brand new rower....is under a 1:30 for 500 good

From the CRASH-B's to an online challenge, discuss the competitive side of erging here.
Buckiller
Paddler

Post by Buckiller » December 14th, 2008, 2:42 am

MT, good luck in your quest. I would like to see a vid of you doing that, would be mighty impressive.

I myself am a lightweight (153lbs) and it seems that lightweights use a much higher stroke rating to compensate for their lower power/stroke. I would say that high stroke rates in general (assuming you have good form to keep it efficient) would help in shorter distances. Keep that wheel spinning!

TomR
6k Poster

Post by TomR » December 14th, 2008, 5:25 pm

mealticket--

Here are videos of Rob Smith doing world record rows for 300 m and 500m. He has lowered his 500 record since that video was shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp3Gzmvxi3s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glAua4Dr ... re=related

Rob is powerful--about 235 lbs, I believe.

You'll see his stroke is short for these efforts. The shins don't come to vertical. He's pulling approx 40 strokes per minute.

My guess is the drag factor is fairly high. Powerful guys typically use high drag when "sprinting."

Have fun.

mealticket
Paddler

Post by mealticket » December 22nd, 2008, 5:57 pm

ive been in park city...close to 7000ft. for the last week and 1/2 training so we'll see how it goes when i get back down to sea level.
I'll upload a vid as soon as i can

geraldo501
Paddler

stronger rowers

Post by geraldo501 » January 3rd, 2009, 9:28 pm

I read w/ interest your observations on starting out w/ the rower. I too am new to rowing, well getting on for a year I suppose, w/ a background in weights. I found when i started I could really just "power it out" I would squat for reps w/ 405 no problem, I have done a raw 15 reps on deadlift w/ 405 and would be able to row no problem the next day. My times are on the ranking list.

What I am finding though, alas, is this, the more I improve my technique, and change my weight training to accomodate rowing, ie, squats i now do 225 for 30 springy reps for 3 sets, I am not pulling the times I could early on. I find I dont have power in reserve, before I could kind of rest when my legs had lactic build up, I could just maintain my 500 split w/ minimal legs and mostly upper, for longer distances obviously, then when recovered do a more even pull.

I've also worked at getting my spm down, now my medium/ long distances are all 20-22 good form all that, but I dont get near the initial times I set when I would just calculate my split 500, set off at that rate and pull 27 spm w/ all kinds of form issues and use my power to rest while keeping the same rate.

anyway wanted to hear from folks in the same situation who have extra power and what the secret is to getting to that next level, ie, is the perfect rowing form for the perfect rowing athlete alone 6'3" 210 or is there something better for the 6' 240, thanks, Gerald