Wolverine....or just erg hard....always.

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » May 15th, 2008, 6:28 am

Micromonkey wrote:Make your mind up!
I _have_ made up my mind.

Your training is imbalanced (in some way).

The exception proves the rule.

ranger
Last edited by ranger on May 16th, 2008, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Cureton M 72 5'11" 165 lbs. 2K pbs: 6:27.5 (hwt), 6:28 (lwt)

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » May 15th, 2008, 6:33 am

Micromonkey wrote:you're credentials and results certainly don't match the results my coach has produced
Hard to say what supports that.

Coaching myself, I broke the WR in my age and weight division three times, on three consecutive rows, to a total of four seconds.

So, pretty much, no one has ever gotten any better results that I have.

This isn't the end of it, either.

I am now much better than I was in 2003, even though I am five years older.

I think I will now break the WR in my age and weight division by 20 seconds, and break the heavyweight WR in my division rowing as a lightweight.

No one has come close to doing anything like that before.

ranger

chgoss
10k Poster

Post by chgoss » May 15th, 2008, 8:29 am

ranger wrote:
whp4 wrote:My performance is completely irrelevant
No it isn't, if you are giving advice about rowing on this forum but don't know what you're doing, or are asking me about various things that you have no conception of because of your own level of achievement.

ranger
so.. why dont you post a result at a ranked distance?

The way your mind works is beyond me...
52 M 6'2" 200 lbs 2k-7:03.9
1 Corinthians 15:3-8

Micromonkey
Paddler

Post by Micromonkey » May 15th, 2008, 8:40 am

ranger wrote:
Micromonkey wrote:you're credentials and results certainly don't match the results my coach has produced

Coaching myself, I broke the WR in my age and weight division three times, on three consecutive rows, to a total of four seconds.

I think I will now break the WR in my age and weight division by 20 seconds, and break the heavyweight WR in my division rowing as a lightweight.

ranger
No you didn't, when you achieved those records by your own admission you 'didn't know how to row'
Since coaching yourself and since those records you've either failed to even try when you said you would, failed to turn up with some incredible excuse or another, broke down during the race, or, again with various excuses,failed to produce a result anything like what you claimed you will.

Thats what supports that, just claiming your "so much better now" doesn't prove anything, in the real world you have to actually do it.

whp4
6k Poster

Post by whp4 » May 15th, 2008, 11:00 am

ranger wrote:
No it isn't, if you are giving advice about rowing on this forum but don't know what you're doing, or are asking me about various things that you have no conception of because of your own level of achievement.

ranger
I'm not giving advice about rowing. I'm pointing out that you haven't demonstrated the improvement you claim, and giving you advice about how you might demonstrate such an improvement in a fashion that might give you a shred of credibility (something rather lacking in your statements of the last several years).

One doesn't have to be capable of throwing a perfect 70 yard spiral to see that the Michigan QB has thrown another interception.

You gave plenty of advice over the last few years despite your recent insistence that you didn't know how to row. Odd that I can't think of anyone who credits your advice with their improvement! I guess "thanks to ranger for showing me what NOT to do" isn't a gracious statement suitable for the medal stand interview :lol:

whp4
6k Poster

Post by whp4 » May 15th, 2008, 11:02 am

ranger wrote:

Interesting. I wonder why I don't see your name when I review the list of world records for any distance? Must be an oversight of some sort, I guess.

By the way, 6:31.6 - 6:28.0 is 3.6 seconds, not 4. The largest margin that you've beaten an existing record by is 1.6 seconds. The gentleman who improved on your record did so by almost 50% more than that.
If by "it" you mean erroneous statements by ranger, I completely agree, there's no reason to believe they will stop.
Your technique is possibly better (a low bar) but you have not demonstrated that you are faster. You have made great strides in your ability to do simple things like post snapshots and videos, though you haven't managed to document any number of excuses (who could forget "the tree fell on my thumb"?) or an actual timed piece or even a continuous row of more than a few minutes duration.

Hate to break it to you, but a quick glance at the record book shows that the hwt record for a given age class is not always better than the corresponding lwt record. And your claim about how no WR holder has ever improved? Also bogus. What was the name of that Al Gore movie?

whp4
6k Poster

Post by whp4 » May 15th, 2008, 11:09 am

chgoss wrote:
ranger wrote:

ranger
so.. why dont you post a result at a ranked distance?

The way your mind works is beyond me...
Some of the wheels are a bit out of round :lol:

Ever looked up Narcissistic Personality Disorder?

PaulH
6k Poster

Post by PaulH » May 15th, 2008, 11:11 am

ranger wrote:

ranger
That's right, because if there's one thing we've learned in sport it's that only people who can do can also teach. Just ask Jürgen Gröbler, one of the most successful coaches of all time, who was ... well OK, so he wasn't an Olympic standard rower. But what about Vince Lombardi, one of the greatest coaches in any sport, whose skills were founded in his outstanding career with the mighty Wilmington Clippers?

Hmm. Well the point stands - unless you can row at international standard then a) you don't know what you're talking about, and b) you can't even understand what ranger is talking about.

Actually that latter point might just be true...

PaulH
6k Poster

Post by PaulH » May 15th, 2008, 11:13 am

ranger wrote:
Micromonkey wrote:Make your mind up!
I_ have_ made up my mind.

Your training is imbalanced (in some way).

The exception proves the rule.

ranger
Do you even know what 'The exception proves the rule' means? It's from an older meaning of prove, 'to test' (as in a 'proving ground'). So the exception does test the rule, by showing it to be wrong. Just like your rule is.

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » May 15th, 2008, 12:12 pm

ranger wrote:

ranger
You only coached yourself through a good bout of weight loss, it had nothing to do with improving your performance. (offers were made to help you with that, but you ridiculed and slandered the methods which lead others in your age/weight class to kick your arse.) Just think how much better you could have been with a good program to improve your performance.

That is THE END OF IT, oh yes it is. :twisted:
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » May 16th, 2008, 4:25 am

Micromonkey wrote:
ranger wrote:

ranger
No you didn't, when you achieved those records by your own admission you 'didn't know how to row'
Since coaching yourself and since those records you've either failed to even try when you said you would, failed to turn up with some incredible excuse or another, broke down during the race, or, again with various excuses,failed to produce a result anything like what you claimed you will.

Thats what supports that, just claiming your "so much better now" doesn't prove anything, in the real world you have to actually do it.

Knowing how to row well is only one aspect of training, as I have said, an aspect that I think is worth about four seconds per 500.

As I have also been pointing out, almost no one rows well, certainly no one who is over about 40 years old.

Therefore, most of the times that are posted, and really _all_ of the times posted for those over 40, are done rowing poorly.

They are achieved by following a training program that concentrates on improving fitness and neglects technique.

This is also how I trained in 2002-2003.

How could I train otherwise?

I didn't know enough to do anything different.

I was new to rowing.

Everyone else just trained fitness.

So I did, too.

Nonetheless, rowing like shit, I lowered the WR in my age and weight division by 3.6 seconds, at one point, pulling three consecutive WR rows.

Therefore, competing on the same ground as others in my training program, that is, just training my fitness, no one has ever gotten better results that I have gotten.

However, since 2003, I have been trying to do something else entirely.

Even though I lowered the WR in my age and weight division by almost four seconds, I have been trying to get 10 or so seconds better than that even though I will be five years older, this time by training my fitness to the max, as I did before, but now also training myself to row well.

No one over about 40 years old has ever rowed well.

So this is a very interesting project, too.

This winter I will be 58 years old.

If I succeed, I will now break the WR in my age and weight division by 20 seconds and will break the heavyweight WR in my age division rowing as a lightweight.

No one has ever done anything of the sort.

As I have explained repeatedly, training yourself to row well is a different project from training your fitness.

I don't think that progress in the two projects can be assessed in the same way.

Nonetheless, my results along the way have not at all been bad, as you claim.

In 2006, I pulled a hwt 6:29 at 55 years old, when I weighed only 170 lbs. or so and was only doing foundational rowing for training.

That was four seconds faster than the hammer row in the 55s hwts that year.

That is a _very_ nice result.

Given that my technique is now fixed and I can go on and train my fitness to the max again, this time while rowing well, it will be interesting to see what I can do now on more than just a diet of foundational training.

I am doing distance rowing this spring and summer.

I will do full sharpening in the fall.

In the winter next year, I should be fully trained for the first time since 2003 and therefore I should be ready to test the results of my training plan over the last five years.

Succeed or fail, it will have been an interesting project, I think.

And if I succeed, the results will be remarkable indeed.

In fact, if I succeed, I think my project will have demonstrated the single best piece of coaching and rowing ever by an age-group coach and athlete in the history of this sport.

Starting from a point where I had already lowered my age group record by four seconds, I will have improved my time ten seconds or so more, and five years later, broken my age group record by 20 seconds, breaking the heavyweight WR in my age division, rowing as a lightweight.

No one has ever done anything of the sort.

Needless to say, I am excited at the prospect, given that I think I am right on track to get these things done.

My technique is fixed.

I now row well (i.e., I now pull 13 SPI).

I am now training my fitness while rowing well.

If I reach _any_ of my many goals this spring and summer, even one, it will show that this project is entirely feasible and my projections have been right on since the beginning.

So, hold on to your hats!

ranger
Last edited by ranger on May 16th, 2008, 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » May 16th, 2008, 4:36 am

PaulS wrote:You only coached yourself through a good bout of weight loss, it had nothing to do with improving your performance.
Be a little more generous to your competition, Paul.

When I started rowing, I did hour rows at about 2:05 pace, which predicts about 7:40 for 2K.

Over the course of a year and a half or so, I coached myself to the point that I pulled 16.7K/1:48 for 60min and pulled 6:27.5 for 2K.

Yes, then I _also_ coached myself to lose 30 pounds and pull off three consecutive WR rows, lowering the lwt WR by a total of 3.6 seconds.

Now, I am coaching myself to row well, too.

It will be interesting to see if I can succeed as spectacularly with this project as I have done with the other two projects.

ranger

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » May 16th, 2008, 5:35 am

PaulS wrote:
ranger wrote:

ranger
You only coached yourself through a good bout of weight loss, it had nothing to do with improving your performance. (offers were made to help you with that, but you ridiculed and slandered the methods which lead others in your age/weight class to kick your arse.) Just think how much better you could have been with a good program to improve your performance.

That is THE END OF IT, oh yes it is. :twisted:
The is hilarious, Paul.

A total inversion of the facts, which are still playing themselves out.

As it turns out, Rocket Roy, in open competition, didn't improve a whit under your coaching.

He just lost weight.

And I suspect that it wasn't you that coached him about how to do that.

I suspect that he did that himself (through diet and cross-training)!

Roy had already pulled 6:38 before you started coaching him.

After you coached him, the best he did in open competition was just that, 6:38.

And he only did that once.

Most of his rows in competition were 6:43-6:46.

In truth, Paul, you don't know how to train an athlete in superior ways for either fitness or for rowing well, much less both.

You neglect both distance work (for fitness) and foundational rowing (for technique and stroking power, rowing well).

And you never combine the two.

So the rowers you coach have no endurance with power.

In essence, with your coaching, you just sharpen a rower up.

Unfortunately, since everyone knows perfectly well how to sharpen and gets it done in just about the same way, this contributes nothing at all in any special way, as you didn't contribute anything at all in any special way to Roy's achievement on the erg.

If Roy had learned to row well, he would have pulled 13 SPI, rather than 10 SPI.

If Roy had been maximally fit, he would have improved and rowed 6:28 rather than 6:38.

If Roy had _both_ rowed well and been maximally fit, he would have rowed 6:18.

He did none of these.

He didn't improve at all.

He rowed 6:38.

He just lost some weight.

ranger

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » May 16th, 2008, 5:55 am

PaulS wrote:That is THE END OF IT
For you, yes.

But not for me.

I haven't even begun to test the extent of the technical improvements I have made.

I will do that testing this spring and summer with my distance rowing and then this fall with my sharpening.

Get your popcorn and hot dogs, Paul.

Get ready for the show.

Don't dribble that mustard on your tie!

:lol: :lol:

ranger

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » May 16th, 2008, 6:26 am

After you are properly prepared mechanically and technically, if you are a lightweight, the first thing to do if you want to develop great endurance while rowing well is to train yourself to row a FM, 1:48 @ 21 spm (13 SPI).

That's what I am doing now.

For most people, to get this done, you need to be able to row 1:48 @ 21 spm (13 SPI) at steady state for 2.5 hours with your HR flat at no more than 80% HRR (for me, 160 bpm).

This is middle of the road UT1.

My anaerobic threshold is 172 bpm.

For me, 70% HRR is 145 bpm.

ranger