Ultimate Showdown

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
SwimmerTurnedRower
Paddler

Ultimate Showdown

Post by SwimmerTurnedRower » October 12th, 2007, 4:15 am

If you selected 8 guys from any sport and trained them for a year, which sport would win in an OTW competition? Which athlete out of all of them would have the fastest 2k? This is my speculation, please share yours:

Swimmers win, because of similar build/endurance compared to heavyweight rowers. Michael Phelps (who has superhuman lung capacity and resistence to lactate) would pull a 5:55, though Tim Duncan could give him a run for his money. If we consider lightweights, Lance Armstrong in his prime would pull the best 2k with a 6:15.

Out of the major sports, basketball players would win because of their combination of power and aerobic conditioning (not to mention size).

Cross country skiiers would win lightweight.
6'4" / 193 cm, 205 lbs./ 93kg.

500- 1:22.2
2k- 6:16.9 (1:34.2)
6k- 20:52 (1:44.3)

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » October 12th, 2007, 5:16 am

The cyclists are going to do well.

Rowers do well at cycling.

chgoss
10k Poster

Post by chgoss » October 12th, 2007, 9:05 am

Citroen wrote:
Rowers do well at cycling.
Bet that they need to loose a fair amount of weight though, The best cyclists are skinny fred's (at least the road racers, criterium/track are bigger)
52 M 6'2" 200 lbs 2k-7:03.9
1 Corinthians 15:3-8

tbartman
1k Poster

Post by tbartman » October 12th, 2007, 11:28 am

There was a recent article in the New York Times that touches on this subject that specifically mentioned rowers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/27/healt ... ref=slogin

or

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A9619C8B63

In my opinion (which matches what this article said), I tend to think "What does a world-class rower look like?" Clearly, the image that comes to mind is different than a world-class marathon runner, or gymnast, or football lineman. So, if I had to decide which athletes from a sport other than rowing are likely to be the best rowers, I'm going to go with the ones who seem to fit the build - the ones likely to have that unique combination of pure strength mixed with endurance that makes our sport so great. Here's my list (taken from the major U.S. sports and Olympic sports):

Better:
Swimming / Water Polo
Basketball
Hockey
Cross Country Skiing
Boxing
Tennis
Speed Skating

Middle:
Soccer (esp. defenders - the forwards are too short/small)
Bicycling (on the larger side)
Running (on the larger side)
Football (esp. running backs)
Lacrosse
Downhill Skiing

Bad:
Baseball
Gymnasts (I think pound for pound, are probably the strongest, but too light and short)
Other "burst" sports lasting on the order of seconds - diving, track and field

A good question is where would you put weight lifters, since the question often comes up is lifting weights a good way to improve rowing performance. I'd be tempted to put them on the middle-upper end of the scale.[/url]
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1225814673.png[/img]

RowtheRockies
6k Poster

Post by RowtheRockies » October 12th, 2007, 12:59 pm

Interesting Question that has been discussed before. For OTW, I would have to agree that swimmers would win hands down.

If we move it to the erg and still dedicate one year of training, I think I would have to go with Either Basketball or Rugby.

SwimmerTurnedRower, Let's add one more question to the discussion. If you had to pick ONE Athlete from any sport (other than rowing) to train for a year, who would you pick??

If I had to put money on one professional Athlete to have the best erg score after one year of erg training it would be Decathalete Tom Pappas. He has a great mix of strength, Power and endurance.

Stats:
6'5" 205lbs.
1500M PB 4:35.15
400M 47.58
100M 10.65

Rich
40 YO 6'1" 180 lbs. Rowing at 7,000 Ft.
SB's
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1213378765.png[/img]

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » October 12th, 2007, 1:06 pm

Volleyball players turned rowers tend to have all the qualities that work well. Height, athleticism, coordination, ability to use both legs together.

Some Rowing coaches have suggested that NFL linebacker types could also be made into good rowers.

I'd go with the V-ball players for the Ultimate Transition to Rowing Battle Royale. B)
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

SwimmerTurnedRower
Paddler

Post by SwimmerTurnedRower » October 12th, 2007, 1:23 pm

If I had to pick any single athlete for the erg (where being very large isn't neccesarily much of a disadvantage), I might actually pick one of the heavier UFC fighters. They are massively strong and need great endurance to get through fights. I was tempted to say Michael Phelps, but he has short legs relative to his height and swimming in general doesn't require very strong legs (it is about 70% upper body, the opposite of rowing).
6'4" / 193 cm, 205 lbs./ 93kg.

500- 1:22.2
2k- 6:16.9 (1:34.2)
6k- 20:52 (1:44.3)

icomefrombirmingham
2k Poster

Post by icomefrombirmingham » October 12th, 2007, 1:51 pm

I'm biased, but I would have to go with elite level rugby players; either from the back row of the scrum (#6,7 & 8) or perhaps the centres (#12 & 13).
Rugby (particularly forwards) has always done well in the studies I have seen which attempt to rank sport in terms of their "overall fitness" (strength, endurance, flexibility) levels required.
Mind you most of the players I ever played with wouldn't set foot in any vehicle that didn't have a keg on board...this may affect the set-up of the boat.

Australian Rules football players might do well too. They are generally pretty strong, usually tall and a lot of them cover a half-marathon in the course of a game.

Brent
6'2.5", 228lbs[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1247165781.png[/img]

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » October 12th, 2007, 3:01 pm

tbartman wrote:
A good question is where would you put weight lifters, since the question often comes up is lifting weights a good way to improve rowing performance. I'd be tempted to put them on the middle-upper end of the scale.[/url]
Most weight lifters I have observed have done very little to build up their endurance. They do lots of very short term intense work, but then rest in between. It is not at all like the long sustained work required for rowing. There have been some lifters who have contributed to this forum and, for the most part, they seem to concentrate on 500m pieces and low pull type efforts. In other words, the few erg pieces that rely on strength but don't require much endurance.

Bob S.

RowtheRockies
6k Poster

Post by RowtheRockies » October 12th, 2007, 3:52 pm

PaulS wrote:Volleyball players turned rowers tend to have all the qualities that work well. Height, athleticism, coordination, ability to use both legs together.

Some Rowing coaches have suggested that NFL linebacker types could also be made into good rowers.

I'd go with the V-ball players for the Ultimate Transition to Rowing Battle Royale. B)
Paul,

As a Rowing Coach, I’d be interested to see whom you would pick in these two scenarios:

1) You have the ability to pick any athlete from any sport, any country and intensely train them for 1 year to race against the top sculler in the world. Who would you pick and how close would they be to the top sculler after one year

2) You have the ability to pick any athlete from any sport, any country and intensely train them for 1 year to race against Graham Benton. Who would you pick and how close would they be to Graham in a 2k TT after one year?

Rich
SB's

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » October 12th, 2007, 4:25 pm

RowtheRockies wrote:
PaulS wrote:Volleyball players turned rowers tend to have all the qualities that work well. Height, athleticism, coordination, ability to use both legs together.

Paul,

As a Rowing Coach, I’d be interested to see whom you would pick in these two scenarios:

1) You have the ability to pick any athlete from any sport, any country and intensely train them for 1 year to race against the top sculler in the world. Who would you pick and how close would they be to the top sculler after one year

2) You have the ability to pick any athlete from any sport, any country and intensely train them for 1 year to race against Graham Benton. Who would you pick and how close would they be to Graham in a 2k TT after one year?

Rich
I'd have all necessary resources at my disposal?

Athlete: Pavel Shurmei
Boat Builder: Carl Douglas

1) WC Medal
2) Farther ahead than he already is. New WR.

:D

How about yourself?
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.

RowtheRockies
6k Poster

Post by RowtheRockies » October 12th, 2007, 5:53 pm

Paul,

I left out one critical piece of information. The athlete has to be from any sport OTHER than rowing.

As for me, I would have to go with Tom Pappas for the OTW rower and probablly the erger as well. He's a World Class Decathalete with A great mix of speed, strength, and endurance.

6'5" 205lbs.
400M 47.58
100M 10.65

Rich
SB's

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » October 12th, 2007, 7:20 pm

RowtheRockies wrote:Paul,

I left out one critical piece of information. The athlete has to be from any sport OTHER than rowing.

As for me, I would have to go with Tom Pappas for the OTW rower and probablly the erger as well. He's a World Class Decathalete with A great mix of speed, strength, and endurance.

6'5" 205lbs.
400M 47.58
100M 10.65

Rich
I thought you were making it too easy on me. :wink:

Tom sounds like a great specimen. I don't follow enough other sports closely enough to make a specific pick, though I'd guess I could find a Pro Beach Volleyball player that could make the A Final at the WC and give Mr. Benton a good run for the money after 1 year of sport specific rowing training.
Erg on,
Paul Smith

FB1
500m Poster

Post by FB1 » October 14th, 2007, 2:27 pm

Better:
Swimming / Water Polo
Basketball
Hockey
Cross Country Skiing
Boxing
Tennis
Speed Skating

Middle:
Soccer (esp. defenders - the forwards are too short/small)
Bicycling (on the larger side)
Running (on the larger side)
Football (esp. running backs)
Lacrosse
Downhill Skiing

Bad:
Baseball
Gymnasts (I think pound for pound, are probably the strongest, but too light and short)
Other "burst" sports lasting on the order of seconds - diving, track and field
MMA's
Rugby back row
speed skaters
Elite standup paddle boarders
400m hurdlers
decathletes
water polo players
Tiger Woods
Live well, play hard

Convicts by heritage, guilty by choice.

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » October 14th, 2007, 2:51 pm

SwimmerTurnedRower wrote:I was tempted to say Michael Phelps, but he has short legs relative to his height and swimming in general doesn't require very strong legs (it is about 70% upper body, the opposite of rowing).
All the things you mention as disadvantages, I feel are great advantages for rowing.

My pick is Michael Phelps, and swimming for the best sport as preparation for rowing.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2