Row Pain, Row Gain - Come on back everybody.

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
PinkPincess
Paddler

Post by PinkPincess » January 15th, 2007, 4:01 am

So can fat middle age ladies join in your group? I don't know anyone else who rows. i tried the rowing machine at a gym and loved it. They have a rowing machine at the apartment building we live at so I thought I'd start rowing again.

Do many people own their own machines or do they mostly use them at a gym. Just curious.

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » January 15th, 2007, 1:40 pm

We need all the fat middle-aged ladies we can find. This is a great sport for us-not too much competition. Most of the participants are young fit tall good looking guys!

Check out the Nonathlon. Your rating is based on other rowers of your same sex and age (within one year). It made me do more distances and times, as I wanted to post data for each of the 9 events, and it gave me a goal when I sat down to to row.

grams (64 yo, trying to lose 20 lbs)
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"
5 kids, 6 grandkids, 1 great-granddaughter
Marathon mugs available at http://www.zazzle.com/grammms Profits go to charity

PinkPincess
Paddler

Post by PinkPincess » January 15th, 2007, 9:00 pm

Well now that you told me that most of the participants are young fit tall good looking guys I'm much more encouraged to hang around! :lol:

Thanks for the Nonathlon web site I'm going to go check it out.

bostonwnb
Paddler

Post by bostonwnb » January 16th, 2007, 10:16 am

Hi!

I've been gone for a while - did not row during the last few weeks before my goal marathon (Houston) which took place on Jan 14. I was thrilled and relieved to qualify for the Boston Marathon in 2008, with a time of 3:45:59 - literally not a second to spare.

So for the next few months, I will be rowing more and running less. I have to drop about 15 lbs which accumulated (mostly) around the middle, since Thanksgiving. Despite what some people may think, it is very difficult to lose weight in the midst of an intensive marathon training program. You need so many calories to keep the exercise fire burning, that 'dieting' or any calorie deprivation is simply not a good idea.

For the next few weeks/months (until I am down to about 155 lbs) my aim will be to maintain around 1500 calories per day (6 small meals); no sugar, lots of water & tea, & high fiber intake.

Welcome to all the new team members!

Happy rowing!

Cheers

Bert
Houston

derrickri
Paddler

Post by derrickri » January 16th, 2007, 1:28 pm

Bert, congrats on qualifying for Boston! Kudos to you.

Welcome new members! Happy New Year n' stuff! I'm in the middle of "restarting" after the holiday challenge as well. I was doing really good (made the 200k) but then I got the flu, really bad, over the holidays. So now, I'm back and rowing again as well and am searching for that motivation again.

For games, I usually try and race my ipod. I have some playlists that are certain lengths of minutes long, and I try to finish before the end of the list, or before the end of a certain song. My staple distance is a 10k, so I NEED the tunes! Once I get to daydreaming or singing, I can row for a long time...just as long as I don't look at my callouses! :shock:

D

Ducatista
2k Poster

Post by Ducatista » January 21st, 2007, 10:01 pm

Woo hoo, I passed 200K for the JVC! There's no way I would've maintained this pace without the team challenge.

I'm floored that there are people already at 700, 800, 900K for the challenge. My butt aches just thinking about it.

Rvav8r
Paddler

1 Million Meters

Post by Rvav8r » January 25th, 2007, 4:48 pm

I am pleased to announce that today I went over 1 million meters for a lifetime total. My only regret is that I did not know about row pain row gain when I first started. So only 1/2 or so count for the team.

Ray Murphy
Bandon, OR

derrickri
Paddler

Post by derrickri » January 26th, 2007, 2:44 pm

Cheers mate! Congrats! I'm closing in on my million mark too...I'm hoping to hit it before I go on vacation to Scotland! Then I'll have to do some hiking up in the highlands to get my legs tired out. B)

Ducatista
2k Poster

Post by Ducatista » February 1st, 2007, 7:42 pm

RPRG RULES! The JVC put me up 329km and down 11.6 lbs! I realize the weight loss pace most likely isn't sustainable, and that's fine, it was just nice to get a beginning-of-the-year boost. I'm hoping the meterage is sustainable, at least until riding season (which is a couple months off, here on the tundra).

lowwall
Paddler

Post by lowwall » February 2nd, 2007, 1:37 am

I think we did a pretty good job in the January challenge. It's the first one I've done and it did help get me through what has usually been a tough time of year for me meter-wise.

I also crossed the 15 million meter mark during the challenge, 25 million to go for my virtual row around the world.

Alex Frakt

DavidA
10k Poster

Post by DavidA » February 2nd, 2007, 2:06 pm

Alex,
Congratulations on the 15 Mm mark ! :D That's a lot of erging. Don't forget to ask C2 for your free erging shorts.
Good luck on the rest of the trip. B)

David
63 y / 70 kg / 172 cm / 5 kids / 17 grandkids :)
Received my model C erg 18-Dec-1994
my log

Ducatista
2k Poster

Post by Ducatista » February 2nd, 2007, 2:32 pm

lowwall wrote:I also crossed the 15 million meter mark during the challenge, 25 million to go for my virtual row around the world.

Alex Frakt
Wow, 15 million. Congratulations! I hope to be there in no more than 10 years. B)

lowwall
Paddler

Post by lowwall » February 2nd, 2007, 3:10 pm

Ducatista -
Keep up your current schedule and you'll be there in half that time. My first logged row was 8k on May 8, 2002, so it's taken just under 5 years.

Alex

Ducatista
2k Poster

Post by Ducatista » March 10th, 2007, 3:46 pm

Many thanks to a spammer for bumping this thread, because I've been meaning to ask: will RPRG participate in the NARC? God I hope so. My stupid shoveling-induced back clench has really curtailed my meters, and I'm afraid that 10K/day for Lent is a dream gone by.

But March 15-April 15 is a different story. Are we in?

Ducatista
2k Poster

Post by Ducatista » March 15th, 2007, 10:22 am

Ducatista wrote:I've been meaning to ask: will RPRG participate in the NARC? God I hope so. My stupid shoveling-induced back clench has really curtailed my meters, and I'm afraid that 10K/day for Lent is a dream gone by.

But March 15-April 15 is a different story. Are we in?
Bueller? ... Bueller?