Team Row Pain, Row Gain

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] RockinRobin

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] RockinRobin » September 2nd, 2005, 9:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Zot+Sep 2 2005, 12:03 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zot @ Sep 2 2005, 12:03 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Robin,<br /><br /><br />I'll be gentle as I pass :-).  It's all for the team!<br /><br />Zot <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I appreciate that...but have I ever told you how much I hate being last <br />Tehe...Go Team Go!<br /><br />Hey it looks like at least we got Jason off the couch!

[old] Zot

Post by [old] Zot » September 2nd, 2005, 10:55 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-RockinRobin+Sep 2 2005, 06:31 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(RockinRobin @ Sep 2 2005, 06:31 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Zot+Sep 2 2005, 12:03 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zot @ Sep 2 2005, 12:03 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Robin,<br /><br /><br />I'll be gentle as I pass :-).  It's all for the team!<br /><br />Zot <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I appreciate that...but have I ever told you how much I hate being last <br />Tehe...Go Team Go!<br /><br />Hey it looks like at least we got Jason off the couch! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />nice work you two! I've got some rowing to do!<br /><br />:-)<br /><br />Zot<br /><br />btw - THE LAST SHALL BE FIRST, AND THE FIRST SHALL BE BEWILDERED :-)<br />G'night, all!<br />

[old] Zot

Post by [old] Zot » September 3rd, 2005, 12:58 am

<!--QuoteBegin-rowmantic+Sep 2 2005, 01:40 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rowmantic @ Sep 2 2005, 01:40 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi All,<br />    Just got off my erg.  I decided my "lack" of weight loss needed a boast so I have started walking every day with a friend as a warm-up to my erg.  It has taken 2 weeks, but the scale is finally starting to budge in the right direction.<br />  Zot, I can completely relate to not being able to walk up the stairs without feeling like dying.  It was what finally got my attention in 2000.  I had to sit down after walking up the stairs in my home as I was quite winded. My resting heart rate was in the 80s.  I figured one day my sons would have to tell their friends that their mom had died from being overweight and out of shape.  I already owned a rowing machine albeit a B model from my college days.  I went to the basement and dusted it off; oiled it and began to erg.  A few minutes a day was all that I could handle at that point.  I joined Weight Watchers and lost 50 pounds.  It truly is possible to change.  My resting heart rate is in the 40s now and I can easily run up stairs.  Every meter on the rowing machine is a meter in the right direction. <br />  Charles, hope you are well enough to get back on the erg soon.  I know how discouraging it can be to have a set back, but you have come so far and can go so much further.<br />    Welcome to the group Bill.<br />    Love watching all of you in the "350" club.  What great training for the Holiday Challenge in December. <br />~Grace <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi Grace!<br /><br />Kudos! low 40's is fantastic! I'm at around 53 resting rate myself so I truly can appreciate your how hard you worked to get this far. I agree, there is no such thing as a wasted meter - I count every one of them too! <br /><br /> I'm glad for you that you found the courage to start back up again. There have been times in my life when I've stopped for whatever reason, and it's so easy to just give up for 'one more day'. And you found a friend to motivate and encourage you daily - that's 1/2 the battle. keep up the good work!<br /><br />Z

[old] RockinRobin

Post by [old] RockinRobin » September 3rd, 2005, 8:01 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Zot+Sep 1 2005, 07:47 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zot @ Sep 1 2005, 07:47 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-fornelli+Sep 1 2005, 07:40 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(fornelli @ Sep 1 2005, 07:40 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Robin, congratulations on reaching 300,000 meters. Looks like I'd better get off the couch and jump back on my erg and put in some meters so I can try to hold you off for another week or so. <grin><br />Tell you what, let's race to 350K. (I think I need this headstart since my rowing has been so erratic...) Perhaps motiviation for both of us... Zoli will probably beat the both of us though.<br />Jim took off and I don't think I have any chance at catching him now... (Way to row, Jim...)<br /><br />Again, congrats.<br /><br /><br />-jason <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Congratulations from me too! I can appreciate the work you went through to reach your goal.<br /><br /><br /><br />Hi Jason - While I erg for the self challenge of beating my old numbers and seeing how far I can overcome my mental limitations, I'm up for a little competition too! I'm OK with seeing who gets to 350. Though I must warn you - I"m getting to like those 1/2 marathons, so if I need to spot you any meters, let me know. I don't want to take unfair advantage, after all! :-)<br /><br />Happy rowing!<br /><br />Zot (AKA Zoli) <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Warning: Beware the Turtle! Sorry boys, I kinda like the number 350 <br />Zot, you definately gave me a run for my money! I can't believe we sneaked by Jason while he was back snoozin on his couch <grin> <br /><br />"To begin a journey one must have courage; to finish a journey one must have perseverance."<br /><br />Anybody up for 400???<br />

[old] Zot

Post by [old] Zot » September 3rd, 2005, 9:13 am

<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Warning: Beware the Turtle! Sorry boys, I kinda like the number 350 <br />Zot, you definately gave me a run for my money! I can't believe we sneaked by Jason while he was back snoozin on his couch <grin> <br /><br />"To begin a journey one must have courage; to finish a journey one must have perseverance."<br /><br />Anybody up for 400??? <br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />Why not! :-)

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » September 3rd, 2005, 2:28 pm

I've set two personal bests in the last 8 days - <br /><br />60 minutes - 13950 - which I never could have done without the advice of going strapless, slowing down to a 18-22 spm which provided for greater leg thrust - THANKS! <br /><br />Today I wasn't feeling particularly energetic, so I did a 2000m warm-up and then did 500 meters in 1:36.2.... cutting over 13 secs off my best from last December. <br /><br />I plan on working my way on up through the ranked challenges to set new personal bests from bottom to top... a full marathon will be my capstone event... sometime prior to the end of September. <br /><br />I really can not give this team and forum enough praise and credit. On my own I've had a few decent periods of regular workouts... but nothing in comparison to what I've accomplished over the past 2 months with the encouragement and motivation provided by others who row so much... <br /><br />THANKS! <br />Jim S <br /> <br />

[old] katbois

Post by [old] katbois » September 3rd, 2005, 4:56 pm

Been out for almost a week with "tennis" elbow. Apropos with the US Open taking place as I type! Got a cortisone shot on Tuesday and met with a LMT on Friday. I'm jonesing to do 7600 to get to my first million, so wish me luck. May try to hit the gym and erg my way to glory on Monday since it's a holiday.<br /><br />Welcome to all new team members, it's great to have you join RPRG.<br /><br />Mark

[old] Zot

Post by [old] Zot » September 3rd, 2005, 11:14 pm

My hat's off to Jason, for encouraging me to pull a little harder and get a few extra meters in. And a public and very warm hearted CONGRATULATIONS to Robin, for surging ahead and showing us how it's done :-) You got me close to 350 sooner than I expected (and maybe I'll cross over tomorrow!)<br /><br />Nice job you two!<br /><br /> <br /><br />Z

[old] code_monkey

Post by [old] code_monkey » September 3rd, 2005, 11:40 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Zot+Sep 3 2005, 07:14 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zot @ Sep 3 2005, 07:14 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My hat's off to Jason, for encouraging me to pull a little harder and get a few extra meters in.  And a public and very warm hearted CONGRATULATIONS to Robin, for surging ahead and showing us how it's done :-)  You got me close to 350 sooner than I expected (and maybe I'll cross over tomorrow!)<br /><br />Nice job you two!<br /><br /> <br /><br />Z <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey now!!! What happened?<br />I take one day off to do some outdoor activities and I've been beat. That can't look good for me since I started with more meters than both of you, but looks good for both of you.<br />That'll teach me to open my big fat mouth...<grin><br />Way to go you guys. I'm glad I was able to help motivate each of us a little more. I'll be taking another day or two off as I'm doing some more hiking this weekend.<br />I'm not likely to go for 400K with y'all, but I won't be too far behind. Keep it up!!!<br /><br />-jason

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » September 4th, 2005, 5:48 pm

<br /><br />Seth McLaughlin & Ken Munn - I'm coming after you two... I hope one or both of you will keep rowing... cause it is quite a gap up to catch up to the next person on the list.... <br /><br />Jim S.

[old] Zot

Post by [old] Zot » September 5th, 2005, 12:56 am

[quote=Zot,Sep 3 2005, 06:13 AM] <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Warning: Beware the Turtle! Sorry boys, I kinda like the number 350 <br />Zot, you definately gave me a run for my money! I can't believe we sneaked by Jason while he was back snoozin on his couch <grin> <br /><br />"To begin a journey one must have courage; to finish a journey one must have perseverance."<br /><br />Anybody up for 400??? <br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br /><br />Well Robin and Jason - I made it a day late and a dollar short, as they say. But I crossed the finish line. 400K - here we come!<br /><br />:-)<br /><br />Z

[old] stuartg

Post by [old] stuartg » September 5th, 2005, 8:39 am

Hi All<br />It is great to see our place in total metres rowed. Our ranking on average metres per rower is currently 104. To maintain this average every member need only row just over 2500m per day. That's not really that much. So consider this: if you row 2500m per day you help maintain the average. If you row more, you are improving the average. So in a small way you don't have to row a marathon to help make a difference. <br />Cheers<br />Stu<br />

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » September 5th, 2005, 12:11 pm

I think our brethern across the pond decided to take advantage of our long labor day weekend push us back down into 5th place in the standings... hopefully RPRG will get back from the holiday with a few extra pounds to row off and a renewed zeal for putting the WelshIrishScot team back in their place!<br /><br />I've discovered an approach that helps me row a little longer than I might otherwise... it is a bit OCD... but I like to row until either the total of my year to date or over-all log are over the next 10K mark... <br /><br />I like to row no less than 5K at a time... and find that my back won't typically allow me to go much beyond 13K... so most my workouts are somewhere between 8 and 12K depending on the time, my energy, and the pain/spasms in my lower back (I've taken to standing up ever 4k or so to stretch... does seem to help a bit, I'm due to see my Chiropractor... it has been nearly a month). <br /><br />Another thing is to check out all the different stats available on the logbook webpage... I'm shooting for a 250K+ month in September... <br /><br />Anyone else have similar little "games" you play to keep you on the rower and keeping the meters logging on? <br /><br />Jim S.

[old] Normsthename

Post by [old] Normsthename » September 5th, 2005, 6:48 pm

Just clocked up my first ever 100,000 metres! <br />Done it in my first month of rowing <br />Half of that was done when I was really,really unfit, when I could'nt do a lot of work. Now I can row a little longer I hope to increase the next months quota!<br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think our brethern across the pond decided to take advantage of our long labor day weekend push us back down into 5th place in the standings... </td></tr></table><br />O.K All of you over the pond, holiday over, now back to work!! <br /><br />Andy<br />

[old] RockinRobin

Post by [old] RockinRobin » September 5th, 2005, 7:13 pm

Well Robin and Jason - I made it a day late and a dollar short, as they say. But I crossed the finish line. 400K - here we come!<br /><br />:-)<br /><br />Z<br /><br />************************************************************<br /><br />Good Job, Zot! Progress of any sort is always good! And Jason glad you got back on to row today too!<br /><br />I'm going to start rowing Tuesday, but certainly won't be able to do any where near the type of meters I tried over the weekend, lol. (so if you want a head start here is your chance or a rest day if you need it).<br /><br />That was a good trial for me to see what kind of training I need to do to work up to a marathon. And I'm definately not ready for that any time soon. I hit the wall right before 30K even with 15 - 30 minute rests between rows.<br /><br />Anybody have any extra tips on improving endurance? I have read the UK site training schedules for marathon, but if anyone else has any extra rowing tips, I'd enjoy reading them.<br /><br />Go Team Go - What one thing can you do today that gets you one step closer to your goal, or at least to the next rower in front of you <br /><br /><span style='color:red'><<<<Terriffic Job Norm!!! 100K>>></span><br /><br /><br /><<<<JimJayhawk - I have to pre-enter how many meters I am going to row, because if I "JUST ROW", I won't. So I definately have to have some sort of goal, or I wuss out from non-commitment>>>>