ErgData intermittently failing to record to Garmin Connect

Topics relating to online racing and training with 3rd party software.
MojoGene
Paddler

ErgData intermittently failing to record to Garmin Connect

Post by MojoGene » April 16th, 2024, 12:26 pm

I have been having this very strange behavior for the past few months. Today's workouts provide a classic case. I did 1,000M on the rowing machine, saved it, confirmed that it was saved in the C2 Log. Then checked Garmin Connect and confirmed that it was properly recorded there, too.

Then I did another 1,000M. Same results. Properly recorded in both the Concept2 Log and in Garmin Connect.

Then I did a 2,000M workout. Same results. Properly recorded in both the Concept2 Log and in Garmin Connect.

Then I did two additional 1,000M workouts. Different results. Both workouts were properly recorded in the Concept2 Log, but NOT in Garmin Connect.
No matter how many times I refresh both apps, the last two workouts would not show in Garmin Connect.

Yesterday, the results were similar. I did 5 separate workouts. The 3rd workout failed to show in Garmin Connect.

This pattern of intermittent recording failures has been going on for a while.

Any advice appreciated!

MojoGene
Paddler

Re: ErgData intermittently failing to record to Garmin Connect

Post by MojoGene » April 17th, 2024, 11:42 am

Update. New day, same results. Did six 1,000M workouts. The first 5 recorded as expected in both ErgData and Garmin Connect. The 6th workout failed to record in Garmin Connect.

DavidA
10k Poster

Post by DavidA » April 17th, 2024, 4:41 pm

MojoGene wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 11:42 am
Update. New day, same results. Did six 1,000M workouts. The first 5 recorded as expected in both ErgData and Garmin Connect. The 6th workout failed to record in Garmin Connect.
You're just doing too many workouts :lol: (I guess it figures no one does more than 5.)

David
63 y / 70 kg / 172 cm / 5 kids / 17 grandkids :)
Received my model C erg 18-Dec-1994
my log

MojoGene
Paddler

Post by MojoGene » April 22nd, 2024, 1:39 pm

Dave:

Yes, I probably should have my head examined, but that will be the subject of a different thread! Actually, I am in the home stretch of the 2023-24 season and I am trying to beat last year's total meters.

Anyway, this morning I did 5 workouts, four 1KM and one 2KM. The first four recorded properly in ErgData/C2 Online Log and in Garmin Connect, but the last on only recorded in ErgData/C2 Online Log.

I suspect there is an issue between the C2 Uploader App and Garmin Connect, but I am surprised that I seem to be the only experiencing the problem.

Sakly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Sakly » April 23rd, 2024, 1:19 am

I connected Garmin many month ago, never had an issue. But I log 3 workouts at max: warmup - specific workout - cooldown.
Mostly only logging a single workout from a steady.
Probably it's related to the amount of workouts. Wouldn't make any sense to me, but it's the only difference I see.
Male - '80 - 82kg - 177cm - Start rowErg Jan 2022
1': 358m
4': 1217m
30'r20: 8068m
30': 8,283m
60': 16,222m
100m: 0:16.1
500m: 1:27.1
1k: 3:07.8
2k: 6:37.1
5k: 17:39.6
6k: 21:03.5
10k: 36:01.5
HM: 1:18:40.1
FM: 2:52:32.6
My log

Tsnor
10k Poster

Post by Tsnor » April 26th, 2024, 1:49 pm

EMAIL concept2 directly. give the details you posted here, date/time of workout and your logbook id from your profile page. (Logbook ID: XXXXXXX). They are responsive. email is info@concept2.com

For now as a work around you can manually create an entry on Garmin connect using manual activity in the upper right of the web client interface (i don't often use the phone app for GC, so don't know how to do it there). I find GC ignores manual entries for many things including training load, so this is not a perfect work around.

Or pretty sure you can export the missing workouts from C2 log and import into Garmin connect (but I have not done this). If you do export/import please post saying if it works.

On the concept2 log: Go into the details page for the workout that didn't transfer. In lower right corner is a section titled "Download Stroke Data". Click the FIT button to download as a FIT file.

On garmin connect import the FIT file. Import is next to manual activity on the web page, not sure where it is on the android/apple app.

Aside, i got a Forerunner 265 watch. It directly connects to the Concept2, so I stopped replicating from the C2 log to garmin. Instead I have the PM5 hooked to both my watch (ant+ FE-C) and to Ergdata(BTLE). "ANT+ FE-C for the RowErg -- On some newer Garmin watches (such as the the Fenix 6), you can add the PM5 as a "fitness equipment (FE)" sensor. This allows you to use the "Row Indoor" activity with complete workout data." You need to enable this in the PM5 see https://www.concept2.com/news/connectin ... ces-to-pm5

JaapvanE
10k Poster

Post by JaapvanE » April 26th, 2024, 2:25 pm

Tsnor wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 1:49 pm
Or pretty sure you can export the missing workouts from C2 log and import into Garmin connect (but I have not done this). If you do export/import please post saying if it works.

On the concept2 log: Go into the details page for the workout that didn't transfer. In lower right corner is a section titled "Download Stroke Data". Click the FIT button to download as a FIT file.

On garmin connect import the FIT file. Import is next to manual activity on the web page, not sure where it is on the android/apple app.
I have done this quite often, works fine. You even get the C2 logo and everything.

Please do observe that the option to download a FIT file is only available when there is stroke data. So a workout that is uploaded via USB cable or stick after a workout (so a process via PC instead of ErgData or ErgZone) can result in a workout that can't be downloaded as a FIT.

Oranj
Paddler

Post by Oranj » July 7th, 2024, 2:43 pm

I had this today, running the latest PM5 firmware and Ergdata. At the end of my interval session Ergdata seemed to freeze, almost as if it was trying to add another ghost interval to the end of my session. It recorded the splits and HR etc. and those display on the app and the logbook entry https://log.concept2.com/profile/914465/log/89777704 . However, no FIT file was saved in the logbook and nothing was uploaded to Garmin Connect.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » July 7th, 2024, 4:07 pm

That entry is marked as private. So you'll need to unlock it or grab a screen shot.