC setups<br><br><br>You shold not be using V4, use the Beta115 version, it's what everyone uses.<br><br>Another tip that sometimes clears errors is to do a full reset of the PM2+, turn it off, hold down all 4 buttons on the lower row, keep them held while turning it back on, if you get it right you should see a counting display on the pm2+. When this is finished it resets the pm2+, it has fixed comms errors for me before. WARNING though, I think this reset may clear your total mileage odometer.<br><br>if you are rowing offline ok, it sounds like it is connecting to the pm2+ ok though.<br><br>My first move would be to upgrade to beta4, or goto www.digitalrowing.com and download RowPro, it's a far better product and will be the future for onlinerowing.

[old] Ikabob

e-row

Post by [old] Ikabob » November 15th, 2004, 9:41 am

Thanks for the advice....will keep trying. I downloaded V4.1 115

[old] andyArvid

e-row

Post by [old] andyArvid » November 15th, 2004, 10:07 am

Download the Beta version<a href='http://www.concept2.com/products/erow/e ... ild115.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.com/products/erow/e ... <br>Giving the lack of memory and speed on your computer, avoid using other programs while on line in e-row (especially internet explorer it is a memory hog furthermore run it once and it stays in memory even if you close it).<br><br>Avoid messenger programs and other programs that may remove the focus from e-row. If you have anti-virus or a firewall installed, you may want to disable it temporarily while on-line.<br><br>You may need to look into memory usage, unfortunately win98 does not have a utility to show this. But there are freeware programs available. I had one but it has been a couple years and I forget its name.<br><br>Finally, if all else fails, borrow a computer from someone else to test e-row. Many people have reported computer specific problems. But they lack a pattern. Christine has had problems with XP SP2, others no. Marilyn has had problems with her desktop but not her notebook. With my notebook, I have about 1/3 chance of losing connection during the row between the erg and the notebook. I have never had any problem with my desktop even after I upgraded to Service Pack 2.