Geezer not a wheezer...

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
GateDad
Paddler

Geezer not a wheezer...

Post by GateDad » January 21st, 2015, 10:59 am

OK, finally got a C2 with PM5 and assembled it late last night. I'd been saving my pennies and foregoing some other purchases over the years just to be able to own a C2. I will turn 60 in a few months, and realized that I needed to add in some stress relief activity. For the last 30 of my nearly 60 years I have struggled with excess weight. 2 years ago I joined Weight Watchers and lost almost 30 lbs. The year prior to joining WW I'd lost almost 20 lbs, my weight had been 224 lbs (got down to 204 before WW). I am 5'6" tall, I looklike a beach ball, to be honest. Over the last year I have backslid on my WW's program. I never did reach my goal weight, although I continued attending meetings and did not give up in my struggle to get back to a comfortable weight. One thing I realized in all of this was that the diet is the key, above all else, to _losing_ excess fat. It took me quite a while to understand and admit to myself that I am strongly addicted to sugar. On those days that I avoid the work candy dish and stay away from the vending machine, my hunger is greatly reduced and I am not tempted to eat the junk. However, when I get home I fall back into the familiar and self defeating habit of reaching for an easy, quick sugar high(cookies, candies, high sugar cereal, eg). After some reflection I see that simply changing my routine at home and engaging in some physical activity as soon as I walk in the door can help to ward off those temptations. To that end I had tried walking on a treadmill as well as stationary cycling. Both of those activities, ultimately, caused problems with my knees. (I'd bought the bike to strenghten the knees due to arthritis, but it had the opposite effect). And as much as I enjoy walking on the treadmill, after 15 minutes or so of moderate intensity, my knees would still ache at night after walking on the treadmill. Having once owned and used a piston arm style rower years ago, I remembered that I enjoyed rowing, and it gave me a real buzz when I was finished. Frankly, I had also had similar feelings after using my Nordic Track skier. The full body workout, free of the stress and joint impact of running, is what I need. It is my hope that I can supplant some of the mindless eating with 20-30 minutes every day of C2'ing. I forgot to mention that I also own a Bowflex home gym, as I feel that adding lost muscle is a key to _keeping_ the weight off. The Bowflex has done what I wanted it to do, but I seem to wax and wane in my strength training efforts. Partly that is due to disappointment with my body fat---not losing the fat when I was non-compliant with the WW program. From what I have learned about myself, a good, brief but intense strength workout (on Bowlfex or Nautilus style machines at the health club)does a nice job of adding muscle. But no amount of exercise(of any type)can remove 50 lbs of excess fat on its own. That's whay I am looking to the C2 as a stress buster, that will also burn some calories without negatively impacting my joints. I need a nice, safe way to occupy myself and burn off some of the stress of daily living.

Last night I hopped on the machine just very briefly, and was pleasantly delighted to experience the smooth, invigorating motion of the C2. Today when I get home I will sit on the machine, add some meters to the PM5, acclimate myself to the rythm and get lost in the rowing. 3 months from now I hope that this new, healthier routine will have taken the place of the sugar fix and lead me to dropping that blubber!

Lou

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Re: Geezer not a wheezer...

Post by Bob S. » January 21st, 2015, 11:53 am

It helps to have fresh fruit around to use in place of the less healthy sugar sources. Of course it is still sugar, but it is moderated by pectin so it is metabolized more slowly and there are other valuable nutrients in fruits that you can't get from cookies and candy.

Bob S.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » January 21st, 2015, 12:28 pm

For people with real eating troube, going high fat/ low carb is often the only solution. You need control over your bloodsugar levels. Overweight and carbs are a very poor combination.
Go all the the way of go nowhere. WW is just about cal. A dead street.

Search on te net, plenty to find.

GateDad
Paddler

Post by GateDad » January 23rd, 2015, 3:58 pm

Update: Did my first semi-formal workout on the C2 last night. I say semi-formal because I am still in the getting used to it stage. In any event, I did 10 minutes with damper setting at 3 and average stroke rate of 21. No pain, no "issues", I feel fine today, but I am not going to fool myself. I need time to fully acclimate myself to this. Funny thing happened, my PM5 was set to Polish, not English. At the time I didn't know how to reset it(I later did and it's fine now), so I could not pair up my Polar H7. Later tonight I will do that. Also, the machine did not come with a USB thumb drive(or if it did I missed it). No big deal as I can get one for next to nothing at any drug store. The seat did not seem particulalry uncomfortable, but after a 45 minute session I will see if I still come to the same conclusion. After only that first session it is premature to make any assumptions, but it does seem that rowing on the C2 will be an activity that I can and will do for a long time. By nature I am not a competitive person, so I may never join in on any organized races, in person or on line. Seeing me steadily adding to the meters and speed that I row, alleviating my stress levels and then dropping some excess weight will make it all worthwhile. Surprisingly, and this is truly shockig in my family, my wife asked me if this is something she could do? For 37 years I have been trying to interest her in becoming active, whether it was riding a bicycle ergometer(she tried that but didn't stick with it) or using Nordic Track(would not even try getting on it). Maybe this will be what does the trick. Our entire family needs to drop excess body fat and become more active.

One comment that should have been obvious to me: The C2 is long! I knew it required 8+ feet to use, but until you see what that really is you don't realize what it means. That's OK, I set it up in my family room, rearranged the 46" TV and watched Netflix...it was great.

Lou

DanielJ
2k Poster

Post by DanielJ » January 25th, 2015, 6:51 pm

You'll be fine. Make sure you keep reading this forum, specifically to get/keep your technique in check, and you'll settle into it. Don't push too hard at first lest you burn out. Keep workouts varied -- so, as you did 10 minutes last time, perhaps do two 7-minute intervals with a 5-minute rest next time, maybe the first one @ 20 spm and the second @ 19 spm, aiming to stroke a bit harder in the second interval. Baby steps, though. Eventually you won't bother with the TV as it'll be a distraction instead of, well, a distraction.
30, 6'2 (1.88m); 179 lb (81 kg)
Learning, improving, getting stronger, and wanting more.
Recent tests: 1:41.7/500 for 1k; 1:34.9/500 for 2 minutes

geoirish
Paddler

Post by geoirish » January 25th, 2015, 8:10 pm

I am 71 years old and have finally entered into an 82 week medically supervised weight loss program. For 16 weeks I only eat the six very restricted meals that I buy from the program. I have done this because I lack the self control to really take the weight off. I would suggest that you talk with your doctor or health insurance provider to see what might be available where you live.
Mainly, daily activity is necessary to accomplish building muscle and replacing fat, which is why WW probably did not work. Also, it is very hard to stay motivated when you remain flabby after losing weight.
Also getting enough sleep is essential.
I came across this book which everyone might find helpful: "Row Daily, Breathe Deeper, Live Better: A Guide to Moderate Exercise."
I am getting my exercise from fairly strenuous spin cycling for at least one hour 3x per week. I am also considering buying a home TRX. It is a set of straps and many exercises and stretches invented by a Navy Seal. It will allow me to use my body weight to improve my fitness and strength.
In between your sessions on the C2, go out for walks. Bring your family with you. Good luck. I will check back to see how you are doing and report my progress.

GateDad
Paddler

Post by GateDad » January 26th, 2015, 7:13 am

Thanks all for your comments and support. Yesterday I did 20 minutes at 20 SPM, HR was 110 on average. Am a little bit stiff and sore but since I have ben careful not to overdo it and have been watching my form, I feel like I am on my way. As I mentioned in my original post, I don't see the C2 as a way to burn off the excess fat. Instead it is a way to burn off excess stress. In regards to my Weight Watchers journey, lost another pound, that is just short of 4 lbs over last 3 weeks. Personally, the issue has been sticking to the WW program, not losing fat (if I stick with the program). WW has an additional component, one that calls for no formal food weighing, just concentrating on low salt, low fat, low sugar eating...lots of fiber, water and healthy foods. I have been mixing between the regular/traditional "points" program and this other approach. I have gotten my weight down as low as 150 lbs using WW, so it's a matter of compliance.

Will be doing some snow clearing today and tomorrow, got to watch that stress on my back. Othwrwie I will be back to being more active today.

Lou

DanielJ
2k Poster

Post by DanielJ » January 26th, 2015, 5:49 pm

I hope for your sake that in the longer term you can ditch the Weight Watchers.

I can't think of many things more damaging, psychologically, than paying somebody to tell you how to lose weight. Also, weight is not fitness (many of us are trying to gain weight to improve erg scores!), and calorie counting is, frankly, utterly useless. You use calories by sleeping; your digestive system uses calories; your heart, as a muscle, uses calories; your brain uses calories etc. If you get a heart rate monitor, you'll see that your heart rate increases even when you speak, and it also fluctuates throughout the day, so, counting calories is pointless unless you can precisely monitor your every move. Even putting in the effort to count the calories uses calories!

Weight Watchers is a business. My opinion is that their programmes are designed so that you succeed wonderfully enough to make you happy for a short period, and then you fail because its demands are ridiculous (especially if you're putting in any sort of effort to get fit - i.e. moving your body), and then you want to go back and pay them for their rubbish again.

It doesn't help that they have their members counting to the nearest pound, either. I've eaten steaks weighing a pound, and I think I might even defecate a pound tonight. I'm one of the lame light guys on here -- I really, really need to put weight on -- but even I fluctuate 5 or more pounds a day.

I've seen family members go through this crap over and over again, so I hope to see you succeed in your quest to get healthy.

GateDad
Paddler

Post by GateDad » January 26th, 2015, 6:16 pm

Daniel:

Thanks for your input, even if I disagree with you on some points. Fact is that calories are simply a measurement of heat. WW actually does not count calories, they use what are called points. Obviously the calories are counted in some fashion, though. I have tried in the past to lose excess body fat, and WW's has been the best of the various methods I have tried. Once a person has a significant amount of body fat over their ideal weight, it can be very difficult to lose that extra fat. There are a ton of reasons why a person accumulates excess body fat...I understand that such fat has been biologicaslly and historically necessary for human survival in the past. Many people in developed countries eat without thinking, and fail to do any meaningful strength training to account for the natural loss of muscle as we age. I am one of those people. if it is true that the average male loses 1% muscle every year since age 21 or so, then that adds up. There is no way that I know of to simply lose that excess fat and at the same time build back lost muscle on my own. I need the assistance and guidance of a group. I don't take it personally that you have a sour opinion of WW's, you are entitled to your opinion and I am sure your intentions are to help. Most of us, though, are not naturally skinny, and have a difficult time with losing unwanted body fat. The only way to really lose excess fat is by reducing food intake so that the body creates a deficit. Rowing can help, but nowhere near enough to make it the ideal and preferred method. "Dieting", as most of us have learned, is easy to do but hard to be successful at. Sticking with it is more than determination, willpower, desire, etc. Sometimes we have to look at the many reasons why we overeat, or why we eat the wrong foods in the amounts we do. For me it's been sugar, and I suspect for a large majority of those who are overfat. I accept responsibility for my body, but I have to admit that the attraction of simple carbohydrate laden food is powerful and damaging. It is a battle and even if I were to be at my ideal weight/body fat%, I can backslide in a heartbeat. None of the commercial programs have better success rates than WW's, even if their's is far from stellar. Reading the eating plans of weight loss and fitness experts such as Ellington Darden, we see similar plans to WW's. It's really a matter of finding what works for you. And then you have to go further and see why you continmue to have problems. Many of us have to fight our demons. I am getting there. I weighed 132 lbs when I graduated high school. At 5'6" height, I was probably right where I should have been. I cannot see myself there again, but I should l be able to get to around 150(approaching 60 years of age, I have to concede it gets harder as I age). I'll keep you posted and we will see how all of this turns out.

Again then, thank you for your sincere advice.

Lou

GateDad
Paddler

Post by GateDad » January 30th, 2015, 9:16 am

Starting to develop a rythm now. It's been a few moderate workouts so far, the only issue(if I can call it that) is the lower back. No pain, but it will take time to get used to it being able to tolerate longer rowing sessions. I ended up setting up my KIndle Fire on the machine(using a tablet stand and some electrical tape I was able to safely set this up); the Kindle is at eye height. I bought an extended line for audio to my headphones. Last night, 20 minutes went by without much difficulty. My legs were a little sore, but they feel fine today. Recognized that familiar aerobic draw that that leads to the relaxation that comes after your get into a groove. Not strong, not sustained, but it was there and I liked it. I will continue to slowly and carefully add meters and speed/intensity to my rowing. Will further learn about DF, although I seem to be grasping it.

Also, I had purchased, about 6 months ago, "Row Daily, Breathe Deeper, Live Better". It's been read 3 times so far, and I am trying to assimilate the general nature of the book, and how the author suggests one approaches rowing(and the concept of daily exercise). As I had previously mentioned, it's not about calories burned for me. It's about establishing a pattern of healthier living, reducing my stress and all that goes with that. So far, so good.

Lou

GateDad
Paddler

Post by GateDad » February 2nd, 2015, 11:06 am

Another workout, feeling good. I have yet to post it to the log book because my computer froze up on me Saturday morning. I'll do another moderate session this evening and will post both. I have to admit that the soreness that I experience after walking for an equal length of time on my treadmill is not apparent. I forgot to activate my H7 monitor so my HR won't show, but I do recall that my HR seems to be in the correct zone. It will be interesting and fun to note the HR dropping in a few weeks or, see the intensity and meters rowed increasing and having the HR stay the same. My technique is getting smoother, and I am finding it easier to forget that I am rowing, that is the time passes and I am not wishing that this woud get over with.

One thing I need to work on(and this is common with overweight people)is getting more sleep. There are plenty of articles dealing with sleep deprivation and weight loss, cortisol, etc. I know what I have to do, but how to get myself to do it is the challenge. We tend to fall into a rythm, even if that rythm is not the best for us. I do find it easier to fall alseep, though, since starting Indoor Rowing. Prostate issues don't help, as (like clockwork) I awaken after 5 hours every night. Oh well, you deal with what you can.

Lou

GateDad
Paddler

Post by GateDad » February 4th, 2015, 9:05 am

Last night was a good workout. I was able to increase SPM as well as distance. Not that it is "easy" but settling into a rythm is becoming easier and I am finding it fun to do 30 second bursts of speed. The only limitation seems to be my lower back, as I am careful to not overdo it. I think that I will try to add 5 more minutes to my sessions, see how that feels. My goal is to eventually work up to 60 minutes every day. That, though, will take months, and I realize it. Feeling some soreness in my chest(normal I am sure), as well as my legs are a bit sore. Funny that while rowing I never feel that my legs are working all that hard. However, the next morning I have mild soreness in the legs, so obviously they are being taxed.

DanielJ
2k Poster

Post by DanielJ » February 5th, 2015, 2:26 pm

Be sure to keep an eye on the rest of the forum, especially discussion on technique. This will be vital as you push towards 60 minutes. Good technique makes it all easier/possible.

And introduce some weight training if you can, even if light and even if small spots. This will keep your body feeling sharper in the long run.

GateDad
Paddler

Post by GateDad » February 12th, 2015, 9:28 am

Thanks DJ, and yes I am aware of the value of strength training. As useful as the C2 may be, it is not going to supplant resistance training. I'd backed off of my strength workouts (actually all of my workouts)the last 6 months or so. Now that I feel I have started to acclimate well to the C2, it is time to reintroduce myself to resistance training.

Update on my progress: Did a nice, moderatley intense 30 minutes last night(some of that was warm up and cool down). HR is good(I was in the 120's-I think my range should be around 125 for my age at 80%), SPM good(26), damper set at 3,technique improving. As others have mentioned on this board(and DJ, too)form is critical. I have spent a good deal of time watching Youtube C2 form related videos. Like most new to rowing, it is all too easy to "hit it hard" and then suiffer a setback from back pain, due to the underlying muscle being weaker than can support strenuous rowing. In time my back will get stronger, in fact I already feel it...less discomfort while rowing as I have upped the intensity and duration. My motto(for now)is "Slow and steady wins the race". Of course, no race, but you get my drift. This morning, legs are a bit sore, but not pained.

I weighed in on Saturday at .6 lbs less than the week before. That makes 5 lbs in 5 weeks, exactly what I would like to see...consistent fat loss. Pants are fitting a tad looser. After the workout last night I had that burst of energy where I wanted to bound up the steps from my workout room, etc. Not quite the "runners high" but getting there.

Lou

DanielJ
2k Poster

Post by DanielJ » February 12th, 2015, 2:11 pm

So you have in mind a pace now that you can at least comfortably maintain @ 26 spm for 30 minutes.

(Slight segue here: this is quite high, actually, but I suspect it might be easier for you than for me because you're shorter. But just in case, check on the timing of your stroke. It should be something like two parts recovery to one part drive. The drive is quite a snappy action, with the back staying sturdy and the quads pushing through hard... and then the recovery is a relaxed return to the start position. You can row strapless to encourage this, though rowing strapless usually limits us to about 20, maybe 21 spm.)

Try this: learn to row @ 20 spm, 22 spm and 24 spm. These paces will most likely be a bit slower -- at least initially -- than your current comfortable 26 spm pace. Getting a feel for the rhythm of these rates, especially at the lower end, will help you develop efficiency in your stroke. Then your 30-minute rows can be done in 10-minute splits, say at 20, 22 and 20 spm, or 20, 22 and 24 or whatever.

One other thing: be sure to warm up with a very light 5-10 minutes before you start your 30-minute pieces. And when I say very light, that could even be at a pace a minute/500m slower than your usual 30-minute pace. Just make sure you feel warm when you start your work piece.