Row Pain, Row Gain - Come on back everybody.

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
Kibi146
Paddler

Joining

Post by Kibi146 » December 18th, 2006, 12:38 pm

Hi everybody,
I am new to erging. I would love to join this group, but I can't figure out how to. I went to profile and I can't determine what I need to do. Please help me!!!
Thanks,
Kibi

Ducatista
2k Poster

Post by Ducatista » December 18th, 2006, 12:58 pm

I'm thinking a team might be a good motivator for me, esp once the HC is over. (Just passed 175, thank god. Nearly done.)

RPRG certainly fits with my raison d'erg. I've got just under 300K for the season; want my meters? I'd bring down the per-person avg, so I wanted to ask before I signed up.

albailey
Paddler

Post by albailey » December 18th, 2006, 8:03 pm

just got back on my rower after giving it 18 months off. in that time i managed to regain the 30 lbs i'd dropped, plus an extra 10.

*this time* i vow not to 'take a little break' after i reach my goal. ;)

i had been talking about rowing and getting back into shape for the past 6 months or so, but it took a wager by a couple coworkers to get me off the couch. since september i've logged a little over 600k, and dropped 22 pounds, so i've just passed the halfway point to my goal.

i did the skeleton crew, and just completed the holiday challenge, and found i enjoyed the motivating factor of both. i hope joining Row Pain, Row Gain will help keep my nose to the slide!

- al.

ck728
Paddler

Post Holiday Challenge

Post by ck728 » December 19th, 2006, 7:43 pm

Is anybody thinking about doing that virtual team thing after the HC?
I just came back to RPRG after an injury and would like to continue rowing. I could use the extra motivation.

albailey
Paddler

Re: Joining

Post by albailey » December 19th, 2006, 8:33 pm

Kibi146 wrote:Hi everybody,
I am new to erging. I would love to join this group, but I can't figure out how to. I went to profile and I can't determine what I need to do. Please help me!!!
Thanks,
Kibi
hi kibi,
login to your personal logbook.
click 'profile' (at top, next to 'logout' button), then 'edit profile' (below 'profile settings')
now scroll down to "University/Club Standings Affiliation" (it's near the bottom).
there should be a pulldown list of current clubs to choose from. choose 'Row Pain, Row Gain' from the pulldown.
click 'update profile' at the bottom of the page, and you should be 'all joined up' ;)

Kibi146
Paddler

Stupid technological question

Post by Kibi146 » December 20th, 2006, 8:30 am

Okay, so I finally figured out how to add this group to my profile. Now, I can't figure out how to get my meters to show up on the Row Pain Row Gain listing. Am I doing something wrong? HELP!!
Thanks,
Kibi

Ducatista
2k Poster

Post by Ducatista » December 21st, 2006, 4:31 pm

Ducatista wrote:...want my meters? I'd bring down the per-person avg, so I wanted to ask before I signed up.
I'm hoping silence meant "no permission necessary" rather than "no thanks," because I've just attached myself, barnacle-like, to RPRG.
Cheers,
Ann

RowBug
Paddler

how do I sign up?

Post by RowBug » December 23rd, 2006, 1:17 am

Hi All,
Planning to order my rower over Christmas break, how do I sign up for this RowPain, RowGain team? I need to loose weight, and if I'm dropping big-bucks on the rower I'm serious. Of course, your support is appreciated!! My goal is to loose about 55lbs or 14 stone.
Is there a link to sign up? I can't seem to find info on it.
Thanks!

RowBug
Paddler

how do I sign up?

Post by RowBug » December 23rd, 2006, 1:18 am

Hi All,
Planning to order my rower over Christmas break, how do I sign up for this RowPain, RowGain team? I need to loose weight, and if I'm dropping big-bucks on the rower I'm serious. Of course, your support is appreciated!! My goal is to loose about 55lbs or 14 stone.
Is there a link to sign up? I can't seem to find info on it.
Thanks!

RowBug
Paddler

Post by RowBug » December 23rd, 2006, 1:19 am

OK, OK...it's after midnight here...55lbs or 4 stone (not 14 as previously posted)...Cheers!

RowBug
Paddler

Post by RowBug » December 23rd, 2006, 1:20 am

OK, OK...it's after midnight here...55lbs or 4 stone (not 14 as previously posted)...Cheers!

artmom5
Paddler

Post by artmom5 » January 10th, 2007, 1:39 pm

:shock:
Happy New Year 2007
Now that the holidays have reeked havoc on our scale accuracy and our mental state, let's ROW.
My total lack of motivation which is hourly not even daily is similiar to everyone else's I'm sure...
Am trying to put the thought of (I can row for 15 minutes...that I can do...then when I am on the erg I will row for 30-40 minutes.
Any one else have mental games they play to row?

M.M.
Illinois
"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.” Mary Pickford 1893-1979

artmom5
Paddler

Post by artmom5 » January 10th, 2007, 1:45 pm

Ooh I forgot,
Welcome to all our new members...
We may not respond or write back everyday...but when you are erging...you're our teammate!
M.M.
p.s. We don't care how far or how fast you row...that is your goal...
Ours is the shared journey traveled!
"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.” Mary Pickford 1893-1979

Ducatista
2k Poster

Post by Ducatista » January 11th, 2007, 11:46 am

Thanks, artmom, and thanks to RPRG for having me. The JVC is a fantastic motivator. I'm rowing more now than I did for the HC, which is just great. January's a sorry excuse for a month, IMO, so I may as well spend it rowing. And rowing. And rowing.

rmaseles
Paddler

Post by rmaseles » January 13th, 2007, 2:02 am

Hi everyone, I just joined too-- I've had a Model C for years and it's about time I put it (and me) to work, shedding some weight.
artmom5 wrote: Any one else have mental games they play to row?
Many, many games, which probably expose me as more than a bit OCD. My regular one, the one that I manage to stick with, is that I move my hand position every minute to one of four positions. I don't know why, but that engages me just enough to take my mind off the discomfort-- sorry, I never reached the stage where I can embrace the pain. It's just pain...or at the moderate level at which I erg, discomfort. My obsessive nature also comes out in the fact that, while I know it would be good for me to do a variety of workouts, I tend to gravitate over and over again to some long, slowish distance, usually 10k. OK, that's *long* for me-- I'm sweaty and tired when I'm done.

I've taken to listening to audio books, which makes that close to 50 minutes I spend leisurely (or so you better-shape folks probably think) working my way to 10k seem to go, well, just a little more quickly.