FB1 and other Fat Boys CTC

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
FB1
500m Poster

Post by FB1 » June 14th, 2007, 2:32 pm

Snail,

The first step is to embrace middle age, accept that a semi-fit HW can still go hard, we just need to stop and refuel more often and that half lean is just a term to discribe under muscled with not enough fat for protection.

You are always welcome to drop by, you may even want to consider joining the dark side!! :twisted:

Cheers
FB1
Live well, play hard

Convicts by heritage, guilty by choice.

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » June 14th, 2007, 3:02 pm

Chad Williams wrote:FB5 I used a drag of 195 for the 666m, it is the highest I can get on the machine I use. When I did the 1.12 500m I did it on a different erg which had a drag of 217. If I can get back to this erg before the end of the month I will do a 666m on it.

Give it hell FB's.
Have you cleaned your fly wheel?

I'd bet you could modify the erg to get a higher drag. For example I think you could remove the damper on a model D. If the drag is too high without it you could lower it again using duct tape or something. Worse comes to worse you could cut the plastic at the air inlet to let more air in. I think you could order a replacement part to get it back to normal if you ever wanted to sell the machine. Other possibilities would be to make the holes in the perf cover bigger but that is probably a more expensive part. Maybe give concept II a call and find out what parts are cheep. I know your not supposed to modify the erg, but this is minor.

The schematics for the model D is here:
http://www.concept2.com/us/support/rowe ... /parts.asp

Can't imagine any one wanting a 217 drag factor but I can't imagine anyone rowing a 1:12 500 either :)

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » June 14th, 2007, 4:06 pm

Nosmo wrote:
Chad Williams wrote:FB5 I used a drag of 195 for the 666m, it is the highest I can get on the machine I use. When I did the 1.12 500m I did it on a different erg which had a drag of 217. If I can get back to this erg before the end of the month I will do a 666m on it.

Give it hell FB's.
Have you cleaned your fly wheel?

I'd bet you could modify the erg to get a higher drag. For example I think you could remove the damper on a model D. If the drag is too high without it you could lower it again using duct tape or something. Worse comes to worse you could cut the plastic at the air inlet to let more air in. I think you could order a replacement part to get it back to normal if you ever wanted to sell the machine. Other possibilities would be to make the holes in the perf cover bigger but that is probably a more expensive part. Maybe give concept II a call and find out what parts are cheep. I know your not supposed to modify the erg, but this is minor.

The schematics for the model D is here:
http://www.concept2.com/us/support/rowe ... /parts.asp

Can't imagine any one wanting a 217 drag factor but I can't imagine anyone rowing a 1:12 500 either :)
Just removing the Side cover will bump the DF quite high. Also taking the Stainless mesh screen out (Mode D & E) will give a signifigant but smaller increase than the total cover removal. (Caution: The screen serves to protect the user in case of catastrophic fan failure, a rare thing, but since it has happened I would suggest keeping the protection in place.)

DF 220 seems to be about the high for a new clean machine, and that should be high enough, IMO.
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » June 14th, 2007, 4:07 pm

You could take the cover off, and have someone hold a broom against the fan while you're rowing, which should increase the resistance. :)
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

Chad Williams
2k Poster

Post by Chad Williams » June 15th, 2007, 5:13 am

Like PaulS says, I don't think I need to go higher than 220 drag when doing these sprints.

PaulS, what would you say is the ideal drag for sprinting?

Somebody mentioned that erg tampering is not allowed, I have custom made foot plates (plastic ones with the holes in) for my erg as my feet do not fit into the standard plates. I have size 17 feet (UK). Will this have any effect if I set any sprinting World Records?

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » June 15th, 2007, 5:50 am

Chad Williams wrote:Like PaulS says, I don't think I need to go higher than 220 drag when doing these sprints.

Somebody mentioned that erg tampering is not allowed, I have custom made foot plates (plastic ones with the holes in) for my erg as my feet do not fit into the standard plates. I have size 17 feet (UK). Will this have any effect if I set any sprinting World Records?

Hi Chad,

It sounds you are very strong at the moment but what you are doing now is the same as what DA always did. Not doing anything in public. :wink:
So my question is, when do you appear in public?

Chad Williams
2k Poster

Post by Chad Williams » June 15th, 2007, 6:13 am

Yes, I am doing what Dwayne did to a point. But, I have only posted a time on the CTC thread; I am not as yet claiming any World Records. I am also not logging any of my short distance rows on the C2 ranking system. I have pulled the fastest 1000m ever for a 40+ year old (that I know of) and the 2nd fastest ever 500m.

Why I am the size and have the power at the moment I am going to aim for the sub 1.10 500m World Record, for this to stand I will have to have it videoed and properly witnessed, when I attempt it I will arrange for the video to be made available to all via a video hosting web site.

With regards to racing in public, I have no plans to do this at the moment, 2000m races are just not on the schedule in the near future. I really don’t now how much longer I can continue with rowing as in November this year I am of to Atlanta as part of a wrestling training academy. For this I need to keep my bulk, bulk and 2000m just don’t go.

hjs, just stick with me for a few more months.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » June 15th, 2007, 6:21 am

Chad Williams wrote:Yes, I am doing what Dwayne did to a point. But, I have only posted a time on the CTC thread; I am not as yet claiming any World Records. I am also not logging any of my short distance rows on the C2 ranking system. I have pulled the fastest 1000m ever for a 40+ year old (that I know of) and the 2nd fastest ever 500m.

Why I am the size and have the power at the moment I am going to aim for the sub 1.10 500m World Record, for this to stand I will have to have it videoed and properly witnessed, when I attempt it I will arrange for the video to be made available to all via a video hosting web site.

With regards to racing in public, I have no plans to do this at the moment, 2000m races are just not on the schedule in the near future. I really don’t now how much longer I can continue with rowing as in November this year I am of to Atlanta as part of a wrestling training academy. For this I need to keep my bulk, bulk and 2000m just don’t go.

hjs, just stick with me for a few more months.

Sounds fine,

For me racing in Public doesn,t have to be a 2k race. If someone rowed with others around him and video it, that would be proof enough.
You should also have a look athe 1k I think. If you manage that 1.10, a sub 1.20/1k would be very possible.

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » June 15th, 2007, 8:45 am

Chad Williams wrote:Like PaulS says, I don't think I need to go higher than 220 drag when doing these sprints.

It would all depend on your quickness, I prefer the lower DF's, but you seem to be handling the High DF's just fine. I don't have a way to answer that question decisively, probably up to a bit of trial and error to find what allows you to last the whole time while producing the fastest speed. Painful process, but worth it on the bleeding edge.

I'd give C2 a call regarding the footplates, it doesn't seem there should be a problem inless it changes the nature of the footplate in some way that could be proved an advantage.

"Wrestling"? :shock:
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

ancho
6k Poster

Post by ancho » June 15th, 2007, 9:09 am

PaulS wrote:...
"Wrestling"? :shock:
Hope you do better than Cracknell with his X-training :twisted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No_z9NyIf8s
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.j ... crac14.xml
He's a pretty fine rower, though...
yr 1966, 1,87 m, 8? kg
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1201739576.png[/img]
Be Water, My Friend!

TomR
6k Poster

Post by TomR » June 15th, 2007, 8:52 pm

Chad--

When you go for the record, please have live witnesses (plural) known to the forum in attendance. Video can be fiddled.

FB1--

Claiming FB status at 192 pounds might be considered false advertising by some. You sound svelte.

FB1
500m Poster

Post by FB1 » June 15th, 2007, 11:25 pm

TomR

Thanks, i'm not in denial of my pitiful FB status. I have been doing too many low rate OW miles and not enough quality eating! I am having to make a change in my stroke, (decreasing my knee angle at the catch) due to multiple knee ops.

Most importantly i'm still a FB at heart, right now i just happen to be the runt of the litter!

FB5 I will have a go at the 666m over the weekend!

Looking forward to seeing you post that 500m piece. I know how hard i had to work a few years back for my 1:18.2 for you to knock 8+ secs off that is incredible!

Cheers
FB1
Live well, play hard

Chad Williams
2k Poster

Post by Chad Williams » June 18th, 2007, 4:31 am

FB's I have always said that anyone that takes part in challenges should all do so equally. I have made the point before that people using slides for the CTC challenges have an unfair advantage and it should not be allowed in my view.

This being the case I feel it is not right for me to enter a time on the CTC with my modified (bigger) foot plates.
This being the case on Saturday I did the CTC on a model C with standard foot plates with no holes showing.
This felt very strange and I found it hard to get the power down as well as I normally do, given a few more sessions I could adapt my technique and get a bit faster but I wont be trying it again with this setting I will be reverting back to my own foot plates.

The time (1.44.1) was slower but that is what I expected, I will put this onto the CTC so that should make us all equal apart from those who use the slides.

Anymore FB's had a go yet?

FB1
500m Poster

Post by FB1 » June 18th, 2007, 8:00 pm

Did a 1:55.5 @ r35, yesterday. Still 192 lbs. :cry:

Cheers
FB1
Live well, play hard

Chad Williams
2k Poster

Post by Chad Williams » June 29th, 2007, 6:07 am

Nice going on the CTC guys, we have a full boat now. I will have another go before the end of the month to try and sneak a few more seconds and move us up another place.

Anyone esle going again?