I like my slides - yes or no

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.

For those of you with first-hand experience, would you rather erg with the use of slides or without?

with slides
76%
without slides
24%

Total votes: 34

Rockin Roland
5k Poster

Post by Rockin Roland » July 28th, 2008, 6:11 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Rockin Roland wrote:As far as I'm concerned a grounded erg is a dead erg.
Guess I won't be inviting you over to row at my house, then. B)

Some people think geared bikes are pussy bikes, and fixies are the only way to go. Some people think twins are dinosaur motorcycles, and inline fours are the obvious choice for anyone with half a brain. Some people think grounded ergs are dead ergs.

IMO, there's a companion aphorism to "right tool for the job," and that's "right tool for the person." Anyone who says otherwise is a tool. (j/k, couldn't resist once that sentence got rolling.)
If you watched the last Moto GP race at Laguna where the two best riders in the world went head to head, Casey Stoner on a twin and Rossi on a four, there was nothing between them until Stoner went in too hot and fell off. There was no clear winner between the Ducati and the Yamaha, if you were looking at just the bikes alone (despite coming adrift Stoner is the better rider though). I myself prefer six cyclinder motorcycles as I owned a Honda CBX 1000 six for a number of years and absolutely loved it.

Likewise, with the ergs it's a matter of personal preference depending on what your looking for. If your just looking for a good physical workout on a cheap reliable erg then go for the grounded C2 erg. However, I'm more interested in maintaining/improving my OTW rowing technique. Sadly, the grounded C2 erg offers little in that area compared to the other options available.
PBs: 2K 6:13.4, 5K 16:32, 6K 19:55, 10K 33:49, 30min 8849m, 60min 17,309m
Caution: Static C2 ergs can ruin your technique and timing for rowing in a boat.
The best thing I ever did to improve my rowing was to sell my C2 and get a Rowperfect.

Rockin Roland
5k Poster

Post by Rockin Roland » July 28th, 2008, 6:37 pm

PaulS wrote:
If you have the opportunity sometime, try interval sessions switching from a grounded Erg and being on slides. While I agree that the Slides punish certain bad faults, there are other bad faults which they also forgive (and the grounded Erg punishes), making both useful tools for learning opportunities.

The last bit I just don't understand at all; having done some rowing on both the old and new model RP, I'm pretty sure that I prefer the older design (unless things are still changing on the new design) but fail to see how it is in any way superior to a C2 on slides (other than having a smaller footprint when setup or stored).

Anyway, I thought you were saving up for an OarTec or something, did that lose its lustre for some reason? :roll:
Paul,
I cannot see at all how the grounded erg punishes poor technique. We all agree that it punishes the body physically. However, from my own experiences it definetly encourages poor technique. It's so easy to just crank the handle and dump the finish on those things to cheat the flywheel into spinning a better result on the monitor. Try doing that with slides underneath and your in for a few surprises.

I've used both next to a large mirror at our club and had a good critical look at my technique. I can get much better compression of the body at the catch with the slides than what I can on the grounded erg. I can also achieve better body angles with slides which ultimately translates to more efficient technique when out on the water. I've seen people with terrible technique still achieve good times on a grounded erg that would perform poorly on anything else.

I was looking at the Oartech seriously but it's out of my price range. I phoned Rowperfect last week but their new model is in Germany under further developement. Obviously they want to make sure they have a far superior product to the C2 when it finally goes into production. The model you tried must of been in the earlier stages of developement if you think it's not much different to the old model. I guess you also have to protect your interests by supporting C2.
PBs: 2K 6:13.4, 5K 16:32, 6K 19:55, 10K 33:49, 30min 8849m, 60min 17,309m
Caution: Static C2 ergs can ruin your technique and timing for rowing in a boat.
The best thing I ever did to improve my rowing was to sell my C2 and get a Rowperfect.

Ducatista
2k Poster

Post by Ducatista » July 28th, 2008, 6:50 pm

Rockin Roland wrote:I myself prefer six cyclinder motorcycles as I owned a Honda CBX 1000 six for a number of years and absolutely loved it.
I've only ever had a twin and a triple. The Duc sounded better, but the Daytona goes better. B)

If I rowed OTW—which I probably should, since I live just a few blocks from the boathouse—I'd definitely suck it up and stick with the slides. But I ride instead of row in the summer, and I've had my Model C since 1994, and that's a lot of years of enjoyable habit to break.

Too bad about Stoner at Laguna. I've never been a Rossi fan, though I did think the helmet he was wearing earlier in the season, the one with his face on it, was pretty funny.

ancho
6k Poster

Post by ancho » July 29th, 2008, 4:02 am

Hi, Duc & RR!

Roland, long time no write, and smooth as always...
I loved your Honda, but have never had the oportunity to try one.
Have you ever had a go on a Benelli Sei?

Duc:
I'd keep the slides, and use them every now and again. It hasn't got to be all black or white, so a change won't do you any harm.
If you want to get rid of them, maybe you can forward them to me :wink:

If you live near a boathouse, you should give it a try otw, you sure
will be enjoying it! (at least after the first few sessions)

BTW, I think Rossi is the best ! B)
yr 1966, 1,87 m, 8? kg
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1201739576.png[/img]
Be Water, My Friend!

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » July 29th, 2008, 10:37 am

Rockin Roland wrote:
PaulS wrote:
If you have the opportunity sometime, try interval sessions switching from a grounded Erg and being on slides. While I agree that the Slides punish certain bad faults, there are other bad faults which they also forgive (and the grounded Erg punishes), making both useful tools for learning opportunities.

The last bit I just don't understand at all; having done some rowing on both the old and new model RP, I'm pretty sure that I prefer the older design (unless things are still changing on the new design) but fail to see how it is in any way superior to a C2 on slides (other than having a smaller footprint when setup or stored).

Anyway, I thought you were saving up for an OarTec or something, did that lose its lustre for some reason? :roll:
Paul,
I cannot see at all how the grounded erg punishes poor technique. We all agree that it punishes the body physically. However, from my own experiences it definetly encourages poor technique. It's so easy to just crank the handle and dump the finish on those things to cheat the flywheel into spinning a better result on the monitor. Try doing that with slides underneath and your in for a few surprises.
I never try to row poorly, on slides or otherwise, so no surprises. But more to the point of the punishment on the Grounded Erg: Rushing the recovery is punishing due to the large energy cost in reversing the bodies momentum at the catch, this is largely counteracted on Slides, hence the folks that commit that particular error perceive that slides are "easier".
Rockin Roland wrote: I've used both next to a large mirror at our club and had a good critical look at my technique. I can get much better compression of the body at the catch with the slides than what I can on the grounded erg. I can also achieve better body angles with slides which ultimately translates to more efficient technique when out on the water.
You must be one of the very few that can do this. Virtually every study I've seen shows less stroke length when the rower is put on slides or RP, for the simple reason is that they must pull themselves into the catch position rather than having a bit of momentum assistance. Body angles should not change much, as the geometry of the machine is not changed, is it?
Rockin Roland wrote:
I've seen people with terrible technique still achieve good times on a grounded erg that would perform poorly on anything else.
Of course this is true, it can still be reduced to yanking on a chain, but NONE of these folks are threatening WR level performances, due to the technical problems, along with the genuine difficulty of doing so in any case.
Rockin Roland wrote:
I was looking at the Oartech seriously but it's out of my price range. I phoned Rowperfect last week but their new model is in Germany under further developement. Obviously they want to make sure they have a far superior product to the C2 when it finally goes into production. The model you tried must of been in the earlier stages of developement if you think it's not much different to the old model. I guess you also have to protect your interests by supporting C2.
Think what you want, perhaps you have some vested interest in the RP. The new cage design that I saw would be just right for a CBreeze to be fitted, so my interests are served by both. (Plus, if there were neve another C2 sold, just getting a CBreeze on all of the existing machines would be fine with me.) :D

We even have a version of ErgMonitor that will work with the RP (at least the original). You're also wrong in saying that I think the new model is not much different than the old. I'm well aware of some of the differences, and having the seat travel restricted to a much shorter range is not an improvement, IMO. It will not allow for some of the very valuable feedback of the old design on how the body movements are interacting with the overall system. i.e. the COM migration along the old style rail, which was very informative, will be severely restricted. Perhaps this will be more "user friendly", but it's even less "boat like" than the original design. i.e. less difficult to use easily. A boat is even more difficult than the original, see how the trends all fit?

I think both machines are well done, and good pieces of kit, but you're extreme view of the differences must be driven by something other than objective evaluation. I'm curious as to what that might be. Care to tell me? :roll:
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » July 29th, 2008, 12:04 pm

Personally I've found the slides to be the same for short sprints, 2 to 3 seconds faster on pace for 1 minute reps, and up to 3 to 5s 500 faster for 2ks, i.e. the advantage increases the longer the distance. Arno and others go a full second faster on the slides for only 100 meters.

When people find the slides are slower, it's usually because they cut their stroke on the slides, and get a lower distance per stroke. But there should be no major change in the mechanics.

As to the RowPerfect, I looked into getting one at least 7 years ago and they are still not available.

I like the slides, a lot. They are much easier and provide a nice advantage in times. As others have said, they are more like rowing in a boat. I wish there was a seperate rankings for them, and then I would use them for time trials.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » July 29th, 2008, 6:41 pm

John Rupp wrote: I like the slides, a lot. They are much easier and provide a nice advantage in times. As others have said, they are more like rowing in a boat. I wish there was a seperate rankings for them, and then I would use them for time trials.
Wish Granted! :D

You simply mark the session as being done on Slides and it shows up in the description in the ranking. So it's time to break that Old HM PB, it should be a piece of cake given the "increased advantage with longer distances"* Even being 5 years older shouldn't be an issue, so let's see some results. Shouldn't even be much of a challenge so don't make excuses that you don't want to bother with taking the time to do it, it should be a productive exercise regardless.

*A complete fabrication by John that is not backed up by any scientific, controlled study involving the Slides Vs grounded Erg. (It would be great if he would stop spreading such misinformation, as I don't really care to be burdened with clarifying the facts, which will probably spawn some bad behavior on his part.)
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » July 29th, 2008, 7:07 pm

PaulS wrote: *A complete fabrication by John that is not backed up by any scientific, controlled study involving the Slides Vs grounded Erg...
Paul,
The operative phrase is at the start of Johns post: "Personally I've found the slides to be...".
What is so hard to believe that he rows slower without slides, either because he doesn't enjoy it as much or because of some technical fault that shows up without slides?

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » July 30th, 2008, 4:24 pm

Nosmo wrote:
PaulS wrote: *A complete fabrication by John that is not backed up by any scientific, controlled study involving the Slides Vs grounded Erg...
Paul,
The operative phrase is at the start of Johns post: "Personally I've found the slides to be...".
What is so hard to believe that he rows slower without slides, either because he doesn't enjoy it as much or because of some technical fault that shows up without slides?
Yes, I agree that his opinion is based on only personal experience, which by definition is extremely limited, yet by the second paragraph it is stated as if it were factual, and that is a gross misrepresentation of reality.

You are also insightful to wonder what kind of technical fault could exist that short distance sprints are the same, whereas the longer distances gain increasing advantage. This would be exactly the opposite of what is generally observed. i.e. Short intervals can be done at very high stroke rates, trading rate for pace, to yield a bit of an edge due to not having to shuttle the body back and forth quickly, but trading rate for pace has severe diminishing returns and will pretty much lose all benefit for events lasting beyond a few minutes, perhaps as long as a 2k but unlikely.

We actually know that Henrik Stephenson (WR holder LM) was about 1 second faster over 2k when on slides, giving a maximum performance, yet 1 second is a very narrow margin (0.028%) to attribute to the Slides, he likely could have produced the same performance off of them, and in fact did during the indoor rowing season.

But then again, those are only facts. B)
Erg on,
Paul Smith

Ducatista
2k Poster

Post by Ducatista » July 30th, 2008, 6:32 pm

ancho wrote:Duc: I'd keep the slides, and use them every now and again. It hasn't got to be all black or white, so a change won't do you any harm.
If you want to get rid of them, maybe you can forward them to me :wink:

If you live near a boathouse, you should give it a try otw, you sure will be enjoying it! (at least after the first few sessions)
Hallo, Ancho!

I'm not sure I've got the room for occasional-use slides, but I'm not getting rid of them yet.

I have rowed OTW—in fact, that's where I learned about the erg. Did a learn-to-row at the local club, subsequently nabbed a gold medal in the women's four at the Badger State Games, and then wandered off to try something new. I really enjoyed rowing, and I'm sure I would've gotten back into it eventually if it weren't for the bike. In Wisconsin, riding season and rowing season coincide almost exactly, and I just don't have room for both.

Rossi, schmossi.

B)

RogerR
1k Poster

Post by RogerR » September 19th, 2008, 7:13 pm

I have found going forth and back between slides and grounded erg helps to improve my technique on the grounded erg perhaps because I am just more aware of what I'm doing.

I also frequently use Xeno Mueller's workout DVD's and several of his workouts are easier to do on slides, eg. One Leg Rows.
Enjoy life, pull hard, no excuses

52 YO, 6'1", 168lbs

manos
Paddler

Post by manos » September 20th, 2008, 2:37 am

I love slides !!!
I have forget how it is without slides

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » September 23rd, 2008, 5:59 pm

I rowed on the slides yesterday and this morning.

It is natural to row without straps on the slides, as the bungees keep bringing the erg
and my body back together, versus on the erg the energy keeps going the other direction.

Likewise my force curve on the slides is automatically very smooth and full, probably
because of the balanced motion of the erg and my body moving in different directions.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » September 24th, 2008, 4:00 pm

I was rowing along in my warm up this morning, with the same form as yesterday.
However, the force curve was askew, so I focused more on my form, making sure
it was the same as the last couple of days on the slides.

Then I realized that I wasn't ON the slides today, and THIS was the reason for the force
curve profile difference. This is very interesting. Because of this and the reasons
mentioned yesterday, I'm planning to use the slides more and more as the weather gets
cooler.

The slides have a very nice motion and I highly recommend them.

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » September 24th, 2008, 4:46 pm

John,

Be careful with accepting the difference as being inherent in the Slides, it is very likely a technical error that is leading to the difference in force profile between the two situations and you should work back and forth to figure out how to correct the error that is being masked by the Slides. If you fix it on the grounded Erg your times on the grounded Erg will improve to the level where they are on the Slides.
Erg on,
Paul Smith