Team Row Pain, Row Gain

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] artmom5

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] artmom5 » August 30th, 2005, 2:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Zot+Aug 30 2005, 01:58 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zot @ Aug 30 2005, 01:58 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi,<br /><br />I'm new to the crew, but glad to be part of a team! I've just started rowing about 3 weeks ago (8/6/05), and have already logged over 270K meters - completed my first marathon last saturday.<br /><br />I started my weight loss journey on 11/18/2005 at 312 lbs.  I'm now down to 255 (I hit 252 a week ago, not sure why I gained weight!).  I have fallen in love with rowing.  My wife, 2 sons and my daughter are all rowing too! If I can't do at least a 10K a day, I feel like I'm missing something.  My pace isn't all that great yet, but I guess that will come over time.<br /><br />My HR regularly hits high 140s to low 160's during a sustained row - I don't like going slower - but at the age of 49 the target zone for weight loss feels like I am crawling!  Since I LIKE to push, going slow doesn't motivate me - but I am after weight loss and need to lose at least another 40-50 pounds.  Should I change my workout, or just "damn the heartrate, full speed ahead!" (My apologies to Admiral David Farragut)<br />Thanks,<br />Zot <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Welcome Aboard David! <br />Wow another rower for our leaders waayyy up in the standings! <br />I am in the same boat, I read in one of the forums to try a power 10 or 20 (10-20 strokes as fast meaning time not necessarily stroke number every 5 minutes or every 500 meters to keep cardio in shock and then your still able to maintain the long rows. You can mix up the intervals whatever you feel comfortable. It definitely pushes you and after that I have to struggle to keep my normal pace time.<br />Good luck, but from looking at your meters gained and weight loss I think I should be taking advice from YOU!<br />Mary<br /><br /><br />

[old] RockinRobin

Post by [old] RockinRobin » August 31st, 2005, 9:35 pm

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wow 5th Place - Go Team Go!!!</span></span>

[old] code_monkey

Post by [old] code_monkey » September 1st, 2005, 10:40 am

Robin, congratulations on reaching 300,000 meters. Looks like I'd better get off the couch and jump back on my erg and put in some meters so I can try to hold you off for another week or so. <grin><br />Tell you what, let's race to 350K. (I think I need this headstart since my rowing has been so erratic...) Perhaps motiviation for both of us... Zoli will probably beat the both of us though.<br />Jim took off and I don't think I have any chance at catching him now... (Way to row, Jim...)<br /><br />Again, congrats.<br /><br /><br />-jason

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » September 1st, 2005, 2:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-fornelli+Sep 1 2005, 10:40 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(fornelli @ Sep 1 2005, 10:40 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Robin, congratulations on reaching 300,000 meters. Looks like I'd better get off the couch and jump back on my erg and put in some meters so I can try to hold you off for another week or so. <grin><br />Tell you what, let's race to 350K. (I think I need this headstart since my rowing has been so erratic...) Perhaps motiviation for both of us... Zoli will probably beat the both of us though.<br />Jim took off and I don't think I have any chance at catching him now... (Way to row, Jim...)<br /><br />Again, congrats.<br /><br /><br />-jason <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Congrats Robin on 300K <br />Don't listen to that BOY-Jason, stay back here with me...I could probably catch you if you don't row this weekend! LOL . Just the thought of repeating the 1/2 marathon that you did makes me sweat. Sorry, I don't want to push myself that hard YET. Once every 6 months is more than enough for me.<br />Good Luck at catching Jason, while I try to catch up to YOU! <br />mary<br />(If you want to paddle around with the other youngsters, who am I to talk, but when you're sore and tired: you'll see me coming up behind you and I will trying my *#@*est to pass you by!)

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » September 1st, 2005, 3:03 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Aug 29 2005, 08:28 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Aug 29 2005, 08:28 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Finally! Today I weighed in at 200, which means since May 1st, I've lost 13 pounds. Hopefully, by next week, I'll be under 200. Yippee.<br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Congrats Mike<br /> <br />That is a HUGE accomplishment...not to see that first number 2! Great job! All your time in is paying back, it's great to know the rowing works. <br />Mary

[old] Zot

Post by [old] Zot » September 1st, 2005, 8:47 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-fornelli+Sep 1 2005, 07:40 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(fornelli @ Sep 1 2005, 07:40 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Robin, congratulations on reaching 300,000 meters. Looks like I'd better get off the couch and jump back on my erg and put in some meters so I can try to hold you off for another week or so. <grin><br />Tell you what, let's race to 350K. (I think I need this headstart since my rowing has been so erratic...) Perhaps motiviation for both of us... Zoli will probably beat the both of us though.<br />Jim took off and I don't think I have any chance at catching him now... (Way to row, Jim...)<br /><br />Again, congrats.<br /><br /><br />-jason <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Congratulations from me too! I can appreciate the work you went through to reach your goal.<br /><br />Hi Jason - While I erg for the self challenge of beating my old numbers and seeing how far I can overcome my mental limitations, I'm up for a little competition too! I'm OK with seeing who gets to 350. Though I must warn you - I"m getting to like those 1/2 marathons, so if I need to spot you any meters, let me know. I don't want to take unfair advantage, after all! :-)<br /><br />Happy rowing!<br /><br />Zot (AKA Zoli)

[old] RockinRobin

Post by [old] RockinRobin » September 1st, 2005, 10:16 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-artmom5+Sep 1 2005, 01:58 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(artmom5 @ Sep 1 2005, 01:58 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-fornelli+Sep 1 2005, 10:40 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(fornelli @ Sep 1 2005, 10:40 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Robin, congratulations on reaching 300,000 meters. Looks like I'd better get off the couch and jump back on my erg and put in some meters so I can try to hold you off for another week or so. <grin><br />Tell you what, let's race to 350K. (I think I need this headstart since my rowing has been so erratic...) Perhaps motiviation for both of us... Zoli will probably beat the both of us though.<br />Jim took off and I don't think I have any chance at catching him now... (Way to row, Jim...)<br /><br />Again, congrats.<br /><br /><br />-jason <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Congrats Robin on 300K <br />Don't listen to that BOY-Jason, stay back here with me...I could probably catch you if you don't row this weekend! LOL . Just the thought of repeating the 1/2 marathon that you did makes me sweat. Sorry, I don't want to push myself that hard YET. Once every 6 months is more than enough for me.<br />Good Luck at catching Jason, while I try to catch up to YOU! <br />mary<br />(If you want to paddle around with the other youngsters, who am I to talk, but when you're sore and tired: you'll see me coming up behind you and I will trying my *#@*est to pass you by!) <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey Jason, I'm all for racing to 350k! You better get off the couch, you don't want an old lady passin' ya by Zot, Just don't swamp my boat as you blast past. Maybe I can get my partner Mary to tie on to you and catch a ride, and maybe slow you down a little! Yeah....it's all about team work right??? <br /><br />As for the 1/2 marathons, I'm starting to like them too, but I was thinking more like once a month.

[old] bdvorak

Post by [old] bdvorak » September 1st, 2005, 10:55 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-NurseBobbi+May 18 2005, 05:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NurseBobbi @ May 18 2005, 05:15 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:green'>Thanks to Specialt, we now have a virtual team for people who have taken up rowing in an effort to lose or maintain weight. I'm starting this new topic so that people coming into the forum section can find us easily.<br /><br />We're here to offer support and help each other achieve our goals. If you'd like to join the team, go to your online training log, choose Profile > Edit Profile and choose Row Pain, Row Gain from the pull down menu under the College/University Affiliation section.<br /><br />Feel free to introduce yourself, ask questions, share information about your latest workouts, etc.</span> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I've been lurking since July and have waited until I hit the 500K mark to join in the team. I've been rowing consistently for 13 weeks, six days a week. Am now doing 40 minutes a day in the morning. I've had my rower for several years but it was mainly a clothes rack. Had been going to a fitness club for about two years but was only getting there 2-3 times a week. After reading countless articles on the need for daily exercise, I decided to give rowing a try again. Have worked up to daily 9K's in the 40 minute time frame. Hoping to get the distance to 10K's in 40 minutes but have been struggling to get my 500M times under 2:10 much less to hit 2:00. If I keep this pace and activity, should get my 1Meg by mid-November.<br /><br />The physical activity is part of an overall weight-loss, health improvement effort. I am 46 years old and weighed 285 in June. Am now at 275 and am constantly losing .5 lb a week. Working on tracking my calories now to increase the weight loss. <br /><br />Best thing so far is that I've felt no wear or tear on the body. I have a cranky knee and it has not bothered me at all. And my back feels much stronger. Not a morning person so waking up 45 minutes earlier has been the major pain point.<br /><br />Reading this forum has been very encouraging to me. <br /><br />Bill

[old] gaijin

Post by [old] gaijin » September 1st, 2005, 11:39 pm

Welcome aboard, bdvorak!<br /><br />

[old] Zot

Post by [old] Zot » September 2nd, 2005, 1:01 am

Hi Bill!<br /><br />Welcome aboard! I can relate to your story. I'm 49 and last November I weighed a whopping 312 lbs. I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without thinking I was going to die. I made a decision on 11/18/04 that my life was going to change. I've been active on and off my whole life, so I knew what I was in for. But this time the committment seemed to stick. I've lost almost 60 pounds and 10 inches from my waist (I was doing mainly treadmill and weights). about a month ago, I bought my C2, site unseen. Never rowed on one before, and only had a less efficient rower many years ago that broke after a month. I'm in love. I feel like I need to do at least 10K a day to feel alive. Like you, my knees and back have been bothersome and they've only improved since I started rowing. Nothing like it in the world!<br /><br />Anyways, welcome to the club. Hope to hear from you often!<br /><br />Zot<br />

[old] Zot

Post by [old] Zot » September 2nd, 2005, 1:03 am

Hi Robin,<br /><br /><br />I'll be gentle as I pass :-). It's all for the team!<br /><br />Zot

[old] code_monkey

Post by [old] code_monkey » September 2nd, 2005, 3:08 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Zot+Sep 1 2005, 04:47 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zot @ Sep 1 2005, 04:47 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-fornelli+Sep 1 2005, 07:40 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(fornelli @ Sep 1 2005, 07:40 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Robin, congratulations on reaching 300,000 meters. Looks like I'd better get off the couch and jump back on my erg and put in some meters so I can try to hold you off for another week or so. <grin><br />Tell you what, let's race to 350K. (I think I need this headstart since my rowing has been so erratic...) Perhaps motiviation for both of us... Zoli will probably beat the both of us though.<br />Jim took off and I don't think I have any chance at catching him now... (Way to row, Jim...)<br /><br />Again, congrats.<br /><br /><br />-jason <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Congratulations from me too! I can appreciate the work you went through to reach your goal.<br /><br />Hi Jason - While I erg for the self challenge of beating my old numbers and seeing how far I can overcome my mental limitations, I'm up for a little competition too! I'm OK with seeing who gets to 350. Though I must warn you - I"m getting to like those 1/2 marathons, so if I need to spot you any meters, let me know. I don't want to take unfair advantage, after all! :-)<br /><br />Happy rowing!<br /><br />Zot (AKA Zoli) <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Cripes! I don't know what I've started here...<grin><br />I finally got off the couch, put in some time on a 10000 meter row, go to log my meters and see you're right where I was this morning. I think I'd need some meters spotted but let's just see how it turns out.<br />So, you'll row a half marathon on Friday. I'll be lucky to put in a 10K row. You'll be ahead of me at that point, then I have to row 15K before you row 5K.... Hmm, now that's gonna be a challenge. But, I'm game.<br />Good luck Zot, Robin (and most especially, good luck to ME!!!).<br /><br /><br />-jason<br />

[old] cnapier

Post by [old] cnapier » September 2nd, 2005, 8:57 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Aug 29 2005, 07:28 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Aug 29 2005, 07:28 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Finally! Today I weighed in at 200, which means since May 1st, I've lost 13 pounds. Hopefully, by next week, I'll be under 200. Yippee.<br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Congratulations Mike,<br /><br />I had hit 204...and then caught a nasty cold and have not been able to work out since the 25th of August. Also upped my food intake to assist in the healing process (but only to the maintaince level) and still have bounced up a couple of pounds. <br /><br />With luck and rest I'll be back adding meters soon.<br /><br />Charles

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » September 2nd, 2005, 9:31 am

<!--QuoteBegin-bdvorak+Sep 1 2005, 10:55 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bdvorak @ Sep 1 2005, 10:55 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-NurseBobbi+May 18 2005, 05:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NurseBobbi @ May 18 2005, 05:15 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:green'>Thanks to Specialt, we now have a virtual team for people who have taken up rowing in an effort to lose or maintain weight. I'm starting this new topic so that people coming into the forum section can find us easily.<br /><br />We're here to offer support and help each other achieve our goals. If you'd like to join the team, go to your online training log, choose Profile > Edit Profile and choose Row Pain, Row Gain from the pull down menu under the College/University Affiliation section.<br /><br />Feel free to introduce yourself, ask questions, share information about your latest workouts, etc.</span> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I've been lurking since July and have waited until I hit the 500K mark to join in the team. I've been rowing consistently for 13 weeks, six days a week. Am now doing 40 minutes a day in the morning. I've had my rower for several years but it was mainly a clothes rack. Had been going to a fitness club for about two years but was only getting there 2-3 times a week. After reading countless articles on the need for daily exercise, I decided to give rowing a try again. Have worked up to daily 9K's in the 40 minute time frame. Hoping to get the distance to 10K's in 40 minutes but have been struggling to get my 500M times under 2:10 much less to hit 2:00. If I keep this pace and activity, should get my 1Meg by mid-November.<br /><br />The physical activity is part of an overall weight-loss, health improvement effort. I am 46 years old and weighed 285 in June. Am now at 275 and am constantly losing .5 lb a week. Working on tracking my calories now to increase the weight loss. <br /><br />Best thing so far is that I've felt no wear or tear on the body. I have a cranky knee and it has not bothered me at all. And my back feels much stronger. Not a morning person so waking up 45 minutes earlier has been the major pain point.<br /><br />Reading this forum has been very encouraging to me. <br /><br />Bill <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /> Glad to have you on the team Bill, welcome!<br />(For anyone else erging out there don't wait, we'd love to have you join EVEN without the 500K!)<br /> WOW that is a lot of meters Bill since July, I've been on the team since July and have only just broke 300K. Nice to have you on board!<br />Mary<br />

[old] rowmantic

Post by [old] rowmantic » September 2nd, 2005, 4:40 pm

Hi All,<br /> Just got off my erg. I decided my "lack" of weight loss needed a boast so I have started walking every day with a friend as a warm-up to my erg. It has taken 2 weeks, but the scale is finally starting to budge in the right direction.<br /> Zot, I can completely relate to not being able to walk up the stairs without feeling like dying. It was what finally got my attention in 2000. I had to sit down after walking up the stairs in my home as I was quite winded. My resting heart rate was in the 80s. I figured one day my sons would have to tell their friends that their mom had died from being overweight and out of shape. I already owned a rowing machine albeit a B model from my college days. I went to the basement and dusted it off; oiled it and began to erg. A few minutes a day was all that I could handle at that point. I joined Weight Watchers and lost 50 pounds. It truly is possible to change. My resting heart rate is in the 40s now and I can easily run up stairs. Every meter on the rowing machine is a meter in the right direction. <br /> Charles, hope you are well enough to get back on the erg soon. I know how discouraging it can be to have a set back, but you have come so far and can go so much further.<br /> Welcome to the group Bill.<br /> Love watching all of you in the "350" club. What great training for the Holiday Challenge in December. <br />~Grace