LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

William H
2k Poster

Re: Just to clarify

Post by William H » March 25th, 2009, 11:06 am

Kona2 wrote:Image

Help me understand this:

The award distances have to be completed in one sitting. These are the full marathons, the half marathons and the newly designated red giants.

Distances that are equivalent to the award distances, yet completed in more than one row session during a 24 hr period, are moons of some sort, complicated by using the same pictures. How are we supposed to know which one is a real award and which one is an equivalent?

Aaaaaack.
Good point, and why I asked if my 50k meters, done in multiple sittings, was a "real" Red Giant.

I would look at it like this:

An "official" distance, which must be rowed in one sitting, are those available for a ranking on the C2 books. These distances are:
500 m
1,000 m
2,000 m
5,000 m
6,000 m
10,000 m
21,097 m (Half Marathon)
42,195 m (Full Marathon)
100,000 m

For us to recognize a "Half Marathon" or a "Full Marathon," the member reporting that distance should advise you that it was accomplished in one sitting. Otherwise, it would be recognized as a "Half Moon" or a "Full Moon" in recognition of the distance covered, but in multiple stints over the course of the same day.

Any other (unofficial) distance(s) we choose to recognize, e.g. 50,000 m as a "Red Giant," would be up to us to decide whether it must be rowed as a single piece or in multiple stints

Since 50,000 m is not eligible for ranking on the C2 books, I'd say multiple sittings over the course of the same day would be OK.

Our (Luna-Tic) precedents are:

Half Moon - multiple sittings OK
Full Moon - multiple sittings OK
Red Giant - ?

What say you all?

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 3.24.09

Post by Kona2 » March 25th, 2009, 11:24 am

Welcome new team member (and another cyclist !) Rick C to the lunar (and sometimes loonier) crew!

Season meters as of 328/365 = 72,967,070 m

Total meters on the day = 988,819 m

Oars in space = 34 percent

MILESTONES...Bragging Rights....Celebrations:

5.4 MM Dan C
4.6 MM William H
3.3 MM Darryl
1.5 MM Andrea
900K Michael S

TWO Million Meter Watch: Dave's almost there!

ONE Million Meter Watch:

Kristine with (8,639 m) to go! Image

Michael S has entered the countdown with (89,541 m) to go!

And thanks to today's rowers:

Rick C 619,936 m (imported)
William H 40,000 m
Will S 37,653 m
Dan 32,212 m
Michael S 25,086 m
Baz 25,000 m
Tim P 21,123 m
Jan 21,097 m
Darryl 16,990 m
Dave 15,124 m
Mike M 13,591 m
Chris T 12,000 m
Andrea 11,733 m (2 days)
Rodrigo 11,133 m
Terry M 11,000 m
Chris S 10,000 m
Mike C 10,000 m
Peter H 10,000 m
Karyn 7,206 m
Tom R 7,016 m
Barbara 6,028 m
AJ 5,018 m
Kristine 5,015 m
Mary 5,015 m
Jeff 5,010 m
Tony 3,333 m
Peter G 1,500 m

March Madness - we sure have it -

Luna-Tics on the Boards: Congratulations to Terry M! Looks like you are the first Luna-Tic to meet the 25 day requirement for the March Madness Certificate!

5K and above: 24
10K and above: 12

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

Re: Just to clarify

Post by DuluthMoose » March 25th, 2009, 12:30 pm

Kona2 wrote:Image

Help me understand this:

The award distances have to be completed in one sitting. These are the full marathons, the half marathons and the newly designated red giants.

Distances that are equivalent to the award distances, yet completed in more than one row session during a 24 hr period, are moons of some sort, complicated by using the same pictures. How are we supposed to know which one is a real award and which one is an equivalent?

Aaaaaack.

Kona2 - Back in January when you were in NZ, the Luna-Tics had several pages of discussion on this topic; probably about pages 184? to 187? This isn't a black and white subject and I'm sure there will be further discussion, but I think there was general agreement on the following:
- The Concept 2 rower is a training tool for on the water rowers as well as being a good workout tool in the gym (or home) for the rest of us.
- On the water rowers train with interval rowing (with intensity) with breaks between intervals. And so do Crash B rowers. To say that a half marathon or full marathon must be done in one sitting doesn't fit with these folks.
- If breaks are part of a claimed half or full marathon, the time spent in breaks must be added to the half or full marathon recorded time.
- The half or full marathon must be completed all within the same workout session. If the focus is no longing on rowing, or the person leaves the rower to use another piece of equipment, or leaves the gym; the session is over.
- As the sub stats keeper at that time, I concluded that if someone was claiming a half or full marathon, they were on their honor in completing it within one workout session. It didn't matter if it was done in intervals or all in one sitting in the eyes of Concept 2, so I didn't pursue trying to define the two situations further. Darryl

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by bg » March 25th, 2009, 3:26 pm

[color=orange]congrats gina and welcome rick......btw...it was my understanding that to be an 'official' c2 distance, you must set the rower to that distance, and it is timed such that any break is added to your time,,,,,,does this make sense...imho....this should not take away from the accomplishment of unofficial rowing [/color]

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Seeking planetary alignment

Post by Kona2 » March 25th, 2009, 4:02 pm

Seeking planetary alignment, the stats keeper visited one of the wise ones....and found that March Madness is everywhere in the rowing universe...

Row a lot! We'll celebrate it somehow!

BAZzy
6k Poster

Post by BAZzy » March 25th, 2009, 6:47 pm

bg wrote:[color=orange]congrats gina and welcome rick......btw...it was my understanding that to be an 'official' c2 distance, you must set the rower to that distance, and it is timed such that any break is added to your time,,,,,,does this make sense...imho....this should not take away from the accomplishment of unofficial rowing [/color]
I think the general thrust is that people should be encouraged to row as best (and as far) as they can and be acknowledged for their accomplishments. I have certainly found over the last couple of weeks this has been the case for me and this group has provided the encouragement to do so…fitness and health being the biggest reward!

In terms of ‘official’ distances; it probably should be the intention to row it in one session, whether half/full marathon or the like and the correct distance set before starting. I can often pass half-marathon distances in a single work-out, but don’t consider it one as I usually do interval training and didn’t set out to do a half-marathon despite covering the distance. Oddly enough, I think the mind-set is sometimes different depending on what you want to achieve from a session.

How do you recognise it? Why not the Half/Full moon with a notation how it was done?

Great rowing all…
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

kgallagher
2k Poster

Post by kgallagher » March 25th, 2009, 9:30 pm

BAZzy wrote:
bg wrote:[color=orange]...In terms of ‘official’ distances; it probably should be the intention to row it in one session, whether half/full marathon or the like and the correct distance set before starting. I can often pass half-marathon distances in a single work-out, but don’t consider it one as I usually do interval training and didn’t set out to do a half-marathon despite covering the distance. Oddly enough, I think the mind-set is sometimes different depending on what you want to achieve from a session.

Great rowing all…

I like Bazzy's point. The goal of the workout makes a big difference. If you set the erg to marathon (or half-marathon) distance and row it until the time runs out, it should be a half or full marathon. Even if you get up to stretch, take water breaks or even bathroom breaks. If you get right back on to continue it counts. (I've run a 1/2 marathon and needed the water breaks and watched the NYC marathon and saw people stop for pee breaks, so I'm not against breaks as long as you get right back to the erg.) I just think a half or full marathon should be done in one session.

That being said, it is important to recognize ALL of our accomplishments. This team is amazing and puts in a tremendous amount of meters. Each and everyone should be recognized.

Jan is amazing with these statistics, but I think we could get too complicated trying to give due credit to the meters endured. My opinion would be everyone over 21097 should get a half moon; everyone over 42194 should get a full moon. If you did it in one sitting and want the acknowledgement that you did the half or full marathon, send Jan a personal message letting her know.

Karyn

PS(Well done Gina! Nice job on the 10k you cranked out. )

Kona2
Marathon Poster

There is no spoon

Post by Kona2 » March 25th, 2009, 9:44 pm

Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Spoon boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Spoon boy: Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

Ok - got it. As Will said, Red Giants all around. Besides, they are great carrots. :D

kgallagher
2k Poster

Re: There is no spoon

Post by kgallagher » March 25th, 2009, 9:54 pm

Kona2 wrote:Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Spoon boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Spoon boy: Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

Ok - got it. As Will said, Red Giants all around. Besides, they are great carrots. :D
Could that quote be from the Matrix?

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Another meter millionaire

Post by Kona2 » March 25th, 2009, 11:22 pm

ImageImage

Congratulations to the Captain! We have another meter millionaire!

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: Another meter millionaire

Post by bg » March 26th, 2009, 12:48 am

Kona2 wrote:ImageImage

yeah captain k.....woooo hoooooo

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Post by Toothdoc » March 26th, 2009, 5:27 am

bg wrote:

yeah captain k.....woooo hoooooo

Good job Kapt. K

dc

William H
2k Poster

Post by William H » March 26th, 2009, 5:37 am

Great job, Captain!

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

Congrats!

Post by DuluthMoose » March 26th, 2009, 7:21 am

Congratulations on one million meters for the season Captain! Way to Row!

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Celebrations ! Another meter multimillionaire!

Post by Kona2 » March 26th, 2009, 9:24 am

Woohoo! We have yet another entry into the coveted meter multimillionaire group!

Congratulations, Dave H! He's hit the TWO million meter mark for the season!

(Dave, how does this compare to last year)?