LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

Kristine Strasburger
10k Poster

Post by Kristine Strasburger » April 16th, 2009, 2:00 pm

Great Job, Everyone!

And a standing ovation for stats girl, Jan (Kona2) for keeping us all going this whole long challenge.

Way to lead the charge, Karyn!
☆~Kristine~☆

kgallagher
2k Poster

Re: for Karyn!

Post by kgallagher » April 16th, 2009, 2:11 pm

DuluthMoose wrote:ImageINCOMING for KARYN!Image

Thanks Moose! I needed that refreshing attack. Guess what I just did. I DID MY FIRST MARATHON.

Yup, you read that correctly. I decided to end my erging season in style and attacked a marathon today. How on Earth do you Loonies manage to do repeats of this? One was exhausting enough.

Forgive me, but now I'm going to brag. I am pleased with my results. I did my marathon in 3:19:54.2 That breaks down to a 2:22.1 split per 500m and 122 watts. My goal was to have an average split below 2:30, so I exceeded my goal.

I doubt that I would have ever attempted this without all of the motivation and inspiration I get from my teammates. THANKS!

Karyn

PS(Right back at ya Moose!)

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

Post by DuluthMoose » April 16th, 2009, 2:35 pm

kgallagher wrote: PS(Right back at ya Moose!) [/b][/color] Image
Wow! Well done Karyn (on the Marathon).

But I anticipated your retaliation and ducked. But now you are in trouble!!!!Your balloon hit Captain K on the tied dyed bullseye on the right shoulder and the overspray I think got Dan on the back of the head! Was that you Dan?

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: Karyn's On The Global Marathon Board

Post by bg » April 16th, 2009, 2:41 pm

Kona2 wrote:Image
May this be the first of many moons for the Luna-Tics in this challenge!

Congratulations, Karyn ! A FULL marathon! Way to raise the bar for the rest of us!

And how was the experience???? You were very fast....ranking 2nd in the rowing universe in your group!

yeah karyn.....

just27
10k Poster

Post by just27 » April 16th, 2009, 5:43 pm

kgallagher wrote:I decided to end my erging season in style and attacked a marathon today. ... I did my marathon in 3:19:54.2 That breaks down to a 2:22.1 split per 500m and 122 watts. My goal was to have an average split below 2:30, so I exceeded my goal.
Karyn

Great Job on the FM, Karyn ... your time just blows me away ... what was your heart rate?

... and seeing that you and Darryl have started a water balloon fight, I have some ammunition lined up, just in case the action this way comes!

Chris T

kgallagher
2k Poster

Post by kgallagher » April 16th, 2009, 8:22 pm

Great Job on the FM, Karyn ... your time just blows me away ... what was your heart rate?

... and seeing that you and Darryl have started a water balloon fight, I have some ammunition lined up, just in case the action this way comes!

Chris T[/quote]

I'm afraid I don't monitor my heart rate, so I can't tell you. I just guage my workouts by my splits. If I am doing a short sprint piece (1,000 m or so) I'll be around a 1:57 split. When I do a light ss I rest around a 1:23 split anything slower than that is basically a paddle for me. I started off solid around a 2:15-2:20 and hung there for about the first half. During the second half I dropped down 2:20-2:25ish. I took more water breaks in the second half where I rowed one handed and drank. (Obviously my splits dropped at these moments.) I never stopped erging. I ended up watching the same movie twice as I didn't want to get off to change the dvd. (I watched Boondock Saints for anyone who's interested. Not space related, but a lot of action.) I think the action helped keep the splits down.

The last 10,000m or so was continuous self-talk reminding me of how close I was and that I could make it. I was dead at the end. No cool down on the erg. I got off and stretched, took some ibuprofrin and a bath. I have some sore muscles now and will probably have more tomorrow. It was hard. I truly am impressed by those of you who do these halves, fulls, and red giants on a regular basis. I feel that I've accomplished a lot doing one and feel content to stay with one.

Thanks for all the cheers. Hey Chris, keep an eye on your ammunition stores. I might be stealing some off of you. :wink:

Karyn

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

More Ammo

Post by DuluthMoose » April 16th, 2009, 9:34 pm

Chris - I'll see your 9 balloons in a row; and raise you 27! With them all lined up like you have yours, one on the mark cannon shot would take them out.......

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

Request Permission

Post by DuluthMoose » April 16th, 2009, 9:41 pm

Captain K - Requesting permission to fire one over the bow of Final Results Fitness!

just27
10k Poster

Re: More Ammo

Post by just27 » April 16th, 2009, 11:06 pm

DuluthMoose wrote:Chris - I'll see your 9 balloons in a row; and raise you 27! With them all lined up like you have yours, one on the mark cannon shot would take them out.......
Well, maybe, but my balloons are prettier ... and if the sun's in your eyes, you're SOL. (Oh, that's right, you don't have sun up your way, yet!)

:D 27 (Karyn - feel free to borrow whatever you want ... you deserve it.)

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

Post by DuluthMoose » April 17th, 2009, 12:18 am

[quote="just27"] ... and if the sun's in your eyes, you're SOL. (Oh, that's right, you don't have sun up your way, yet!)

The sun now gets above the horizon at Latitude 47N and we had upper 50's for the high today. In fact most of the snow is gone now (or maybe it is just making more room for more snowstorms yet to come?). You can see on today's Sat photo that the ground is no longer reflecting white. And you can see that the lakes are no longer ice covered to the south of where I live. But sadly the lakes are all iced covered to the northeast of Duluth in my paddling playground.
http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/ind ... tion=1000m

Kona2
Marathon Poster

The water balloon supplies will dwindle

Post by Kona2 » April 17th, 2009, 12:29 am

Disappointing to drop in the overall ratings - yet we have maintained our fifth spot in the virtual team category! We rowed a great challenge - lot of personal milestones!

Image Image Image Image Image

Let the water balloon fight begin! Might work better in the summer...right now we're going to be using snow ammo...

Oh....and happy square root day !

just27
10k Poster

Post by just27 » April 17th, 2009, 1:44 am

DuluthMoose wrote: The sun now gets above the horizon at Latitude 47N and we had upper 50's for the high today. In fact most of the snow is gone now (or maybe it is just making more room for more snowstorms yet to come?).
Ammo for a Minnesota water balloon fight? (Ouch.)

Kristine Strasburger
10k Poster

Re: Request Permission

Post by Kristine Strasburger » April 17th, 2009, 2:23 am

DuluthMoose wrote:Captain K - Requesting permission to fire one over the bow of Final Results Fitness!

Fire three for good measure!
☆~Kristine~☆

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

Re: Request Permission

Post by DuluthMoose » April 17th, 2009, 8:06 am

Kristine Strasburger wrote:
DuluthMoose wrote:Captain K - Requesting permission to fire one over the bow of Final Results Fitness!

Fire three for good measure!
INCOMING!ImageImageImage

*****************************************************************>
...................................................................................................../
...............................................................FINAL FITNESS RESULTS...../
.................................................................................................../
................................................................................................../
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

Post by DuluthMoose » April 17th, 2009, 8:48 am

BG -A good luck in the Boston Marathon toss! Image