Assessment of RowPro V2.0 and new race system technology

Topics relating to online racing and training with 3rd party software.
chgoss
10k Poster

Post by chgoss » April 25th, 2006, 10:03 pm

Had a great session tonight with 3 folks, came across a crash in 2.0, to reproduce:
- create a scheduled race, make sure that chat window is closed
- proceed to race, finish it up.
- after the race, as RM, if you start up the chat window, it will crash RP everytime (happenned to me twice)
- if someone else launches the chat window before the RM does, everything works fine.

tomraven
Paddler

Post by tomraven » April 27th, 2006, 3:11 pm

Hi

I have Row Pro and I love it. I have only raced online once and that is when I created a race to get under 8:00 and we made it.

My sugggestion is to come up with a way whereby everyone starts a handicap race together, but at different distances, dependant on the splits they are aiming for. This way, us slower rowers wil be less intimidated. We will not hold up the faster rowers as everyone will start at the same time, but race different distances and all finish together.

The race is therefore time based rather than distance based.

What do you think? Can it be done?

polaco
500m Poster

Post by polaco » April 28th, 2006, 4:59 am

tomraven wrote:Hi

I have Row Pro and I love it. I have only raced online once and that is when I created a race to get under 8:00 and we made it.

My sugggestion is to come up with a way whereby everyone starts a handicap race together, but at different distances, dependant on the splits they are aiming for. This way, us slower rowers wil be less intimidated. We will not hold up the faster rowers as everyone will start at the same time, but race different distances and all finish together.

This is already done, you can set a time based race.
52y 1.89m 98g

0.5K 1:25.1, 1K 3:15.7, 2K 6:27.9, 5K 17:22.6, 6K 20:53.6, 10K 36:55.9, 30' 8085m, 60' 15698, HM 1:20:47.2, FM 2:51:17
Lo que no nos mata nos hace más fuertes

tomraven
Paddler

Post by tomraven » April 28th, 2006, 7:36 am

I am sure you can set a time based race, but you all start at the same time and finish miles apart. I would prefer starting apart and finishing together.

rowan
Paddler

Post by rowan » April 28th, 2006, 9:14 am

tomraven wrote:Hi

Tom,

You should come and row some more on RowPro. I for one would like to see some more slower rowers on there. I don't think anyone minds if you finish behind them, there's no need to feel intimidated.
I did a 10k the other night with a guy who was so far ahead of me that he could have gone and boiled an egg while waiting for me to finish. When he went off at 1:53 I thought he was just messing around with the pace, getting a fast few meters in, but he didn't slow down, on the contrary :shock: he speeded up a bit. Point is I don't think he minded that I was so much slower, and I didn't mind him zooming away out of sight almost immediately; it was just nice to have someone else to row with that session, I don't think I would have gone 10k on my own I was feeling lazy.
I also had the impression that Rowpro was only about very fast guys and gals hammering away in a very competitive setting, but it's not. Often there are slower training sessions going on (if you keep an eye on the oarbits website at www.digitalrowing.com you will find plenty suitable sessions).

Rowan