Team Row Pain, Row Gain

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Rowing Rob

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] Rowing Rob » August 15th, 2005, 7:50 am

Hey Guys!<br /><br />OK which is better-power or speed-for weight loss?<br /><br />I've been working with the damper set @ 3 and trying to average over 100 watts in power per stroke. I get a good workout but I don't get very high stroke per minutes (36-39). I also seem to be gaining more muscle mass (muscle burns more fat)<br /><br />I thought if I lowered the damper and tried to achieve higher strokes per minute I would get more of a cardiac workout but not build muscle mass. I'd like to row in the CRASH one day & I understand they don't dictate the damper setting-I imagine everyone leaves the damper @ 0.<br /><br />I have a heart monitor attachment that isn't reliable & I don't really ever believe those "calorie burned" numbers. <br /><br />What has been everyone else's technique/strategy?<br /><br />Thx<br /><br />Rob

[old] tubed

Post by [old] tubed » August 15th, 2005, 11:05 am

Thank you, Julie.<br /><br />I have been focusing on keeping my back straight only at the end of the drive. I have definitely been hunching forward at the end of the recovery. So it was the same at all stroke ratings. I will work on correcting it which should allow me to drive/exhale and recover/inhale, which does make sense. It did not feel right the other way.<br /><br />Very much appreciated,<br /><br />david<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-julieofarc+Aug 14 2005, 06:03 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(julieofarc @ Aug 14 2005, 06:03 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-tubed+Aug 14 2005, 05:03 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(tubed @ Aug 14 2005, 05:03 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I have been inhaling on the pull and exhaling on the release which seems counterintuitive but I find it hard to inhale when compressing into my knees. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />David-<br /><br />You're basically doing a glorified leg press/squat on the erg, if there is such a thing. (Okay, so that's really simplistic, but it helps me remember to drive with my legs....) So, breathe out on the drive and in on the recovery. Like when you're lifting weights. Make sense? Also works better because the recovery should be *much* longer than the drive, giving you the time to inhale. I'm working on making sure I'm exhaling/driving for "one" and then inhaling/recovering for "one-two-three". (Thanks for the reminder, Grace!) <br /><br />Are you possibly coming too far forward at the catch so that it restricts your breathing? Or 'hunching' forward rather than sitting up straight? Are you having trouble with this just at all stroke ratings, or just higher ones? Just some things to consider.<br /><br />Julie <br /> </td></tr></table>

[old] cnapier

Post by [old] cnapier » August 15th, 2005, 12:06 pm

Just finished using RowPro to back fill this seasons meters.<br /><br />Really do like its ability upload your sessions as I never would log them otherwise.<br /><br />Charles<br />(254/210/158)

[old] Xeno

Post by [old] Xeno » August 15th, 2005, 12:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-julieofarc+Aug 14 2005, 05:03 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(julieofarc @ Aug 14 2005, 05:03 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-tubed+Aug 14 2005, 05:03 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(tubed @ Aug 14 2005, 05:03 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I have been inhaling on the pull and exhaling on the release which seems counterintuitive but I find it hard to inhale when compressing into my knees. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />David-<br /><br />You're basically doing a glorified leg press/squat on the erg, if there is such a thing. (Okay, so that's really simplistic, but it helps me remember to drive with my legs....) So, breathe out on the drive and in on the recovery. Like when you're lifting weights. Make sense? Also works better because the recovery should be *much* longer than the drive, giving you the time to inhale. I'm working on making sure I'm exhaling/driving for "one" and then inhaling/recovering for "one-two-three". (Thanks for the reminder, Grace!) <br /><br />Are you possibly coming too far forward at the catch so that it restricts your breathing? Or 'hunching' forward rather than sitting up straight? Are you having trouble with this just at all stroke ratings, or just higher ones? Just some things to consider.<br /><br />Julie <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hi there.<br />If you have your lungs full of air at the catch you are not in a position of relaxation and "hanging" position when you apply the leg drive. At no point in my storke cycle do I "stop" the flow of air through my lungs. I breath continuously. Thus I inhale during my drive.<br />XENO

[old] rod7896

Post by [old] rod7896 » August 15th, 2005, 2:44 pm

Well, we just lost 900k (and a spot in the standings) on our total, as Ken Meek started his own team, Fitness First UK. Guess that means I have to row today. THANKS ALOT KEN! <br /><br />Just kidding, of course

[old] gaijin

Post by [old] gaijin » August 15th, 2005, 6:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rod7896+Aug 15 2005, 11:44 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rod7896 @ Aug 15 2005, 11:44 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Well, we just lost 900k (and a spot in the standings) on our total, as Ken Meek started his own team, Fitness First UK.    Guess that means I have to row today.  THANKS ALOT KEN!  <br /><br />Just kidding, of course  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />That's OK. I just logged my first million meters in one season and feel pretty good about it.<br /><br />Pounds lost: 72 so far<br />Meters rowed: 1,368,125 lifetime<br />Feeling of accomplishment: Priceless!<br /><br />So, time to stop resting on my laurels and start on that second million this season.<br /><br />Thanks again to all for the continuing motivation.<br /><br />Bill<br />

[old] katbois

Post by [old] katbois » August 15th, 2005, 6:43 pm

Congrats to all hitting the big million meters! I should be there soon, that is if the creek don't rise and... you know!<br /><br />Allow me to say (in case I have neglected to in the past) that this is a great team and a superb forum for motivating me, the poster child for couch potatoism.<br /><br />Keep up the great work! Go RPRG!<br /><br />Mark

[old] julieofarc

Post by [old] julieofarc » August 15th, 2005, 10:25 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Xeno+Aug 15 2005, 09:44 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Xeno @ Aug 15 2005, 09:44 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi there.<br />If you have your lungs full of air at the catch you are not in a position of relaxation and "hanging" position when you apply the leg drive.  At no point in my storke cycle do I "stop" the flow of air through my lungs.  I breath continuously.  Thus I inhale during my drive.<br />XENO <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks, Xeno. I think this is the exact opposite of what I've been taught. (And obviously you know waaaaaaay more what you're talking about than I do with my very limited rowing experience.) So, can you clarify for me? Are you saying you inhale & exhale on both the drive and recovery? Or that your breathing pattern is not related to a particular part of the stroke, just consistently breathing in and out and have 'empty' lungs at the catch? I'm confused! <br /><br />

[old] julieofarc

Post by [old] julieofarc » August 15th, 2005, 10:35 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rod7896+Aug 15 2005, 11:44 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rod7896 @ Aug 15 2005, 11:44 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Well, we just lost 900k (and a spot in the standings) on our total, as Ken Meek started his own team, Fitness First UK.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well, let's see.... that means there are something like 53 of us now, right? So shall we just make up Ken's meters this week? That's only an *extra* 20K each this week, right? For us slow pokes, it's a measly 1 1/2- 2 hour row. I'll just take my new Sense & Sensibility to watch on the laptop- although all the other cardio people will laugh at me, since the ergs are at the front of the cardio area. Ugh!<br /><br />(This from the woman who refused to go erg today! But really, I have a sore throat, and I wouldn't want to overdo..... ) <br /><br />Julie

[old] gaijin

Post by [old] gaijin » August 16th, 2005, 1:57 am

Just for kicks I did a little analysis of the top distance rowers on this web site.<br /><br />I went to the Annual Meters Honor Board and looked at the top 50 distance rowers in the world. These folks average from 13,520 to 42,593 meters per day! Average! Every day!<br /><br />Do you know what their average age is? 50!<br /><br />That's right, 50 years old!<br /><br />The youngest is 17 and the oldest is 70!<br /><br />At 54, I guess I'm not over the hill yet!<br /><br />FYI<br /><br />Bill<br />(feeling younger every meter rowed)<br />

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » August 16th, 2005, 7:35 am

It is amazing to see the time and effort put in on the C2 around the world... I still can't imagine ever being possessed to join those 40,000 meter a day people, yet having a few people to try and stay ahead of and a couple to try and catch on the RPRG group has kicked my workouts up a notch... last year I don't think I rowed 100,000 between March and October.... last week I put in over 40,000 and this week will likely be as much if not more (assuming my body doesn't file a overly painful protest). <br /><br />Jim<br /><br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-gaijin+Aug 16 2005, 12:57 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(gaijin @ Aug 16 2005, 12:57 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Just for kicks I did a little analysis of the top distance rowers on this web site.<br /><br />I went to the Annual Meters Honor Board and looked at the top 50 distance rowers in the world.  These folks average from 13,520 to 42,593 meters per day!  Average!  Every day!<br /><br />Do you know what their average age is?  50!<br /><br />That's right, 50 years old!<br /><br />The youngest is 17 and the oldest is 70!<br /><br />At 54, I guess I'm not over the hill yet!<br /><br />FYI<br /><br />Bill<br />(feeling younger every meter rowed) <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] Normsthename

Post by [old] Normsthename » August 16th, 2005, 9:00 am

Hi<br />I have just joined the team, and hope my meagre metres will help......<br />Let me introduce myself, I am 43, 92 Kg (203lb) and not that fit.<br />I bought the concept just over a week ago, and I am almost enjoying using it! <br />One question, the logged metres, are these total metres, including warmup & warmdown?<br />If so, how do you work out how many metres you have rowed, do you have to write down the figure before and after, and then calculate it?<br />I know the Logcard reports the total metres but is there a screen on the rower where it tells me how many I have done in total in a session?<br /><br />Andy

[old] rowmantic

Post by [old] rowmantic » August 16th, 2005, 10:40 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Rowing Rob+Aug 15 2005, 06:50 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Rowing Rob @ Aug 15 2005, 06:50 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hey Guys!<br /><br />OK which is better-power or speed-for weight loss?<br /><br />I've been working with the damper set @ 3 and trying to average over 100 watts in power per stroke. I get a good workout but I don't get very high stroke per minutes (36-39). I also seem to be gaining more muscle mass (muscle burns more fat)<br /><br />I thought if I lowered the damper and tried to achieve higher strokes per minute I would get more of a cardiac workout but not build muscle mass. I'd like to row in the CRASH one day & I understand they don't dictate the damper setting-I imagine everyone leaves the damper @ 0.<br /><br />I have a heart monitor attachment that isn't reliable & I don't really ever believe those "calorie burned" numbers. <br /><br />What has been everyone else's technique/strategy?<br /><br />Thx<br /><br />Rob <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Hi Rob,<br /> <br /> The ever popular weight loss question, I wish I had a magical answer for that one. I'd do nothing but row at whatever rating and damper setting was necessary. I do think that knowing your your max and min heart rate is the way to focus on burning fat. I know there is a percentage that you are supposed to workout at to burn fat. I believe that speed work does not contribute to fat loss as much as lower and longer workouts do. <br /><br /> In response to your comments about the damper, I am always checking the drag as it is different on some machines. I set the drag at 116-117. On a newer machine that sometimes means that the damper is on 1 and on some older ones, it is has high as 6 or 7. My own machine at home is set at 3. If you are rowing on a C model, you can check the drag by pushing the rest and ready button at the same time. I'd tell you how to find it on the D model, but I rarely use one and then spend 5 minutes wondering where I find it. Assuming you are a heavy weight man, Rob, you might try a drag between a 115-120.<br /><br /> If your goal is to race at the CRASH-Bs, I'd recommend that you concentrate more on your splits versus stroke rating. You are not necessarily going faster when the stroke rating is between a 36-39. You might actually be faster at 30 spm. If you can get a lower split at 28-30 spms and be able to breathe, you will have a faster 2k time. Breathing is good.... I raced the last CRASH-Bs between a 26-28 spm. My goal was to keep the split at a 1:50. I didn't pay as much attention to the stroke rate as I did the splits.<br /><br />My Two Cents Worth,<br />~Grace<br /><br />Welcome Andy.<br />Do log all your meters, warm-up, cool down, etc.... <br />I, personally, keep track of my meters in a logbook. Not sure how you look up all the meters you rowed this season on your Logcard..... Anyone know how???<br /><br />Julie, <br />Sense and Sensiblity? I find that watching Mr. Darcy and Miss Elizabeth Bennet of Pride and Predjudice is so much better for my erging...

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » August 16th, 2005, 11:04 am

<!--QuoteBegin-tubed+Aug 13 2005, 01:48 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(tubed @ Aug 13 2005, 01:48 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hello All,<br /><br />I have just signed up as a member after having my first session on a Concept2.  I read about the machine in an article today, checked eBay for some quotes and the website for some information.<br />I went down to my gym and was happy to find two machines in working order.  Put in a 30 minute session and logged 6,338m.  I am 48 years old and martial arts and surfing are what inspire and center me but I do not do enough of either of them to keep me at my optimal weight.  I am 6'3" and 234lbs and am aiming for 210lbs.<br /><br />I came home and found your forum and read through the 27 pages. It was highly informative and very helpful.  Congratulations to everyone for the effort exerted and the results achieved.  I am looking forward to being a contributing member of the team.<br /><br />regards,<br /><br />david <br /><br /><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Times'>Welcome David!</span></span></span><br /> </td></tr></table><br />I will give you advice wisely given to me...Take it slow and easy to start, your body will appreciate it in 4 weeks. Looks like your distance and time are great, keep up the consistency and you will be a svelte 210 in no time.<br />Mary

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » August 16th, 2005, 11:17 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Normsthename+Aug 16 2005, 09:00 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Normsthename @ Aug 16 2005, 09:00 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi<br />I have just joined the team, and hope my meagre metres will help......<br />Let me introduce myself, I am 43, 92 Kg (203lb) and not that fit.<br />I bought the concept just over a week ago, and I am almost enjoying using it! <br />One question, the logged metres, are these total metres, including warmup & warmdown?<br />If so, how do you work out how many metres you have rowed, do you have to write down the figure before and after, and then calculate it?<br />I know the Logcard reports the total metres but is there a screen on the rower where it tells me how many I have done in total in a session?<br /><br />Andy <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Times'>Welcome to the team Andy! </span></span></span><br />I can't help you with the logcard but when you enter your meters on the website they will be automatically added up. I keep records of my w/u (warm-ups, cool downs, and sets so I have a goal to maintain or improve.) All the workouts are listed in your online log. You can check the summary stats etc. and look for only 5K or 5:00 min rows etc. too. And if you're really a masochist you can look up your entered ranked rows to see what rowers your age are doing. Good Luck and welcome aboard! <br />Mary