For real this time….

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
tordoc
Paddler

For real this time….

Post by tordoc » January 24th, 2024, 3:58 pm

Hi all,

I’ve had a rough few years. Back surgery, bilateral knee replacements, abdominal surgery, multiple medical issues too complicated to discuss here. I’ve been working on losing weight - pretty much through CICO. I’ve lost about 80 lb but have hit a wall. I have a C2E for several years, now upgraded with a PM5. Last year I started rowing again bit pushed too hard one day and injured my sacroiliac joint. This returned me to the couch, then to walking and now back to the erg.

I want to progress steadily for the calorie burn and general fitness. I decided to start with the beginner Pete plan, but the 50% version to be gentle on myself. I figure I’ll do the plan at 50% distance and then after week 24 I’ll do it again at 100%

So I’m starting week 4 and feeling alright. Times are improving steadily. I’m liking the mix of longer rows and shorter sprints. I like not having to think about what workout I’ll do on a given day. I am using a HR monitor. And I’ve registered for the January challenge for a little extra motivation.

Any comments or suggestions using this as a weight loss adjuvant? Any other techniques? I’m well aware that the *** DELETE - SPAM *** is the main room for weight loss, not the gym and make much effort in that area.

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: For real this time….

Post by jamesg » January 25th, 2024, 1:18 am

Looks perfect. I don't avoid the cucina, and plenty of low energy, high roughage fruit n veg is working fine.

Two-three hours a week using C2 WODs sorts the CO side of cico.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week. Fading fast.

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » January 26th, 2024, 1:36 am

tordoc wrote:
January 24th, 2024, 3:58 pm
Any other techniques? I’m well aware that the *** place where one cooks food *** is the main room for weight loss, not the gym and make much effort in that area.
I 100% agree that calorie intake reduction is the simplest way - it's a lot easier to not eat it in the first place than to have to burn it off through exercise.

Another intake-related thing - I realized a few years ago that it's totally OK to go to bed slightly hungry. (heck, so many do so by necessity all over the world) So if late in the evening I'm feeling a bit peckish I make it a point to not eat anything, and just go to bed.

Finally, I minimize the quantity of tempting stuff in the house by not buying it at all. It's easier to resist the temptation for the 15 minutes you're in the store, as opposed to know that it's calling your name from the cupboard or fridge. Just keep the true necessities, but every now and then reward yourself with a healthy treat.

Good Luck

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » January 26th, 2024, 1:57 am

Congratulations on finding a way through all of the bad days and frustration and focusing on slowly improving.

Ime, the weight loss will also slowly happen if you keep doing what you're doing, but as Ombrax says not buying tempting foods in the first place is a great idea.
50 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

iain
10k Poster

Post by iain » February 15th, 2024, 8:18 am

By 50% BPE, do you mean that you do all workouts to 50% distance? How do you manage on intervals? Do you do 50% length but same reps or half the reps? Neither is ideal as a 2k is a very different beast to 2 x 2k as is 3x500 rather than 6 x 500. I don't think the adaptions would be the same as the anaerobic / aerobic split will be different even if done at same effort level. Similarly 6 x 250 is primarily anaerobic while 6 x 500 is more balanced.

Personally I would recommend building up the distance rows a bit quicker than 250m per week and when you hit 5k starting on the 100% plan. JMHO and the most important point is that whatever you do you keep doing it, so only do what you think you can continue.
56, lightweight in pace and by gravity. Currently training 3-4 times a week after a break to slowly regain the pitiful fitness I achieved a few years ago. Free Spirit, come join us http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/forum/