New season

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
mpeard
Paddler
Posts: 8
Joined: July 3rd, 2017, 5:11 pm

New season

Post by mpeard » May 1st, 2021, 1:30 am

Hi,

In terms of this statement I have a question....

Note: Weeks run from Monday through to Sunday. Week 1 starts on May 1.

So week 1 starts today (Saturday) according to the site (as all last seasons rows have been archived and my log is empty) but the week starts on a Monday. Am I the only one confused?

Mark

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 3134
Joined: March 18th, 2006, 3:44 am
Location: Trentino Italy

Re: New season

Post by jamesg » May 1st, 2021, 3:59 am

The C2 Powers that be have decided that the erg year starts May 1st. Being so, the last "week" this April had five days, and the first in May has two, if Monday is day 1. Similar at the end of the year.

All the other weeks have 7, unless we decide otherwise as did the Powers in Rome (Pope Gregory) some time in 1582. But that's a long story.
08-1940, 183cm, 84kg. Last seen MHR 158 in 2k = 220 - 77% of age.
2021-2: stroke 6 W-min. ½k 1:55.5; 1k 4:09.2; 2k 8:42.2; 5k 23:15; 30' 6247; 10k 49:36.

User avatar
Citroen
SpamTeam
Posts: 7179
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:28 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK

Re: New season

Post by Citroen » May 1st, 2021, 4:25 am

mpeard wrote:
May 1st, 2021, 1:30 am

Note: Weeks run from Monday through to Sunday. Week 1 starts on May 1.
Countries using the ISO-8601 date/time system start the week on a Monday.

Concept2 weeks (like the rest of America) aren't ISO-8601 and run from Sunday. They are alone in the world with that and they still use imperial weights and measures just to be bloody awkward. Some other metric countries Canada, Japan, Brazil also start on a Sunday just to be half awkward.

This week started on 25th April 2021. Next week starts on 2nd May 2021.

It's a similar problem to the 52/53 week problem in ISO-8601 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Week#Week_52_and_53

whp4
6k Poster
Posts: 653
Joined: March 15th, 2006, 10:09 pm

Re: New season

Post by whp4 » May 1st, 2021, 12:26 pm

Citroen wrote:
May 1st, 2021, 4:25 am
mpeard wrote:
May 1st, 2021, 1:30 am

Note: Weeks run from Monday through to Sunday. Week 1 starts on May 1.
Countries using the ISO-8601 date/time system start the week on a Monday.

Concept2 weeks (like the rest of America) aren't ISO-8601 and run from Sunday. They are alone in the world with that and they still use imperial weights and measures just to be bloody awkward. Some other metric countries Canada, Japan, Brazil also start on a Sunday just to be half awkward.

This week started on 25th April 2021. Next week starts on 2nd May 2021.

It's a similar problem to the 52/53 week problem in ISO-8601 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Week#Week_52_and_53
C2 weeks start on Monday, that quote is directly from the C2 season summary webpage, and if you look at the final week of the 2020-2021 season, it states that it commenced on April 26, which was a Monday. Looking at the meters credited to that week reveals the same.

mict450
6k Poster
Posts: 719
Joined: December 23rd, 2019, 3:11 pm
Location: the good, ol' U S of A

Re: New season

Post by mict450 » May 1st, 2021, 8:53 pm

I'm lost. Someone please explain to this hick kid from a jerk water town in the country why it matters whether the week has 2 day vs 7 or starts on a Saturday, Sunday or Monday?

May 1st is what it is, irregardless of day of the week or length of the week. Simple explanations appreciated, none of thus ISO stuff, if possible, please.
Eric, YOB:1954
Shasta County, CA, small town USA

whp4
6k Poster
Posts: 653
Joined: March 15th, 2006, 10:09 pm

Re: New season

Post by whp4 » May 1st, 2021, 9:12 pm

mict450 wrote:
May 1st, 2021, 8:53 pm
I'm lost. Someone please explain why it matters whether the week has 2 day vs 7 or starts on a Saturday, Sunday or Monday? May 1st is what it is, irregardless of day of the week or length of the week. Simple explanations appreciated, none of thus ISO stuff, if possible, please.

Just a simple hick kid from a jerk water town in the country.
If you look at your season summary, there is an option to show the meters rowed weekly. Because the number of days in a year is not a multiple of 7, the day of the week on which May 1 falls varies. If you line up the weeks with a calendar, in the first and last weeks of the year, you may not have a full 7 days. This new season started today, on Saturday, so the weekly summary meters rowed data for Week 1 will include only the meters rowed today and tomorrow, but Week 2’s total will be larger for most because it will have a full 7 days, Monday May 3 through Sunday May 9.

They could have written the code to just take May 1-6 as Week 1, May 7-13 as Week 2, etc. but they chose to have the week always start on Monday. Either way, someone is likely to complain! It doesn’t really matter too much.

mict450
6k Poster
Posts: 719
Joined: December 23rd, 2019, 3:11 pm
Location: the good, ol' U S of A

Re: New season

Post by mict450 » May 1st, 2021, 9:16 pm

whp4 wrote:
May 1st, 2021, 9:12 pm

If you look at your season summary, there is an option to show the meters rowed weekly. Because the number of days in a year is not a multiple of 7, the day of the week on which May 1 falls varies. If you line up the weeks with a calendar, in the first and last weeks of the year, you may not have a full 7 days. This new season started today, on Saturday, so the weekly summary meters rowed data for Week 1 will include only the meters rowed today and tomorrow, but Week 2’s total will be larger for most because it will have a full 7 days, Monday May 3 through Sunday May 9.

They could have written the code to just take May 1-6 as Week 1, May 7-13 as Week 2, etc. but they chose to have the week always start on Monday. Either way, someone is likely to complain! It doesn’t really matter too much.
Thank you for your simple, concise explanation.
Eric, YOB:1954
Shasta County, CA, small town USA

whp4
6k Poster
Posts: 653
Joined: March 15th, 2006, 10:09 pm

Re: New season

Post by whp4 » May 1st, 2021, 9:29 pm

mict450 wrote:
May 1st, 2021, 9:16 pm
Thank you for your simple, concise explanation.
Hopefully it is also correct :D

This business of dates and times just gets more painful the closer you look. A year is 365 days long, except it really is about 365 1/4 days long, so every 4th year we shove in an extra day in February, except it isn’t exactly 365 1/4, so once in a long while we skip that, and there are leap seconds stuffed in now and then, and...

User avatar
Ombrax
10k Poster
Posts: 1047
Joined: April 20th, 2013, 2:05 am
Location: St Louis, MO, USA

Re: New season

Post by Ombrax » May 2nd, 2021, 12:45 am

Since it's officially complaint time, here's my pet peeve:

It would be so much easier to come up with a weekly exercise schedule if a week had an even number of days. As it stands, because the Babylonians could observe seven celestial bodies (the Sun, the Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn) 7 was a particularly special number for them, so they chose to have their weeks be seven days long. As a result, you can't create a schedule with alternating days for say, two types of activities, unless you're willing to keep shifting things all over the place relative to what happens on what day of the week. In my case I usually end up with an extra day off in there to get things to line up again.

mpeard
Paddler
Posts: 8
Joined: July 3rd, 2017, 5:11 pm

Re: New season

Post by mpeard » May 2nd, 2021, 1:41 am

whp4 wrote:
May 1st, 2021, 9:12 pm
mict450 wrote:
May 1st, 2021, 8:53 pm
I'm lost. Someone please explain why it matters whether the week has 2 day vs 7 or starts on a Saturday, Sunday or Monday? May 1st is what it is, irregardless of day of the week or length of the week. Simple explanations appreciated, none of thus ISO stuff, if possible, please.

Just a simple hick kid from a jerk water town in the country.
If you look at your season summary, there is an option to show the meters rowed weekly. Because the number of days in a year is not a multiple of 7, the day of the week on which May 1 falls varies. If you line up the weeks with a calendar, in the first and last weeks of the year, you may not have a full 7 days. This new season started today, on Saturday, so the weekly summary meters rowed data for Week 1 will include only the meters rowed today and tomorrow, but Week 2’s total will be larger for most because it will have a full 7 days, Monday May 3 through Sunday May 9.

They could have written the code to just take May 1-6 as Week 1, May 7-13 as Week 2, etc. but they chose to have the week always start on Monday. Either way, someone is likely to complain! It doesn’t really matter too much.
You are right - it doesn't matter too much but as I track my meters weekly I was intrigued.

It's just the two conflicting statements they use......the week starts on a Monday, the season starts on 1st May. The "last" week of this year started on Monday 26/4 but also included 1/5 and 2/5 so the first week in the new year starts on Monday 3/5. Given the history for "this" season has been reset I will have to have a row today and see whether that is week 53 or week 1.

whp4
6k Poster
Posts: 653
Joined: March 15th, 2006, 10:09 pm

Re: New season

Post by whp4 » May 2nd, 2021, 2:18 am

mpeard wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 1:41 am
whp4 wrote:
May 1st, 2021, 9:12 pm
mict450 wrote:
May 1st, 2021, 8:53 pm
I'm lost. Someone please explain why it matters whether the week has 2 day vs 7 or starts on a Saturday, Sunday or Monday? May 1st is what it is, irregardless of day of the week or length of the week. Simple explanations appreciated, none of thus ISO stuff, if possible, please.

Just a simple hick kid from a jerk water town in the country.
If you look at your season summary, there is an option to show the meters rowed weekly. Because the number of days in a year is not a multiple of 7, the day of the week on which May 1 falls varies. If you line up the weeks with a calendar, in the first and last weeks of the year, you may not have a full 7 days. This new season started today, on Saturday, so the weekly summary meters rowed data for Week 1 will include only the meters rowed today and tomorrow, but Week 2’s total will be larger for most because it will have a full 7 days, Monday May 3 through Sunday May 9.

They could have written the code to just take May 1-6 as Week 1, May 7-13 as Week 2, etc. but they chose to have the week always start on Monday. Either way, someone is likely to complain! It doesn’t really matter too much.
You are right - it doesn't matter too much but as I track my meters weekly I was intrigued.

It's just the two conflicting statements they use......the week starts on a Monday, the season starts on 1st May. The "last" week of this year started on Monday 26/4 but also included 1/5 and 2/5 so the first week in the new year starts on Monday 3/5. Given the history for "this" season has been reset I will have to have a row today and see whether that is week 53 or week 1.
Week 1 of this season started on April 26. However, you’ll only get credit this season for rows on or after May 1, when the season actually started, so even if you rowed April 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, May 1 and May 2, Week 1 of this brave new season will only consist of the meters rowed on May 1 and 2.

If New Year’s falls on say Wednesday, the first week of January has only Wednesday through Sunday (or Saturday, if you’re in the US), even though the week itself started a few days earlier. Same deal.

whp4
6k Poster
Posts: 653
Joined: March 15th, 2006, 10:09 pm

Re: New season

Post by whp4 » May 2nd, 2021, 2:24 am

Ombrax wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 12:45 am
Since it's officially complaint time, here's my pet peeve:

It would be so much easier to come up with a weekly exercise schedule if a week had an even number of days. As it stands, because the Babylonians could observe seven celestial bodies (the Sun, the Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn) 7 was a particularly special number for them, so they chose to have their weeks be seven days long. As a result, you can't create a schedule with alternating days for say, two types of activities, unless you're willing to keep shifting things all over the place relative to what happens on what day of the week. In my case I usually end up with an extra day off in there to get things to line up again.
If only they’d figured out a way to move the Earth’s orbit a bit closer to the Sun, they could have fixed the calendar issue by making the orbit take exactly 364 complete revolutions of the planet instead of the 365 days 6 hours 9 minutes and 9 seconds it does take and perhaps melted those pesky ice caps so that we wouldn’t have to worry about the possibility now :D

User avatar
Ombrax
10k Poster
Posts: 1047
Joined: April 20th, 2013, 2:05 am
Location: St Louis, MO, USA

Re: New season

Post by Ombrax » May 2nd, 2021, 2:38 am

whp4 wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 2:24 am
If only they’d figured out a way to move the Earth’s orbit a bit closer to the Sun, they could have fixed the calendar issue by making the orbit take exactly 364 complete revolutions of the planet instead of the 365 days 6 hours 9 minutes and 9 seconds it does take and perhaps melted those pesky ice caps so that we wouldn’t have to worry about the possibility now :D
Hmmmm - change the earth's orbit, or have a "rest day" - I wonder which option would be simplest for us to implement. Plus there's the pesky issue of the conservation of angular momentum...

mpeard
Paddler
Posts: 8
Joined: July 3rd, 2017, 5:11 pm

Re: New season

Post by mpeard » May 2nd, 2021, 8:12 am

whp4 wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 2:18 am
mpeard wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 1:41 am
whp4 wrote:
May 1st, 2021, 9:12 pm


If you look at your season summary, there is an option to show the meters rowed weekly. Because the number of days in a year is not a multiple of 7, the day of the week on which May 1 falls varies. If you line up the weeks with a calendar, in the first and last weeks of the year, you may not have a full 7 days. This new season started today, on Saturday, so the weekly summary meters rowed data for Week 1 will include only the meters rowed today and tomorrow, but Week 2’s total will be larger for most because it will have a full 7 days, Monday May 3 through Sunday May 9.

They could have written the code to just take May 1-6 as Week 1, May 7-13 as Week 2, etc. but they chose to have the week always start on Monday. Either way, someone is likely to complain! It doesn’t really matter too much.
You are right - it doesn't matter too much but as I track my meters weekly I was intrigued.

It's just the two conflicting statements they use......the week starts on a Monday, the season starts on 1st May. The "last" week of this year started on Monday 26/4 but also included 1/5 and 2/5 so the first week in the new year starts on Monday 3/5. Given the history for "this" season has been reset I will have to have a row today and see whether that is week 53 or week 1.
Week 1 of this season started on April 26. However, you’ll only get credit this season for rows on or after May 1, when the season actually started, so even if you rowed April 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, May 1 and May 2, Week 1 of this brave new season will only consist of the meters rowed on May 1 and 2.

If New Year’s falls on say Wednesday, the first week of January has only Wednesday through Sunday (or Saturday, if you’re in the US), even though the week itself started a few days earlier. Same deal.
According to my logbook w/c 26/4 is week 53.

Ernits
500m Poster
Posts: 54
Joined: June 1st, 2019, 10:36 am

Re: New season

Post by Ernits » May 2nd, 2021, 10:24 am

Yes, but it stops counting towards week 53 at April 30. Starting from May 1st, the meters are counted towards week 1 of new season

Post Reply