Garmin Connect

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
RDL
Paddler

Garmin Connect

Post by RDL » July 24th, 2021, 4:30 pm

Hi all.

Apologies if this has been done to death but I'm still unsure what's the best way of using my Garmin Fenix 6 to record my rows along side the C2 Logbook.

I haven't got my machine yet but its due next week and I can't wait.

I know that my Fenix 6 has both the ability to log 'Indoor Rows' but that it will be missing some metrics. Not fully sure what though. Can anyone confirm?

The Fenix 6 can also treat the PM5 as a 'sensor' as I understand it and have all the data the PM5 can provide.

Lastly I can link my C2 logbook to Garmin Connect and have the workout synced across with I presume all data however it will not be used by Garmin to update 'Training Status/Load' which I would prefer to avoid.

This is where my confusion is starting to creep in.

If I use the first option I lose some data/might have to manually add it after, but I get my 'Training Status' updated in Garmin Connect which I would like to keep up to date along with my cycling and running.

If I use the second option and use the PM5 as a sensor I get all data and Training Status updated however if I've read correctly doing this option means the workout doesn't get sent to my C2 Logbook? Obviously I don't want that to happen or have I misunderstood?

I got that impression from this link...

https://www.concept2.co.uk/news/connect ... ces-to-pm5

and this part specifically...

"Workouts recorded with ANT+ FE-C will be included in Garmin’s Training Status but will not update to the Concept2 Online Logbook."

I'm kind of disregarding option 3 as it loses the 'Training Status/Load' which I want to avoid.

So can anyone who has a Garmin device that is compatible with the PM5 confirm what the best option seems to be. Without actually having the machine yet but wanting to get off to the best start without too much messing on the data side id prefer too.

I'm leaning towards keeping the two separate and just logging the row on my Fenix as an 'Indoor Row' and accepting some data loss but getting my Training Status updated and letting the PM5 just sync to the Logbook only and not send to Garmin.

Apologies for the long winded question and thanks for any help with this one.
39 - 6'2" - HWT

Tsnor
2k Poster

Re: Garmin Connect

Post by Tsnor » July 27th, 2021, 12:15 am

based on what I do for fitbit, I'd try getting your data by

Heartrate from Fenrix 6 to PM5 over ANT+. While rowing the PM5 will display your ANT+ heart rate. Your Fenrix will display it also, but it's hard to read a watch while rowing.

Use ERGdata to capture PM5 data. This gets all the per-stroke information plus the HR captured from the Fenrix. Stroke data and heart rate are saved for every stroke. You can also look at the Ergdata display while rowing. In addition to standard pm5 information it has a computed length of stroke which I find useful. You can also display watts on Ergdata and splits on Pm5 and see both at the same time, etc.

Sync ERGdata with your C2 log. This puts all the data into C2's log where you can access it, pull it down into spread sheets where you can graph/analyze it.

Setup the C2 log to automatically propagate the C2 log to Garmin Connect. The data path is from the C2 log server to the Garmin server. For fitbit the data appears in my fitbit dashboard immediately after I sync ergdata to teh C2 log. Not sure how fast Garmin gets the data from c2.

re: "..I'm leaning towards keeping the two separate and just logging the row on my Fenix as an 'Indoor Row' and accepting some data loss but getting my Training Status updated and letting the PM5 just sync to the Logbook only and not send to Garmin..."
With apple and fitbit the apple or fitbit server recognizes that it is getting data on the same workout from both the watch and from C2 and does some work to combine the information. for fitbit this means avoiding double counting workout times and overriding the fitbit estimated calories with the c2 provided calories. Not sure what garmin does. fitbit does not use or display any per=stroke information so not sure if C2 sends it. Net: try letting C2 sync log data to Garmin before deciding not to sync.

Agree with you that using just the Fenrix and PM5 without the C2 log is not the best approach. And you won't get the 1M meter tee shirt you'll otherwise get after your first year or so.

RDL
Paddler

Post by RDL » July 28th, 2021, 8:34 am

Tsnor wrote:
July 27th, 2021, 12:15 am

…Not sure what garmin does…

Agree with you that using just the Fenrix and PM5 without the C2 log is not the best approach. And you won't get the 1M meter tee shirt you'll otherwise get after your first year or so.
Thanks for the input.

Based on what I’ve found Garmin will create to activities. The ‘Row Indoor’ I start on the watch and then the synced activity from the C2Logbook.
Not a huge issue at the end of the day as only one will affect my ‘Training Status’ but I will end up with skewed distances etc.

With regard to using the PM5 as a sensor with my watch I’m pretty much set on disregarding that option. I’m not prepared to lose the milestones and rewards from Concept2’s side.

The rower is to be delivered on Saturday, just as I go into a back week of shifts. Typical!
I’ll be ‘messing’ about at first. Working on technique and getting a feel for it again.

I think I’ll start with the PM5 connected to ErgData and syncing to the C2Logbook and use that for my main source of data crunching.
I’ll also just start a ‘Row Indoor’ on my Fenix 6 to keep my ‘Training Status’ but accept less data on the Garmin side depending on whether I can manually add the missing data afterwards. I will have to see once I get started.

Ultimately though. Seems a shame that the ability to make full use of the PM5 exists for Garmin but that it forces you to choose one or the other for that data to be logged.

I’ll do some experimenting once I have everything set up, but if anyone else has specific experience with my setup any further pointers would be great.
39 - 6'2" - HWT

RDL
Paddler

Post by RDL » August 1st, 2021, 3:27 pm

Ok.

So the rower arrived yesterday but I didn't get a chance to touch it until today.

The consensus on the Garmin forum seemed to be that despite what Concept2 state you can connect the PM5 to a compatible Garmin device and use it as a sensor and still have ErgData update your logbook with metres rowed etc.

So in my case I have a compatible device. A Fenix 6s Pro. I can confirm that it does indeed appear to work just fine so if anyone else comes across this and in a similar situation the following is my setup.

Garmin Fenix 6s Pro (16.70)

Garmin HRM Pro (7.40)

Concept2 RowErg (Model D) with PM5 (208)

Concept2 ErgData App (iOS 1.4.4)

Firstly I paired the HRM Pro (Ant+) to the PM5.

Then I paired the PM5 to the Fenix 6 as a sensor.

Finally I opened ErgData and connected to the PM5.

I then start the activity on the Fenix and begin to row which ErgData picks up as well.

On completion I stopped and saved on the watch and the same on ErgData.
Having briefly looked at both Garmin Connect and the Logbook the data matches pretty much exactly (1 extra stroke in Garmin Connect).

Hope this is of some use to others at some point as from just reading what Concept2 state you are led to believe it wont work like above and will basically have to lose your metres logged if using the PM5 as a sensor.
39 - 6'2" - HWT