LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by bg » April 22nd, 2009, 10:31 am

sorry...i just can't keep up with all these mile stones....so yeah luna-tics.......

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by bg » April 22nd, 2009, 10:42 am

happy birthday orion.....how are you going to celebrate.....

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

Congrats!

Post by DuluthMoose » April 22nd, 2009, 11:29 am

Wow Dan! Congratulations on your 6 Million Meter Year! Way to Row!

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 4.21.09

Post by Toothdoc » April 22nd, 2009, 12:02 pm

6 MM Dan
900K Rick

Dan 13,016....I think you planned to hit 6,006,006 !

Kona2,

As it happened; when I quit last night the meter read 6,006,001. This part was not planned. So this morning, after dreamimg about ot all night, I rowed 5 meters to end up with 6,006,006.

The devil made me do it.

dc

Kristine Strasburger
10k Poster

Re: Fuel for Marathons

Post by Kristine Strasburger » April 22nd, 2009, 1:26 pm

kgallagher wrote:Wow! After reading Chris's and Kristine's fueling regime I'm afraid I'm a true lunatic.

I started my marathon day morning by eating a little bit of dry Golden Grahams cereal and walked my daughter to school. I then did my marathon with a bowl of strawberries and blueberries sitting beside me, but I didn't touch them. I never once had the urge to put any food in my mouth. I drank about 2 liters of water while on the erg. Also, I never got off. I ended up watching the same movie twice because I didn't want to get off the erg to change it for fear I might not get back on.

I drank lots the rest of the day and ate almost constantly that day and the day after. My body definitely needed the refueling.

Kristine's way sounds much more healthy than my approach.

Karyn
Well, Karyn, you rowed yours in an amazing time. You should be really proud. One factor I didn't talk about is the endurance length of time versus the energy output factor. First off, the winners of the running marathons do it in such fast time that they are not putting their bodies under the strain of doing the activity for hours on end, so their needs for food are different, and they don't keep stopping for pee breaks.

Of course, their energy output is a lot higher, so they still need to give their body fuel, but they don't seem to need as much because they are just not doing the activity long enough to need it. They are in better shape for their activity, and their bodies just work better for them because of it. I am not one of these people, so I have to plan to grit it out for longer in order to do the distance. If you did not "hit the wall" then you probably ate just the right thing before you started, and you expended just the right amount of energy for the time you spent doing the activity, thus you did not run out of energy before you were done.

Since you row on water, and have been rowing for a long time it appears that your body is in shape to handle the marathon distance at a high energy output. It is totally normal to feel hungry and keep eating through the next 24-48 hours, and need extra sleep, too. I think you did it just right for your fitness level. The water intake is the most important thing. And if you are indoors where it is not too hot or humid, and completing your exercise in just a few hours, then you should be able to safely drink just enough to keep going but not have to "go".

Congratulations, Ted, on making the FM Honor Board!

And to Doctor Dan, the 6 Million Meter Man!
☆~Kristine~☆

William H
2k Poster

Re: He's A Six Million Meter Man!

Post by William H » April 22nd, 2009, 1:56 pm

Kona2 wrote:Image

Whoo yah! Dan's a SIX million meter man! Congratulations on an amazing rowing year! At this time last year, your total meter count was 2,245,638 m! Nothing like about a 267 percent acceleration! Wowzer!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Great rowing, sir. Congratulations!

kgallagher
2k Poster

Post by kgallagher » April 22nd, 2009, 4:20 pm

WAY TO GO DAN! Your are an inspiration for the rest of us Loonies!

Karyn

BAZzy
6k Poster

Re: He's A Six Million Meter Man!

Post by BAZzy » April 22nd, 2009, 6:53 pm

Kona2 wrote:Image

Whoo yah! Dan's a SIX million meter man! Congratulations on an amazing rowing year! At this time last year, your total meter count was 2,245,638 m! Nothing like about a 267 percent acceleration! Wowzer!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Great work Dan, that is a solid commitment to rowing each day!
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

BAZzy
6k Poster

Nutrition

Post by BAZzy » April 22nd, 2009, 7:05 pm

Given an ongoing interest in nutrition especially at this time when many are doing a FM/HM (I should be :roll: ) I thought it worthwhile posting some addtional information from the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) website.

This one contains some information on fluids etc. I'm sure there is plenty of information to be found, however I have always found the AIS a good source of information.

http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition ... rts/rowing

Pleased to say the Leprechauns have sorted out the Damper issue following my holidays........ :D

Good luck out there........
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Milage

Post by Toothdoc » April 22nd, 2009, 10:45 pm

To All,

Thanks for the kudos. With your encouragement, the friendly rivalries and Team & C2 challeges this has been an interesting and productive year for all Lunatics. Hopefully we all will do as well or better next year. I could name names but I don't have time to type in 80 names.

As Will S noted guilt and angst are great motivators. Also seeing your name in lights on Kona2's stat reports helps too.

dc

TedCG
Paddler

Re: Full Marathon for Ted C-G!

Post by TedCG » April 22nd, 2009, 11:13 pm

Congratulations, Dan! 6 Million, man, I can't even imagine.

Kona:
Congratulations to Ted C-G on his full marathon! Is this another first?

No, my third FM since I started erging in 2004. However, it was a PB. Modesty precludes reporting the actual time (not my modesty, the modesty of the time) :oops: Here's hoping that all the talk about distance athletes peaking late is really true :shock:

Many thanks to Captain Kristine, Science Officer Kona, and all my Luna-Tic crewmates for much motivation, lots of good information, and no small amount of entertainment.

Let's Rock(et) On into the 2009/10 season... To Infinity and Beyond!
Slow and Steady is my pace, so it seems,
Slow and Steady wins the race, in my dreams.

just27
10k Poster

Re: Full Marathon for Ted C-G!

Post by just27 » April 23rd, 2009, 1:53 am

Congrats, to Dan on the 6 million meter season ...

... and to Ted for the latest Luna-Thon.
To Infinity and Beyond, indeed!

Was your birthday fun, Orion? You driving yet?

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Another Meter Multimillionaire!

Post by Kona2 » April 23rd, 2009, 8:13 am

ImageImageImageImage

Woohoo! Congratulations to Peter H - our newest meter multimillionaire - on his TWO million meter season! He's met his goal !

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Re: Another Meter Multimillionaire!

Post by Toothdoc » April 23rd, 2009, 8:15 am

Kona2 wrote:ImageImageImageImage

Woohoo! Congratulations to Peter H - our newest meter multimillionaire - on his TWO million meter season! He's met his goal !
Peter H,

Good job. Goals falling eveywhere!

dc

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Colleen Cook - Nutritionist - Clif Bar Co.

Post by Kona2 » April 23rd, 2009, 9:08 am

Marathons: Plan Your Nutrition and Hydration Pre-Event, During, Post-Event !! Le Menu!

I attended a talk given by a sports nutritionist (Colleen Cook of Clif Bar) last night as part of a cycling training series. Cycling and rowing are both endurance types of exercise, so the philosophy fits both. She has an MS in exercise physiology and is a registered dietician who previously worked with the Boulder Center of Sports Medicine. She's also an athlete herself, so she's been there. I tried to capture some sound bites that I could pass along to the Luna-Tics, and she did indeed provide some gold nuggets! Assume there are some quotes around some of these :

Good nutrition is the combination and timing of the right foods and HYDRATING. If we only took away one thing from her talk, she wanted it to be hydrate.

What about protein versus carbohydrates vs fat?

Fat has become like a three letter F word, yet fat burns in a carbohydrate furnace. Protein helps with the immune system. Endurance athletes need protein more than power athletes.

During your endurance event (think marathon here), have a plan about how you're going to fuel your event and maintain energy. When we are expending the kind of energy or calories per hour that we are, we need between 30 and 60 grams of carbohydrate (CHO) per hour. You can get that from a gel, or 3 clif shot blocks (she was from Clif after all), a banana, a pop tart (yep)...lots of regular food.

While exercising, fuel with white flour products (GASP)...you really don't need (or want!) the extra fiber from multigrains or wheat during this type of exercise.

What about fluids, carbohydrates and electrolytes?

The electrolytes help the fluid stay in. Sport drinks, gels, shot blocks can provide both the carbs and the electrolytes. A lot of people dilute the sport drinks....you don't want to do that. You do want to have a drink that has 6 to 8 percent carbohydrates.

Take shot blocks and gels with water. You don't want to use a sport drink chaser on these.

What about carbo-loading the night before an event?ImageImage

Actually, you should do the carbo-loading TWO nights before and have a normal meal the night before. She suggests that you start two to three days before your event by: adding an extra slice of bread to your dinner, or add a glass of milk with meals, and have an extra bottle of sports drink. Image Image

What if you feel starving after your event?

Then you didn't fuel correctly before, during or after the event. (I think several of us "get" that now.)

Post-event Nutrition

After the event is completed, have some protein within 30 minutes. Have a meal within two hours.

Something to think about! After all, the idea is that we still want to enjoy rowing after the event!