Team Row Pain, Row Gain

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Steelhead

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] Steelhead » August 20th, 2005, 4:15 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-cnapier+Aug 20 2005, 12:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(cnapier @ Aug 20 2005, 12:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Just completed my first Marathon, was glacial in speed but the first one is about the distance. Also passed 4 million meters during the session (thought combining them would be a nice touch).<br /><br />Still on a steady 2 pound a week weight loss following the Weight Watchers Flex program (utilizing an unauthorized Palm program called WWCalc) which I started on June 27th 2005 at 224.8, currently 207.2 and oh so looking for the day when the first number in my weight will once again be a 1.<br /><br />Charles<br />(254/207/158) <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Charles,<br /><br />After looking at the number of meters you have rowed and the daily increase, it is no wonder that you are losing 2 pounds a week. How many meters do you row each day on average? How much time does it take you? Which model are you using: A, B, C, or D? How many meters do you row in an hour for example? How many points on WW do you eat each day?<br /><br />I ask because you seem to be losing pounds, but I just maintain the same weight, haven't lost any inches, but keep getting stronger and stronger with more and more stamina. For example, when I started rowing in May, I couldn't row longer than 15 minutes without taking a break and drinking a carbohydrate drink (and there was no way I could row longer than one hour); so in a one hour row, I would have to take about 4 breaks of about one minute and my pace was slow (still is, but I continue to make PBs almost daily in the 500K, 1000K, 2000K, 5000K, 10,000K, HM, FM, 60 minute (e.g., yesterday), and 30 minute -- so I continue to improve). Since May 1st, I have rowed two full marathons, several half marathons, and over 1,000,000 meters, and of course I no longer need to take breaks even during a full marathon; in addition, when I did my old weight lifting routine, my bench press increased by 50 pounds which I found quite interesting. At 59, I suspect my metabolism must have really slowed down. I will start pumping iron again Monday to see if this helps.<br /><br />Anyway, if you don't mind it would be great for me to use your system to get my body to start losing fat. So I hope you will share with the team since I may not be the only one interested. If I have to increase my daily meters then so be it (today I'm playing golf so no rowing)<br /><br />Keep rowing!<br /><br />Mike<br />

[old] cnapier

Post by [old] cnapier » August 20th, 2005, 7:12 pm

[/quote]<br /><br />After looking at the number of meters you have rowed and the daily increase, it is no wonder that you are losing 2 pounds a week. How many meters do you row each day on average? How much time does it take you? Which model are you using: A, B, C, or D? How many meters do you row in an hour for example? How many points on WW do you eat each day?<br /><br />I ask because you seem to be losing pounds, ...<br /><br />Anyway, if you don't mind it would be great for me to use your system to get my body to start losing fat. So I hope you will share with the team since I may not be the only one interested. If I have to increase my daily meters then so be it (today I'm playing golf so no rowing)<br /><br />Keep rowing!<br /><br />Mike <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Good afternoon Mike,<br />I got my Model D on 6-18-2004 in an attempt to strenghten my back which I had broke when I was 19 in a snow tubing accident. On top of having a messed up back I had been laid off and packed on an extra 50 pounds which did not help the back any. I have always worked out trying to keep my back in as good a conditition as possible but had never been able to keep my food in check only staying around 200 through lots of working out.<br />Well I found I could no longer maintain my weight though exercise while eating anything I liked so it was time to cut back.<br />A good bud of mine had great success with the WW program...except he was not working out very much (or at all) and the weight loss did not stick. But it did take the weight off of him with little discomfort.<br />I have a palm pda and had found a program called WWCalc that calculates and records your points showing you how many are left. It also takes into account your activity points (tried not using them at first and the hunger was too much to handle) recording and deducting them. I gather activity points based on the calorie counter on the PM3, 100 calories expended per point added.<br /><br />But in reply to your direct questions<br />Since picking up RowPro I have been putting in 2 to 4 6000 meter rows a day with other amounts to keep it interesting. (plus I listen to audio books - gone through the whole Harry Potter series a couple of times now)<br />My times are slow 2:45 - 3:10. I follow the LSD routine (Long Slow Duration)<br />Points per day - 26 daily 35 weekly flex points and all activity points (activity point must be eaten on the day earned)<br /><br /><br />Charles<br />(254/207/158)

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » August 20th, 2005, 7:22 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-blandings+Aug 20 2005, 02:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(blandings @ Aug 20 2005, 02:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Gang<br /><br />I'm a newbie here. Thought adding my meters would be a positive thing but what do I get? An email asking for more meters Guess that's why I joined. More encouragement.<br /><br />Alice <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Welcome to the boat, Alice.<br /><br />

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » August 21st, 2005, 10:06 am

[quote=cnapier,Aug 20 2005, 04:12 PM]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />After looking at the number of meters you have rowed and the daily increase, it is no wonder that you are losing 2 pounds a week. How many meters do you row each day on average? How much time does it take you? Which model are you using: A, B, C, or D? How many meters do you row in an hour for example? How many points on WW do you eat each day?<br /><br />I ask because you seem to be losing pounds, ...<br /><br />Anyway, if you don't mind it would be great for me to use your system to get my body to start losing fat. So I hope you will share with the team since I may not be the only one interested. If I have to increase my daily meters then so be it (today I'm playing golf so no rowing)<br /><br />Keep rowing!<br /><br />Mike <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Good afternoon Mike,<br />I got my Model D on 6-18-2004 in an attempt to strenghten my back which I had broke when I was 19 in a snow tubing accident. On top of having a messed up back I had been laid off and packed on an extra 50 pounds which did not help the back any. I have always worked out trying to keep my back in as good a conditition as possible but had never been able to keep my food in check only staying around 200 through lots of working out.<br />Well I found I could no longer maintain my weight though exercise while eating anything I liked so it was time to cut back.<br />A good bud of mine had great success with the WW program...except he was not working out very much (or at all) and the weight loss did not stick. But it did take the weight off of him with little discomfort.<br />I have a palm pda and had found a program called WWCalc that calculates and records your points showing you how many are left. It also takes into account your activity points (tried not using them at first and the hunger was too much to handle) recording and deducting them. I gather activity points based on the calorie counter on the PM3, 100 calories expended per point added.<br /><br />But in reply to your direct questions<br />Since picking up RowPro I have been putting in 2 to 4 6000 meter rows a day with other amounts to keep it interesting. (plus I listen to audio books - gone through the whole Harry Potter series a couple of times now)<br />My times are slow 2:45 - 3:10. I follow the LSD routine (Long Slow Duration)<br />Points per day - 26 daily 35 weekly flex points and all activity points (activity point must be eaten on the day earned)<br /><br /><br />Charles<br />(254/207/158) <br />[/quote]<br />Thanks Charles,<br /><br />I definitely have to curb what I eat. I kept thinking that if I increased my meters then I didn't have to worry about what I ate. Wrong. I'll make the change starting today.<br /><br />Today I'll be hiking on Mt. Rainier instead of erging.<br /><br />Thanks!!<br /><br />Michael<br />

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » August 21st, 2005, 4:20 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Rowing Rob+Aug 20 2005, 11:20 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Rowing Rob @ Aug 20 2005, 11:20 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Alright!<br /><br />2 rows (5072m & 5208m) yesterday for Blue Moon! I'm pretty proud of myself! <br /><br /> Oh-was I supposed to register somewhere for our team to get the credit? I just logged in the miles on my online log!<br /><br />Go Team Row Pain, Row Gain Go!<br /><br />Rob <br /> </td></tr></table><br /> Yes, -we want to move up, up, up in the standings. We need every meter and that means yours! <br />Go to your Online log>Profile>Edit Profile>University/Club Standings Affliations(at the bottom and scroll down until you of course see ROW PAIN ROW GAIN and select). From then on all your meters logged on will automatically go to the Club chosen. On the University Club Standings Sheet, just click the number next to the RPRG name and ranking and all our team names are listed with the total meters for the season and you'll see your name etc. .<br />Row ON<br />Mary

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » August 21st, 2005, 4:25 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-blandings+Aug 20 2005, 03:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(blandings @ Aug 20 2005, 03:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Gang<br /><br />I'm a newbie here. Thought adding my meters would be a positive thing but what do I get? An email asking for more meters Guess that's why I joined. More encouragement.<br /><br />Alice <br /> </td></tr></table><br /> Welcome-( I don't think he wanted to ask our leaders to go more... They do way to much...it's people like you and me that need that gentle push to do a little more, think of it as a gentle nudge! Good luck and welcome to the team.<br />Mary

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » August 21st, 2005, 6:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-artmom5+Aug 21 2005, 03:25 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(artmom5 @ Aug 21 2005, 03:25 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-blandings+Aug 20 2005, 03:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(blandings @ Aug 20 2005, 03:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Gang<br /><br />I'm a newbie here. Thought adding my meters would be a positive thing but what do I get? An email asking for more meters Guess that's why I joined. More encouragement.<br /><br />Alice <br /> </td></tr></table><br /> Welcome-( I don't think he wanted to ask our leaders to go more... They do way to much...it's people like you and me that need that gentle push to do a little more, think of it as a gentle nudge! Good luck and welcome to the team.<br />Mary <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /> As luck would have it, Alice had logged quite a few meters in a short period of time... <br /><br />What I was hoping to accomplish was encourage those who obviously intended to workout when they joined to get on their C2 and row... <br /><br />Although I've been fairly active in the past 10 months, there have been embarassing long periods of time when my C2 sat all by itself with absolutely no attention. <br /><br />I have typically slacked off during the summer months... but thanks to the encouragement of others on the list, I've logged more summer meters than any time in the 13 years I've had my C2. <br /><br />I certainly don't want to become a pain for anyone... and if anyone I emailed responded unfavorably, I would certainly respect their wishes... thus far those who replied seemed okay with my little nudge<br /><br />Jim S. <br /><br />P.S. Also, I might add that should I slack off, I am counting on someone harassing me to get back to work... <br /><br />

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » August 21st, 2005, 7:06 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jimjayhawk+Aug 21 2005, 06:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jimjayhawk @ Aug 21 2005, 06:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-artmom5+Aug 21 2005, 03:25 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(artmom5 @ Aug 21 2005, 03:25 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-blandings+Aug 20 2005, 03:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(blandings @ Aug 20 2005, 03:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Gang<br /><br />I'm a newbie here. Thought adding my meters would be a positive thing but what do I get? An email asking for more meters Guess that's why I joined. More encouragement.<br /><br />Alice <br /> </td></tr></table><br /> Welcome-( I don't think he wanted to ask our leaders to go more... They do way to much...it's people like you and me that need that gentle push to do a little more, think of it as a gentle nudge! Good luck and welcome to the team.<br />Mary <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /> As luck would have it, Alice had logged quite a few meters in a short period of time... <br /><br />What I was hoping to accomplish was encourage those who obviously intended to workout when they joined to get on their C2 and row... <br /><br />Although I've been fairly active in the past 10 months, there have been embarassing long periods of time when my C2 sat all by itself with absolutely no attention. <br /><br />I have typically slacked off during the summer months... but thanks to the encouragement of others on the list, I've logged more summer meters than any time in the 13 years I've had my C2. <br /><br />I certainly don't want to become a pain for anyone... and if anyone I emailed responded unfavorably, I would certainly respect their wishes... thus far those who replied seemed okay with my little nudge<br /><br />Jim S. <br /><br />P.S. Also, I might add that should I slack off, I am counting on someone harassing me to get back to work... <br /> </td></tr></table><br /> All eyes will be watching YOU! Now get back on that rower until you've done at least 10k for today. LOL<br />Mary

[old] RockinRobin

Post by [old] RockinRobin » August 21st, 2005, 10:19 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-artmom5+Aug 21 2005, 06:06 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(artmom5 @ Aug 21 2005, 06:06 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> All eyes will be watching YOU! Now get back on that rower until you've done at least 10k for today. LOL<br />Mary<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Mary - you were busy today! I came home after work, rowed 5k and then checked the standings to find out we are sitting even <br /><br />Robin<br /><br />Welcome all you new folks - come join in the fun and games!

[old] deppe4

Post by [old] deppe4 » August 22nd, 2005, 10:35 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Normsthename+Aug 20 2005, 11:40 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Normsthename @ Aug 20 2005, 11:40 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'll probably regret doing it, but I sent a little encouraging email to anyone under 100K... </td></tr></table><br />I'am trying my best, I've only been rowing 2 weeks! <br />Will add to the total tonight.....<br /><br />Andy <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Me too - I just started week three. Next week I'll try adding 5 more minutes. I'm pretty excited and motivated though. I decided to tempt fate and take my measurements again "just to see," and it's not much but it's definitely a start - I lost a half inch from the waist and an inch from the thighs. <br /><br />-deppe4

[old] Normsthename

Post by [old] Normsthename » August 22nd, 2005, 1:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Me too - I just started week three. Next week I'll try adding 5 more minutes. I'm pretty excited and motivated though. I decided to tempt fate and take my measurements again "just to see," and it's not much but it's definitely a start - I lost a half inch from the waist and an inch from the thighs. </td></tr></table><br />Well after two weeks on the torture machine I checked today, and I have lost 2.2 kg (5lb), and 4" off of my Gut, and also gone down a notch on my belt.<br />Result!<br /><br />Only another 14.8kg (32lb) to go to my target weight (75kg).......hey, I might even become a lightweight! <br /><br />Andy

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » August 22nd, 2005, 5:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Normsthename+Aug 22 2005, 12:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Normsthename @ Aug 22 2005, 12:00 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Me too - I just started week three. Next week I'll try adding 5 more minutes. I'm pretty excited and motivated though. I decided to tempt fate and take my measurements again "just to see," and it's not much but it's definitely a start - I lost a half inch from the waist and an inch from the thighs. </td></tr></table><br />Well after two weeks on the torture machine I checked today, and I have lost 2.2 kg (5lb), and 4" off of my Gut, and also gone down a notch on my belt.<br />Result!<br /><br />Only another 14.8kg (32lb) to go to my target weight (75kg).......hey, I might even become a lightweight! <br /><br />Andy <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Nice Job Andy!!!<br /><br />Keep up the good work! And you will soon be a consultant for the rest of us. <br /><br />Jim S.

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » August 23rd, 2005, 6:21 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-deppe4+Aug 22 2005, 10:35 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(deppe4 @ Aug 22 2005, 10:35 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Normsthename+Aug 20 2005, 11:40 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Normsthename @ Aug 20 2005, 11:40 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'll probably regret doing it, but I sent a little encouraging email to anyone under 100K... </td></tr></table><br />I'am trying my best, I've only been rowing 2 weeks! <br />Will add to the total tonight.....<br /><br />Andy <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Me too - I just started week three. Next week I'll try adding 5 more minutes. I'm pretty excited and motivated though. I decided to tempt fate and take my measurements again "just to see," and it's not much but it's definitely a start - I lost a half inch from the waist and an inch from the thighs. <br /><br />-deppe4 <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Congrats WELL Done!<br />M<br />

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » August 25th, 2005, 8:51 pm

<br /><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Times'>Congratulations to all the team members on their </span></span></span><span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>LITTLE ACCOMPLISHMENTS</span></span>!<br /> <br />Charles-1400K<br />Mike-1200K<br />Mark & Grace-800K<br />Scott & Terry-700K<br />Ken & Andy-600K<br />Bobbie & Jason-300K<br />Ed-200k<br />And to those <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>SO CLOSE </span></span>your bow is over the line!<br />Novelle-93K<br />Jenny-195K<br />Stuart-396K<br />Kevin-987K<br /><br />We're all doing great and I see J's gentle nudge worked, most everyone has improved their meters and making waves instead of collecting cobwebs!<br />Great JOB<br />RowPainRowGain (see now that hardly hurt at all did it?)<br /><br />Mary

[old] mark12_30

Post by [old] mark12_30 » August 26th, 2005, 7:27 am

Hi, <br /><br />I am working at weight loss. I bought my model D in March. I love to row but I also bike, so during good biking weather I don't row much. Now I am laid up with plantar fascitis.... so.... while I did join the RPRG team, not wanting to be a load in the boat I went back to "no affiliation." I don't want to drag this gutsy group down.<br /><br />A couple of questions:<br /><br />1. Anyone else battle with plantar fascitis and if so, what's your advice?<br /><br />2. What's the minimum I need to be rowing to be an asset to this team instead of a liability? Generally speaking is sporadic rowing (alternating with biking) a liability to team standings? In other words should I be looking for another team that expects the participant to be also doing other sports?<br /><br />Thanks for the inspiration. I hope I can figure out how to row some distance while still 'babying' my feet!<br /><br />Regards, --mark12_30