Team Row Pain, Row Gain

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] larsen67

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] larsen67 » October 19th, 2005, 5:24 pm

Today was my first day on the rower. Enjoyed it and then found the community on-line. Signed up for the team in hopes of staying motivated.<br /><br />Like some others, I am an ex-athlete (swimming, track and football in high school, and football in college) who could eat anything while so active, but forced inactivity (ankle injuries) packed on the pounds. (I'm now 6'3" 307 lbs.)<br /><br />I did 2 sets of 2500m today with 1 minute in between and went 11:35 and 11:15. (I may be overweight, but I still have the competitive fire of the athlete inside!).<br /><br />I hope to get to some of the staggering numbers that you guys have posted someday.<br /><br />Thanks for the inspiration and I hope I can contribute to the team!

[old] code_monkey

Post by [old] code_monkey » October 19th, 2005, 5:29 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-larsen67+Oct 19 2005, 01:24 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(larsen67 @ Oct 19 2005, 01:24 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Today was my first day on the rower.  Enjoyed it and then found the community on-line.  Signed up for the team in hopes of staying motivated.<br /><br />Like some others, I am an ex-athlete (swimming, track and football in high school, and football in college) who could eat anything while so active, but forced inactivity (ankle injuries) packed on the pounds. (I'm now 6'3" 307 lbs.)<br /><br />I did 2 sets of 2500m today with 1 minute in between and went 11:35 and 11:15. (I may be overweight, but I still have the competitive fire of the athlete inside!).<br /><br />I hope to get to some of the staggering numbers that you guys have posted someday.<br /><br />Thanks for the inspiration and I hope I can contribute to the team! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Welcome, larsen. Good to have you aboard...<br /><br />-jason

[old] Normsthename

Post by [old] Normsthename » October 20th, 2005, 5:03 am

Had an interesting time on the rower last night.<br />A friend came to my house to try my rower out, he had never been on a rower before, but he is super fit and rides bikes and runs sub 3 hour marathons...... etc<br />I was really surprised to see him struggling on the rower, and he could not generate anything like the power I could! <br />I was generating over 50% more power than he was, in his defence he is vertically challenged, and had never been on a rower before.<br />He was quite shocked to see himself getting beaten by this older fat bloke <br />It made my day!<br /><br />Andy

[old] deppe4

Post by [old] deppe4 » October 20th, 2005, 8:49 am

<!--QuoteBegin-pantstootight+Oct 19 2005, 03:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(pantstootight @ Oct 19 2005, 03:00 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-NurseBobbi+May 18 2005, 06:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NurseBobbi @ May 18 2005, 06:15 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:green'>Thanks to Specialt, we now have a virtual team for people who have taken up rowing in an effort to lose or maintain weight. I'm starting this new topic so that people coming into the forum section can find us easily.<br /><br />We're here to offer support and help each other achieve our goals. If you'd like to join the team, go to your online training log, choose Profile > Edit Profile and choose Row Pain, Row Gain from the pull down menu under the College/University Affiliation section.<br /><br />Feel free to introduce yourself, ask questions, share information about your latest workouts, etc.</span> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey Guys,<br /><br />I'm new to the C2 and to rowing for fitness. I'm an athlete, or used to be one until I had three kids in two years (boy and twin girls). Though it's nearly 20 years since I played college football and 8 since I ran a marathon (not really running, but I finished), I remember what it feels like to be strong, buff and fast.<br /><br />So, I need to lose 20 lbs by Thanksgiving (maybe 30 eventually, but I'm starting with 20). I'm committed to rowing and altering my diet (i.e. I will cut down on bad carbs and too many sweets, but I will not give up red wine). I figured on rowing for 30 mins four times a week (with one day doing something else--biking, running, etc.). I'm in my second week and I'm up to 24 mins with the damper set at 4 and I'm pulling about 5,200 m.<br /><br />I've got a heart monitor so I'm all set up for gear.<br /><br />Any suggestions?<br /><br />You guys all seem to do an hour. Not sure I can commit to that with my schedule, but your inputs are very welcome.<br /><br />Neil <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Neil,<br /><br />The C2 Training Manual (which you can find on the website) suggests "If weight loss is your goal, then consistency and duration of your workouts will be very important." The C2 suggested durations are 30-50mins, and also lists some different workouts (see p.11 of the Training Manual).<br /><br />My average time spent on the rower is 35mins, but I want to increase to 40mins. <br /><br />Mike also posted an excellent link worth checking out about weight loss. To loose 1lbs you need to burn and/or not consume 3500 calories during a one week period. So keep that in mind as you set your workout goals and your caloric intake value. The typical number you hear is to reduce your caloric intake to 1500 calories, but the article does a much better job of helping you calculate what you should set that number at.<br /><br />-deppe4

[old] deppe4

Post by [old] deppe4 » October 20th, 2005, 8:55 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Bostonwnb+Oct 19 2005, 03:31 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bostonwnb @ Oct 19 2005, 03:31 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi there <br /><br />I'm new here although I have had a Model C for about 3 years now.  <br /><br />Need to run to get some batteries for the Model C display unit (one of the crappy old-fashioned ones, maybe I can upgrade?) - so see you back here soon.  <br /><br />Later.<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />Bert <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Welcome Bert <br /><br />I do believe you can upgrade to a PM3, I'd call the 1-800 number and ask for certain though.<br /><br />-deppe4

[old] pantstootight

Post by [old] pantstootight » October 20th, 2005, 10:58 am

<!--QuoteBegin-deppe4+Oct 20 2005, 08:49 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(deppe4 @ Oct 20 2005, 08:49 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-pantstootight+Oct 19 2005, 03:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(pantstootight @ Oct 19 2005, 03:00 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-NurseBobbi+May 18 2005, 06:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NurseBobbi @ May 18 2005, 06:15 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:green'>Thanks to Specialt, we now have a virtual team for people who have taken up rowing in an effort to lose or maintain weight. I'm starting this new topic so that people coming into the forum section can find us easily.<br /><br />We're here to offer support and help each other achieve our goals. If you'd like to join the team, go to your online training log, choose Profile > Edit Profile and choose Row Pain, Row Gain from the pull down menu under the College/University Affiliation section.<br /><br />Feel free to introduce yourself, ask questions, share information about your latest workouts, etc.</span> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey Guys,<br /><br />I'm new to the C2 and to rowing for fitness. I'm an athlete, or used to be one until I had three kids in two years (boy and twin girls). Though it's nearly 20 years since I played college football and 8 since I ran a marathon (not really running, but I finished), I remember what it feels like to be strong, buff and fast.<br /><br />So, I need to lose 20 lbs by Thanksgiving (maybe 30 eventually, but I'm starting with 20). I'm committed to rowing and altering my diet (i.e. I will cut down on bad carbs and too many sweets, but I will not give up red wine). I figured on rowing for 30 mins four times a week (with one day doing something else--biking, running, etc.). I'm in my second week and I'm up to 24 mins with the damper set at 4 and I'm pulling about 5,200 m.<br /><br />I've got a heart monitor so I'm all set up for gear.<br /><br />Any suggestions?<br /><br />You guys all seem to do an hour. Not sure I can commit to that with my schedule, but your inputs are very welcome.<br /><br />Neil <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Neil,<br /><br />The C2 Training Manual (which you can find on the website) suggests "If weight loss is your goal, then consistency and duration of your workouts will be very important." The C2 suggested durations are 30-50mins, and also lists some different workouts (see p.11 of the Training Manual).<br /><br />My average time spent on the rower is 35mins, but I want to increase to 40mins. <br /><br />Mike also posted an excellent link worth checking out about weight loss. To loose 1lbs you need to burn and/or not consume 3500 calories during a one week period. So keep that in mind as you set your workout goals and your caloric intake value. The typical number you hear is to reduce your caloric intake to 1500 calories, but the article does a much better job of helping you calculate what you should set that number at.<br /><br />-deppe4 <br /> </td></tr></table><br />deppe4,<br />Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check it out. Right now I'm adding about 2 mins per workout with the eventual goal of getting to 40 mins and then doing other workouts.

[old] sloro7

Post by [old] sloro7 » October 20th, 2005, 8:46 pm

Hello Everyone,<br />Just a short note to say "I'm back." I've been sick for about a week but was finally able to get back on the erg today for a 5K. Once I feel up to it I'll bump it back up to between 7 and 10K. It's time to move up a spot in the rankings.

[old] rowmantic

Post by [old] rowmantic » October 24th, 2005, 11:42 am

Hi Everyone,<br /> Welcome to all our new members! I have just returned from Boston and the Head of the Charles Regatta. Never thought that I would have a good argument for using the erg versus rowing on the water. However, as the weather was a little chilly, rainy in Boston and the waves were crashing in the boat at the start of the race.....I can see an argument for spending more time on the erg. You never need to bail out water from an erg. You don't have waves of water crashing over you on an erg. You won't hit any buoys on an erg. Will it rain on you on the erg? Only if you keep it outside. I look forward to hopping on my erg later today in the warmth of my living room. All kidding aside, you can't really equate the thrill of a Head Race in an 8 with an erg, but I enjoyed the complaining. <br />~Grace

[old] deppe4

Post by [old] deppe4 » October 24th, 2005, 12:46 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rowmantic+Oct 24 2005, 10:42 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rowmantic @ Oct 24 2005, 10:42 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->All kidding aside, you can't really equate the thrill of a Head Race in an 8 with an erg, but I enjoyed the complaining.  <br />~Grace <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Sometimes, it's the stories you have afterwards that make the "complaints" worth enduring <br /><br />Hopefully the buoys survived <br /><br />-deppe

[old] Meri Goehring

Post by [old] Meri Goehring » October 25th, 2005, 5:17 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rowmantic+Oct 24 2005, 10:42 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rowmantic @ Oct 24 2005, 10:42 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Everyone,<br />    Welcome to all our new members!  I have just returned from Boston and the Head of the Charles Regatta.  Never thought that I would have a good argument for using the erg versus rowing on the water.  However, as the weather was a little chilly, rainy in Boston and the waves were crashing in the boat at the start of the race.....I can see an argument for spending more time on the erg.  You never need to bail out water from an erg.  You don't have waves of water crashing over you on an erg.  You won't hit any buoys on an erg.  Will it rain on you on the erg?  Only if you keep it outside.      I look forward to hopping on my erg later today in the warmth of my living room.  All kidding aside, you can't really equate the thrill of a Head Race in an 8 with an erg, but I enjoyed the complaining.  <br />~Grace <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Wow. I'm quite envious-I can only imagine how exciting it must be to speed along the water with 8 other rowers! Also, welcome to new members. I've found this group to provide a wealth of information and support. Thanks to all.<br />Meri<br />

[old] tahoeguy29

Post by [old] tahoeguy29 » October 25th, 2005, 10:06 pm

Ok, another new member and now that I'm paying attention to times, spm and my total meters, I now know I know almost nothing!<br /><br />I'm enjoying logging my meters and moving up the "deapth" chart but find I really need to work on my technique.<br /><br />When I am looking at times that people are recording, I'm shocked. I'm not in bad shape 185# 5'11, and thought I was moving pretty good at 5000 for 25.22.4.<br />Guess what, I'm in the bottom 94%.<br />How did you all start moving those times down? <br /><br />Dale

[old] code_monkey

Post by [old] code_monkey » October 26th, 2005, 10:36 am

<!--QuoteBegin-tahoeguy29+Oct 25 2005, 06:06 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(tahoeguy29 @ Oct 25 2005, 06:06 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ok, another new member and now that I'm paying attention to times, spm and my total meters,  I now know I know almost nothing!<br /><br />I'm enjoying logging my meters and moving up the "deapth" chart but find I really need to work on my technique.<br /><br />When I am looking at times that people are recording, I'm shocked. I'm not in bad shape 185# 5'11, and thought I was moving pretty good at 5000 for 25.22.4.<br />Guess what, I'm in the bottom 94%.<br />How did you all start moving those times down? <br /><br />Dale <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Welcome aboard, Dale.<br />For reference, I'm 199.5# at 6'0. My times are not all that fast. My best 5000 meter time is 22:14.4, putting me at 85%. That's a 2:13.44/500 m split time, but when I first started rowing at the end of April I was rowing slower than 2:30/500 m. After a month I tried my first ranked 5000 meter row and managed a 23:49.2 (2:22.9/500 m) and felt I would never get any faster because that was plenty difficult for me.<br />So, just given some time and good technique (not so sure I have that yet) the times should come down for you.<br />I'm not exactly sure on what the proper technique is, but I think I'm close. There has been mention of it in these threads, and I've seen several comments on rowing strapless to help perfect the technique.<br /><br />How long have you been rowing now?<br /><br />-jason<br />

[old] Bostonwnb

Post by [old] Bostonwnb » October 26th, 2005, 11:07 am

Looks like adding some rowing to the exercise mix is starting to help. Since I've been doing 20 minutes erging here and there over the last 10 days (in addition to about 60 miles running total) I've dropped 2 lbs, now down to 173 from 175. Up until 10 days ago, I was going in the other direction...<br /><br />Have also gotten back to steelcut oats & non-fat milk for breakfast, healthier snacks (fruit, yoghurt, brown rice, etc), some fish, more vegetables. And most importantly, a lot less chocolate, sodas, greasy junkfood, Chinese take-outs, pizza and of course, ice cream.<br /><br />2 down, 13 to go.<br /><br />Goal weight is 160 by Jan 15 2006 (Houston Marathon)<br /><br />Happy erging, all!<br /><br />Bert

[old] lowwall

Post by [old] lowwall » October 26th, 2005, 6:34 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-tahoeguy29+Oct 25 2005, 09:06 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(tahoeguy29 @ Oct 25 2005, 09:06 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->When I am looking at times that people are recording, I'm shocked. I'm not in bad shape 185# 5'11, and thought I was moving pretty good at 5000 for 25.22.4.<br />Guess what, I'm in the bottom 94%.<br />How did you all start moving those times down? </td></tr></table><br /><br />Just keep rowing. It takes a while to build up rowing specific muscles. It took me around 9 months and 2.5 million meters before I got my first top 50% ranking (a 23:37 6k - 1:58.1 pace). My best ranking (top 12% for 8080 meter, 30 min row - 1:51.4 pace) came two years and some 6 million meters later. <br /><br />Also, remember that casual ergers are not entering the rankings. So those 94% mostly consists of hard core ergers and team rowers. Right now, you'd beat most people who just sat down on an erg at the gym and started rowing.

[old] Meri Goehring

Post by [old] Meri Goehring » October 26th, 2005, 7:01 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-lowwall+Oct 26 2005, 05:34 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(lowwall @ Oct 26 2005, 05:34 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-tahoeguy29+Oct 25 2005, 09:06 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(tahoeguy29 @ Oct 25 2005, 09:06 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->When I am looking at times that people are recording, I'm shocked. I'm not in bad shape 185# 5'11, and thought I was moving pretty good at 5000 for 25.22.4.<br />Guess what, I'm in the bottom 94%.<br />How did you all start moving those times down? </td></tr></table><br /><br />Just keep rowing. It takes a while to build up rowing specific muscles. It took me around 9 months and 2.5 million meters before I got my first top 50% ranking (a 23:37 6k - 1:58.1 pace). My best ranking (top 12% for 8080 meter, 30 min row - 1:51.4 pace) came two years and some 6 million meters later. <br /><br />Also, remember that casual ergers are not entering the rankings. So those 94% mostly consists of hard core ergers and team rowers. Right now, you'd beat most people who just sat down on an erg at the gym and started rowing. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Funny, I seem to have just the opposite problem, tahoeguy. As a new rower since June, I find I rank high for my age and weight, probably because I am tall and heavy, and there are not very many women in my age group (I am 51.) It was encouraging at first. Now it seems I have to work REALLY hard to maintain/or decrease my time by what seem to be inconsequential increments-10 seconds can be torture! So, I've decided not to worry about speed; my goal is weight loss. Concentrating on speed is too frustrating and I don't want to suffer with back problems others have reported. Now that the callouses are mature, I'm working on distance. Maybe someday I'll try for speed again. Lowwal, it sounds as if I should wait and let the form develop. Now if I could only stop aging! Thanks for the suggestions. <br />Meri