Around the World Row!

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
Calgary Rob
Paddler

Re: Around the World Row!

Post by Calgary Rob » March 21st, 2006, 8:58 am

ulu wrote: (PS: I am back out of the mountains and found a great rowing place in Calgary - the dowtown YMCA. Should be home in a few days.)
Hi Jim,

You should have said you were coming. A better place to row would have been my basement with my 7 year old son playing hockey for company. The anticipation of a puck in the back at any moment keeps you focussed :wink:

We live about a mile from the Y, just up the river on the north bank.

Hi John,

Congrats on the HM PB, I'm enjoying reading about your cycling cross-training.

Didn't you meet Catriona LeMay Doan recently?

I saw her at the Oval last Sunday doing a commentary. My 10 year old daughter and I "met" Cindi Klassen ... we said "congratulations and well done" Cindi said "thanks" :)

My daughter was there on the Saturday too, and said the place erupted when CK took 2 secs off of the 3000m WR. Some athlete!!

P.S. My C2EhTeam total is currently, 1,111,111 how cool is that?

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » March 21st, 2006, 1:50 pm

Hi Rob,
That wasn't me with Katrina. I remember someone mentioning her, but I can't remember who. Is your daughter into speed skating? Great sport for kids. Amazing that she could take 2 seconds off a 3k. I think about running, where it's 100ths or 10ths of a second. Incredible eh?

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » March 21st, 2006, 3:27 pm

9 Million Meters on March 20, hosers. Great rowin'.

Any guesses on when we will make it to Cairo, our next major city?
We have about 2.5 million meters to go before we get there and we are moving along at 150,000 meters per day so my guess is in about 17 days or on April 7.

Thanx for the offer on the erg Rob, but I don't know about a puck in the back of the head :lol: The Calgary Y is a nice facility. Excellent weights, running track, ergs, bikes, etc... Plus they have a daily drop in fee.

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim

PS (You will notice the odd kilometers from Virginia Drewry and Abby Martin. They were with us for the January challenge and wanted to keep going for the Round the World Row. They are regular members of a high school team in Virginia, so they just send me their kliks every now again and I post them for them. Hope this is OK with the rest of you hosers....)
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

Ben Rea
2k Poster

Post by Ben Rea » March 21st, 2006, 4:16 pm

isnt it 55 million meters around the world? how long is that going to take?!

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » March 21st, 2006, 5:39 pm

Ben Rea wrote:isnt it 55 million meters around the world? how long is that going to take?!
Our route from Port Magee, Ireland to the Concept2 Headquarters in Morrisville, Vermont is 55,863,195.54 meters, more or less.

So we have 46,633,135 meters to go at 153,000 meters per day -> so it should be about 304 more days. (43.5 weeks) or about January of 2007.
This may be optimistic as our average speed includes days with the January challenge rowers. But then again, the Eh!Team may gain some new rowers along the way.....

So anybody want to hazard a guess on the exact date we get there?

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » March 21st, 2006, 6:30 pm

My guess for the arrival will be Christmas day. Might be nice to be home for Christmas :D

danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » March 21st, 2006, 9:51 pm

ulu wrote:9 Million Meters
so they just send me their kliks every now again and I post them for them. Hope this is OK with the rest of you hosers....)
I know Ben was interested in contributing to the Around the World Row but he belongs to another team. Do you want to allow for members of other teams to contribute or does that start getting to be too much work?

Calgary Rob
Paddler

Post by Calgary Rob » March 22nd, 2006, 1:24 am

Yukon John wrote:Hi Rob,
That wasn't me with Katrina. I remember someone mentioning her, but I can't remember who. Is your daughter into speed skating? Great sport for kids. Amazing that she could take 2 seconds off a 3k. I think about running, where it's 100ths or 10ths of a second. Incredible eh?
Sorry John. Perhaps it was Mark K.

No, my daughter tried speed skating but didn't take to it, which is a pity as she has UK citizenship (as well as Canadian) and as the UK doesn't have any long skating ovals she would have surely made the UK winter olympic team.

Her main sport is swimming, and then running. She's done a couple of triathlons too.

8km for me today. Still feeling the effects of a cold.

Ben Rea
2k Poster

Post by Ben Rea » March 22nd, 2006, 7:49 am

danwho wrote:
ulu wrote:9 Million Meters
so they just send me their kliks every now again and I post them for them. Hope this is OK with the rest of you hosers....)
I know Ben was interested in contributing to the Around the World Row but he belongs to another team. Do you want to allow for members of other teams to contribute or does that start getting to be too much work?
yes, i think that would be great if i could help out, but i am not about to leave my highschool team being the one with the most meters. Is there any way we can get this done?

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » March 22nd, 2006, 6:15 pm

yes, i think that would be great if i could help out, but i am not about to leave my highschool team being the one with the most meters. Is there any way we can get this done?
Hi Ben, we appreciate your offer but you have to be a member of the Eh Team to participate in the Round the World Row. It would be too difficult for our Captain (Jim) to tabulate metres from non-members. A little background might help here too; The Eh Team originally decided to row across Canada, kind of the row across the home-land thing, eh? Then we decided to keep it going. But we plan on visiting lots of our friends from other countries and other teams along the way. So if you see a big boat passing by, come over for some back-bacon and a brew :D

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » March 23rd, 2006, 4:39 pm

Another country, hosers!

We are now rowing through Libya http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/fac ... os/ly.html

Hopefully we do run into a ghibli while we are passing through the southern desert terrain.

These are the 2nd and 3rd longest legs of our journey, so keep on rowin as we get back and forth across Africa.
Sue Keller was with us for the Trans Atlantic row. She will be joining the Eh!Team soon. Welcome her aboard.

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim

danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » March 23rd, 2006, 8:37 pm

Welcome Sue, from a little spot just south of the Canadian/Dixie line.

Catch you at the next oasis.

Ben Rea
2k Poster

Post by Ben Rea » March 23rd, 2006, 8:57 pm

its funny actually if you think about rowing in that kind of climate, like on an erg, i think 1 power 20 and i'd pass out!

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » March 24th, 2006, 1:42 pm

Our rowbot got tangled in C2's website data update this morning. The round the world row site is displaying inaccurate data.

Fortunately I have data back up to March 21. The rows from March 21 to today will look a little weird tho, they will probably show up as all of your meters from Mar 21 to Mar 24 on one day.

I will try and see if I can get this fixed when I get home from the shop.
(Not like I'm doing this from the office..... :wink: )

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » March 24th, 2006, 6:53 pm

Well the Around the World Row Site http://216.119.121.169/ehteam/default.aspx should now accurately reflect our total meters again. It will be off on the individual rows through
Feb 5 - 12
March 8 - 18
March 21 - 24

Sorry about that. :? I will see what I can do about finding a better back up. The way our rowbot keeps track of things makes it difficult to maintain a backup.

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim