Ergathlon keeps failing

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
Post Reply
Huopaaja
Paddler
Posts: 41
Joined: April 21st, 2020, 3:30 am

Ergathlon keeps failing

Post by Huopaaja » January 10th, 2023, 6:15 pm

I’ve tried at least half a dozen ergathlons and they all keep failing for weird reasons. Usually the first leg and t1 are fine, and it’s a mess from there on.

I’ve updated the programs, moved the machines as close to one another as I can and replaced batteries. No help. After setting it up, I get a weak connection warning between lanes 1 and 3. I’m guessing it means the bike and the skierg. But these are 1 meter apart.

I use the ergathlon settings in my bike’s pm. Don’t know why there seems to be a third transition in the result screen.

For example, I tried a sprint today. The result screen was
Bike 6:59.4
:00r (wrong, should be maybe 15s)
Row 7:53.7
:8:45r (wrong, should be maybe 20s)
Ski 8:27.3
:00r
Total score 32:05.4 (wrong, should be about 24 mins)

Does anyone have similar experience or ideas how to make it work?

Huopaaja
Paddler
Posts: 41
Joined: April 21st, 2020, 3:30 am

Re: Ergathlon keeps failing

Post by Huopaaja » January 17th, 2023, 8:23 pm

Looks like it was a bluetooth problem. I’ve linked the machines with cables as per the local C2 dealer’s instructions, and now they work fine. Not pretty and not ideal, but beats the frustration of wasting a hard effort on a recording error.

Tsnor
10k Poster
Posts: 1132
Joined: November 18th, 2020, 1:21 pm

Re: Ergathlon keeps failing

Post by Tsnor » January 18th, 2023, 7:22 pm

Huopaaja wrote:
January 17th, 2023, 8:23 pm
Looks like it was a bluetooth problem. I’ve linked the machines with cables as per the local C2 dealer’s instructions, and now they work fine. Not pretty and not ideal, but beats the frustration of wasting a hard effort on a recording error.
Can you describe the cabling you used? I am on the older C2 ergdata app using a cable, and thought the new ergdata had dropped support for cables.

gvcormac
5k Poster
Posts: 543
Joined: April 20th, 2022, 10:27 am

Re: Ergathlon keeps failing

Post by gvcormac » January 18th, 2023, 9:08 pm

Somewhere the documentation says that older PM5s (without the green C2 logo on them) have trouble doing ergathlon with bluetooth, and wired is recommended.

I have three green-logo PM5s and haven't had a problem with bluetooth. But haven't done it that much, because it scores on the logbook as "multi-erg" and all the C2 challenges require rower, bike, or ski.

Tsnor
10k Poster
Posts: 1132
Joined: November 18th, 2020, 1:21 pm

Re: Ergathlon keeps failing

Post by Tsnor » January 19th, 2023, 2:14 pm

gvcormac wrote:
January 18th, 2023, 9:08 pm
Somewhere the documentation says that older PM5s (without the green C2 logo on them) have trouble doing ergathlon with bluetooth, and wired is recommended.

I have three green-logo PM5s and haven't had a problem with bluetooth. But haven't done it that much, because it scores on the logbook as "multi-erg" and all the C2 challenges require rower, bike, or ski.
Does wired still work with a firmware current PM5 and the new Ergdata ? I'd read cable has been removed.

bullitt0347
Paddler
Posts: 12
Joined: August 20th, 2022, 10:54 am

Re: Ergathlon keeps failing

Post by bullitt0347 » May 8th, 2024, 9:47 am

Tsnor wrote:
January 18th, 2023, 7:22 pm
Huopaaja wrote:
January 17th, 2023, 8:23 pm
Looks like it was a bluetooth problem. I’ve linked the machines with cables as per the local C2 dealer’s instructions, and now they work fine. Not pretty and not ideal, but beats the frustration of wasting a hard effort on a recording error.
Can you describe the cabling you used? I am on the older C2 ergdata app using a cable, and thought the new ergdata had dropped support for cables.
Yeah, I would be interested on how to connect the PM5s together? I get the feeling it could be quite obvious and potentially a "DOH!" - should have seen that moment for me but I'm not getting it!!

Tsnor
10k Poster
Posts: 1132
Joined: November 18th, 2020, 1:21 pm

Re: Ergathlon keeps failing

Post by Tsnor » May 8th, 2024, 4:19 pm

bullitt0347 wrote:
May 8th, 2024, 9:47 am
Tsnor wrote:
January 18th, 2023, 7:22 pm
Huopaaja wrote:
January 17th, 2023, 8:23 pm
Looks like it was a bluetooth problem. I’ve linked the machines with cables as per the local C2 dealer’s instructions, and now they work fine. Not pretty and not ideal, but beats the frustration of wasting a hard effort on a recording error.
Can you describe the cabling you used? I am on the older C2 ergdata app using a cable, and thought the new ergdata had dropped support for cables.
Yeah, I would be interested on how to connect the PM5s together? I get the feeling it could be quite obvious and potentially a "DOH!" - should have seen that moment for me but I'm not getting it!!
fwiw, I stopped using cables and the old ergdata. My log was getting incorrect data sent from the older version of ergdata. C2 support confirmed the problem and said no fix was possible so I moved on. (C2 support is great, they tell you what's what.) I now have an old phone (1st gen pixel) dedicated to running new ergdata. It is bluetooth connected to my pm5. This setup is reliable and does not have the data corruption problems that old ergdata sometimes had with bluetooth.

bullitt0347
Paddler
Posts: 12
Joined: August 20th, 2022, 10:54 am

Re: Ergathlon keeps failing

Post by bullitt0347 » May 13th, 2024, 6:12 pm

Figured it out in the end after a lot of head scratching!! Don't think the Concept page was very clear on this. To be fair though I could have easily been looking in the wrong place!!!
Went wireless and it worked a treat, very impressed with it, Very clever indeed!! Just adds to my all ready high opinion of the Concept 2 equipment.

Post Reply