Around the World Row!

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » January 5th, 2007, 11:40 am

I didn't think any of us had the same guess, so I scrolled back a few pages and mine is March 10, not 7. :oops:
I have admiration for those of you who can stay focussed on an erg for the Marathon or even longer. I still don't think I will be doing it any time soon.
We're always swapping PB stories Krysta, that's what helps to keep up the motivation. :)

Dave
David Chmilowskyj
M 56 6ft 4in/1.94m 230lb/105kg
Team Oarsome

Shannon
500m Poster

Post by Shannon » January 5th, 2007, 1:17 pm

Krysta Coleman wrote:Ouch on the 100 mile bicycle rides! See, for me, that would be far more painful than a few hours on an erg.

But someday, when I am fitter, I would like to try a 100 km row like my brother-in-law, Yukon John.
Krysta, since you coming up to Whitehorse in ten days, I'll bet you will be fitter by then, so you can do the 100K row then!!! I make a great cheering squad, drink refiller and general go-fer for 100K rowers. Just ask John! :D

I have not one January PB to report and I agree with Kirk, us lightweight shorter types are not made for this kind of CTC challenge! :?

Shannon
Female lightweight
Marathons completed: 3

[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1155489270.png[/img]

BriK
500m Poster

Post by BriK » January 5th, 2007, 1:28 pm

Alright, alright ... with all those great PBs that you guys did, you will be pardonned, and I will put away the cat-o-nine-tails again (at least for now :twisted: ).

Actually since my guess was for March 19, I should probably rather think of creative ways to slow you all down ....

Biking 100 miles in a piece, Kirk!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Wow, that's huge, and although I like my bike too, I think I will pass.

By the way: who is the "Team Canada" (just for curiosity's sake)? I have never heard from them before.

No PBs for me at the moment: rowing long and rowing fast don't go well together. Don't know if I will try the CTC this month: 1000m @24spm sounds downright evil. So my greatest respect to you, Dave, Kirk and Ellen!

Jim, I have my own Access databaes that I started years ago to keep track of my weight, training etc., and that I added by and by a lot of gimmicks to. I import my training data from RowPro (since I'm such a lazy bugger), and uploading the graph to Ripway is just a key click. There are of course also nice online tickers like tickerfactory.com, but I think it's just too much of a hassle to change my data all the time, and change the profile (as I said, I'm a lazy bugger). The progress bar is nice in that it helps me to see if I'm still on track. One could probably do that with ASP too, and track the data directly from C2, but I haven't tried that yet (maybe one day when I really have nothing to do).

Happy rowing everyone!

Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » January 5th, 2007, 2:28 pm

I got a couple of emails via C2 asking me to join Team Canada for the challenge. I guess someone just wants to promote Canada for this challenge rather than start a new permanent team.

Dave

Eh! Teamer
David Chmilowskyj
Team Oarsome

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » January 5th, 2007, 3:40 pm

I got the e-mails too. It would be nice if there would be some way to invite the Team Canada people to join us for rowing round the world once the January Challenge is done.
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1151982539.png[/img]

Age 47, 6'0", 164 lbs.
100k row completed 11/25/06 7:48:45.2

RR1 Kirk
1k Poster

Post by RR1 Kirk » January 5th, 2007, 3:50 pm

I tried to recruit the guy who contacted me for our team and the CTC.
As the team is only for virtual challenge perhaps we will get some additional members at month's end.
Kirk Nelson [img]http://www.c2forum.com/images/avatars/338518880475195dbd7bd8.jpg[/img]
49yrs, 5'7.5", 145 lb.
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1167078175.png[/img]
"It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg Lemond

Trevor
Paddler

Post by Trevor » January 5th, 2007, 4:16 pm

I might take a crack at the CTC this weekend, like the rest of us I seem to be focusing more on distance than speed. Also On January 2 the rower at the gym was occupied at noon so I couldn't use it. I decided to do squats which turned out to be a real mistake as my quadriceps, gluteals and hamstring muscles have been painful since (better today). My maximum force is also reduced (I usually row at 2:05 average, now I have a tough time averaging 2:09). Until my leg muscles recover there is little point in attempting the CTC.

Trevor
5' 10.5" 183 lb 53 years

Trevor
Paddler

Post by Trevor » January 5th, 2007, 4:49 pm

Just got an email from Team Canada. Should we join them en masse? Seems we can be members of both teams

Trevor
5' 10.5" 183 lb 53 years

Krysta Coleman
500m Poster

Post by Krysta Coleman » January 5th, 2007, 5:37 pm

I don't think we can be part of both teams for the January challenge. I think, in the email I received, that they meant we could be part of a regular club (like Taff Attack Racing, in my case) and also part of another team for this challenge. But probably not part of two teams for the challenge itself.

I agree, though, that you guys should take names and do some serious recruiting for the CTC and the Eh!Team regular club. Maybe a good form letter, like Louis-Eric has come up with, could be sent to all those Team Canada folks.

- KC
5'7", 35 years old, trying to regain fitness. Old PBs:

Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » January 5th, 2007, 5:39 pm

I too got the "be in both teams" email. I guess there's no harm in being in both. I think A M already is.
We, at Team Canada, are amazed by the distances put in by The Eh! Team and the fine work done by Brigitte; we would have liked to have you all onboard at the beginning of the January Challenge. In fact, quite a few members inquired about joining both teams ! I have therefore contacted Concept2 and have obtained the permission to list you under both of our teams. This means that you would still be able to row with the Eh! team, while also being able to row under the national banner (and finally oust out those pesky Free Spirits :) ). Meters rowed would essentially count twice. If you feel like joining us (we have a fantastic esprit de corps, forums and social events underway), we would love to have you. To register for the Team, simply visit:

http://www.louis-eric.com/rowing/vtc200 ... ber=166312
David Chmilowskyj
Team Oarsome

Krysta Coleman
500m Poster

Post by Krysta Coleman » January 5th, 2007, 7:36 pm

Ah, you are right. I stand corrected about not being able to be in both teams. Are you guys planning to do that?
Loius-Eric wrote:We actually have about half a dozen members who are Eh! Team rowers, some of whom row for both teams at once. We've asked Concept2 to allow for this so that rowers can join their regular teams (as virtual as they may be) as well as row under a national banner. Your meters will simply count twice ! Should I count you in ?
5'7", 35 years old, trying to regain fitness. Old PBs:

Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » January 5th, 2007, 7:38 pm

I joined after my previous posting and was added soon after...then rowed for an hour!

Dave
David Chmilowskyj
Team Oarsome

danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » January 5th, 2007, 9:28 pm

In my defense, I uh....
uh....
uh.... I had to celebrate all these PBs by fellow team members.
Thank goodness, Bridgitte has hung up her cat-o-nine-tails. I hope someone had the foresight to lock the door.

I'm still a little confused about this two-team thing. I agree with Krysta's first assessment - that you could me a member of one real team and one JanChallenge team at the same time, but not two JanChallenge teams.
And the note that Dave posted from Team Canada said it was okay to belong to The Eh! Team and Team Canada at the same time, not The Eh! Team All Stars and Team Canada at the same time. And, when I looked at the JanChallenge Teams tab, I didn't notice anybody listed as a member of more than one team. I'll watch and see what happens. I guess if it were possible, we could have all members of each team also join the other and we'd have two first place teams with the same total meters - hard to believe that was intended.

Well, enough of that. I still haven't finished celebrating all of Dave's PBs. I may have to do a beer run tonight.

danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » January 5th, 2007, 9:40 pm

Update: I looked again and I do see people who belong to the same JanChallenge team at the same time. Please disregard previous doubts.

RR1 Kirk
1k Poster

Post by RR1 Kirk » January 6th, 2007, 4:06 am

Relax Dan, I'll have a beer with you! :D

Did some cross training today. I went kayaking on Rice Lake this afternoon. 13°C B) . This lake is usually covered in ice for 3-4 weeks by now. I'd rather paddle on it than skate on it.

Easy erg. 40 min+ WU & CD

Cheers,
Kirk Nelson [img]http://www.c2forum.com/images/avatars/338518880475195dbd7bd8.jpg[/img]
49yrs, 5'7.5", 145 lb.
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1167078175.png[/img]
"It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg Lemond