Longest Continual Row Record attempt

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
ErgAddict
Paddler

Longest Continual Row Record attempt

Post by ErgAddict » November 21st, 2023, 11:05 pm

Anyone out there that has planned/planned and completed a row over 36 hours?

I need some advice for how to prepare my body for the feat as well as tips, tricks, and lifelines during the adventure.

The goal I need to beat is some 63 odd hours. I've been planning for about 11 months now but there isn't much information on the internet about how to go about something such as this.

So if anyone out there has some hot takes I'd love to hear them, and no, no comment will deter me.

I plan to do it the last week in May so I've got some time. I'm on a college rowing team so I'll have an aerobic base but will that be enough is the question.

As well as what forms of brain stimulants are most viable and effective for performance and to what level should they be used. Also, I'll be getting a seat pad form C2 but are there any other hacks I should be aware of to stave off the pelvic floor pain. Also what time of a stroke should I be taking and what approximate split as well as rate?

Hopefully someone has some advice lol

Ombrax
10k Poster

Re: Longest Continual Row Record attempt

Post by Ombrax » November 22nd, 2023, 12:05 am

ErgAddict wrote:
November 21st, 2023, 11:05 pm
I'll be getting a seat pad
First, props to you for trying this. (although I think anyone considering this sort of effort ought to have their head examined ; ) )

I'd put some effort into researching seat padding, and trying out different options. As you probably already know, there are a number of choices, not just the basic pad C2 sells. Others here, who have had more issues with butt pain will probably have a lot more info so I'd check with them. (there are a few threads on the topic)

Good luck, and keep us up to date on how your training is going.

(I doubt I could row just 6 hours, even at a crazy-slow pace of 3:00. I suppose frequent breaks could make it manageable, but that sort of thing is nuts! )

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » November 22nd, 2023, 1:59 am

Wow, best of luck. I've done 12 hours and I have occasionally flirted with the idea of doing a 24 hour, but never committed to it.

Butt pain wasn't an issue for me. It used to be but it eventually stopped happening, so now I don't use any seat padding at all. Hopefully that'll happen for you too, but I can't offer advice on any pads.

My appetite disappeared, so make sure you have plenty of gels / powders and protein drinks. I really like Tailwind powders. Caffeine helped a bit but the response was blunted, so adrenaline and general energy was probably the main source.

I settled on r20 and circa 2:18 pace, but it is very dependent on what is right for you, so don't assume this is correct or best. Maybe I'd go r18 if I was aiming for a time rather than distance as I'm assuming the accumulation of the motion will become attritional.

What is your training like so far, and what do you plan to do up until May?

Ime, fitness isn't really the issue, as long as it is there to at least a good level. It's far more about mental strength and controlling the mind games. Making sure you always keep framed your 'why' is essential. I'd also recommend you do it for charity as when you see donations coming in, it really helps to galvanise your resolve.
50 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

JaapvanE
10k Poster

Post by JaapvanE » November 22nd, 2023, 2:53 am

For me, chaffing gel under the armpits is a must on the HM and beyond. Small irritations quickly develop in huge issues on long pieces, and for me that is rubbing a sweaty armpit.

Another is decent ventilation and temperature management. I notice that in my room, CO2 levels spike when rowing with windows closed, so longer pieces actually require an open window to bring fresh air. Staying in a specific temperature is also a thing (not too cool, certainly not too hot). During rowing that translates to two fans (one is a Wahoo Headwind that adapts to my HR), but also a fleece poncho during starts/stops.

Boredom. I tried Netflix but trying to read subtitles made me seasick. Concert video's worked, but there are only so much good concerts. I now use EXR, where having some friends join me helps, especially when they know you are limited to a specific pace and are willing to adapt. It tends to take my mind off splits/times/distances and switch to staying with a friend, which is much more stimulating for me. But it might not be your cup of tea.

Good luck, it is an incredible feat you are attempting!

Yankeerunner
10k Poster

Post by Yankeerunner » November 22nd, 2023, 11:33 am

For seat padding it's hard to beat small-cell bubblewrap. I've found it to be better than any seat pad, and I've tried several.

Eventually the butt gets used to it, as Dangerscouse has noted. I now have no trouble doing a FM without any padding, and I have no natural padding at 5'10" and 148lbs. I've never attempted anything longer than a FM though, so no advice there. During my first year of erging anything longer than 20 minutes had the butt screaming. It gets better.
55-59: 1:33.5 3:19.2 6:55.7 18:22.0 2:47:26.5
60-64: 1:35.9 3:23.8 7:06.7 18:40.8 2:48:53.6
65-69: 1:38.6 3:31.9 7:19.2 19:26.6 3:02:06.0
70-74: 1:40.2 3:33.4 7:32.6 19:50.5 3:06:36.8
75-76: 1:43.9 3:47.7 7:50.2 20:51.3 3:13:55.7

ErgAddict
Paddler

Post by ErgAddict » November 23rd, 2023, 10:46 pm

Thanks for all the advice all!!

I will definitely keep the chaffing problem in mind although I haven't had any problems with it while erging. Only minimal issues on some of my longer runs where there are more contact points of rubbing.

Okay yeah for the bubble wrap, I will definitely have some on hand once the problem arises. I haven't had any big issues yet on the FMs I've done, I did have some problems on a century row I did a couple years ago but it was overcome with a little mental fortitude, and for that piece I spent a lot more consecutive time on the erg with out a rest break.

As for my planned location, I will be attempting it in my team's indoor rowing facility. It has good ventilation, and pretty good AC as well as a few fans.

My training going into winter and spring will be solid as I row for a club that has won that has won the past 14 consecutive Men's Points Trophy at ACRA.
I will definitely have a good cardio base/fitness level going in since I am doing it after week after ACRA's Nationals. We'll be erging around 100k a week this winter and have 10+ hrs of on the water this spring, theoretically I'll be in the best shape of my life.

I am planning to eat some full meals throughout so the only thing I'm worried about is eating something that will put me to sleep since that's the biggest challenge through the second night. Are there resources on how much of each of the foundational food group I need to be physically functional and working? I have done some experiments over the last year and I can last a full 24 hours (not erging just in general) pretty easily with out caffeine if my mind is active. I'm going to try and last as long as possible without so I don't abuse it and increase my tolerance (decreasing its effect), and then make careful note of how much and when I'm consuming it.

As for split and rate, I am going to keep it at a rate I can comfortably pull without feeling it, same for the split. A pace where I can. keep the soreness at bay essentially.

This is my C2 logbook ID if you guys want to track my training, 1545107. I'll be sure to include the ratings of my pieces as well in the comments.

I'll see about maybe making it a charity event as well.

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » November 25th, 2023, 1:39 am

So what does one have to do beforehand to get a moderate degree of confidence that you can row for say, 24 hours? (I won't even bother asking about an insane time of 83 hours.)

Let's say you're doing a FM at a slow pace of 3:00 / 500m. That works out to "only" 4.2 hours, still far, far less than 24.

I guess one good thing about having a time goal is that your pace really doesn't matter - as long as the PM doesn't go to sleep while you're rowing, even a 3:30 pace at 15 spm would count.

JaapvanE
10k Poster

Post by JaapvanE » November 25th, 2023, 7:58 am

Ombrax wrote:
November 25th, 2023, 1:39 am
I guess one good thing about having a time goal is that your pace really doesn't matter - as long as the PM doesn't go to sleep while you're rowing, even a 3:30 pace at 15 spm would count.
I think (based on absolutely no experience whatsoever), that secondary factors (like irritated muscles and skin) start to dominate. Bit even just sitting and moving up and down the slide for that long will be a task in itself....

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » November 25th, 2023, 10:39 am

ErgAddict wrote:
November 23rd, 2023, 10:46 pm
Thanks for all the advice all!!

I will definitely keep the chaffing problem in mind although I haven't had any problems with it while erging. Only minimal issues on some of my longer runs where there are more contact points of rubbing.

Okay yeah for the bubble wrap, I will definitely have some on hand once the problem arises. I haven't had any big issues yet on the FMs I've done, I did have some problems on a century row I did a couple years ago but it was overcome with a little mental fortitude, and for that piece I spent a lot more consecutive time on the erg with out a rest break.

As for my planned location, I will be attempting it in my team's indoor rowing facility. It has good ventilation, and pretty good AC as well as a few fans.

My training going into winter and spring will be solid as I row for a club that has won that has won the past 14 consecutive Men's Points Trophy at ACRA.
I will definitely have a good cardio base/fitness level going in since I am doing it after week after ACRA's Nationals. We'll be erging around 100k a week this winter and have 10+ hrs of on the water this spring, theoretically I'll be in the best shape of my life.

I am planning to eat some full meals throughout so the only thing I'm worried about is eating something that will put me to sleep since that's the biggest challenge through the second night. Are there resources on how much of each of the foundational food group I need to be physically functional and working? I have done some experiments over the last year and I can last a full 24 hours (not erging just in general) pretty easily with out caffeine if my mind is active. I'm going to try and last as long as possible without so I don't abuse it and increase my tolerance (decreasing its effect), and then make careful note of how much and when I'm consuming it.

As for split and rate, I am going to keep it at a rate I can comfortably pull without feeling it, same for the split. A pace where I can. keep the soreness at bay essentially.

This is my C2 logbook ID if you guys want to track my training, 1545107. I'll be sure to include the ratings of my pieces as well in the comments.

I'll see about maybe making it a charity event as well.
It sounds like the fitness foundation is well and truly covered. Despite preparing lots of food, I lost my appetite during the 12hr, and I had to force down banana, as it was just liquid that I could have. Someone else who did a 24-hour (indoor) bike challenge also said the same issue, and it was a lot more notable than during the 100k and other sessions leading up to it.

Split and rate is very subjective, so you definitely need to pick what feel right
50 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

ErgAddict
Paddler

Post by ErgAddict » November 26th, 2023, 5:29 pm

Good to note on the food aspect.

As for fathoming something this outlandish, I just want to take on new challenges that push me to define my mental boundaries and force me to go past them. Also, it'll make a lot of the erg pieces I do over the summer a whole lot easier because I can compare them to something way harder.

I'll probably, set the monitor up for fifty minute pieces with 9:55 for rest, that way I can track my meters in between pieces pretty easily.

gcanyon
2k Poster

Post by gcanyon » December 18th, 2023, 11:05 am

I use a folded up hand towel for seat padding on long rows. It works just in general (for me, everyone is different).

Also: I find it useful because I can fold it over on one side to change the balance of pressure between my two sit bones. Sometimes one or the other gets sore and it’s better to put more pressure on the not-sore one. Obviously it pays to be cautious when tilting the base of your stroke, but I don’t do it often or for long and it hasn’t been a problem for me.

ukaserex
1k Poster

Post by ukaserex » February 2nd, 2024, 2:52 pm

Have you done this yet?
If not, just using my own experience from a marathon row I did a few years ago.

1. You'll need a LOT of fluids; just for my row, I had 6 bottles of water lined up, all with caps off, so I didn't need to stop and twist the caps off.
2. I don't see a way around it, but you're going to chafe somewhere, most likely the armpit area. I would start the row with no shirt at all. You may want to get some vaseline and rub it over your upper lat/armpit area where you can feel your arm on your side on the return stroke. But then again, it may feel so strange, it may be more trouble than it's worth. I just know I had a rash from chafing after my row.
3. Bubble wrap and/or a towel for the seat. There are some secondary market add-ons for the seat that may suffice. I've tried more than a few, and for me, bubble wrap works best.
4. Batteries for your rower/radio, whatever else you're going to be using. It'd be a shame for your batteries to die in the midst of a row. For my row, I had to come up with a playlist that had over 3 hours of music in case I went slower than expected. I can't imagine a 36 hour playlist, lol. Maybe there's a tv you can watch? That's your call.

No idea why you'd try something like this, but I wish you well.
100M - 16.1 1 Min - 370 500M - 1:25.1 1k - 3:10.2 4:00 - 1216 2k 6:37.0 5k 17:58.8 6k - 21:54.1 30 Min. - 8130 10k - 37:49.7 60:00 - 15604
1/2 Marathon 1:28:44.3 Marathon 2:59:36

5'10"
215 lbs
53 years old

ErgAddict
Paddler

Post by ErgAddict » February 5th, 2024, 11:48 am

I haven't done it yet, my tentative date is late May this year.

Cool yeah I've done a few marathons over the past couple years!

Good to know on the chafing, I haven't chafed on my marathons but I believe I did on my 100k a couple years ago, it's a bit foggy of a memory though.

I'm planning on doing a relaxed 24hr test run this weekend to gain a perspective on the immensity of the challenge but also the prep work still needed. Probably use a towel and try and get some foam and bubble wrap this week.

The most trouble I've run into is finding people to support the effort and actually entertain the goal.

My media for the first day will be along the lines of podcasts, audio books, documentaries while I'm still coherent. The second will be more along the lines of reality tv, movies, and a bit of music. The last day will be just background music because I will no longer be coherent enough to process complex information. The updated goal is 72 hours. Due to a recent improvement of the goal in July bumping it up to 63 hours.

Cheers

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » February 5th, 2024, 12:36 pm

ErgAddict wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 11:48 am
Good to know on the chafing, I haven't chafed on my marathons but I believe I did on my 100k a couple years ago, it's a bit foggy of a memory though.
Cheers
I get chafing on my inner upper arms on a long row, so I'd maybe suggest some vaseline in your outer knees and inner arms.

What do you mean when you say "support the effort"? Is there anything that any of us can do to help?

"You reap what you row"

ErgAddict
Paddler

Post by ErgAddict » February 5th, 2024, 2:19 pm

I'll definitely look into some vaseline options because a few people have mentioned that as an advantageous tool.

By support the effort I mean finding people that are in the area an willing to be a support crew meaning making sure I'm getting enough water, food, making sure I'm stretching. Most importantly making sure I don't long term hurt myself as well as being a voice of reason if I'm forced to call it quits.

I mean unless someone has the resources and connections to set up and run a charity event through it, or you want to travel to the University to watch me do it and help in that way. There really is no way to help besides just getting ya'll advice because these types of shenanigans are poorly documented.

Cheers