Another Beginner-

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
Jamier
Paddler

Another Beginner-

Post by Jamier » April 2nd, 2006, 7:52 pm

Ok, I had to do it. This ex-in-shape guy hit the wall with the inactivity thing. I had to listen to my body and it screamed- WORK ME OUT!!
I'm 49, and in pretty bad cardio shape. The muscle mass is still there but under a very visible layer of insulation.
Hmmm.... at 36 I was backpacking at 10k feet with at 40# pack... and to be reduced to this shape.... Oh well...
-- Ok enough of that...
I bought a used Concept B in excellent condition. It has the original pace meter on it. I received the training tape, and have just started.
- I created a personal log on the site, read the training material on the site and am just totally overwhelmed with the info and cannot decipher it.
- I just started with 5 mins about a week ago. I am now at 10 min and 2k meters.
I need to keep motivated! I burned a workout disc and am going to add more music.
- If anyone is in the San Francisco, Ca area, give me a holler.
Wish me luck.

Jamier

taiwan_girl
Paddler

Post by taiwan_girl » April 3rd, 2006, 1:24 pm

You sound like you are off to a great start! Keep going. :)

Jamier
Paddler

Post by Jamier » April 3rd, 2006, 9:17 pm

Thanks,
I have to keep up the momentem though, that's the hard part.
I'd like to find some people in my area that have Concepts and give a little encouragement.

Jamier

MomofJBN
2k Poster

Post by MomofJBN » April 4th, 2006, 12:45 pm

Jamier wrote:I'd like to find some people in my area that have Concepts and give a little encouragement.
There must be some folks in SF, but until then, that's what this board is for. We're good at encouragement and support. :D
Schenley
Wife of Jeff
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/momofjbn/dudes_small.jpg[/img] Mom of Jonathan (12), Benjamin (10), and Nicholas (8)

lowwall
Paddler

Post by lowwall » April 6th, 2006, 5:04 pm

Jamier wrote:Thanks,
I have to keep up the momentem though, that's the hard part.
I'd like to find some people in my area that have Concepts and give a little encouragement.

Jamier
I've got over 12 million meters and I've never even met an erger in real life (that I know about). But this site keeps me motivated. The free stuff every million meters is nice, especially the T-shirts. But I mostly use the Annual Meters Honors Boards (get to them from the "Challenges" tab) to keep me going. Note that the new rowing year starts May 1, so you'll soon be able to see yourself on the 1500+ or 2500+ boards.

Also check out the nonathlon http://www.nonathlon.com/. Don't worry about the other overachievers, just look at the improvements in your own scoreas you get fitter and faster.

pduck
Paddler

Post by pduck » April 6th, 2006, 5:17 pm

lowwall wrote:Also check out the nonathlon http://www.nonathlon.com/. Don't worry about the other overachievers, just look at the improvements in your own scoreas you get fitter and faster.

There are some really fast people on this board. It's easy to be intimidated. But I've found that everyone here is extremely helpful. Keep posting your progress, and definately start entering your times at the Nonathlon.
[color=darkred][size=75]M53 5'10 175lbs
Am I the only slow rower here?[/size][/color]

michaeln
Paddler

Post by michaeln » January 22nd, 2007, 1:26 pm

I'm in SF but haven't gotten started yet. Right now my C2 Model D is on the FedEx truck to be delivered today. I took a vacation day from work to wait for it. :D

albailey
Paddler

Post by albailey » January 24th, 2007, 2:28 pm

hey jamier, sounds like you're doing all the right stuff.

couple things i'd recommend: first, get a physical if you haven't had
one recently. second, a heart rate monitor. i've used a heart rate
monitor for the last couple years and i've found it very helpful in
keeping me focused on doing quality workouts.

i work san francisco (in the presidio) but live up in novato. i think
there's a local rowing club in the city, if you're at all interested in
actually rowing on the water.

there is some weight loss specific information on both the us and uk
concept2 sites, and the folks on the various forums are quick to help
with any questions that arise.

good luck! - al.

michaelb
2k Poster

Post by michaelb » January 24th, 2007, 2:47 pm

If I lived in California, I would find a way to get to the iron oarsman to row with Xeno at least once. That would help a lot in making sure your technique and form were sound right from the start.

http://www.gorow.com/index.html

For weight losss and general fitness, I would work on rowing longer, so if you are at 10 minutes now, work up to 20 minutes pretty quickly, and then up to 30 and longer over the next few months. I find that I don't get into the grove until 15-20 minutes in usually, so if you stop before that, you don't ever get to that sweet spot in your rows. The longer you row the more calories you burn and the more weight you will lose (there is some controversy regarding this, but the general principle is true).

Good luck and enjoy.
M 51 5'9'' (1.75m), a once and future lightweight
Old PBs 500m-1:33.9 1K-3:18.6 2K-6:55.4 5K-18:17.6 10K-38:10.5 HM-1:24:00.1 FM-3:07.13

michaeln
Paddler

Post by michaeln » January 24th, 2007, 10:02 pm

michaelb wrote:If I lived in California, I would find a way to get to the iron oarsman to row with Xeno at least once.
California is a big place. Xeno is about 400 miles away from me. It's not that much easier for me to get to him than for you to, especially since I don't own a car any more.

Alissa
2k Poster

Post by Alissa » January 24th, 2007, 10:35 pm

michaeln wrote:
michaelb wrote:If I lived in California, I would find a way to get to the iron oarsman to row with Xeno at least once.
California is a big place. Xeno is about 400 miles away from me. It's not that much easier for me to get to him than for you to, especially since I don't own a car any more.
Fortunately, intra-California flights can be had cheaply, if you're willing to look a bit. For instance I saw mid-week flights in mid-February at $53 (1-way) between San Francisco & Orange Co. on Southwest, as well as $39 (1-way) between Oakland & Long Beach on Jet Blue.

Presumably Xeno could give you more info on local housing, etc. if you were looking to overnight...

Alissa

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » January 25th, 2007, 1:24 am

[quote="Alissa
Fortunately, intra-California flights can be had cheaply, if you're willing to look a bit. For instance I saw mid-week flights in mid-February at $53 (1-way) between San Francisco & Orange Co. on Southwest, as well as $39 (1-way) between Oakland & Long Beach on Jet Blue.
Alissa[/quote]

I had to laugh at this one. No offense to you Alissa. It is just that every time I log onto the UK forum I see the ad that says fly to L.A. Ha. I sure wish I could. If I want to fly anywhere, I first have to drive to L.A. (or Ontario, O.C., Burbank, etc.). I was at Xeno's today, but that meant a 5-6 hour drive this morning (about 270 miles). I suppose that there are charter flights available from Bishop Airport, but I doubt if they are cheap and they are not exactly safe.

Bob S., currently at a friend's place in O.C. in anticipation of the Beach Sprints.

Alissa
2k Poster

Post by Alissa » January 25th, 2007, 11:32 am

Bob S. wrote:
Alissa wrote: Fortunately, intra-California flights can be had cheaply, if you're willing to look a bit. For instance I saw mid-week flights in mid-February at $53 (1-way) between San Francisco & Orange Co. on Southwest, as well as $39 (1-way) between Oakland & Long Beach on Jet Blue.
Alissa
I had to laugh at this one. No offense to you Alissa. It is just that every time I log onto the UK forum I see the ad that says fly to L.A. Ha. I sure wish I could. If I want to fly anywhere, I first have to drive to L.A. (or Ontario, O.C., Burbank, etc.). I was at Xeno's today, but that meant a 5-6 hour drive this morning (about 270 miles). I suppose that there are charter flights available from Bishop Airport, but I doubt if they are cheap and they are not exactly safe.

Bob S., currently at a friend's place in O.C. in anticipation of the Beach Sprints.
None taken! :) I'm glad you made it, and you're right that flights aren't available from lots of places. michaeln just happens to be lucky enough (since he's in SF) that he has pretty easy access to two major airports (usuing BART). My very best wishes for you at the Beach Sprints!

Alissa

michaeln
Paddler

Post by michaeln » January 25th, 2007, 11:51 am

Alissa wrote: michaeln just happens to be lucky enough (since he's in SF) that he has pretty easy access to two major airports (usuing BART).
Perhaps at some point I will go down there and see Xeno. But right now I am so out of shape and far off the mark that I don't need to pay an ex-Olympic star to laugh at me, I can do it myself for free. :lol:

Alissa
2k Poster

Post by Alissa » January 25th, 2007, 2:25 pm

michaeln wrote:
Alissa wrote: michaeln just happens to be lucky enough (since he's in SF) that he has pretty easy access to two major airports (usuing BART).
Perhaps at some point I will go down there and see Xeno. But right now I am so out of shape and far off the mark that I don't need to pay an ex-Olympic star to laugh at me, I can do it myself for free. :lol:
I'm pretty sure he wouldn't laugh at you! You might want to read his blog entry titled: "Rowing Technique for Beginners."

Alissa