Twice a day??

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Jim40
Paddler

Twice a day??

Post by Jim40 » October 16th, 2008, 2:41 pm

I would appreciate hearing your comments on how often you row. My understanding is that rowing is a low/no impact sport and therefore can be performed daily, 7 days/week. How about twice a day rows? Is this considered ok, or does it put one at risk of an overuse injury?

Thanks for your opinion.

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » October 16th, 2008, 4:36 pm

If you are healthy work up to it, row with good technique, and do a sensible program you can row twice a day no problem. Olympic rows usually train 3 times a day.

iain
10k Poster

Re: Twice a day??

Post by iain » October 17th, 2008, 11:30 am

Jim40 wrote:I would appreciate hearing your comments on how often you row. My understanding is that rowing is a low/no impact sport and therefore can be performed daily, 7 days/week. How about twice a day rows? Is this considered ok, or does it put one at risk of an overuse injury?

Thanks for your opinion.
I think most people would recommend a day off a week, except during short "overload" training or where 10+ sessions are done a week, on the grounds that improvements are made while you rest. Also, you cannot generalise as sessions differ radically. few people do more than 3 intense sessions a week, so yes, some do 15 sessions a week or so, but the vast majority of these will be slow distances. Intense interval sessions take there toll even if not putting excessive impact on joints.

- Iain
56, lightweight in pace and by gravity. Currently training 3-4 times a week after a break to slowly regain the pitiful fitness I achieved a few years ago. Free Spirit, come join us http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/forum/

Snail Space
2k Poster

Post by Snail Space » October 18th, 2008, 4:19 pm

I row mainly for control of weight and blood pressure. In the past I've beaten tobacco and alcohol, but I'm finding it hard to resist the biscuit tin (erm, I suppose I should say "cookie jar" over this side of the water :wink: ).

I normally row early in the morning, but a couple of weeks ago I was forced by circumstance to row in the mid-evening. Contrary to my expectations, I was delighted to find that my usual late-night desire for nibbles had been suppressed. So I'm now tempted to add a few gentle, appetite-dampening evening rows to my x4-5 per week morning sessions. I might start with some 40' at 2:10 (I would usually do this at 2:00 - 2:05).

Cheers
Dave

Andy Nield
500m Poster

Post by Andy Nield » October 19th, 2008, 5:38 pm

Training twice a day is ok if you haven't got time to train 3 times a day...
[img]http://www.nielda.co.uk/pics/c2sig.gif[/img]
[color=orange][i]It never gets any easier... you just get faster...[/i][/color]