High Intensity Training vs. Long, lower intensity pieces???

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
nchasan
1k Poster

Post by nchasan » February 4th, 2009, 12:13 pm

raymond.botha wrote:
Thanks for your input Neil, I've taken valuable insight from your post.

Ray
Thank you Ray! Happy to contribute!

In the "practice what you preach" category, in order to take advantage of both short duration and long duration chemistry, I have employed this strategy:
Monday - 6000m
Tuesday - two times 2000m (1000m warm up)
Wednesday - 500m (1000m warm up, 2000m cool down)
Thursday - 6000m
Friday - 10,000m

Each of these training rows employ different metabolic parameters. But other than the 500, which I go all out during, I always start hard, and sprint in to finish the row. I usually start my sprint at about 250 m to go. This strategy has allowed me to both grow my type II muscle fiber (I feel stronger for sure) and also get a good fat burn in during at least 3 days each week. In addition, I couple my ERG training with weight training to fatigue with an emphasis on strength training (10 rep max). I take one weekend day off, usually Sunday. On Saturday, I jog three miles with my dog, which is usually painful because I am so fatigued from the rowing. I will say that I feel my lactate tolerance increasing with an increased power through the 2000m events, which are strictly anaerobic events.

So far the result is a week over week improvement in my performance at every distance. As for weight loss, I am on track to lose 1-2 pounds each week over three months.

Neil
Check out my sports physical therapy blog at srcpt.com/blog

[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1240191361.png[/img]