TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
dutchcan
Paddler

TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY

Post by dutchcan » March 23rd, 2006, 8:37 am

I suppose this isn't a relevant question, because everyones circumstances are unique, but here goes anyways:

I belong to a gym, and that is where I row three times a week. I'm a relative newbie to the sport, but I love it. My routine usually consists of a 10-minute warmup followed by weight training and then 30 minutes erging. The thing is, I can only go to the gym at 4 in the afternooon due to work and other commitments. I've been toying around with the idea of buying a Concept 2. The idea that I would have it onhand whenever I feel the whim, is tempting, not to mention the fact that summer is fast approaching, and heading out to the gym at 4 in the afternoon is not very appealing.

What I'm wondering, is that those of you who have purchased an erg, is it all what you imagined it to be, or has it been suffering a bit from neglect? The old cliche that home gym equipment ends up at next years garage sale is deterring me a bit. :? I know it's all a matter of self- discipline, and indeed, how much you are really into it. Having just started erging, would you more seasoned rowers suggest I wait longer before taking the plunge, or has your love of the sport just continued to grow?

John Hendrie
1k Poster

Post by John Hendrie » March 23rd, 2006, 8:52 am

I have had my own erg for more than 10 years now and I highly recommend it. I have rowed at gyms on a few occasions (while traveling) and know that I would rapidly lose interest if that were my only option. The ability to row at any time, as often as you wish, is very valuable. And, in the remote possibility that you lose interest, resale value on C2 ergs is very high. You can't lose but you can win a lot.

Go for it - john

mbrairton
Paddler

Post by mbrairton » March 23rd, 2006, 9:09 am

When I bought one of the first production model C's I did not live anywhere near a gym that would have one. It was my only choice, but now I am really glad about it. I now am a very pleased owner of a Model D, and will be reaching my first 1O million meter award hopefully by the end of this month. Make the plunge, use it, enjoy it and you will never regret your decision. Good luck!

nteeman
500m Poster

Post by nteeman » March 23rd, 2006, 9:20 am

Over the years I have owned different home exercise machines but in time they either broke down, I broke down, or stopped using them for some other reason. I have owned my C2 model C for almost 5 years now. I row every day. It is easy to maintain (I recently changed the shock cord and idler pullies for the first time) and could not imagine not having one. Best health investment I have ever made. :D
-nteeman

nkoffler
Paddler

Post by nkoffler » March 23rd, 2006, 12:25 pm

I've had me erg since the fall of 2000. I bought it in lieu of gym membership. I've been a devoted user ever since. I'd highly reccomend it.

Neil
Neil K.
Forest Hills, NY
Men's LW, 42 years old

Francois
1k Poster

Post by Francois » March 23rd, 2006, 12:40 pm

One advantage of having your own erg is that you can have a fan next to it to keep you cool.

I bought mine two years ago, and it is the best piece of equipment I have ever purchased. I subsequently purchased an expensive treadmill, and that was a big mistake! :(

In terms of maintenance, all I have done was to oil the chain after every 40 hours of usage.

Cheers!

Francois
49, 5'10.5" (1.79m), 153 lbs (69.5 kg)
1k 3:19.6 | 2k 6:42.8 | 5k 17:33.8 | 10K 36:43.0 | 30' 8,172m | 60' 16,031m

michaelb
2k Poster

Post by michaelb » March 23rd, 2006, 1:00 pm

I bought my C2 about 9 years ago, when I decided that a monthly membership to swim was costing a fortune, and I realized that I probably wasn't going to really lift again. If you are going to give up lifting, the C2 is a good choice since it may help maintain some strength and keep you at least feeling strong. It is at least better than any other aerobic activity in that regard.

I have always like mine, but used it interminently for the first several years, since we kept remodeling and it kept getting kicked out of those empty spaces. It is really big and takes a lot of room. I now have dedicated my own corner to my rower, with a TV, computer, and stereo, and I am very happy with that set up.
M 51 5'9'' (1.75m), a once and future lightweight
Old PBs 500m-1:33.9 1K-3:18.6 2K-6:55.4 5K-18:17.6 10K-38:10.5 HM-1:24:00.1 FM-3:07.13

dutchcan
Paddler

Post by dutchcan » March 23rd, 2006, 5:33 pm

Well, after reading all these kudos, I guess I really have no choice. :wink: All the reasons given were all the reasons I've been thinking about buying the Concept 2. I can hardly wait! I'm most curious if my times will be better in the morning, since I'm far 'fresher' in the wee hours of the morning. Thanks for your help!

DavidA
10k Poster

Post by DavidA » March 23rd, 2006, 5:39 pm

It is certainly worth it in my opinion. I can row whenever I want, I don't need to get a bag of things ready and take time to go anywhere and come back, I can easily listen to or watch whatever I want, I can do it outdoors if I am so inclined, I can make sure that it is always kept clean and working well, I can get the kids to try it once in a while :), I can be available if the family needs me (so I am more likely to be able to have SWMBO let me row :), etc.
So go for it! :D
63 y / 70 kg / 172 cm / 5 kids / 17 grandkids :)
Received my model C erg 18-Dec-1994
my log

hepting
500m Poster

Post by hepting » March 23rd, 2006, 6:08 pm

Well here is my story if it helps... I struggled with the same thing 4 years ago before I bought my model C. Forget about the fact that the machine is relatively cheap compared to other industrial strength equipment - I was concerned about buying a $800 hanger for my laundry.

I bought the machine, used it like crazy for 1 week - remembered how much it hurt, then looked at it in the corner for about a month. Then a buddy called and asked if I wanted to participate in the holiday challenge - that was enough to get me going, I found e-row (now Rowpro) which helped a ton, 4 holiday challenges, countless online rows, 2 erg sprints and almost 3 Million meters later I am still at it.

My point, if you get the machine take advantage of C2's support and the vast community, it made a huge difference to me. Knowing someone is waiting for me online - or not wanting to be too embarrassed in a race have really gotten me to hang in for the long haul.

Bottom line - BUY THE MACHINE!! and have some fun.

Sasha
500m Poster

Post by Sasha » March 23rd, 2006, 7:46 pm

I'm going to pile on here because I am mulling over the same question. My gym is a mile and a half away, but I'm at my desk at 6:30 AM and don't arrive home until 5:30PM. By the time I get to the gym it is crowded and I am very crabby. And I have a birthday coming up. I always buy myself a decent gift. That way I get what I want

On the other hand, I'm new to this and don't have a great exercise track record. On the third hand, this is the only thing I have ever actually liked.

I am a little concerned about the package which weighs more than I am accustomed to managing (age 62, female, and very overweight) and the difficulty of putting it together. And advice about managing the delivery/build process? Or is this a silly concern?

ancho
6k Poster

Post by ancho » March 23rd, 2006, 8:09 pm

Sasha wrote:I'm going to pile on here because I am mulling over the same question. My gym is a mile and a half away, but I'm at my desk at 6:30 AM and don't arrive home until 5:30PM. By the time I get to the gym it is crowded and I am very crabby. And I have a birthday coming up. I always buy myself a decent gift. That way I get what I want

On the other hand, I'm new to this and don't have a great exercise track record. On the third hand, this is the only thing I have ever actually liked.

I am a little concerned about the package which weighs more than I am accustomed to managing (age 62, female, and very overweight) and the difficulty of putting it together. And advice about managing the delivery/build process? Or is this a silly concern?
I got my model D as a self-xmas gift.
I am not using it as much as I thought, because I an having rather bizarre working times, and I try to row on the water as often as I can.
Nevertheless it's good to know that you may have a midnight row (if you have energy left) whenever you want, and I am using it regularly.
The erg is not very light, but it's extremely easy to assemble, so: go ahead!
Check with your physician before starting to work out too hard, and you'll see you will be improving soon!

Happy rowing! :)
yr 1966, 1,87 m, 8? kg
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1201739576.png[/img]
Be Water, My Friend!

Hal Morgan
500m Poster

Post by Hal Morgan » March 23rd, 2006, 11:37 pm

Rowing at the gym was social. I also had trouble trying to read the closed caption on the TV. I am not a racer. I talked it over with my lovely bride and gave the gym a heave ho. I now row at home in front of the dvd-tv and watch rock concerts and action flicks. I find that I am working to hard on the job and after diner is a good time to do the crossword puzzle. So, a differnet mind set had to come into play. I copied the Willamette river from a topographical atlas. I am rowing from Eugene to Portland. Perhaps you have heard of Tiff Wood and the CPR. Corvallis to Portland regatta. I would barf blood before I got to Salem.
What I am getting at is make it interesting and do it before dinner.
If you are social and motivated by people exercising stay in the gym.
Sincerely,
Hal Morgan or aka
Harold Muchler
48 1/2 male 192 lbs 5'11"
rowing erg since 9/04
on water since 9/05

rowing it's a niche sport

dutchcan
Paddler

Post by dutchcan » March 24th, 2006, 3:03 am

Sasha, we're kindred spirits. I've had the same 'problem' in the past, and as Hepting wrote, it's a pretty expensive 'place to hang your laundry'.
But I have to say, that I'm more motivated then ever, and plan on heading out this weekend to take a look. I've already searched around for used ergs, but no luck. I see this as a good sign. :D [/quote]

dutchcan
Paddler

Post by dutchcan » March 24th, 2006, 3:12 am

What I am getting at is make it interesting and do it before dinner.
If you are social and motivated by people exercising stay in the gym
I'm so glad you wrote this. For years I worked out happily at home; it was all I could afford and time constraints made it a perfect solution. Then my sister joined a gym, and I guess I felt my workout somehow didn't 'count' because how could I possibly get a good workout in my living room, right? while she had access to all the latest equipment. So, after a year of listening to her extol the virtues of the 'club way of life', I joined the gym. At first I felt I had found the holy grail...so THIS is what everyone is talking about. But after a year, and having finally discovered what I really like to do, which is erging, I've grown disenchanted with the gym scene. I have never needed the motivation that comes from watching others sweating it, which strangely enough led me to the Concept in the first place. It was the one machine that no one seemed to be drawn to. Being a solitary person, it was only a matter of time that I would. And oh, am I glad I did! :D