Team Row Pain, Row Gain

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] deppe4

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] deppe4 » November 14th, 2005, 9:45 am

I was just reviewing the itinerary of my Tibet Trip to do the North Face of Mt. Everest and thinking about not being able to breathe at 23,000 feet -- which of course motivates me to keep working on losing weight. I don't know if you have ever hiked above 18,000 feet but it is not a fun time -- for me anyway -- still it is a challenge.<br /><br />Mike,<br /><br />That's awesome - good luck on your journey! Stay safe, warm, and I'll bet at the end of Everest you'll have lost those extra 40lbs (you may even want to keep the extra around as a buffer ;-))<br /><br />I've not climbed mountains but have done extremely long hikes (65+ miles) in the backcountry. And no matter how well I tried to eat on these excursions- I still lost weight from the amount of energy/effort my body was generating.<br /><br />One piece of unsolicited advice - if you have started already, I'd start taking walks wearing your backpack with the average weight you expect to carry when at Everest to get your body used to the extra load, and it's great practise for figuring out the best way to load the contents for comfort.<br /><br />I'd really enjoy hearing about your climb once you've completed the adventure.<br /><br />Best of Luck,<br />deppe

[old] dhutchings

Post by [old] dhutchings » November 15th, 2005, 2:07 pm

Hi,<br /><br />I just joined RPRG, and look forward to being able to contribute some meters to the team. I got my Model D at the begining of the month after suffering a lumbar sprain from raking leaves and cleaning gutters last month. The Doc said I really needed to strengthen my core to prevent other injuries in the future. I picked the erg because I wanted something I could do at home after work, and it helps that it is not tall enough to hang clothes on like a treadmill. In the last two weeks I already feel more confident in my level of fitness, and I love watching the summary totals on the PM3 add up. My goal is to lose some weight and get back in shape. I'm 29, 5'10", 198. <br /><br />-Doug

[old] cnapier

Post by [old] cnapier » November 15th, 2005, 3:48 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-dhutchings+Nov 15 2005, 01:07 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dhutchings @ Nov 15 2005, 01:07 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi,<br /><br />I just joined RPRG, and look forward to being able to contribute some meters to the team. I got my Model D at the begining of the month after suffering a lumbar sprain from raking leaves and cleaning gutters last month. The Doc said I really needed to strengthen my core to prevent other injuries in the future. I picked the erg because I wanted something I could do at home after work, and it helps that it is not tall enough to hang clothes on like a treadmill. In the last two weeks I already feel more confident in my level of fitness, and I love watching the summary totals on the PM3 add up. My goal is to lose some weight and get back in shape. I'm 29, 5'10", 198. <br /><br />-Doug <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Welcome to the team Doug.<br /><br />Charles<br />254/198/158

[old] lowwall

Post by [old] lowwall » November 15th, 2005, 5:35 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Rate35+Nov 13 2005, 10:50 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Rate35 @ Nov 13 2005, 10:50 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I havent seen a doctor because I know he'll say the same thing as my parents are saying and thats that I m to thin and need to gain weight. I havent spoken to my coach yet about since we started on friday but the coach I had throughout the fall for club rowing said again its not right to be this tall and this thin.... I just have a fear when I m older I m going to have some problems from this. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />You already appear to know the answer to your question. But if you need to hear it from someone else...<br /><br />There is a definite possibility of problems later in life caused by undereating as a youth. The most common is osteoporosis, meaning you could be sentencing youself to decades of pain and limited activity later on in order to win a race today.<br />So don't be an idiot, see a doctor. Maybe you can find one that is an athlete or specializes in athletes so they will understand all the factors involved.

[old] Meri Goehring

Post by [old] Meri Goehring » November 15th, 2005, 6:45 pm

<br />I'd really enjoy hearing about your climb once you've completed the adventure.<br /><br />Best of Luck,<br />deppe <br />[/quote]<br />Hello group. Just back to rowing today-hip feels fine and I am well aware of the need for stretching! Mike, wow. I thought of you today as I tackled the stairmaster. If you can, send photos! <br />Meri<br />

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » November 17th, 2005, 7:35 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-deppe4+Nov 14 2005, 06:45 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(deppe4 @ Nov 14 2005, 06:45 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I was just reviewing the itinerary of my Tibet Trip to do the North Face of Mt. Everest and thinking about not being able to breathe at 23,000 feet -- which of course motivates me to keep working on losing weight. I don't know if you have ever hiked above 18,000 feet but it is not a fun time -- for me anyway -- still it is a challenge.<br /><br />Mike,<br /><br />That's awesome - good luck on your journey!  Stay safe, warm, and I'll bet at the end of Everest you'll have lost those extra 40lbs (you may even want to keep the extra around as a buffer ;-))<br /><br />I've not climbed mountains but have done extremely long hikes (65+ miles) in the backcountry.  And no matter how well I tried to eat on these excursions- I still lost weight from the amount of energy/effort my body was generating.<br /><br />One piece of unsolicited advice - if you have started already, I'd start taking walks wearing your backpack with the average weight you expect to carry when at Everest to get your body used to the extra load, and it's great practise for figuring out the best way to load the contents for comfort.<br /><br />I'd really enjoy hearing about your climb once you've completed the adventure.<br /><br />Best of Luck,<br />deppe <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Thanks for the advice Deppe. You are right about training with the backpack. Unfortunately, when I did the Ultimate Everest Trek in Dec '03 to Jan '04, I had not trained with a full pack thinking that if I used walking sticks on Everest it would make up for it -- WRONG. I was also about 60 pounds overweight but thought that it wouldn't matter -- WRONG. I also took a larger backpack than recommended, thinking that I might need more room for more things -- WRONG. I thought I was going to die on that trip on the South face of Mt. Everest climbing to the Nepal Basecamp (18,000 ft above sea level) and some other mountains, going over the Cho La, etc. I learned a lot from that trek. Now I want to do the North face (Tibet) of Mt. Everest (22,000 ft), so this is why I am rowing, hiking, and weight training, losing all the weight I can before I tackle Tibet. Now I only hike with a heavy backpack even though I don't need it -- of course, with Winter here, I will need the heavy backpack in case I get hurt (again) or need a warm dry set of clothes, etc. <br /><br />I did lose 20 pounds on the last trek in two weeks, but I was still over weight, so my plan is to go again only if I am at weight, which means losing another 20 pounds. <br /><br />Mike

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » November 17th, 2005, 7:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Rate35+Nov 13 2005, 08:50 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Rate35 @ Nov 13 2005, 08:50 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />At 16, your body is trying to tell you something: it wants to grow and add muscle; i.e., it wants to be healthy. You need to consult your coach and your family doctor.<br /><br />If you were 5 ft 8 in and weighed 135 that would be great, but at 6 ft 3 in, I'd say you are too thin. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />I know but the problem is if I go to say even 155lbs its going to be so much harder to win at CSSRA or even Stotesbury Cup Regatta where ltwt is 150lbs. For the summer I rowed in Senior 140lb as opposed to Junior B and I had to sweat off 3 pounds the morning for weigh in and it wasnt fun to say the least, everyone I saw that day said I looked more thin then usual. Its not that I have a huge problem of staying underweight its just if I gain weight I m gonna have a h*** of a time trying to get back down down 145lbs. I havent seen a doctor because I know he'll say the same thing as my parents are saying and thats that I m to thin and need to gain weight. I havent spoken to my coach yet about since we started on friday but the coach I had throughout the fall for club rowing said again its not right to be this tall and this thin. I ll eat as much as I want all the time and then I ll have my workout and I just lose it all. But if I dont workout then I start to gain weight, and I cant exactly say to my coach sorry I cant do your workout I need to gain weight. I just have a fear when I m older I m going to have some problems from this. <br /><br />Thing is though I also believe it to be some what geneitic, I have a 19 year old brother who just runs like 3 times a week and hes 5'9 130lbs, not as thin as me but still thin. We both eat whatever we want, as much and our weight doesnt change.<br /><br />Do you think this problem of not being able to control my weight is going to hurt me later on in life? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />So what you are thinking is that it is more important to row as a light weight even though it may harm you for the rest of your life, right? At your age, I do understand the logic. Basically, no one can tell you what to do; you are going to do what you want to do now, which is what we all did at your age (or at least I did).<br /><br />However, I recommend that you focus more on the positive than the negative. Your goal should be to maximize your natural assets and decide to row at your optimum weight and strength instead of trying to sneak in a win based on rowing at your least optimum weight and weakest strength. If you have to row as a heavy weight because you started eating correctly and putting on the muscle as you work on the erg and your on water routine, then you show your grit by winning at that weight. At some point, you have to cross the line between being a boy and being a man; you want to put off being a man longer by arguing that you want to stay a boy as a light weight while your body is saying it wants to be a heavy weight man. <br /><br />You know that if you cross that line and become the man you are supposed to be then you will have to push yourself to compete against bigger heavy weights. You are afraid that you can't do this, but the reality is that if you dig deep enough within yourself, you can compete successfully.<br /><br />Just my opinion, but go for it. Become as big and strong, lean and mean, as you can, and focus on winning. You can do it.<br /><br />Mike

[old] copywriter

Post by [old] copywriter » November 19th, 2005, 4:37 pm

Anybody else out there on the team actually rowing? Our daily totals don't seem to be growing that quickly. Ducks raced past us, and Oarsome are coming up our wake quite fast.

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » November 19th, 2005, 5:03 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-copywriter+Nov 19 2005, 01:37 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(copywriter @ Nov 19 2005, 01:37 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Anybody else out there on the team actually rowing? Our daily totals don't seem to be growing that quickly. Ducks raced past us, and Oarsome are coming up our wake quite fast. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Okay, I'm ready to rejoin the team to add back some meters. <br /><br />Mike

[old] tjod

Post by [old] tjod » November 19th, 2005, 5:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Nov 19 2005, 01:03 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Nov 19 2005, 01:03 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-copywriter+Nov 19 2005, 01:37 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(copywriter @ Nov 19 2005, 01:37 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Anybody else out there on the team actually rowing? Our daily totals don't seem to be growing that quickly. Ducks raced past us, and Oarsome are coming up our wake quite fast. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Okay, I'm ready to rejoin the team to add back some meters. <br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I just received my C2 yesterday. I've joined Row Pain, Row Gain and will be adding my small totals as I learn. <br /><br />tj

[old] Rate35

Post by [old] Rate35 » November 19th, 2005, 8:56 pm

[right] <br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />So what you are thinking is that it is more important to row as a light weight even though it may harm you for the rest of your life, right? At your age, I do understand the logic. Basically, no one can tell you what to do; you are going to do what you want to do now, which is what we all did at your age (or at least I did).<br /><br />However, I recommend that you focus more on the positive than the negative. Your goal should be to maximize your natural assets and decide to row at your optimum weight and strength instead of trying to sneak in a win based on rowing at your least optimum weight and weakest strength. If you have to row as a heavy weight because you started eating correctly and putting on the muscle as you work on the erg and your on water routine, then you show your grit by winning at that weight. At some point, you have to cross the line between being a boy and being a man; you want to put off being a man longer by arguing that you want to stay a boy as a light weight while your body is saying it wants to be a heavy weight man. <br /><br />You know that if you cross that line and become the man you are supposed to be then you will have to push yourself to compete against bigger heavy weights. You are afraid that you can't do this, but the reality is that if you dig deep enough within yourself, you can compete successfully.<br /><br />Just my opinion, but go for it. Become as big and strong, lean and mean, as you can, and focus on winning. You can do it.<br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />I m not afraid of moving up in the weight category, its more so that I see my competition in the ltwt category and I realize I can win against them because almost 95% are 5'8 or 5'7 and the same weight as me. The heavyweight guys, same height but the addition of weight. The way I see it I should enjoy being light as long as I can cause I dont know how it happens for me to be this but if I want to try and keep doing it as long as I can. I dont starve myself or dont have an eating disorder, and I dont concern myself with my weight unless I m close to a race and I mean whatever I put in me comes out of me, I try and eat more at my meals or even throughout the day and I feel sick almost, like I m gonna puke cause I m to full and I hate it when I get that feeling.

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » November 20th, 2005, 4:30 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Rate35+Nov 19 2005, 05:56 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Rate35 @ Nov 19 2005, 05:56 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />I m not afraid of moving up in the weight category, its more so that I see my competition in the ltwt category and I realize I can win against them because almost 95% are 5'8 or 5'7 and the same weight as me. The heavyweight guys, same height but the addition of weight. The way I see it I should enjoy being light as long as I can cause I dont know how it happens for me to be this but if I want to try and keep doing it as long as I can. I dont starve myself or dont have an eating disorder, and I dont concern myself with my weight unless I m close to a race and I mean whatever I put in me comes out of me, I try and eat more at my meals or even throughout the day and I feel sick almost, like I m gonna puke cause I m to full and I hate it when I get that feeling. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />That is good to hear actually. In that case, all you have to do is eat healthy and let the weight take care of itself. If you are eating correctly and staying thin, then that is that. Just don't starve yourself or try to lose water to make weight.<br /><br />Mike

[old] copywriter

Post by [old] copywriter » November 20th, 2005, 7:02 pm

Welcome back, Mike.

[old] tjod

Post by [old] tjod » November 21st, 2005, 1:07 am

I just received my C2 Friday. I've joined Row Pain, Row Gain and will be adding my small totals as I learn.<br /><br />tj<br />

[old] katbois

Post by [old] katbois » November 22nd, 2005, 8:16 pm

Welcome back Mike!<br /><br />I have missed your pic with the fish for the longest time.<br /><br />It's great to have you back and I wish you the best in your mountaineering abroad.<br /><br />Kudos to you in all that you do! My dream is to someday do the AT.<br /><br />Fondly,<br /><br />Mark