RowPro is horrible for Mac / Parallels --

Topics relating to online racing and training with 3rd party software.
Nomad33fw
Paddler

Re: RowPro is horrible for Mac / Parallels --

Post by Nomad33fw » May 23rd, 2015, 1:02 pm

I agree with Carl. I love the "video game" aspect of RowPro. Even if the only person I have been able to row against so far has been my self from previous rows. RowPro just needs to improve the social aspect in my opinion, make it easier for people to connect as row against each other virtually or live. If DigitalRowing developed an iPad app it may help with this.

Livio Livius
1k Poster

Post by Livio Livius » May 23rd, 2015, 2:05 pm

I think RowPro is missing the boat ( :lol: ). Look what currently is going on in virtual cycling like Zwift and TrainerRoad. If RowPro doesn't quickly move into that direction it will be outdated within next 2-3 years as other app developments will come sooner than later.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » May 24th, 2015, 1:55 am

Nomad33fw wrote:I agree with Carl. I love the "video game" aspect of RowPro. Even if the only person I have been able to row against so far has been my self from previous rows. RowPro just needs to improve the social aspect in my opinion, make it easier for people to connect as row against each other virtually or live. If DigitalRowing developed an iPad app it may help with this.
Live online rowing is already here for the PC version, has been for years. The online community is fantastic with live chat and live rowing.

Yes its going to get outdated if it cannot run on multiple platforms and future improvements are obvious, the problem is there really is not a whole lot of money to be made from this software. Concept 2 really need to buy RowPro and pour a load of money into it to compliment their product rather than a separate company trying to make money on it solo.

Whats it needs is obvious.

Better graphics in the form of choosing what your rower looks like age and build wise not just sex. Older and younger people then no longer have to explain to everyone why they are going slower. Ultimately you will just stand in front of your Skype camera and it will take your image and create you in the digital world.

Venue racing for the 2K like they already had at the world champs a couple of years back with the spectator stand and everything at the finish line. The roar of the crowd in the last 300m or so was fantastic.

Venue rowing at different lakes and courses around the world that incorporates bridges and much more in the changing scenery department, currently its like racing the Tour de France round a velodrome.

The core product is now excellent, I ran out of suggestions on improving the "Numbers" and they have now been introduced into the software, things like live SPM on screen for all the rowers and only the "Sort" from first to last onscreen live is all that remains, but for the graphics the sky is the limit.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

Nomad33fw
Paddler

Post by Nomad33fw » May 24th, 2015, 5:37 am

Yeah I know the online is there, just haven't ever found anyone available to row with. My schedule is sporadic and the scheduling technique they are using just doesn't work well for me. I've only ever found one person online to chat with and he was setting up a session for the next day that I couldn't make. It would be nice if I could see 'friend' you, do a 2000 meter with you added as a pace boat.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » May 24th, 2015, 6:50 pm

Possible reasons no one else is online.

1. Your not in a great time zone like me and the rowing population is limited. Yes I have the UK but they have to row early morning and most people prefer to row in the evening after work not before it.

2 .Schedule your rows in advance so others can see them and join in. Many users just don't do this and you can see that the scheduled rows look quite different from the results. Just jumping online and expecting someone else to be there, let alone wanting to row the same distance/time just doesn't happen by accident.

3. Schedule a popular row like a 30 minute. Time is better than distance, that way everyone finishes at the same time. Slower people hate rowing a distance when you finish minutes in front of them and hate it even more when you don't bother to hang about at the finish for a minute or two and just bale on them in the post row chat.

4. Racing is just not that popular. I setup an event for New Zealand way in advance and in the weekend and like three people turned up, two of which just wanted to turn up for support :lol:

RowPro is great but it still needs to hit critical mass in terms of the number of people using it online. To my amazement 80% of people must buy it and never row online, even if it was only a quick row and they row by themselves.

It will come of age when mobile devices allow Gym users to use RowPro but this is still years away due to the slow implementation of Bluetooth into the monitor, let alone RowPro becoming an App.
Carl Watts.

summereo3
Paddler

Post by summereo3 » May 24th, 2015, 10:19 pm

summereo3 wrote:when I spotted an ad for RowPro,Casesam a rowing simulator that works with the Concept 2 Model D—the highest-rated rowing machine in our tests—I decided to check it out.

Nomad33fw
Paddler

Post by Nomad33fw » May 24th, 2015, 10:37 pm

With all that I would still say RowPro is the best thing going. Digital Rowing just put my setup on their Facebook page. I am running a 2010 Mac Mini and Parallels on a 43" Plasma. I'm a police officer and I work the night shift. When I'm working I generally get in a 5k run, luckily work for a department that takes fitness seriously and allows us to workout will working. When I'm off its RowPro that keeps me motivated. I generally try to get in 30 minute or at a minimum a hard 2000
Meter row.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » May 26th, 2015, 12:27 am

Nomad33fw wrote:With all that I would still say RowPro is the best thing going. Digital Rowing just put my setup on their Facebook page. I am running a 2010 Mac Mini and Parallels on a 43" Plasma. I'm a police officer and I work the night shift. When I'm working I generally get in a 5k run, luckily work for a department that takes fitness seriously and allows us to workout will working. When I'm off its RowPro that keeps me motivated. I generally try to get in 30 minute or at a minimum a hard 2000
Meter row.
Could not agree more, any other App is starting 10 years behind RowPro which was an evolution of the E-Row which must be 20 years old by now.

Great set-up I also use an old 42" Plasma that was just getting thrown in the bin due to poor resolution and intermittent sound but its all you need with the current graphics.

I hope Digital Rowing come out with a Lite version that just has the Online rowing and you could still choose a quick row to row by yourself if you choose, that way you get drawn into the online rowing and boost the numbers actively using it.
Carl Watts.