Runners Thread

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
Yankeerunner
10k Poster

Post by Yankeerunner » April 20th, 2006, 8:31 am

samroot wrote:Rick

The more likely explanation was I was in the second wave,and didn't go off until 1230. I was going scary fast-16 miles under 2 hours. But still that would have put me at the hospital at over 1430-probably long after you were done. I thought there was a slim chance someone was still around.

I called the store on the slight to nil chance you were open Sunday. My sister and I ended up taking the T out to the hospital on Sunday to know what to look for. Did you set up in the parking lot facing the road behind the shrubs?
Fred had set up the ergs on the driveway that is parallel to the race course (enter the main driveway and take an immediate right). Paul thought that the sidewalk would be better though because it would be closer to the action, so 5 ergs were on the sidewalk (Flack, Me, Holland, and the 2 BB&N realy teams) while the other 5 stayed in the shade of the driveway.

We should have waited longer as spectators. There was talk on TV that night of maybe starting the race at 10:00 AM next year (another break with tradition). Not a bad idea. And then we would still be erging away as the runners streamed past.

Congratulations on a good run. I'm glad you got a good day for a change. A 10:00 AM start next year would make even a warm day more tolerable.

Rick

ancho
6k Poster

Post by ancho » April 20th, 2006, 1:31 pm

samroot wrote:Quick report-more extensive report to follow.

Self fulfilling prophecy:floated through the hills of Newton,stormed home from Boston College,and a final furious surge down Boylston to finish in 3:20:50.
Wow! 3:20, great run!
yr 1966, 1,87 m, 8? kg
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1201739576.png[/img]
Be Water, My Friend!

Steve G
2k Poster

Post by Steve G » April 21st, 2006, 3:56 pm

Krysta Coleman wrote:Hey, I have a question for you runner/ergers... I want to start running as cross-training for my erging, and also because a road relay team has asked me to be a back-up for them. I have become pretty addicted to the nice numbers and feedback you constantly get on the PM3 whilst erging so I was thinking of getting one of those GPS watches that tell you pace, distance, etc for running.

Anyone tried one of these? Any recommendations before I make the big purchase? I am looking at a Garmin Forerunner 305, because I want HR data too.

Thanks,

- Krysta
Krysta
I have had my Forerunner 301 for round 5 weeks now. I probably would not have bought such an expensive piece of kit, but I sold a book on Ebay which funded it!!
Anyway, my thoughts.
Accuracy is pretty good, Garmin quote 99% with good sky sight, sounds good, but could still be 100 metres out in 10K.

I have used it on 3 certified courses, a 10K which the Garmin clocked 90 metres over, others on the day varied between 6.20, 6.21 and 6.27 so OK for training purposes. A local 3K, I clocked 20 metres over, this was a straight out and back course, so pretty good. 3 mile race with tree cover clocked 3.17 miles, way out.
Training routes pretty consistent. I have ran a loop 3 times and have clocked 7.24 twice and a 7.27 once, excellent stuff.

Despite already having a HRM I went for the 301 model, this has been one of the best tools for me for checking HRs after a race/training run.
in 25 years of running I have very rarely used a HRM, I know when I am red lining by feel. As I have got older the 301 has told me, I haven’t been pushing hard enough in training or racing.

The metres climbed etc seems way out, as well as the altitude, perhaps it needs setting at sea level first?

I have messed about with navigation during a walking few days, I set some locations on the route, then on the way back set the machine to retrace. It was very good, the turns I set were indicated by an arrow and pretty spot on. It could be useful on unfamiliar territory to retrace steps.
There is a function to set location, which gives latitude and longitude, although I am unsure how to relate this to the map if lost, any body know. I know about 6 figure references etc, but not lat/long!

I have tried the virtual assistant once, this is a running man you set to the speed you want to run at, it then gives a plus or minus as you race the assistant. I set it on a one mile route for 6.20pace, it worked well, finished within seconds, it was easy to see too on the display.

The pace can seem to vary quite a bit, I can run very even paced, normally within seconds, I am trying out the pace smoothing still on the watch to try and iron this out, It does seem to settle more, the longer a run goes, I wonder if it works similar to the PM2/PM3 as in the projected pace scenario, the longer the distance, the less the spikes?

The watch looks a bit bulky, but when worn is not noticed, there is an extension strap, so you can wear it over a heavier top. The custom pages are useful to view info you prefer. The USB hook up to PC is simple, it also charges from there as well as the mains. Software is limited, you can check HRs against speed/elevation etc. I have mine to auto insert mile splits, so you can analyse individual sections. HR tracking is very good with the coded transmitter, also battery is user replaceable.

You also can used Motion Based software, but unless you pay monthly and can only save 10 workouts. I have exported some runs to Google Earth, which look quite impressive, and can be replayed. One anomaly is the 7.24 I did today becomes 7.27 with this software??

There are still lots of features I haven’t tried, will keep you posted.

Steve

Steve G
2k Poster

Post by Steve G » April 21st, 2006, 4:04 pm

Heres a screen shot from todays 7.24 Miler, from the Garmin software gives an idea of the Forunners capablities. Average pace 7.04 min/mile

Steve

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Eastern Sierra Ultras

Post by Bob S. » April 21st, 2006, 4:53 pm

I recently picked up a copy of the schedule of ultramarathon and other long distance runs in the Eastern Sierra region (Death Valley, Mt. Whitney, Mammoth Lakes, etc.) for this season. If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I'll e-mail a copy of the scan. No, I don't run them, but once accepted an invitation to hikers to join in a 20 mile fun run held in connection with a simultaneous 50km and a 50 miler.

Some bicycle races are listed as well.

Bob S.

samroot
Paddler

Post by samroot » April 29th, 2006, 6:52 am

I tried to post details of my marathon twice last week,but I got logged off and it dropped the posts. Exasperated,I'm going to break it up into two posts,training and the marathon itself.

When I said my long runs were slow,I mean slow,9 to 10 min. miles. They were hilly though,and I felt going the going up and down would work my legs enough. Besides,doing long runs each weekend,I needed to recover each week. It was kind of a throwback to the LSD-long slow distance of the 70's. Even when I did the last two long runs,15 and 13,uptempo,that was only at 8:32 per mile pace.

My week day runs of alternating,8k and 10k,were mostly done at slighty over 5 min/k. It was only the last couple of weeks that I started to slide under 5 mins.

I had no idea where my speed was. So,only doing one 10k under 50 mins.,it seemed kind of a reach to string 4 10k's together at that pace in the marathon.

I had an abbreviated one week taper,and didn't run for 3 days before the race. My last weight workout was the Weds. before. On Sat. before,I was up at 0400 and down on the erg attempting a 5k trial-handle down at 500m.-with a 'What am I nuts' thought crossing my mind. Blearily, I headed upstairs to wakeup conventionally wit a couple cups of Kenyan AA. Still,I took it as a good sign that I was chafing at the bit.

On the way to airport I gave my wife one of the three singlets with 'Go Debbie Benton Beat Breast Cancer!' on the back. She broke down.

There in a nutshell is Sam's six week, 'Pull it out of your stern tube',marathon training plan. A refined,condensed version of my 8 week go under 3 hrs. plan from the 80s. I was going to sea then and had only 2-3 months to train at a time.
Race details to come.

Krysta Coleman
500m Poster

Post by Krysta Coleman » May 6th, 2006, 7:42 am

Thanks for all the thoughts on which trainer watch to get. I did end up buying the Garmin Forerunner 305 and I'm pretty happy with it so far. My HR didn't register on it yesterday for some reason, and I didn't notice until after the run, but I think that was more an issue of chest strap placement (maybe my bra got under it?) Anyway, my favorites so far are the Google Earth route tracking and the graphs:

Friday's route:
Tuesday's graph:

As for the running, which is pretty new to me, I am liking it as cross-training for the erg. My time rowing is limited by my toddler but she will usually let me run whenever I want because she enjoys the ride in the jogging stroller too. My knees hurt the first couple times out but that seems to have worked itself out too.

- Krysta
5'7", 35 years old, trying to regain fitness. Old PBs:

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » May 7th, 2006, 8:32 pm

You've got me very envious Krysta! I thought about buying one for Shannon for her birthday :D . Wouldn't be quite fair though, buying a present that I'd probably use more than her :P . Maybe Christmas? That is really cool that you can use it with Google Earth. With all the wild country up here it would be great for the back country!

Hey, get well soon and take it easy till you are! John.
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1151982539.png[/img]

Age 47, 6'0", 164 lbs.
100k row completed 11/25/06 7:48:45.2

johnnybike
1k Poster

Post by johnnybike » May 8th, 2006, 5:43 pm

Krysta, still doing that route where you got whistled at by a couple of builders :lol:

YJ, keeping it in the family how about a 5K or 30mins RP race on Saturday? Will PM you later

John
[url=http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/weblog.php?w=57]Read my diary[/url]
2K [b]7:06:1[/b] | 5K [b]18:35.2[/b] | 10K [b]37.47.9[/b] | 30mins [b]7899[/b] | 60mins [b]15577[/b] | HM [b]82:33.3[/b] FM [b]2:50:48[/b]

Steve G
2k Poster

Post by Steve G » May 8th, 2006, 6:32 pm

Krysta
Good to see you bought the Garmin, the USA Google maps are so much more detailed, we are only allowed a certain amount of zoom in parts of the UK! I often find my HR monitor can Skip sections too, don't think it is my bra strap :)
3K local road race for me tonight in 11.03, second race in 3 days. No HRM worn.
Cheers
Steve
55LW/UK/66Kgs

Krysta Coleman
500m Poster

Post by Krysta Coleman » May 10th, 2006, 2:36 am

Steve G wrote: Good to see you bought the Garmin, the USA Google maps are so much more detailed, we are only allowed a certain amount of zoom in parts of the UK!
Funny that, with Google Earth. For some reason I can zoom right up close on my tiny little town in northern Alberta, Canada and see every little detail of houses and cars. But then I try my home town of Whitehorse (where our Yukon John lives) and it's just a blur, even though it is a much bigger place and a capital city.
Johnnybike wrote:Krysta, still doing that route where you got whistled at by a couple of builders?
:lol: I should mark that location on the map with the GPS for future reference, eh?
5'7", 35 years old, trying to regain fitness. Old PBs:

johnnybike
1k Poster

Post by johnnybike » May 10th, 2006, 3:07 am

Krysta Coleman wrote: Funny that, with Google Earth. For some reason I can zoom right up close on my tiny little town in northern Alberta, Canada and see every little detail of houses and cars. But then I try my home town of Whitehorse (where our Yukon John lives) and it's just a blur, even though it is a much bigger place and a capital city
Some places are obscured because of security considerations. Cheltenham England hosts GCHQ and the whole of the town/city is blurred.

Perhaps Whitehorse is similar. Or it could be a prison and YJ only rows in his exercise period :lol:
[url=http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/weblog.php?w=57]Read my diary[/url]
2K [b]7:06:1[/b] | 5K [b]18:35.2[/b] | 10K [b]37.47.9[/b] | 30mins [b]7899[/b] | 60mins [b]15577[/b] | HM [b]82:33.3[/b] FM [b]2:50:48[/b]

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » May 10th, 2006, 1:40 pm

Some places are obscured because of security considerations. Cheltenham England hosts GCHQ and the whole of the town/city is blurred.

Perhaps Whitehorse is similar. Or it could be a prison and YJ only rows in his exercise period :lol:
OK, you've found me out :( . I'm hoping that by rowing my legs will get strong enough so that I can hop over that 10 ft. barb-wire fence and move to England :D .

I don't think it's security for us. About the only threat we pose is the Chainsaw chucking contest during Rendezvous! You don't want to be hit by a flying chainsaw!
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1151982539.png[/img]

Age 47, 6'0", 164 lbs.
100k row completed 11/25/06 7:48:45.2

andyArvid
Paddler

Sao Paulo Marathon

Post by andyArvid » May 28th, 2006, 11:31 am

A week from today I will be running the Sao Paulo Marathon. My training has not been going as well as I hoped. Training was going great but then I got sick with a bad flu a 3½ weeks ago and missed a week. Then missed a few more days trying to get back into the rhythm again. Everyday I pretty much had to force myself to run . I was going to run a 10k road race last Sunday to test myself but I gave up on that idea. I guess I was afraid that the result would not be good. I was beginning to dread the marathon. I hoped to be at 154 lbs but right now I am at 162. My training runs were a drag.

But the last few days have been good. and once again I think I have a chance at 3:20 (7:37 per mile). 3:20 qualifies for Boston. Today I really pushed it, running 12k (7.5 miles) in 52:15 at just over 7 minutes per mile. I had alot left. During my 3k rowing warm down I needed to put the brakes on.

My plan is to run 4:40/km (7:30/mile). It will allow me to slow down the last 9-10k to about 5:00/km (8:03 /mile) and hit 3:20. If I don't slow down, I run about 3:17.
andy m44y 78kg(172lbs) 1.76m(5'9") see [url=http://andyarvid.infogami.com/exercise_log]my training log[/url] or [url=http://decenturl.com/spreadsheets.google/andys-exercise-log]spreadsheet training log[/url]

ancho
6k Poster

Post by ancho » May 28th, 2006, 11:41 am

Andy: good luck with your run!
if you felt bad during those days running, you probably will feel great on you marathon day! :twisted:
Think you have a nice race plan, stick to it!

All the best,
yr 1966, 1,87 m, 8? kg
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1201739576.png[/img]
Be Water, My Friend!