Dreams

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
Rockin Roland
5k Poster

Re: Junk Metres

Post by Rockin Roland » September 24th, 2006, 6:08 pm

billw wrote:Hey Roland,

After reading various posts over last 3 years I do lots of erging at approx 70% of HRR - are these junk metres in your opinion ?

Should I be pushing self a bit harder than that to build up an aerobic base ?

Bill
Bill

Initially you need to build up an aerobic base through a lot of steady state rowing at approx. 70% max HR. However once your body has made adaptations to this sort of training, if you continue on the same path, then a lot of these meters can be binned as junk meters.

Unless your goal is to collect as many meters as possible, rather than performance, then you'll need to make some intensity changes. Even in the distance work I would always bring the heart rate over 85% for the last 25% of the workout. I'm a similar age to you and looking at my Rowpro workout reports, the last 10 minutes of my 30 minute workouts the heart rate is over 180 bpm.
PBs: 2K 6:13.4, 5K 16:32, 6K 19:55, 10K 33:49, 30min 8849m, 60min 17,309m
Caution: Static C2 ergs can ruin your technique and timing for rowing in a boat.
The best thing I ever did to improve my rowing was to sell my C2 and get a Rowperfect.

billw
Paddler

Re: Junk Metres

Post by billw » September 24th, 2006, 10:58 pm

TomR wrote:

How often do you row? How long/far do you go at 70%.

Based on what I've read, if you are doing lots of hour to hour-plus sessions, 70% is probably a good target. If your sessions are shorter and if you are only doing a few of these a week, then you might benefit from pushing the intensity a bit.

Tom
Roland wrote:
Initially you need to build up an aerobic base through a lot of steady state rowing at approx. 70% max HR. However once your body has made adaptations to this sort of training, if you continue on the same path, then a lot of these meters can be binned as junk meters.

Unless your goal is to collect as many meters as possible, rather than performance, then you'll need to make some intensity changes. Even in the distance work I would always bring the heart rate over 85% for the last 25% of the workout. I'm a similar age to you and looking at my Rowpro workout reports, the last 10 minutes of my 30 minute workouts the heart rate is over 180 bpm.

Roland

Gents,

Thanks for the replies - will increase intensity accordingly.

And Roland you may gave me some advice last year - I followed that and got a 60'PB. Well done us.

Bill