Massive loss in strength!

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
robinfisichella
Paddler

Massive loss in strength!

Post by robinfisichella » March 25th, 2009, 6:05 am

Hi, new to the forum.

Ive been rowing about 8 months (on the water, mostly sweeping) and have noticed just yesterday during my only weights session in the last 8 months how much muscle i have lost.

Im part of a uni rowing club and i do a massive amount of fitness work, i do about 50k a week on the erg and 40k on the water, plus a couple of circuit sessions but to this point i didnt bother with the weights...

I am taking rowing very seriously at the moment, im doing double sessions at least 3 days a week and training on 6 (so at least 9 in total). Im a bit disapointed in my loss in strength, especially upper body, this time 2 years ago i benced 85kg now its probably 60kg (though i have dropped probably 10kg, im now 74kg).

I know upper body muscle isnt that important but i would like to know what the elite water rowers are doing in terms of weight training per week and which muscle groups they focus on.

Many thanks
Whatever it takes!

ThatMoos3Guy
2k Poster

Post by ThatMoos3Guy » March 25th, 2009, 12:11 pm

I don't know about elite rowers, but I can share the lifts that I focus on.

You're right in that it's important to do a lot of lower body lifting. Some good exercises for this are:

Squat
Deadlift
Clean

As these are all fairly technical lifts, it's important to make sure that your form is correct. Make sure to start off with low weights.

Upper body isn't as important, but you should still have some focus on it. My two favorite rowing-centric upper body lifts are:

Pull-Ups
Bent Over Rows

They both do a pretty good job of hitting the back and biceps.

The number of sets and reps you do depends upon your purpose. To increase maximal strength it is ideal to work in the 3-6 rep range. To increase muscle mass and some strength the 8-12 range would be ideal. If you're trying to increase muscular endurance, then you want to be in the 15 and up range.

A good program to do is the Starting Strength program. It's developed by Mark Rippetoe. I highly reccomend buying the book, it's a great resource for all your lifting needs.

Hope that was helpful.

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Re: Massive loss in strength!

Post by Bob S. » March 25th, 2009, 12:20 pm

robinfisichella wrote:Im a bit disapointed in my loss in strength, especially upper body, this time 2 years ago i benced 85kg now its probably 60kg (though i have dropped probably 10kg, im now 74kg).

Your other message about the flatus problem makes just a brief comment about protein. What I read into it is that you are not getting nearly enough. You are not going to retain much muscle mass if you are not supplying the necessary building blocks for replacement.

Bob S.

robinfisichella
Paddler

Post by robinfisichella » March 25th, 2009, 1:16 pm

Yes thanks, i was thinking this, though its a bit late i guess now!

Ill take a look at the program, i think maximal strength is the problem for me at the moment, my muscular endurance isnt great but its above average while my fitness is probably one of the best in my club based on erg scores anyway.
Thanks for the input
Whatever it takes!

tditmar
Paddler

Post by tditmar » March 25th, 2009, 7:34 pm

I noticed the lift you mentioned as an example of your loss in strength was the bench press. As lifts go, the motion and muscles used would probably be opposite those used rowing. I wonder if you've lost as much strength in lifts that compliment rowing?

If your goal is strength training to compliment rowing, then certainly lifts that come closest to the motions in rowing would be best. Though strong evidence has suggested rowing alone makes you a faster rower.

If your concern is based on loss of strength in the bench press, and lifts that use more of a pushing motion, then focus on those lifts. That will also help maintain balance and symetry, but probably not help your rowing much.
"Fall seven times, stand up eight" Japanese proverb

PaulH
6k Poster

Post by PaulH » March 26th, 2009, 8:11 am

To slightly contradict tditmar slightly, I think that doing exercises that oppose the rowing movement is very important. Your body needs some balance in development to provide a solid platform for your rowing muscles, in much the same way as having a solid core is important in sports that don't seem to be dependent on it (including rowing). To get faster at rowing, row, but to improve your body's general fitness for rowing do an all-around program of weights.

bloomp
10k Poster

Post by bloomp » March 26th, 2009, 11:55 am

Both PaulH and tdit are correct:

You should bench press, you need to have strong triceps/pecs to help support the oar. You also cannot ignore those muscles as they develop (quoting Paul verbatim there).

BUT - you cannot use that to judge your strength, I would use your squat, bench pull, clean, or abdominal strength to judge that.

Paul Bloom
24, 166lbs, 5'9

tditmar
Paddler

Post by tditmar » March 26th, 2009, 7:10 pm

To clarify my post a bit...

I am all for a sort of crossfit approach to exercise, for general wellness as they put it in their journal. I was merely reponding to the way robin measured her loss of strength, as well as citing numerous studies I have seen over the years stating the best way to exercise to become a fast rower is to row. For that matter, the best way to become better at any particular sport, is to work at that sport. Much of it refutes any other exercise is actually needed. Now as far as for overall wellness (which includes strength, agility, speed, power, etc), that is entirely another matter and why I like the crossfit sort of approach to exercise. It is also why in their first journal "what is crossfit," they make an argument against a famous triathlete being named the fittest person alive. He lacks so many other physical skills due to the ones focused on to be the best in his profession.
"Fall seven times, stand up eight" Japanese proverb