Diabetic Success Story - Lost 40 pounds in 4 months

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
texasdiver
Paddler

diets

Post by texasdiver » November 4th, 2006, 1:17 am

For my own part I've found that I've had the most weightloss success when I focus least on food and for me that requires having all my food decisions eliminated.

My current diet which is working (25 lbs in 7 weeks so far) is extremely simple:

1. Weight-loss shake and coffee for breakfast. I'm using the HEB generic copy of the Slimfast Optima

2. Lean Cusine or Healthy Choice microwave meal for lunch

3. 100 calorie snack bar in late afternoon

4. Healthy Choice microwave dinner

5. 100 calorie bag of popcorn or pretzels with an apple for late night snack.

I'm not really hungry and I can stick with this diet because it is so simple. When I try to cook from cookbooks and rigorously follow things like the zone diet I just get too food obsessed and have a heck of a time getting portions correct. I absolutely need the pre-measured portions of the microwave dinners and shakes.

Yes I know I could probably do a whole lot better with the vegan china study type of diet. But I'm doing what I need to to limit my calorie intake. And it seems to be working.

What I've also done is buy a lot of different 100-calorie snack bars and snack packages. They sell a lot of them these days. That way I can allow myself 2 or 3 snacks/day and stay on the diet.

igoeja
2k Poster

New Info for Diabetics

Post by igoeja » November 4th, 2006, 7:00 am

I know that insulin, which I inject multiple times daily, makes one fatter, but I thought my regimen would have taken off more fat faster.

I follow a fairly high- protein, low-fat diet, the protein coming from soy, egg white, fish, and milk products, and the carbohydrate coming from a mix of sources, mostly complex sources but also simple. Generally, I limit myself to 2100 calories a day over 5 small meals, and workout 4 times a week.

When my nurse practitioner complimented me on my weight loss, I mentioned that I didn't think it was much, and that I should have lost more. She explained that type I diabetics lack more than insulin, they also lack amylin - I believe she meant exenatide - and amylin has been shown to increase weight loss in diabetics, as well as improve control.

medved
Paddler

Post by medved » December 29th, 2006, 10:24 am

texasdiver,

It seems a lot of unhealthy low energy chemistry you intake.

Why not cooked or steamed vegetables, poultry and fish with wholemeal cereals, fruits inlcuded ?

Ducatista
2k Poster

Post by Ducatista » December 29th, 2006, 11:31 am

medved wrote:texasdiver,

It seems a lot of unhealthy low energy chemistry you intake.

Why not cooked or steamed vegetables, poultry and fish with wholemeal cereals, fruits inlcuded ?
Fresh, whole food is better, no doubt. But the value of built-in portion control is significant. For some people, it's the only way to cut intake enough to shed weight.

texasdiver’s routine may not be suitable as a lifelong diet—but that's no reason not to use it for a while. The transition from premeasured, restrictive weight-loss intake to a fresher, more free-form maintenance lifestyle isn't so tough once you've got the psychic boost that comes from being happier with your shape.

igoeja
2k Poster

Agree on type of food, but...

Post by igoeja » December 29th, 2006, 11:43 am

Although I would agree on the healthfulness, and to some degree weight loss benefits, of vegetable, fruits, and whole grains, many people have issues with palatability.

Assuming the need to lose weight - most of us are aware of the pitfalls of body weight and BMI as assessment guides, particularly among the fitness crowd - one might opt for more processed foods, provided the foods enabled or enhanced weight loss via sustainability, and were generally healthful.

medved
Paddler

Post by medved » December 29th, 2006, 2:00 pm

And what after losing weight with "the program" ?
Changing lifestyle is also very important.

Texasdriver buy smaller china set ( for the chinese :wink: )

I also have some pounds over (about 22).

At first I tried to lose it with more excercise (squash and fitness), but it wasn't so efficient.
Now i take more care about my nutrition (less energy and stress) and started to lose weight.

BTW in my fitness club c2 model D came, so i'll give it a chance.
I used to row on old indor rower but it broke down. (it wasn't me :) )

PS. Congratulation to Graz34 :o