Marathon

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
kjellv
Paddler

Marathon

Post by kjellv » February 12th, 2007, 5:40 am

I will do a marathon this spring and need someboddy to tell me how to prepare for this and how to complete this.

tomhz
2k Poster

Re: Marathon

Post by tomhz » February 12th, 2007, 6:02 am

kjellv wrote:I will do a marathon this spring and need someboddy to tell me how to prepare for this and how to complete this.
I finished 5 marathons now and try to do one once a year. I found that my FM's really improved every year while my HM's stayed about the same: you really need to learn to pace a marathon.

preparation: Do a few HM's to get a feel for a proper full marathon pacing. I would suggest to go for an average pace of HM pace +10 seconds if it is your first marathon and finishing is the target. If you feel confident about finishing you can aim for HM pace+5, but beware of being over optimistic. Try at least one 30k at planned FM pace and rethink.

The race: drink regurarly but not too often. Maybe once every 15 minutes. If you go for speed, row with one hand during drinking. For finishing: stop one minute to drink and stretch.

The last 5K: close your eyes and wonder why you wanted to do this FM

:wink:

Have fun!

Tom

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » February 12th, 2007, 2:54 pm

We've just discussed this exact subject over on the the other forum

http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13538

Skip
Paddler

Post by Skip » February 15th, 2007, 6:23 pm

Wow, thanks Citroen! That's an inspiring thread and I never would have seen it. I'm only a week into the ERG but am doing 10k a night and really enjoying it. The UK thread has me actually considering the HM & FM as a goal. Thanks for posting that link!
-Skip